User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 23 Nov 2003, 18:54   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Unhappy help !! my computer is broken :(

the fan of my graphic crad doesnt work anymore.
i also tryed a a few older cards with the same result. none of the fans worked
the cards themself seem to work (im using this computer right now).
what can cause such a problem and what can i do about it?
i dont want to replace the mainboard
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 18:58   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: help !! my computer is broken :(

What's the board and what's the card?

Some older boards didn't supply sufficient power to the AGP slot to allow gfx cards to work properly. Or your PSU could be 'not up to the job'.
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 19:10   #3
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

everything worked fine until today, i didnt change anything, i didnt even turn the computer off. the board is a MSI K7T266 Pro2.
i tryed 3 different cards.
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 23:18   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

what graphics cards have you tried so far?

btw I have no idea why the GFX card would work but not the fan, could be the fan has failed, even on your other gfx cards. You could test them in a m8s comp to see if the fans work.

Other than that.... you are putting yout GFX card in danger of overheating and causing machine lock-ups. (unless it is able to run passively)

I'd stick a fan on your heatsink temporarily (one that plugs into your mobo)
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 23:26   #5
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

Does the fan have it's own molex connector? If so, have you tried it in a couple of sockets? Maybe you have a duff socket.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 10:59   #6
wu_trax

usualy i use a no name card with a geforce 4 chip. nw im using one with a tnt2-chip. that one doesnt seem to become very hot so that i can use it without a fan for a few hours. (and i dont really mind if it burns through, i doubt i can still sell it)
the 3rd one is even older.

some people in another forum suggested i try passive cooling so that it doesnt matter if i dont have power supply. is that enough?

gayle, i have no idea what you are talking about. i dont know much about hardware :/. the fan's powersupply is connected on the card.
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 12:21   #7
MeakerSE
The one that never sleeps

MeakerSE has a spectacular aura aboutMeakerSE has a spectacular aura about

The power supply is that big box at the top of the case which the mains power plugs into. If this is not powerful enough then it can lead to componants getting insufficient power. To try and get more help visit http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/wwwthreads.pl , or read the thread about power supplys (PSUs) at the top of this board.

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

T.S. Eliot
'The waste Land', IV
MeakerSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 12:26   #8
wu_trax

my psu has 400W, that should be more than enough for those few things i have put into that computer.
anyway, it turned out that ALL of my graphiccards were broken, i mean wtf? how likely is that to happen? i tried threee crads!
i send it in more than a week ago, but its not back yet
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 12:31   #9
MeakerSE
The one that never sleeps

MeakerSE has a spectacular aura aboutMeakerSE has a spectacular aura about

Perhaps the motherboard is broken? It might keep blowing the fan everytime you put a card in Try it in a mates PC before putting it in yours.

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

T.S. Eliot
'The waste Land', IV
MeakerSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 12:42   #10
wu_trax

i have some old 64MB card a friend gave me in now and the fan works.
i guess all the nicotine in the air broke the fans, i should quit smoking.
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 05:27   #11
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

After some research, apprently smokeing around electronics ruins the conticivity and coats intakes and fans lowering their ability to cool your equipment.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 10:23   #12
wu_trax

i know cant stop it though. (not because i can't quit, but because i can't want to quit)
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 11:03   #13
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
After some research, apprently smokeing around electronics ruins the conticivity and coats intakes and fans lowering their ability to cool your equipment.
yep, the same particles that clings to your clothes actually clings to everything else aswell
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote