Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Aug 2004, 20:17   #1
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Inspectre is an unknown quantity at this point
The Great Thread Exchange: Micron

This thread was first produced by PK. I've always thought that it had great potential, and so I thank him for the opportunity to try to show some of that potential in this thread exchange. And now, with further ado, I present the new Micron.

-------------------

The mid-21st century was an era of peace and prosperity. After a rocky start, the early years of the 21st century proved to be a new Golden Age of sorts, as countless new technologies sprang forth from the ether. These new technologies solved many of humanity’s worst problems, including hunger, poverty, and even disease.

The wellspring for many of these technologies was the groundbreaking nanotechnology developed by Nano-Tech Industries. Primarily a pharmaceutical company, Nano-Tech Industries developed the first successful nanite, or nano-machine, with the intention of using it within the human body. While successful, the development of a working nanite proved to be more important than the Nano-Tech executives initially believed, as numerous spin-offs projects by other companies sprang up over-night, in such various fields as energy production, food production, and building construction.

While Nano-Tech Industries couldn’t claim any of the other beneficial products as its own, it could continue to work on its original goal: developing a pharmaceutical nanite product. Within ten years, Nano-Tech’s various nanites had enabled doctors to achieve what the rest of the medical field hadn’t been able to do since its conception: eradicate disease. For those people comfortable with the idea of thousands of microscopic machines crawling through their bloodstream, virtually any health problem could be cured, regardless of whether it was caused by genetics or germs.

However, the once-insurmountable challenge doctors faced in their war to eradicate illness was not caused by the sheer number of germs, but by their adaptability . . .

September 21st, 2067 – A young girl is found dead outside her home in the Ibana River Valley, located in the African nation of Zimbabwe. When given a cursory examination by paramedics upon arrival at the home, nothing physically wrong with the girl is discovered.

September 24th, 2067 – The autopsy of the girl is finally complete, and the coroner’s report shreds light on the cause of the girl’s death, although the answer only raises more questions: the girl died of a sudden and inexplicable cessation of brain signals to the heart.

September 25th, 2067 – The girl’s family is found dead in their home, although an investigation by law enforcement and paramedics reveals that none of the family members were victims of foul play, nor did any of them commit suicide. A subsequent autopsy of each reveals that they all died from the same thing as their girl: cessation of brain signals.

September 30th, 2067 – A mysterious illness sweeps through most of the Ibana River Valley, killing well over 30% of the local population in a single day. Horrified, local officials contact the Zimbabwe government, asking for immediate help.

October 2nd, 2067 – Representatives from the Zimbabwean government finally arrive in the Ibana River Valley to evaluate the situation, only to find that nearly 80% of the population has now perished from the mysterious disease. Recalling ancient disease containment protocols, the officials opt to remain in the valley, in order not to risk spreading the disease further. All officials except one, that is, who flees into the wilderness in the hopes that he had not already contracted whatever this new illness was.

October 4th, 2067 – Official researchers from the World Health Organization arrive in Zimbabwe, at the behest of the Zimbabwean government. Clad in modern-day Biohazard suits, the researchers head to the Ibana River Valley, after being warned by government officials that some generals in the military were counselling a firebombing of the Ibana River Valley, covering the entire area in napalm and hoping that it would destroy whatever remained of this new disease, along with any remaining carriers.

October 5th, 2067 – The World Health researchers arrive in the Ibana River Valley, by which time was under a military blockade of all roads and other common entrance-exit points into the Valley. The blockade proved to be not needed, however, as nearly 95% of the local residents of the valley were by this time dead.

October 8th, 2067 – The last of the valley’s residents perishes, along with the Zimbabwean government officials who had elected to stay after arriving in the valley on October 2nd. Despite the chance to examine several obviously infected people (obvious only in the fact that they were the last people alive in a valley that evidently was plagued by some sort of germ that had already killed everyone else) thoroughly, and do several sweeps with microbial hunter-killer nanites, the World Health researchers find nothing.

October 9th, 2067 – With all inhabitants dead, the World Health researchers collect several tissue samples to take back for study, practice good bio-containment procedure by destroying all of their used suits & equipment a safe distance from the valley, and then leave. The government orders a carpet bombing of the valley shortly thereafter, using incendiary bombs and napalm to cleanse the Ibana River Valley of all life.

October 15th, 2067 – Another case of the disease appears, this time in Cairo, Egypt. Standard containment procedures, designed for use more in rural villages than in major cities, prove to be mostly impossible to implement. Nevertheless, Egyptian officials set up a blockade around the city, cutting off all incoming and outgoing ground and air traffic.

October 17th, 2067 – Yet more cases of the disease appear, this time in Tokyo, Chicago, and London. The World Health Organization, after analyzing the situation, declares a pandemic. Still unsure of the exact nature of the disease, health officials nonetheless classify the pandemic as a massive outbreak of a new virus, one which is apparently undetectable by traditional methods, and unrecognized as a target by nanite hunter-killers.

October 21st, 2067 – As the pandemic continues to spiral it out of control, one journalist refers to the viral outbreak as the “Ibana Virus”, after the disease’s apparent point of origin in the Ibana River Valley. The name sticks, and even World Health Organization officials soon start referring to the “Ibana Virus” in reports on new outbreaks.

October 28th, 2067 – World Health Organization officials, still at a loss as to how to combat the Ibana virus, contact Nano-Tech Industries. As the primary supplier of nanites
to the rest of the world, if anyone could figure out how to alter the nanite hunter-killers to target the Ibana virus, it would be Nano-Tech.

November 4th, 2067 – Nano-tech officially reports that it is having difficulty modifying the hunter-killers into targeting the Ibana virus. Even after nearly a month of study, not a single researcher can even describe what Nano-Tech should be programming their hunter-killer nanites to look for. Despite the lack of empirical evidence that the Ibana Virus exists, the body count continues to rise throughout the world.

November 6th, 2067 – Rumors begin to circulate that Nano-Tech Industries has started a new research project, based on its current failure to find a cure for the Ibana Virus. No details about the actual project have yet been leaked to journalists, except the name: The Micron Project.

November 7th, 2067 – Although the media would not be aware of this fact until several weeks later, several clandestine representatives of Nano-Tech Industries approach some of the top fighter pilots and scientists around the world, saying that Nano-Tech had a job for them . . . .

---------------------------------------------------

This thread will be heavily stats based for combat. As such, you can bite off more than your can chew, especially if you have the wrong type of equipment for the job (big, heavy guns versus small, agile opponents, for example). Your character can therefore die if you aren’t careful, and if that happens, too bad. Of course, you can restart as a brand new character, or perhaps take over one of the NPCs if necessary. (Note that character deaths should be quite rare, but they can happen, especially if you are arrogant. :roll: ) Note that the stat-based combat will not take pilot skills levels into effect, but rather ship equipment only. (For example, each weapon will have a certain amount accuracy, do a certain amount of damage when it hits, etc.)

Ok, now to join this thread here’s what I need from you right now.

Name: Obviously, your char’s name
Nationality: where does your char come from?
Appearance: Optional
Class: Either pilot or scientist. Pilots fly the craft that will be used in the struggle against the Ibana Virus. Combat and excitement, naturally, are what their job is. Scientists, meanwhile, stay behind and conduct research on the Ibana Virus. This role is more for those RPers who would prefer to sit around and chat as opposed to fight. In addition to being more relaxed and chat-oriented as opposed to combat oriented, scientists will also be responsible for assigning research points to the various available research projects, and will be responsible for solving the mystery behind the Ibana Virus.
Background: You can do this in one of two ways. Either type up a typical background, being sure to include any memorable moments in your character’s career that would have attracted the attention of Nano-Tech recruiters, or you can do an in-thread post describing your character’s most recent escapade. At the end, you’ll find some Nano-Tech recruiters waiting for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
like you in your threads after about a week

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Inspectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 20:18   #2
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Ships

None currently available
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.

Last edited by Inspectre; 4 Aug 2004 at 20:27.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 20:19   #3
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Re: The Great Thread Exchange: Micron

Weapons

None currently available
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.

Last edited by Inspectre; 4 Aug 2004 at 20:29.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 20:20   #4
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Shields & Armor

None currently available
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.

Last edited by Inspectre; 4 Aug 2004 at 20:31.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 20:21   #5
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Equipment

None currently available
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.

Last edited by Inspectre; 4 Aug 2004 at 20:31.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 20:23   #6
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Power Generators

None currently available
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.

Last edited by Inspectre; 4 Aug 2004 at 20:32.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 20:23   #7
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Research

No fields currently available
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.

Last edited by Inspectre; 4 Aug 2004 at 20:33.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 20:30   #8
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Enemies

None currently known
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 20:45   #9
No Dachi

No Dachi is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspectre
Name: No Dachi
Nationality: British
Class: Pilot
Background: I'll type it in later.
That Noble Sin; whilst Luxury
Emply'd a Million of the Poor,
And odious Pride a Million more.'

-The Grumbling Hive: or, Knaves Turn'd Honest, Bernard Mandeville
No Dachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 20:58   #10
Planetkiller II
Current HrH Manijjmint

Planetkiller II has a spectacular aura aboutPlanetkiller II has a spectacular aura about

In. But you knew that already.

Name: Peter 'PK' King
Nationality: British
Appearance: Dark hair, green eyes, medium-tall height
Background: A mechaniszed walker test-pilot for the British armed forces, Peter has always been on the cutting edge of vehicle development. After transfering to the experimental division from a short spell in the regualr infantry, PK quickly rose through the ranks due to his affinity with piloting the new mech suits that were beginning to come into service.

Er... will that do... originallity is failing me at the moment...

Horseman of the Psy-Apocalypse - Famine, Psychic Weapons Divison Commander and Tutor of Telenullics at the Academy of Psychics

Last edited by Planetkiller II; 5 Aug 2004 at 15:57.
Planetkiller II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 23:29   #11
Zappa Tenderlea
Grote Boze Rocker

Zappa Tenderlea is infamous around these partsZappa Tenderlea is infamous around these parts

name: Zappa
Nationality: Belgian

history: watched to many star wars movies, wanted to become the second anakin, safe the becoming darth vader, breathing trough a mask for the rest of his life, chasing and trying to kill his son and everyone else, and ofc dying, that is. Seems to be rather well on his way, next to excelling in ninjitsu, he's flown, driven and riden prettymuch everything. he even has pilotted a nuclear submarine once, for an exhibition from a warmuseum. he seems to instantly know how to work every kind of vehicle. Pascifist by nature.

I have but one wish: to see you all rot in hell before I trade this life for eternity

The truth can't hurt you, it's just like the dark, it scares you wittless, but in time you see things clear and stark

Last edited by Zappa Tenderlea; 6 Aug 2004 at 10:08.
Zappa Tenderlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 23:46   #12
Wraith[x]
Moo?

Wraith[x] is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in. I'll have nothing
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 19:05   #13
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Wraith

Ok. Care to post a character?

Zappa

After a hard day of work at the local museum, you return to your apartment located in downtown Brussels. The local museum had somehow found an old WWII fighter plane rusting away in storage, and was now in the process of refurbishing it. You were helping with their efforts, in return for the chance to fly it. As far as you know, only a handful of pilots in the world could today claim that they'd flown a plane from WWII.

You are fairly exhausted, as the museum curators have insisted on using WWII techniques for putting the plane together in order to keep the plane authentic. This included using the unwieldy and heavy riveters to join sections of the plane's skin together. Staggering into your apartment, you look to check your answering machine and find the red light winking at you.

Grumbling about the fact that someone seemed to be determined to keep you from your justly deserved sleep, you nonetheless walk over and tap the "play" button. A moment later, an unfamiliar voice begins to drone out from the answering machine's speakers.

Good afternoon, Mr. Zappa. I am Morgan Silva, a representative of Nano-Tech Industries. I have been sent by Nano-Tech Industries to discuss an important business offer with you. I suggest that we meet over lunch to discuss the particulars. I propose the Café Brussel at 1:00 pm, sharp. Please call my secretary at 735-6720 to confirm the meeting. I hope to see you tomorrow, Mr. Zappa. Good-bye. *BEEP* END OF MESSAGES.

PK

You are on the last lap for this test run. Eager to see just how far the envelop could be pushed, you open up the throttle all the way, pushing the Lynx up to its top speed. The experimental two-legged walking tank, commonly called a mech by your superiors, speeds up accordingly and races down the track. You are almost to the end of the finish line when your comm link beeps. Alerted to the fact that you have an incoming call, you move your hand briefly off to the control stick to flick the necessary switch to make the connection. A moment later the voice of Lieutenant Jonas Darby comes from the speakers.

"Hey buddy, I know this place is suppossed to be top secret," At this, Darby snorts. Although not quite as well-known to the British public as the old Area 51 was to the Americans, the Mech Testing Station was occasionally mentioned by the media. Thus, what Darby said next came as little suprise. "But apparently some representative from a Nano-Tech Industries called a few minutes ago. For whatever reason, he says he wants to speak with you, and that he will be here tomorrow. Would you like me to call him back, and tell him to p*ss off, or would you rather come into the Control Room and do it yourself?"

ND

I need a background from you before I can proceed to work you into the thread.
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 7 Aug 2004, 05:46   #14
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Bakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the rough

Name: Incom "Bakan" Morgan
Nationality: American
Appearance: 5'8", black hair cut short, typically wearing sunglasses, wiry build.
Class: Pilot - Aircraft
Background: One of the first test-pilots of the SA-35X Space Interceptor, the first fighter craft designed for both atmospheric and space combat, Bakan was the first to sucesfully pull of a "Crazy Ivan" in atmosphere (Soviet tactic in submarriene combat where they do a full 360 to scan the area with sonar). While never serving in actual combat, Bakan's stunts with test craft have earned him a repuatation for taking great risks. Finally, in simulated combat, he literally flies circles around his enemies, both computer and other pilots.
Unread 7 Aug 2004, 12:24   #15
No Dachi

No Dachi is infamous around these parts

Background: Ex-RAF fighter pilot. Served with disctinction in a war of some kind. Quit the service after a four-year term and has since been flying stunt planes at air shows.
That Noble Sin; whilst Luxury
Emply'd a Million of the Poor,
And odious Pride a Million more.'

-The Grumbling Hive: or, Knaves Turn'd Honest, Bernard Mandeville
No Dachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2004, 14:30   #16
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

stuff and so on. i'll be back in two weeks in full scientist mode. until then, i recommend King Tubby for all your dub needs.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2004, 19:28   #17
Planetkiller II
Current HrH Manijjmint

Planetkiller II has a spectacular aura aboutPlanetkiller II has a spectacular aura about

"Hmm... I wonder what those guys want. I wouldn't have thought Mechs would be on their minds at the moment what with... things at the moment. I'll come up there. Shutting down operations."

*PK began powering down, and lifted his cockpit hatch. After extending the boarding ladder, PK descended and made for the control tower.*

Horseman of the Psy-Apocalypse - Famine, Psychic Weapons Divison Commander and Tutor of Telenullics at the Academy of Psychics
Planetkiller II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 17:50   #18
Zappa Tenderlea
Grote Boze Rocker

Zappa Tenderlea is infamous around these partsZappa Tenderlea is infamous around these parts
... now what.... ah, to hell with it, probably some stupid survey about which soaps are used by which kind of people... I'm gonna get me some sleep.

tired as hell from a long day's work, Zappa crawls into bed, thinking about how great it will be to fly that WW2 airplane... slowly, he starts fading into a sleep, when the telephone pops back into his mind... for some reason, he IS interested.. turning around in his bed, he tries to take his mind somewhere else, and wakes up his girlfriend...

:gollum:
*censored*
:gollum:

a sigarette is shared, and slowly, the fading into sleep recommences... but that telephone just won't leave his head...
cursing slightly underbreath, Zappa gets up, and walks towards the phone, calling the secretary, well, the answeringmachine actualy, and leaving a message stating he'll be there. next, he calls the museum, and tells the nightwatch to warn the boss that he has an appointment tomorrownoon, thus will have to be excused for a few hours... satisfied, he returns to bed, and dreams of ancient planes and a war on Germany

I have but one wish: to see you all rot in hell before I trade this life for eternity

The truth can't hurt you, it's just like the dark, it scares you wittless, but in time you see things clear and stark
Zappa Tenderlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 22:09   #19
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

name: Remy 'Flapjack' Redert
nationality: Dutch
class: Pilot-aircraft (guess what Bakan, you've got a wing-mate :P)
appearance: short and slim, brown hair and blue eyes
background: Military test pilot, having flown many prototype aircraft and having a number of astonishing stunts, and crashes, on his record. Most crashes occured due to mechanical failures, however Flapjack has only once used the ejector seat, where his aircraft had suddenly failed to respond completely in the middle of a loop, pointing his nose directly down.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2004, 08:42   #20
Flaag
I have returned! (again)

Flaag is infamous around these partsFlaag is infamous around these partsFlaag is infamous around these parts

Name: Stanislaw Majewicz (pronounced Staniswav Mayevich)
Nationality: Polish
Class: Pilot- Helicopter
Appearance: Tall and thin, black hair, brown eyes
Background: Despite recieving good grades at school, Stanislaw opted to join the air force, wanting to do an exciting job rather than sit at a desk all day. He was at th top of his class during training, and was very quickly given a chance to fly in some peacekeeping operations in Africa. He had been near the Ibana valley about a month before the outbreak on a training exercise with some rookie pilots from the AU, and once the outbreak was anounced he was kept in solitary confinement for 2 months to ensure he did not have the disease. After making sue he was not dead he was released and allowed to fly again, and went back to training the AU pilots, this time in Morocco. After the October 17th outbreaks he was recalled to Poland to reduce the risk of contact with the disease.
Flaag is offline   Reply With Quote