User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 3 Jan 2008, 12:42   #1
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little
Planetarion: Some Thoughts and Suggestions

This here is a thread I've just written in the past half hour or so, condensing some thoughts I've had regarding Planetarion over the past round (think of it as simplistic alternative thread to Jester's far more enigmatic thread here: http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=193999) referring to the just mentioned thread of jester's as well as discussions I've had over the past couple of years with many names and thoughtful faces throughout the world of Planetarion. However this isn't in depth at all, as I've just wanted to get most of it out for discussion, if not the solutions at least the Observations. I've tried to keep everything as simple as possible as well.

Alliances Mechanics-

For all calling out for a drop in the membersize there's some key parts you're ignoring: the real issue with alliances right now is the lack of competent / willing HC's and officers for the alliances there are right now, let alone for even more to emerge. If you cut down alliances to their elite core, do you expect one of the lesser members (the fat off the meat) to brew together themselves and make themselves competitive? I don't think that's the key to make the main target of planetarion more accessible to compete in for more of it's memberbase. But I'll get further onto that in the section below related to rankings.

Scoring/Ranking-

The amount of players playing in planetarion that are genuinely competing for the #1 aim of the game which at one point or another ended up being #1 alliance is near enough next to insignificant now. I suspect the game of going for the #1 alliance with alliances how they are is developing to be rather stale. This is inexplicably tied in with "selfish" players of whom there are a plenty of these days, more noticeable perhaps than in the so-called golden days due to the proportion of a useful players to self-minded ones. With this in mind, perhaps the key would be in an alteration of a planet ranking system.

The issue I'm trying to get that is there is too many different targets for players to independantly go for without enough players to support a competition in each field. Perhaps it is time to condense the game into having maybe only certain targets? Alliances v Galaxies/BG's have always existed but now maybe the time to pull it into the main field of contention? I refer to Rob's suggested idea (too lazy to look for thread right now) but basically allow private galaxies. Except people in private galaxies cannot join a tag. There's a wide range of possibilities you can expand upon from this one such being:

Say a private galaxy of 20, and the gal score is multiplied by 2.5 and it competes versus alliance tags of upto 75? (maybe 20x2 and 50?) This is something I just popped out of my head, basically I find the idea of playing with friends interesting and I hate planetarion forcing me to do otherwise.

With regards to scoring system I think small but ultimately needed changes such as the all res and all prod being counted into value / score is quite needed. Little touches there.

Ship Stats-

R21-23, R24-25 The stats have barely changed and this is entirely unacceptable in my opinion. Planetarion is bland enough without having to play the same scenario more or less twice, surely? My views on stats are well documented by now I can't really say anything more on it because everything I have to suggest is too radical for a PAteam that's too lazy to even create a new set of bland linear stats in between rounds, let alone something innovative.

PATeam/MHTeam/Jolt-

We've all got to accept that Planetarion is basically dead, every round people post with hope of things we could do to revive the memberbase and find a golden duck that lays eggs to a few thousand new players. But let's face it, it isn't going to happen. Planetarion has minimal effort put into it by the people that own the game and I don't think the game deserves any new players to be honest. There have been a ridiculous amount of opportunities for ample marketing possibilities with the boom of myspace, facebook and christ knows how many other sites; possibilities of partnership with all different kinds of internet vehicles and instead absolutely NOTHING has been done except those god ****ing forsaken MPOGD voting sprees once a year or whatever it is that does **** all at all, in reality.

With regards to MH team I'm pretty confused with things. Why is there an alliance memberlist if support planets aren't illegal? Mind you I don't think they should be ILlegal at all. As far as cheating / rules goes I suppose it's pretty obvious PA is tighter than a baby's buttocks when it comes to even the littlest of things and frankly, it's infuriating. The babysitting jobs of MH isn't what they should be doing: NOT A SINGLE PERSON IS GOING TO GET CORRUPTED BY SWEARING OR PICTURES OF TITTIES. Stop pretending or upholding a fake sense of pathetic morality it honestly disgusts and repulses me. Sure, actual full blown abuse against a player (unless it's alki or arc, or such people who deserve it) there's a line people shouldn't cross I suppose. But the more or less "internet police" line of pushing away the few players you have by being uptight over meaningless things is pretty annoying guys.

In an overall view of what the MH do or have done in the past few rounds there seems to be a total lack of focus and obvious nepotism in the mix and it's not helping anything. PA needs a lot more liberality to do with it.

In what I'm sure is a controversial opinion / option of extending the scope to planetarion is that I would consider allowing account sharing and farming. Multi-ing is still a no, but PA is about 4 years behind with the lack of account sitting abilities to pretty much any vague form of a worthwhile online text game (that requires regular activity at least): Stop making masochism a required element of personality to play. With regards to farming, that's probably too much liberty for most of our forum posters but I think it'd actually make the game somewhat more interesting if you take the above idea about rankings(all v gal_) into it.

I've gotten bored of typing now, so I'm going to stop. I'll probably not add more of my own thoughts for a while (if ever) but I'll reply to any discussion.

edit: I meant support planets should NOT be illegal (which they aren't) but what is the point of a memberlimit to alliances then if it isn't!

Last edited by jerome; 3 Jan 2008 at 12:49.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2008, 13:14   #2
shik
Sorry, Chicken...

shik is infamous around these partsshik is infamous around these parts
Re: Planetarion: Some Thoughts and Suggestions

who do you think will read this? MH Team? Jolt? PA Team?
Maybe you get 1 or 2 ppl out of them all to read it and they think thats either undiscussable or they just dont care^^

i personally second most of your thought, but its not the memberbase fighting for rank 1 that you have to care about i think, its those members who always again go into the race end never ended up even top 300 or even top 500.

an idea to do that is dividing the universe even more by value.
make a cap to def, as you did with attin. you can only def planets with 70 to 120 % value of your planet, and rise the attcap from 40% to lets say 80%.

this makes the game interesting even for someone who plays the lower 500 ranks, and it forces alliances to grow together.

yeah whatever~
Unread 3 Jan 2008, 13:28   #3
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

All good thoughts jer, but you pointed out exactly why I tend not to write posts like yours anymore - nobody's going to care, or have the time to implement them.

I partly disagree with your statement about reducing the alliance size limits not increasing the competition. CT is pretty much tiny now, I can't comment on Ascendancy or Ministry or the like, but it would allow groups like that to compete as an alliance. Still, you're right about the lack of HCs and officers, and yeah, thats because the game simply isn't worth it, and unfortunately never will be.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2008, 13:36   #4
Coltaine
7th Malazan Army

Coltaine has a spectacular aura aboutColtaine has a spectacular aura aboutColtaine has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
PATeam/MHTeam/Jolt-

We've all got to accept that Planetarion is basically dead, every round people post with hope of things we could do to revive the memberbase and find a golden duck that lays eggs to a few thousand new players. But let's face it, it isn't going to happen. Planetarion has minimal effort put into it by the people that own the game and I don't think the game deserves any new players to be honest. There have been a ridiculous amount of opportunities for ample marketing possibilities with the boom of myspace, facebook and christ knows how many other sites; possibilities of partnership with all different kinds of internet vehicles and instead absolutely NOTHING has been done except those god ****ing forsaken MPOGD voting sprees once a year or whatever it is that does **** all at all, in reality.
Finally somebody spoke that out aloud.
I cant recall the amount of times i've heard that "theres no money for advertisement/marketing" crap. You guys have no clue about the web you're moving in. Infact, thats just a pretty cheap excuse for your flippant listlessness.
Coltaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2008, 16:01   #5
Fiery
PA Team

Fiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud of

Jer,
Bitching about my team? Put up or shut up. I expect your application for MH Team in my message box within the hour.
Fiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2008, 17:53   #6
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

I agree pretty much on all accounts.

I am against trying to balance or isolate the different game objectives, RE: Rob's suggestion. I would like to see alliance rankings dropped from the game entirely. I don't think the race to see who can tag the highest score from an arbitrary number of members is interesting and the games attempts to balance the alliance game through rules and enforcement have been intrusive and ineffective. People have to literally dedicate themselves to not winning in order to make the alliance game competitive and when the alliance game stagnates the entire game stagnates. Meanwhile as jer says you've got unmotivated members unwilling to step up and take charge or take on the kind of work it takes to run a team of that size effectively. Alliances have always relied on a small group of people to do a ton of work and that required a pool of motivated players to draw from. As that pool has dried the situation of a few players being expected to do all the work has become farcical in many places.

I disagree that this is a sign that alliances should be bigger so that this small group can be exploited by largest possible unhelpful mass of members. That will just overwork them more and further shrink the pool of people willing to work. Making things smaller holds out the promise of reducing the workload to the point where people might be willing to step up and help out.

Everything that I see tells me that people want to work mainly in smaller groups where work can be shared more effectively while being much freer to associate with other people. Let's make the galaxy game more competitive and interesting and let people freely associate around that and the planet rankings instead of continuing to prop up an artificial alliance setup that was never supposed to be official in the first place and formed to support planet/gal players rounds and rounds ago when the game was quite different.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse

Last edited by K-W; 3 Jan 2008 at 18:25.
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2008, 18:36   #7
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Scoring/Ranking-
The scoring system for Planetarion seems to be rather boring at times, especially for alliances.

As an individual player I like XP, it means I can still keep a decent score even though I get bashed a bit. However if you look at alliances on Sandmans you can see that even though alliances can take a drop in roids their score consistently goes up. What's the point in hitting alliances when it's nearly impossible to drop their score enough to overtake them?

The only slightly interesting thing about the last round was NewDawn and Conspiracy being fairly close in score, but for the rest of the alliances it's not exactly easy to move up the ranks.

Quote:
Ship Stats-
Considering how complex the stats have now become is it a good idea to totally change them every round? We're dealing with more races and now even more targets than before. The rounds are so short that we hardly get much time to play with a set of stats! At least having minor tweaks allows us to use our knowledge of the last round to try and improve for the next round.

How long would it take for a new set of stats to be made with the current system? I'm guessing at least 2-3 weeks for the stats to be made and for players to test them, giving feedback and tweaking them accordingly. This is valuable time which could be spent on development for other parts of the game.

Quote:
PATeam/MHTeam/Jolt-
The lack of basic marketing is poor. I don't expect the greatest effort from a bunch of volunteers, but it would be nice if some more effort was made. There are so many social and viral sites out there which could be used for a basic marketing campaign, no money is needed whatsoever.

There still isn't any real incentive for me to invite players. No rewards for me inviting other people! Instead we have the paranoia about how people would just "invite" their friends to take advantage of it. Has anyone actually tried the invite a friend by email feature in the past few years? This is part of the email you get:

Quote:
A new Round is starting now, the 13th so far, and we hope you will join us in the experience.
No surprise that Planetarion doesn't get enough new players when there isn't a decent website and people aren't encouraged to invite their friends.

As for the morality argument, I really don't see the need for half naked or something getting close to it for galaxy pictures. People should just use images which have little or no chance of offending people. This should be a quality game, trying to lower it with questionable pictures doesn't really help the game.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2008, 19:27   #8
Recluse

Recluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to all

Fiery: If you were to tell Jer that he could change the rules by being a multi-hunter, I'm sure you'd have his application in no time, but seeing as how that likely won't happen, he's bitching about the rules you guys enforce, rather than you guys in general, is perfectly valid.

I myself have always wondered why PA tried to take some moral high ground, i can understand legalities, like no pron, because of under 18's possibly seeing it, but beyond that, wth?

Saver of Sad

Supreme Commander of The Spider Colony
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2008, 19:32   #9
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery
Jer,
Bitching about my team? Put up or shut up. I expect your application for MH Team in my message box within the hour.
The real world doesn't work like that.
Unread 3 Jan 2008, 19:50   #10
Fiery
PA Team

Fiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud of

Recluse,
As Head of MH Team, I can change the rules and I have done so. My team helps with the decisions to make the changes. Every member of my team can make suggestions. So, yes, Jer would have the opportunity to help change the rules.
Unread 3 Jan 2008, 19:52   #11
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper
Considering how complex the stats have now become is it a good idea to totally change them every round? We're dealing with more races and now even more targets than before. The rounds are so short that we hardly get much time to play with a set of stats! At least having minor tweaks allows us to use our knowledge of the last round to try and improve for the next round.
This would be fine if the stats were designed to promote good gameplay, unfortunately they are not, the stats and game mechanics were designed by round after round of changing things for the sake of novelty. Now without novelty the game has nothing really to fall back on. A redesign of the game with specific gameplay objectives would be great, but until that happens the novelty of new stats is a much appreciated distraction.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2008, 19:54   #12
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Recluse,
As Head of MH Team, I can change the rules and I have done so. My team helps with the decisions to make the changes. Every member of my team can make suggestions. So, yes, Jer would have the opportunity to help change the rules.
So you're not allowed to make suggestions unless you're an MH? Oh dear.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
Unread 3 Jan 2008, 20:19   #13
Recluse

Recluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to all

"the opportunity" I don't believe he wants the "opportunity" I believe he wants it done, and I don't believe he feels that he should have to become a part of the organization in order to try and convince it's members they could be wrong.

Common sense should dictate what the rules are, not some eilitism brought about by being 1 of a select few.

Saver of Sad

Unread 3 Jan 2008, 20:59   #14
shik
Sorry, Chicken...

Quote:
Recluse,
So you keep ignoring us until we stop active playing?
Unread 3 Jan 2008, 22:02   #15
Fiery
PA Team

Quote:
In an overall view of what the MH do or have done in the past few rounds there seems to be a total lack of focus and obvious nepotism in the mix and it's not helping anything. PA needs a lot more liberality to do with it.
That line was what prompted me to post.

Arfy, you know better.

Recluse, you probably shouldn't make assumptions for what jer wants. The last I checked, he's quite capable of standing up for himself and what he thinks.
Unread 3 Jan 2008, 22:32   #16
Recluse

As I said, I believe there were certain things he wants, and I believe there are certain things he does not, this being based off his post and nothing more. Now if he'd like to correct me, than by all means he can, he doesn't need you to advise me against making assumtions, as you put it, he is more than capable.

And you still haven't actually confronted the issue both I and Shik bring up, that being that basically, your post indicates the only way anyone would have "the opportunity" to change the rules is by being on MH. This is counter-productive at it's best, and ludicrous at it's worst. Thats like telling every citizen of any country that the only way they can ever maybe change something is to become the leader of said country.

Saver of Sad

Unread 4 Jan 2008, 00:51   #17
Fiery
PA Team

The only issue shik has brought up (twice) is being ignored by pa team/ mh team. I responded on this thread so I have dealt with his issue. I read all of the forums every day. I just don't post very often because I dislike it when people deliberately take my posts out of context.
In regards to your issue. If you say the support planet rule will be dropped, will it happen? No. If I say it will be dropped, will it happen? Yes.
I admit that I am not up on European governments so I am sure there will be several people able to correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the leaders of a country do the actual rule changing.
In regards to rules for Planetarion and community involvement, anyone is more than welcome to come speak with me about their views on the rules. Will it result in a rule getting changed? Highly unlikely.
Unread 4 Jan 2008, 01:26   #18
Recluse

i.e. You ignore your paying customers, regardless of how many of them desire a change in the product, and take a dictotorship viewpoint. Bravo for proving exactly why so many are not satisfied with PA Team/MH and why yet more leave. You have done your job well.

P.S. Leaders may change rules, but the popular opinion dictates how the rules change. Unless you are in a dictatorship, if you don't do what the popular opinion is, you risk being voted out or exiled. Guess that makes us a dictatorship

In addition, as a company that is selling a product, it is financially advisable to not ignore your clients desires, or they will take their money elsewhere. Now, I don't believe you get paid, so you might not really care at all about that, but I believe Jolt and whoever else is in charge might. If not, well that simply proves what most of us already thought anyway, that those in charge of the game simply don't care about those playing it.

Saver of Sad

Last edited by Recluse; 4 Jan 2008 at 01:35.
Unread 4 Jan 2008, 14:06   #19
Fiery
PA Team

And if I were to let popular opinion make decisions for me then I'd have to close entire alliances due to complaints about them (Yes, Asc and eXi, props to you) and close people without proper evidence because several people see a brep and think it was farming when it really wasn't. Bowing down to public opinion would make me a very bad Head of Multihunting because my job isn't about pleasing the public. It's about being fair and impartial.
Unread 4 Jan 2008, 15:25   #20
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

The players attitudes are the biggest reason these games has lost players.
People receive no credit from their work. People without a noticeable rank wont be noticed or are kept as a lower rank citizens. Why many hardworking players in smaller alliances will eventually switch to the better ones to receive the credit they deserve.

People have learned easy ways to achieve victory and grow their e-penis and that is all that used to count, probably still do more or less.

These games are only fun if there is decent fights for all and preferably alliance/gal fights for the community/social reasons, seeing the text based game inself offers only little amusement.

People opinions about changes are valid, everything doesnt need to be double tested, u just edit the system as better for next round if something doesnt work. Thats how the game will develope eventually. The game is quite easy and fast to learn, so some new events to be considered adds some flavour for a new round, so something else than different teams and politics also.

I seriously cant blame anyone for not putting much time and effort and money on something which trend is long gone. But if someone is cabable for changes and willing to spend some free time on this, surely the admins should give some room for such persons and some freedom to do the switches.
Unread 4 Jan 2008, 17:53   #21
Recluse

Fiery: You've completely missed the point, and in fact you're diverting away entirely from my post.

I never spoke of "enforcement" of the rules, I spoke of changing them. If there is a rule against something (say multi-ing for example) Than it is your job to enforce that. However, if your PAYING CUSTOMERS desire that that rule be done away with, you have 2 choices. Either do it, and keep your customers, or do not, and lose them, their money, and in the process, likely the game. Now we haven't been asking for allowing multies back (tho I believe some people said they would like it, more joking than serious tho) We've been asking for someone to look at the rules, look at the customers desires, and get some friggin common sense, and than make changes where needed. Every other company in the world who sells a product does this, why do you believe you are above that simplistic rule of supply and demand?

In closing:

Quote:
It's about being fair and impartial.
Your fairness and impartiality are subjective in relation to the rules you enforce. We are not seeking to override your enforcement of a rule, we are seeking to change the rules you enforce. Unfortunatly, you, and every other person I have spoken with who has anything to do with running this game seem to be too distracted on their high horse to give honest consideration to the stupidity of some of the rules that are imposed on this game. You've been told by many more than myself for rounds unknown about several of these things, it's nothing new.

Saver of Sad

Unread 5 Jan 2008, 17:20   #22
shik
Sorry, Chicken...

what would pa team do if there would be 100000 players next round?
think pa would crash, the whole game wouldnt work anymore.

i guess they actually are happy that its only 1000 playing, and they would be even more happy when it was only 400 ppl playing.
Unread 5 Jan 2008, 21:32   #23
The Real Arfy

Why on earth would pa not work with 100000 players? If its a case of server load, then no it probably wouldn't, but with £350000 income I'm almost certain they could find a way to support that.

Unread 5 Jan 2008, 22:24   #24
shik
Sorry, Chicken...

no, its just not working, atm there are places for 1800 players in the alliances shown on overview, and the players mentioned are only 10% (top100) of the actual playerbase id say, if there would be 10000 players it would be 1%, 100000 players 0.1%, its not the ticker or the servers i think which would collapse, its the game which isnt build for so many ppl.
imagine multihunters hunting for 100000 players, the cant even handle the 500 they have to handle these days...
do you think netgamers can handle that many ppl? probably, okay.
but the whole stats pages would be completely useless, or not fitting anymore.
can you really think of a pa with many players?
Unread 5 Jan 2008, 22:33   #25
Recluse

well, for a lot of us, we were around in the days when PA had tons of planets like that. If PA for whatever reason suddenly had 10k people playing this round, I think we'd see changes, but as it is right now, I don't think anoyone cares.

Saver of Sad

Unread 5 Jan 2008, 23:00   #26
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Jer,
not specifically aimed at MH (been there, seen it, done it, got the t-shirt etc) or you but applications to PATeam / Jolt to help do things for PA tend to go un-noticed (or left with no answer) - see the new portal thread for one.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2008, 23:23   #27
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shik
no, its just not working, atm there are places for 1800 players in the alliances shown on overview, and the players mentioned are only 10% (top100) of the actual playerbase id say, if there would be 10000 players it would be 1%, 100000 players 0.1%, its not the ticker or the servers i think which would collapse, its the game which isnt build for so many ppl.
imagine multihunters hunting for 100000 players, the cant even handle the 500 they have to handle these days...
do you think netgamers can handle that many ppl? probably, okay.
but the whole stats pages would be completely useless, or not fitting anymore.
can you really think of a pa with many players?
Bullshit in its purest form. PA is built for so many players. In fact, the more the better.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2008, 00:37   #28
Recluse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Bullshit in its purest form. PA is built for so many players. In fact, the more the better.

Amen to that.

Saver of Sad

Unread 6 Jan 2008, 03:03   #29
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.nationstates.net/
http://www.londinivm.com/

Looks like Jolt CAN make browsergames free, they power those but strangly those are completly free and yet you unfortunate suckers have to pay 5£ / round or something?

I don't want to advertise for those games caus quite frankly i've never played them, but I do however find it very strange that those two browsergames are completly free but they make us pay for PA and claim that otherwise it doesn't generate profit...

The real reason according to me why pa keeps on losing players is P2P.
Why on earth anybody would pay to play planetarion is beyond me, it isn't very exciting, there aren't many people playing, the amount of control you have on your own planet is minimal (as soon as you try something else than the mainstream it's labelled cheating and you're closed or that tactic is taken out of the game the next round), the amount of support you get is minimal (atleast if you don't use irc), without external sites & calcs (like sandmans & bcalcs) the game is hardly unplayable (new people that start playing probably have no idea these sites excist or how to use them) and many many other problems with the game / structure like mentioned by jer and countless others before him.

If the game was free it's easier to see past these obvious shortcommings caus hey, IT'S FREE.
But paying for a game this crappy and with such a bad service to it's paying costumers is like WTF, I ain't paying for that piece of crap?

So basicly PA has 2 options:
- Make the game free
- Stay with P2P but completly change the game making it good and accessible to new players.

And don't go wrubbing free accounts in my face caus we all know they're hardly playable compared to a paid account.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2008, 03:31   #30
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

I think PA just got owned

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2008, 11:14   #31
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

jolt are raping us (actually not me, i've still not paid a single penny for PA) pretty badly man.
Unread 6 Jan 2008, 14:00   #32
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
jolt are raping us (actually not me, i've still not paid a single penny for PA) pretty badly man.
Who pays for your credit is fairly irrelevant though, Jolt doesn't care if you pay or if I pay for you (no, I'm not going to pay for you).
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 6 Jan 2008, 15:01   #33
jerome

yeah but free credits from pa team is nice.
Unread 6 Jan 2008, 19:48   #34
Kenny

Quote:
Jer,
Lolz. Somebody's taking things a little personal.

Multihunters in general are too anal. They like rubber-stamping their decisions and to think people would have any issues with them - the nerve! Fiery, the bit where you said "anyone is welcome to suggest something to me, but it's unlikely I'll listen" (cba looking for post again to quote verbatum) is the exact 'elitism' attitude that makes multihunters such a disliked entity. Again, it's nothing personal, it's just that you obviously have nothing better to do than get positively horny when people log on from more than 1 ip address.

And lol @ Jolt. I guess the reason that those other webgames are free is because they are relatively new and Jolt realise that in this day and age people aren't going to start paying for a web-based browser game. But hey, we've been doing it for a while now - so as long as the money's still coming in they have no reason to change their system. Even if only 100 folk sign up per round... at £5 a pop it's still £500 more than those other games you mentioned.

PA = Source of Money.

It used to be a source of enjoyment....
Unread 6 Jan 2008, 20:18   #35
Coltaine
7th Malazan Army

Coltaine has a spectacular aura aboutColtaine has a spectacular aura aboutColtaine has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
In regards to rules for Planetarion and community involvement, anyone is more than welcome to come speak with me about their views on the rules. Will it result in a rule getting changed? Highly unlikely.
And you complain about "people deliberately taking your posts out of context"?
This was rather one of the worst attitudes to state by a game official or a formal invitation of "taking it out of context". So stop complaining either way.

Edit:
Quote:
And if I were to let popular opinion make decisions for me then I'd have to close entire alliances due to complaints about them (Yes, Asc and eXi, props to you) and close people without proper evidence because several people see ...
And this must be taken from the book "Preschool debates"...
Coltaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 21:52   #36
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Planetarion currently makes a profit for Jolt, as all it requires is some server space, lots of work from volunteers (who, by the way, don't get paid - so the abuse they receive is really quite undeserved), and one paid representative. Why would they stop charging for it if they are making a profit? Just to cheer everyone up?

You seem to think that Jolt want 10,000 players raping their bandwidth, and not paying a penny to do so. What would Jolt get out of this?

It's very easy to talk and to criticise (you mentioned myspace and facebook) but what practical and realistic suggestions have people got, besides "change these stats" or "remove alliances"?
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 10:04   #37
Mzyxptlk
mz.

The question asked is not "why would Jolt want a million players, none of which who pay", it's "why can't the game be free if they have other (similar) free games as well?"

By the way, I don't see what's so unrealistic about allowing people to have a private galaxy instead of an alliance. As long as people can choose everyone gets what they want.
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 11:23   #38
biffy
Jolt PA Liaison

biffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the rough

We are intending to invest in the development of Planetarion this year, certainly more than has been the case in the last couple of years. There should be some news soon.
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 11:47   #39
jerome

"-HCs cannot demote or kick more than 5 members in 5 ticks "

lol
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 11:54   #40
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

By the way, I don't see what's so unrealistic about allowing people to have a private galaxy instead of an alliance. As long as people can choose everyone gets what they want.
Why it cannot have both?
The group prize for creating a private galaxy should be cheaper, so people can create gals and recruit friends without having the need to be a "millionare."
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 12:17   #41
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Read this topic
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 12:49   #42
Phil M

Phil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffy
We are intending to invest in the development of Planetarion this year, certainly more than has been the case in the last couple of years. There should be some news soon.
What sort of investment?

The last time the idea of investing in development came along there was a forum thread asking for developers to submit bids to work on a new website and portal. However nobody was picked and the job was attempted internally.

We all know what happened next! Or should I say what didn't happen next...
Phil M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 22:16   #43
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The question asked is not "why would Jolt want a million players, none of which who pay", it's "why can't the game be free if they have other (similar) free games as well?"
Because they make money from it. If I was making money from something that didn't require much input on my part, why would I suddenly offer the same service for free?
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 23:18   #44
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil M
What sort of investment?

The last time the idea of investing in development came along there was a forum thread asking for developers to submit bids to work on a new website and portal. However nobody was picked and the job was attempted internally.

We all know what happened next! Or should I say what didn't happen next...
lots of silence then a mess

I'd be interseted to know what investment is going on too.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2008, 00:09   #45
zebra
h3ll's angels

zebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Bowing down to public opinion would make me a very bad Head of Multihunting because my job isn't about pleasing the public. It's about being fair and impartial.
Lol. You forgot balanced.
[18:04] * h3ll has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote