User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Oct 2005, 14:14   #1
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Terran Race Guide (R15)

Ok, this is the first of 4 threads [obviously] that I'm going to make. I'm sure others will have comments to make about their views and own takes on the stats (while pointing out how long since I last played seriously ).

Terran are by any extent not the most defensive of races. They're a fairly strong race offensively. Because of their high armour and low damage, they're meant to take losses and capture asteroids.

Destroyer Fleet.

Drake (De -> Cr)
Pegasus (De -> Fi)
Chimera (De -> Bs)
Lynx (De -> Roids)

Anti De:
Phoenix (Co -> De)
Syren (Cr -> De)
Roach (Cr -> De)
Pulsar (Fi -> De)
Bomber (Fr -> De)
Pirate (Bs -> De)

Looking at the universe, there's a lot of Anti De around.

You can mass Drakes and spend all round hitting Cathaar, if you want, or mass Chimera and hit Ziks untill they steal better ships. They're fairly simple.
You could also use Gryphons and retal Terrans with their Cr/Bs out.

Xan depend on whether they invest resources more in Pulsars or Bombers.
Bombers aren't going to be pleasant - unless you send along Wyverns like some sort of madman, it's going to be 0 loss defence and you're going to hurt quite a lot. Get out the calculator and see how much dies :-). Otherwise, depending on a Peg/Puslar ratio, you can probably scare a lot of Pulsars away (or at least Pulsar defence to others you're hitting). Pulsars aren't too strong.

Battleships:
Syren (Cr -> De)
Dragon (Bs -> Cr)
Wyvern (Bs -> Fr)
Leviathan (Bs -> Roids)
Behemoth (Cr -> Stru) (obviously optional).

Anti Bs(/Cr):
Drake: De-> Cr
Chimera: De -> Bs
Dragon: Bs -> Cr
Widowmaker: De -> Bs
Scarab: De-> Cr
Black Widow: Cr -> Bs
Ghost: Fr-> Cr
Peacekeeper: De-> Bs
Clipper: Fr -> Bs
Buccaneer: Cr-> Bs
As you can see, 3/6 of the anti Bs ships are De class, so it's often worth sending the Syren along as a helpful-but-expendable ship, to reduce losses (it also has generally better stats than the Bs ships).

You could try a Bs/Cr combo on Cathaar, use Dragons on low-Clipper Ziks (probably earlier in the round, as Ziks tend to concentrate on stealing more ships at the beginning of the round)
Terrans aren't so helpful: Drakes AND Dragons fire on your Cr (though I doubt many Terrans will have both), even though Syrens fire on hostile Chimera.
Xan will be very much dependant on fleet composition. Syrens work fine vs Peacekeepers, but it's very likely that Xans will mass Ghosts to keep both Cathaar and Terran away.

I think that Terran might be like last round - not a favourite, but not bad if played well and with decent alliance support (especially if there aren't so many Terrans around - after a while, people won't build so much Terran defence (e.g. Bombers/Pulsars/Phoenix) as they'll be concentrating on other defence).

Ship that will be most underrated: Wyvern. It'll be essential for ingal defence vs Xan Fr.
Suggested fleet combos:
Either build
Phoenix/Gryphon/De/Wyvern, or Harpy/Gryphon/Chimera/Syren/Bs.
Either way you have ships that target all classes.
With the first option, the Gryphon is ingal defence vs Co (and Xan Fi/Co fleets if you're brave ), and the Wyvern is ingal defence vs Xan Fr. The Phoenix is alliance defence for De, and the Drake/Chimera can be used for alliance defence when not on attack. Obviously this is more beneficial to your galaxy than alliance .
The other option gives the Harpy, Chimera (and Drake if you want to build that too!) as alliance defence, and the Gryphon (and Wyvern when it's home) as ingal defence.

Now I'll let you all pelt this and I'll try another race

Last edited by Appocomaster; 18 Oct 2005 at 18:32.
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 23:42   #2
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Terran Race Guide (R15)

In my personal opinion, the gryphon is an ugly ship, and I'm up in the air over whether it's even worth buying any at all, since any cath worth his salt will have enough vipers to rip you up. I reckon a handful would be useful to prevent fleet wasting (eg. 12 waves of 500 mosquitos or something), but other than that, I would save the resources for other ships

Not sure which of the DE or BS fleets appeals to me most now I think about it though!
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2005, 10:09   #3
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
Terran are by any extent not the most defensive of races. They're a fairly strong race offensively. Because of their high armour and low damage, they're meant to take losses and capture asteroids.
Nice post Appocomaster.
Generally I do agree, the trick is to get your target to flee their def ships with the bs or bs/cr combo on the 3 other races. The de to land a zero loss attack v caths and ziks If possible.
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2005, 23:14   #4
[ND]Kar

[ND]Kar is just really nice[ND]Kar is just really nice[ND]Kar is just really nice[ND]Kar is just really nice

Well put, Appocomaster. I learned last round (the hard way) that if a Terran mass builds wave distorters, they can own pretty well. I saw numerous times when there would be inc where it was unsure whether it was DE or BS, usually ending up with lots of roids in favor of the Terran. Happens to be the strategy I am going for this round
For me
And I'm Feeling Good
[ND]Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 01:39   #5
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ND]Kar
Well put, Appocomaster. I learned last round (the hard way) that if a Terran mass builds wave distorters, they can own pretty well. I saw numerous times when there would be inc where it was unsure whether it was DE or BS, usually ending up with lots of roids in favor of the Terran. Happens to be the strategy I am going for this round
one of the things I like about terrans.
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 02:59   #6
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddies
one of the things I like about terrans.
One of their few redeeming qualities .

I've always hated having poor initiative .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote