User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 8 Jul 2003, 16:03   #51
Lerxst
baka.

Lerxst is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by sigrid
the round 9.5 excuse is not due to the round being random, but due to the fact its a free round so the (fill in a certain nationality) dont need CC to sign up a ****load:P
Once again - it's not my words, it's what I often heard from ppl. Ofc the amount of multis comes from r9.5 being free and not from being random. But still I heard this as an argument against random.

Quote:
I so agree with scouse...random all the way and NO i have not been lucky either with gal activity so far but it sure as hell beats fighting private gals with twats who run a complete farmgalaxy also.
I also agree. The random rounds were a great experience from me. It was really really enjoyable even when been bashed and not in any position to reach for the top. It was pure gaming fun
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 16:03   #52
Carlow
p00ves

Carlow is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Fish
Point taken, but a lot of people do want a top planet, and random stops them doing that, semi priv doesnt stop them, and it also keeps the random people happy, like Evil said, it hasnt been given a chance, I wish it was, maybe we'd all be kept happy then.
Carlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 16:48   #53
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
What are the size of galaxies next round anyways? 10? 15? 25? Possible solution to the problem with decent players getting bashed could be to allow players who reach 30% above their galaxy's average score to exile into a gal with their average score. This could continue on up until you reach the top 30-50% of the galaxies.
The most ridiculous suggestion I have heard in a long while. But don't worry, I can counter that !!How about exiling all planets getting above 30% of average gal score to n00bville in the high C range and fill their gals up with new sign-ups or exiles.

Best cooperating gal that can keep all planets close to average wins !!

hAl
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 18:15   #54
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Al_zz
The most ridiculous suggestion I have heard in a long while. But don't worry, I can counter that !!How about exiling all planets getting above 30% of average gal score to n00bville in the high C range and fill their gals up with new sign-ups or exiles.

Best cooperating gal that can keep all planets close to average wins !!

hAl

I must admit I love the multitude of other good suggestions I've seen offered so far.... My idea was to help people who are good at the game not every single person who signs up an account. I couldn't care less if 200k players sign up if they all do nothing and contribute nothing to the community. However people who could and would but get pasted and can't do anything about it, they're the ones I feel sympathy for.
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 18:28   #55
DrBubba

DrBubba is an unknown quantity at this point
Great idea

Quote:
Its fair until they pay their gal mates to swap accounts. Making a virtually private gal in a random round.
Thats great idea prob solved, its just gonna cost me a little bit more to play.
DrBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 18:39   #56
DrBubba

DrBubba is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
in random rounds its much more fair as in private rounds.
WHy is it more fair because the people who only check their pa twice a day have a chance of being in a gal with 20 other people who are on 16 hours a day to cover them?

If you wanto put a lot of time into PA you shoudl have the right to be in a galaxy with like minded people.

My #1 worry is not being in a gal of noobs but a gal of people who never use IRC and just check pa twice a day.
DrBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 20:07   #57
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by PureviL
Legator, its not like r5 r7 or r9 now is it?

no, now it is like 8 and 3.

lots fun.
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*
Legator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 20:13   #58
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Point taken, but a lot of people do want a top planet, and random stops them doing that, semi priv doesnt stop them, and it also keeps the random people happy, like Evil said, it hasnt been given a chance, I wish it was, maybe we'd all be kept happy then.
i saw/see several planets which werent in "top" galaxies but were/are top 10 planets.

if you want a top planet (now dont argue what top is) it depends on the planet itself and on the alliance anyways.

if u want to be a topplanet find someone who scans you if you dont have enough active people in your galaxy.

if you dont have an alliance which will do that or friends who will take care of you, you wont be a topplanet anyways.

but also i see your point here, failure was down after r3, when private galaxies were implented. shouldnt ever happened.

well, in a round like a round 4 it didnt look like a big problem because of the trillions of planets.

well, we can argue years bout that, we wont ever find a solution

GO RANDOM GO

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 20:32   #59
sigrid
hated dead or alive

sigrid is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by DrBubba
WHy is it more fair because the people who only check their pa twice a day have a chance of being in a gal with 20 other people who are on 16 hours a day to cover them?

If you wanto put a lot of time into PA you shoudl have the right to be in a galaxy with like minded people.

My #1 worry is not being in a gal of noobs but a gal of people who never use IRC and just check pa twice a day.
But everybody will have that problem....not just you
sigrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 22:11   #60
MeakerSE
The one that never sleeps

MeakerSE has a spectacular aura aboutMeakerSE has a spectacular aura about
Round 10 will be random for 2 reasons:

1:to be fair.

2:to prevent stagnation.

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

T.S. Eliot
'The waste Land', IV
MeakerSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 22:37   #61
Kileman
Commander

Kileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to behold
Re: Re: Re: Re: Why will R10 not have private galaxies?

Quote:
i am sure you, honest player as you are, reported those guys didnot you?
I did actually, but Spinner did not have enough evidence due to an anonymous proxy being used to signup and run the accounts.
________
HEALTH STORE

Last edited by Kileman; 24 Feb 2011 at 21:59.
Kileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 23:48   #62
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by Legator
i saw/see several planets which werent in "top" galaxies but were/are top 10 planets.

if you want a top planet (now dont argue what top is) it depends on the planet itself and on the alliance anyways.

if u want to be a topplanet find someone who scans you if you dont have enough active people in your galaxy.

if you dont have an alliance which will do that or friends who will take care of you, you wont be a topplanet anyways.

but also i see your point here, failure was down after r3, when private galaxies were implented. shouldnt ever happened.

well, in a round like a round 4 it didnt look like a big problem because of the trillions of planets.

well, we can argue years bout that, we wont ever find a solution

GO RANDOM GO
taking my mate as an example, who was set for a top 100 planet quite comfortably, he ended in a gal that never had more than 2 people online, he exiled, costing him a few days, and even his new gal is barely top 300.

This is not fair, and whilst priv is completely the other end of the scale, semi priv would stop people being hammered daily by having a crap gal.

We have to agree to disagree, and the fact is, Spinner wont listen to this suggestion, so it will be random
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 23:55   #63
das_experiment

das_experiment is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
[B
We have to agree to disagree, and the fact is, Spinner wont listen to this suggestion, so it will be random [/b]
the harsh and evil truth
das_experiment is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 01:19   #64
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I can see the disadvantages and advantages of both random and private.

Random are politically very boring though compared to private ones.

I think a 15 person gal system would be best, with 5 private and 10 random.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 06:20   #65
Legator
Pr0nstar

Quote:
taking my mate as an example, who was set for a top 100 planet quite comfortably, he ended in a gal that never had more than 2 people online, he exiled, costing him a few days, and even his new gal is barely top 300.

This is not fair, and whilst priv is completely the other end of the scale, semi priv would stop people being hammered daily by having a crap gal.

We have to agree to disagree, and the fact is, Spinner wont listen to this suggestion, so it will be random

how can be someone set for top 100 when hes not able to do it ?

i think we had in vvomm last round planets which were for the top ten, they were in private galaxies.....they werent able to do it too........but i know some of them now in random galaxies and they are doing VERY well.

being a top 100 planet in a winning galaxy of a winning alliance/block isnt that hard.

this game isnt anyways about skill.

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 06:55   #66
PureviL
robdash!

PureviL is a splendid one to beholdPureviL is a splendid one to beholdPureviL is a splendid one to beholdPureviL is a splendid one to beholdPureviL is a splendid one to beholdPureviL is a splendid one to behold
Semi-random removes the luck factor a bit, so every good player has atleast 2 actives with him.. But still keeps all the advantages of full random

Best of two worlds!
It is ridiculous to claim that video games influence children. For instance, if PacMan affected kids born in the 80s, we should by now have a bunch of teenagers who run around in darkened rooms eating pills while listening to monotonous electronic music.
PureviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 07:06   #67
LordNieminen
Finn.. who's drunk.

LordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of light
random rounds suck atm, too small player base.. don't got enough of uber sucky newbs/scan planets to make every gal have sucky planets mainly.. or keeping enough wide target selection so u could avoid daily incoming.

Priv gals would be a blocking game ofc

Suggested 3x3p2p + randoms or something like that, might work.. don't know tbh that would require a bloody change atleast.. didn't play r8.. but p2p for full random.. even if u would get ppl to nscan for u etc, weak gal=easy to cover and kill u when all ships can be concentrated on one planet making it harder to get enough def.
r9.5: Top60(small playerbase=easy)
Few won R's in PIA, r26 top15 First/Last Pax round.
[OLMIT] / [TreKronor]
10 lines max for signature I heard.. so
LordNieminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 07:35   #68
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
They should have tried the mix earlier. It's too late now imo. It won't fit well in PA X.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 10:01   #69
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by Legator
how can be someone set for top 100 when hes not able to do it ?

i think we had in vvomm last round planets which were for the top ten, they were in private galaxies.....they werent able to do it too........but i know some of them now in random galaxies and they are doing VERY well.

being a top 100 planet in a winning galaxy of a winning alliance/block isnt that hard.

this game isnt anyways about skill.
when you get incs most days its a struggle to attack, and when you're 3 days behind and in a crap gal its a struggle even further.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 10:02   #70
The_Fish
ND

Quote:
Semi-random removes the luck factor a bit, so every good player has atleast 2 actives with him.. But still keeps all the advantages of full random

Best of two worlds!
exactly what I wanted to say
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 13:18   #71
Silva baby
sexy honky chic

Silva baby is an unknown quantity at this point
you ppl keep forgetting rd 3

rd 3 i rekon was what defined PA, brillant with random gals. Noone complaineed back then, random gals made the game fun, new ppl met each other, new alliances formed, new cluster alliances, devlopment of the super alliances Fury and Legion stemmed from the rounds being random. Not only that it let new players in random galaxies grow in the game. And yes one person being active can lead to your gal being top 100, don't lie to me about it because in rd 8 my GC Baco carried my entire galaxy to the top 100, with minimal irc activity from the rest of us.

Ex-Silver BC
Forever in Elysium

i have [FAITH] in myself, [FAITH] in my galaxy, and [FAITH] in my alliance
do you?

[FAITH][SILVER]
Silva baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 13:24   #72
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Silva baby
You can't compare X to round 3, for several reasons.

The most obvious is that X won't have a few hundred thousand planets.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 13:27   #73
das_experiment

das_experiment is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
And yes one person being active can lead to your gal being top 100, don't lie to me about it because in rd 8 my GC Baco carried my entire galaxy to the top 100, with minimal irc activity from the rest of us.

ERM

What MrL said is true and.

Baco was titans, i.e on the winning side so ur gal got protection from virus\tits\ldk, and besides that u really didnt have much toworry about in r8.

Try it if u had say some active fury\wp\ely guy in ur instead, ud have gotten OWNED.
das_experiment is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 13:49   #74
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
I'd say the opposite.

You'd want to have groups of 3 from different alliances, so they get the most benefit from the alliance travel time rather than it being wasted on people in the same galaxy.
I understand completely why you say this, it would also be a compramise. However, it does open the doors to boring "blocking" senerio. Or the boring "We want to attack them, but cant, because cant attack them because to many of our memebers are in the same galaxies" which the above senerio would inevidibly lead too.

In my humble opinion, its got to be either completely random OR completly private.

Random we know works ok, as everyone on even footing. i.e the chance to land in an active/inactive galaxy. Yes it does mean luck, doesn mean you have to meet new people, but hey if life so pridictable?

In an ideal world, you would have private galaxies. But no napping, alliances or working togeaher to take down the one. "Manoamano" (Sp) Must the same concept as other online games, such as Clans in Counterstrike or Medal of Honour. You play for your clan(galaxy) and your clan(galaxy) only. Every clan having the same number of people in it, so that activity and skill if the foundation of the clan instead of just the number of people you have in it, as it is now.

Combat would have to be completely rewitten of course, so that you have a declaration of war, leading to headon battle between the two clans(galaxies) or if one side paid tribute, there would be peace (until another time)

THe universe page would become the playing ladder, and you would be rewarded more for challenging galaxies ranked above you, ranther than below you. In essence, mini games lasting a few days. Each player having their conquest, defeats, tributes, recorded and viewible to anyone who cares to see them. People, being proud to use there real nicks, (instead of hiding behind fakes ones and ashamed alliance names) because they are proud of the battles they have fought and the galaxies they where memebrs off. Would of course help in the recruitment process of people orgnasing their galaxies. When you view someones record and see the victory medals they have earned, with scores & ranks.

Oh, I'll stop here with my opinions before I make this just too loooong Would be here all day if I explained it all
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 14:09   #75
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus
I understand completely why you say this, it would also be a compramise. However, it does open the doors to boring "blocking" senerio. Or the boring "We want to attack them, but cant, because cant attack them because to many of our memebers are in the same galaxies" which the above senerio would inevidibly lead too.
You'd probably end up blocking anyway, if quite a few galaxies were shared between, say, Vision and Elysium they might at least get a NAP.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 14:13   #76
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Private galaxies were a must for Round 4 everyone and their mother would have simply built their own private galaxies. Give people one or two rounds to get used to random and they'll do it again.

Random will be good for Round 10 but not nessescerily after that.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 14:13   #77
CrazyConrad
DarnocYzarc

CrazyConrad is on a distinguished road
Many ppl do very well in inactives gals. The only thing you need is ppl from your alliance or friends etc to news scan you the time you aint online...
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 14:14   #78
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:

rd 3 i rekon was what defined PA, brillant with random gals. Noone complaineed back then

1) The gals were not random in r3, all previous players had the option of remaining in the same gal. So basically only the newbies went random, and random helps the newbies as we all know so they're hardly going to complain are they?

2) Everyone complained in r3. We complained that the round was too long, the triad stagnated the game, fury and legion were a bunch of backstabbers, ReBorn were botters and deserved to be killed, and innumerable people at both the lower and top levels quit. We just didn't notice it because there was 170k planets with new sign-ups every hour.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 14:46   #79
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyConrad
Many ppl do very well in inactives gals. The only thing you need is ppl from your alliance or friends etc to news scan you the time you aint online...
Well this might not be possible in PA X. Or perhaps it will require some res/con, making you vulnerable at the start.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 15:54   #80
SpazMonster
No, really...

SpazMonster is an unknown quantity at this point
In this day and age of Planetarion I do not think either all-private or all-random is the 'right' answer. The last few rounds have shown that pretty clearly. In all-private, small groups of alliances who play together can be easily taken down because covering their alliances with incoming will be easy due to not being spread out very well. In an all random round, alliances are difficult to take down because they are spread out across the whole universe with maybe 1 member per 5 galaxies. I think some sort of hybrid/middle ground should be reached (as has been often suggested). Get alliances to register pre-round. When signing up players should enter what alliance they are a part of, and have the 'random' placement into galaxies be not-so-random. Put around 3 players of a particular alliance in a galaxy. This way hitting an entire galaxy might actually gain you something.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 16:40   #81
The_Fish
ND

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus
In my humble opinion, its got to be either completely random OR completly private.
Is there any particular reason for this? whats wrong witb a mixture?
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 16:45   #82
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point
Semi-private gals are te worst.
We have seem semi-private gals in round 7.
Off course they were hugely different then the current suggestions but some fundemetal things stay the same.
Virtually all alliance players would go semi-private with a few m8s. That means all n00bs will enter gals with a set group of players that have much more knowledge and who can completly influence them towards their goals. Off course in a full random gal n00bs will also be influenced but they will find people from different alliances together with them and get more ballanced information.

In semi private gals the private players will get the ministers bonusses because they will dominate the gal politics.

The new/n00bish players will be used to assist the private players and their alliance in stead of playing their own game in which they would generally play only for their galaxy.

The new players would be influenced to enter all kinds of smaller alliances to spy on them or at least draw defence from them to assist gal needs which generally is only ment to hel out that little bunch of privae players.

In all I think semi-private gals will mean random newbies will get completly leeched and not have as much gameplay as they could havein a fully random gal.

hAl
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 17:04   #83
The_Fish
ND

Quote:
Originally posted by Al_zz
stuff
I have to disagree on most points, yes, the active and '1337' players will be ministers and dominate gal politics, but isnt this what happens in random gals?

I think in fact it would be more beneficial to the gal to have more priv and a few random, as gal rank would mean much more this way, so they want the randoms to do well. Of course there would be gals with twats in who are not willing to help, but I think most galaxies would want their randoms to do well. The new players will get a feel of the game and then, just like us all, will become better players and eventually become ministers and high ranked players in future rounds.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 21:29   #84
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
... a lot of people do want a top planet, and random stops them doing that
Eh, how? There are still the same number of top planets in an all random round, so the same number of people must be running a top planet.
Quote:
semi priv ... also keeps the random people happy
Eh, how? From a fairness point of view semi priv is no better than priv. It has to be all random. You might suggest all priv as an alternative - but then, where does the new blood come from?
Quote:
Originally posted by DrBubba
Why is it more fair ... people who only check their pa twice a day have a chance of being in a gal with 20 other people who are on 16 hours a day to cover them?
Not sure I understand, is this intended to be an argument against semi priv?
Quote:
If you want to put a lot of time into PA you should have the right to be in a galaxy with like minded people.
In a fully random universe you have the same chance of that as any other player.
Quote:
Semi-random removes the luck factor a bit, so every good player has atleast 2 actives with him..
The occational very active and fast learning noob will not necessarily have 2 other actives with him...
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2003, 00:07   #85
The_Fish
ND

Quote:
Originally posted by zenopus
The occational very active and fast learning noob will not necessarily have 2 other actives with him...
I cant be arsed replying to the other points now, sorry but on this one, he'll go random and be helped by the groups of 3.
Unread 10 Jul 2003, 19:54   #86
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:

rd 3 i rekon was what defined PA, brillant with random gals. Noone complaineed back then, random gals made the game fun, new ppl met each other, new alliances formed, new cluster alliances, devlopment of the super alliances Fury and Legion stemmed from the rounds being random. Not only that it let new players in random galaxies grow in the game. And yes one person being active can lead to your gal being top 100, don't lie to me about it because in rd 8 my GC Baco carried my entire galaxy to the top 100, with minimal irc activity from the rest of us.
HELLO, you sure you actually played r3 or did you just have your head buried in the sand. R3 may have very well been officially random BUT the super alliances werent a result of this. They were the result of these alliances deciding "we arent playing random anymore, we dont want to be with n00bs who dont login and wont be a sheep and follow everything we say so lets create our own custom galaxies."

Well before the start of r3 we were all told we would have the option to either a) leave our galaxy and be randomly assigned or b) stay with the current galaxy and the first block as we know it of Fury/Legion/RB exploited this and arranged for members of their galaxies to swap accounts with members of these alliances resulting in private galaxies for them. These galaxies become fortress which couldnt be touched.

As for saying the new players had a chance to grow, not really. The new players didnt get put in with established players they got stuck with other new players who were easy tragets for everyone else. They had no chance to grow, the only good point for these new galaxies was the sign ups so so high there were always someone worse off than themselves.

Quote:
This is the problem though and spinners the same. You need to look outside the box a bit. As you know i'm a big fan of random galaxies but its always been obvious that randoms in a p2p enviorment isnt the best route. People dont want to waste £10 and end up with a bunch of inactives. You need the friendship and gaurentee of being activness without the problems of blocking coming up. By allowing people to choose a coupel of friends to eb with you make this possible, you dont end up with enough people in the friends group to make blocking an issue but you know no matter who you are be you a none alliance player or a member of a top alliance that you have some people to back you up ect in the galaxy
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2003, 23:10   #87
Amoruso
God made me cool

Amoruso is an unknown quantity at this point
IMO Private galaxys only benifit the top players, as most top players are in gals filled by other top players, who all have allainces, its by no coincidence that during the private rounds the same players in the same gals made it too the top, to some degree allainces made a difference.

I think random makes it better for the average to poor players, because the top players stick out more oftent hat not and need to be Uber active in order to keep thier roids, and steal them ofc.

theres also the powerblocking aspect with private galaxys , yes it could be done with random but its not (to and extent)
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 12:38   #88
Senater
Never say DIE!

Senater is an unknown quantity at this point
Personally i hate random and would be more likely to give pa up all together if rd10 is fully random.

A mix of private groups and random planets would be best choice imho. Maybe select 3 guys (so 4 in total) whom you wish to play with, they shuffled with 2 other "groups", add 3 randoms and could make for an interesting round.

Though i wont complain if it's total private either, anything other then random ffs.

And for those who say Private means blocking that's a load of crap. If people wanna block they will do it no matter if it's private or random. Blocking is just part of the game, if an alliance wants to team up, they will team up no matter what measures are put in place to try and stop it.

Semi-Private or Full Private the only way to go!

Elysium HC

Ex-Cell HC
[Loyalty - Pride - Power]
Senater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 14:09   #89
Greatone

Greatone is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry well

Pa will most likely die now if allys only can def not attack. i will play with my m8ts if i cant do that i wont play. im sure many with me agree.what they do now is killing every existing ally and new will form instead i can bet on this if you want

you all saw what happend round 9 so we alredy got the fact 4.8k planets over 1k of them was farms or def planets it will be same next round so game will die now if they also screw the ally part i have an alliance if pa force me to switch NO GAME

thx GR1
Greatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 14:47   #90
Atul
Xanadu

Atul is an unknown quantity at this point
is it just me or is it coincidence that the round with most ppl playin it was private?
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 18:53   #91
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Atul
is it just me or is it coincidence that the round with most ppl playin it was private?
You win the award for most narrow minded post today.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote