User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 8 Jul 2003, 20:43   #1
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Aww Yeh. You da MAN. You da MAIN MAN. You got it all brudda

The topic is completely irrelevant to what im about to say, but if it made just one person feel like their life was worthwhile, even for just a short moment , it achieved its aim.

Which was to delude stupid people.

Anyway , ive got a small windfall now thanks to my employers and their wonderful staff loan rates. Hence , i intend to buy a new computer system.

The following is required

a 2.8ghz processor
120 gig HD (super fast, none of your western digital crap)
ATI Radeon 9600 or better
512 meg DDR

Who reckons they can find a system like that for less than £1000?

Or find somewhere that will build and deliver and guarantee a system like that for less than £1000?
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 20:49   #2
Freakozoid
Anon.

Freakozoid is an unknown quantity at this point
Why did I picture the topic being said in a Chinese accent?
Freakozoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 20:50   #3
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
I expect so

for £999 i got:

2.2Ghz
80GB hard drive
128mb GeForce 4
dvd/cdrw drives
ONBOARD SOUND (eww crappy)

and that was just less than a year ago so by now things are like £20330330330300303030 cheaper
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 20:51   #4
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
why do you people always spend you're money on computers??? All my money seems to go towards

a) keeping alive (food etc)
b) women
c) keeping my car >< this close to being roadworthy.
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 20:58   #5
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
At the moment , im looking at the following

Pentium 4 3.06GHz Processor
120 Western Digital HD (7200 RPM) w/8MB Cache
ATI® Radeon™ 9600 128MB 8X AGP w/DVI & S-video
1GB DDR SDRAM PC-2700
Sound Blaster® Audigy 5.1 w/1394
Samsung 52x24x52x16 CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive - IDE - Black
Integrated 100Mb Ethernet
Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 17" 750SB BK - Space Black
No Speakers
No Keyboard
No Mouse (already got all three)

Total excluding VAT: £1,181.00
VAT Charge: £218.31
Estimated Delivery: £66.48
Total: £1,465.79

Oh , and thats an Alienware machine. Dragon Case though.
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 21:03   #6
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Alienware is brilliant. It comes with a special hyperthreading supporting version of Windows XP.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 21:03   #7
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of
Question

yeah but what colour is it?
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 21:06   #8
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Originally posted by the_dastardley_chihuahua
yeah but what colour is it?

Space Black

I considered having it in Green , but decided against it.

Im going for the Dragon Case on the basis that its £70 cheaper, and i dont have to have case specific wiring, hence saving me a few extra quid for the Graphics Card.
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 21:12   #9
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of
you flash git, my computer is that off white colour, very bland.

i wish mine was black :/
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 21:40   #10
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Nusselt
why do you people always spend you're money on computers??? All my money seems to go towards

b) women
Because two thirds of our money is available for computers etc?
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 21:50   #11
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
i have two on nusselts list
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 21:51   #12
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Originally posted by Nusselt

b) women

a: HOW MUCH DO YOU SPEND ON FOOD? ... christ , thats excessive.

b : If she loves you, she loves you for more than just your wallet. If not, dump the sponging cow.

c: Buy a bus pass.
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 22:03   #13
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurashima
a: HOW MUCH DO YOU SPEND ON FOOD? ... christ , thats excessive.
Roughly a third of my money goes to rent, food, electricity, clothes, etc. I assumed that's what "food etc" meant...
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 22:56   #14
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Aldi were doing a machine to that spec a while back, I don't know if they still do it, but they were going for £800 or something, I got one, good stuff!

It has flash card, and mmc and stuff readers and radio and tv remote and dvd/rw and stuff. pretty good, dunno if they still do it though
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 00:33   #15
MrBrick
Gone

MrBrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by KaneED
Aldi were doing a machine to that spec a while back, I don't know if they still do it, but they were going for £800 or something, I got one, good stuff!

It has flash card, and mmc and stuff readers and radio and tv remote and dvd/rw and stuff. pretty good, dunno if they still do it though
After reading this several times, I am almost sure that K has bought a PC from a shop that is designed to sell cheap noodles to students.
MrBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 00:40   #16
Helveticus
finnish pokèmon

Helveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrick
After reading this several times, I am almost sure that K has bought a PC from a shop that is designed to sell cheap noodles to students.
Correct. I remember seeing the leaflets advertising it, in the local papers a few months back.

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
We enjoy sucking the fun out of the boards. It's a competition.
Helveticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 01:13   #17
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
hmm

for £880 i got:

p4 2.6ghz
80gb sata hdd
512mb ddr
radeon 9600
nice motherboard with lots of stuff integrated which was expensive but worth it.

so if you upgraded the processor and the hdd, you'd _probably_ be able to keep it under £1000.
just...

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 01:17   #18
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrick
i hope your not dissing on cheap noodles

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 02:02   #19
MeakerSE
The one that never sleeps

MeakerSE has a spectacular aura aboutMeakerSE has a spectacular aura about
Motherboard Abit Nforce 2 £75
Ram 512 megs 400mhz £82
CPU xp2500 £63 + cooler @ £30
Case Any generic 350W £60
HDD 80 GB Seagate £60
Monitor 19" £171
Speakers Logitech 5.1 z-640 £60
DVD rom pioneer 16x £35
CD-re writer with buffer under run £40
Graphics £120 9600 PRO
Keyboard + mouse £50 wireless + optical

Oh and the 2500 WILL clock to AT LEAST 2.075.

EDIT: the motherboard (NF7-S) and ram WILL run at 200mhz and it has onboard sound with the same quality of the audigy 2 and is 5.1, it has firewire and SATA onboard and 100mb lan.

That cooler is the Thermalright SK-7 with any 80mm fan, its the little brother of the SLK-800 (which I have) and is only £23

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

T.S. Eliot
'The waste Land', IV

Last edited by MeakerSE; 9 Jul 2003 at 02:08.
MeakerSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 07:19   #20
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
if you find a wholesaler or woteva you can buy things at up to 40% off net prices - I know when I travelled up to Manchester once (nice, friendly ppl.............)

anway, find out if you have one near-by Kura - all you then need to do is to trick them into thinking you're a business that will re-sell the goods

i'll look-up some sites tonight
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 08:27   #21
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurashima

Oh , and thats an Alienware machine. Dragon Case though.
linkage?

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 10:18   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
www.alienware.co.uk

Right

AMD XP3000+
512MB DDR2700
19" CRT
120GB WD SE HDD
48x48x24x16x CDRW/DVD
Radeon 9700 Pro
NForce2 Mobo with soundcard

And all in the same Black Dragon as Alienware, for £1020 + delivery if you make it yourself.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 13:02   #23
treelo
Kyuss/qotsa > Deffeh ffs

treelo is an unknown quantity at this point
You're right. The topic is completely irrelevant to what you just said.

Waiting for the Sun.
treelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 13:11   #24
HAL-9000
I'm great!

HAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud of
Well I have found a place that will build the computer that will meet that specification for only £667.40 (that's including VAT). Obviously this leaves you with plenty of room for extras. For £1005.80 I have found the following:

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 3000
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA7VAXP Ultra RAID
Memory: 512MB PC2700 DDR DIMMS
Hard Drive: 120GB UDMA 100 7200RPM
DVD Drive: 16x with software decoder
CD-RW Drive: 52x24x52 CD-ReWriter Buffer Under-run Proof
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 8x, 128MB DDR, TV Out, DVI
Monitor: Standard 17"
Sound Card: Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy
Modem: 56k V.92 PCI Modem
Keyboard/Mouse: Microsoft Wireless Keyboard and Optical Mouse
Speakers: Creative Inspire 5100 5.1 Surround Speakers
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Excluding Tax : £856
Including Tax: £1005.80

I bought my PC from this place. It is an internet company based in the UK, and they will deliver to your door for an extra £30, otherwise I believe you may pick it up yourself. I can assure you that this company is very good. They will bundle a fair amount of software with your PC for free. You can obviously pick and choose the different attributes for your PC, for instance I didn't bother including a monitor in mine, so I got it at a significantly reduced price, allowing me to spend more on the Graphics Card. Everything is put together by them so there is no need to worry about putting all of the components together yourself.

If you are interested let me know and I will give you the Companies name.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 13:43   #25
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by HAL-9000
If you are interested let me know and I will give you the Companies name.
and im wondering why you didnt put the companies name and details in your post
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 13:44   #26
HAL-9000
I'm great!

HAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyr0 MK III
and im wondering why you didnt put the companies name and details in your post
I don't believe in free advertisement - businesses rip us off enough without us advertising them on a public forum for free.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 13:51   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
So instead you're going to let a company you use and respect lose business? Sounds a pretty odd belief.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 13:52   #28
HAL-9000
I'm great!

If he wants it i will PM him. Hence why I told him to let me know if he was interested.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 13:55   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

That's one user, but what about the rest of us, and people we know; you're denying the company the main reason for it to offer good service, the possibility of more and greater use.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 13:56   #30
HAL-9000
I'm great!

You are correct.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 13:58   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

You're also rewarding the companies that don't give good service, and probably spend more on marketing.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 13:59   #32
HAL-9000
I'm great!

So in other words you wish for me to tell the entire world the website for this company?
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 14:02   #33
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
So in other words you wish for me to tell the entire world the website for this company?
omg YES!
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 14:04   #34
HAL-9000
I'm great!

Oh okay
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 14:04   #35
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
It's good for the company.

Personally, I don't mind, I just don't think I 'get' your position.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 14:10   #36
HAL-9000
I'm great!

Yah i think i'm just tarring all companies with the same brush. I don't like big business. They caused the Great Depression. Bloody Henry Ford should have been shot. Whatever the price, they are still ripping us off. Look at PC World. Claims that they stamp down on prices. I mean come on! So they go from charging us 4x the recommended price to charging us 3.98x the recommended price. Great deal!

www.nethighstreet.com is where I got my computer system from, and where I found that computer for said price. They are a good company and to be honest I am not sure myself why I didn't say it in the first place, though ofc I continued with a poor argument because I don't like backing down :-/ Anyway there u go. The actual system I made up was done on this page: http://www.nethighstreet.com/COMPUTERS/propcframe.html

Enjoy
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 14:14   #37
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

The page is dynamically generated.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 14:16   #38
HAL-9000
I'm great!

Yes. Like I said that is the page where I created the system. Just play about with it and find the best system for the best possible price.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 14:20   #39
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Hmm, didn't work when I clicked on it before.

ps.

I wonder why XP Home costs LESS than Windows ME
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 15:04   #40
MeakerSE
The one that never sleeps

MeakerSE has a spectacular aura aboutMeakerSE has a spectacular aura about
well the companies mine came from:

www.komplett.co.uk (good, cheap and well respected company)
www.theoverclockingstore.com (free delivery)
www.overclockers.co.uk (bad stories of support but this was just for the heat sink and fan so not much can go wrong there, they get the stuff to you quickly at least)

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

T.S. Eliot
'The waste Land', IV
MeakerSE is offline   Reply With Quote