User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 29 Jul 2005, 18:51   #1
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of
Question Engineering Priorities

There has probably been a thread on this before, but not seeing it currently I'll start it. I think it would be useful to be able to set multiple engineering priorities to the same task. Call it tasking multiple engineering groups to the same area of focus. This way I could set two or even all three engineering priorities to a single task. Why would I want to do this? There are occasions when there are really only two tasks I need to pursue, so sometimes I feel that the third priority is going to waste. Now I would also suggest that if multiple engineering priorities are set to the same task that the lower engineering priority not have quite it's full effect. That way you can't get a HUGE bonus by having a total focus on one task (call it interferance between engineering groups). Thoughts?

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 19:05   #2
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

kamikaze69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Engineering Priorities

yeah, there have been multiple threads on this very topic, it is a topical discussion in which the split of like and dislike people is usually 50:50, so we have not persued it.

Do the Mods still have this debate in an archive somewhere, rather than create a new thread with everyone voicing the same opinions again, can someone refer the link into here?

I want what is rightfully MINE . I have much, but need MUCH MORE !!!

R13 - [F-CREW]
R14 - [F-CREW]
kamikaze69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 00:14   #3
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze69
yeah, there have been multiple threads on this very topic, it is a topical discussion in which the split of like and dislike people is usually 50:50, so we have not persued it.
I have a terrible memory - i dont recall the last time it was discussed, the arguments for an against, nor whether it was approved/regected/dicuss/ignored.

I can, however, remember why it wasnt introduced in the first place - and that was because War used to be an engineering priority - thus trebling up on War would have caused serious damage do anyone (as it would be ~+25%).

I Think there is room for review, at least.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 05:30   #4
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

it would allow eta and ships to be done by about tick 72 to 100 making the round go stale faster

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 10:01   #5
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

I understand the problem of having 1 useless priority slot so here's my suggestion : remove it.
Allow for only 2 priorities. This would force more strategic choices early on and lead to more diversity in tactics. And in this case it would be good (and not too much) to be able to give the 2 priorities to the same task.
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 16:30   #6
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

there are no useless prio slots

allowing for 2 of the same to happen is just bad for the game

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 18:04   #7
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

it's about this stage of the game where you NEED 3 slots, because you wanna protect your cov ops stuff too.

but you still need mining and research/constructions/production.

3 are still needed, and they shouldn't be able to double up.

R13 - [F-CREW]
R14 - [F-CREW]
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 18:09   #8
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

going the other way, I'm trying to sort out a basic idea which would allow 4 engineering settings and 6 different things to be changed (unfortunately it's not easily possible to include the war / and "armour" (increasing armour by 10%) engineering setttings in the combat engine). The current options would be modified to allow for 4 different settings, and we'd have a waves option that increased the amps / disorters by say 10 / 7 / 5 / 3 for the different settings.
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 15:19   #9
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

an armor engineering setting??? wtf??? that will make terrans indestructable!!!

It's hard enough to do damage to a terran as it is, now you want to make them stronger??? while you are at it, are you going to do an attack engineering setting too??? then the poor Cath is back down to one of the weaker races in the game again with the Xan's constantly attacking them and with the terrans an impassable mountain!!!

If your are going to be doing that, I suggest that the time it takes for the changes occur to 72 hours, to discourage the constant changing of the tides.

imo, I can see chaos ensuing if this is to be implemented for r15.

R13 - [F-CREW]
R14 - [F-CREW]
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 15:42   #10
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

If you read my post, you'll see I said that those 2 priorities are not possible with the current settings. And if everyone can do it, how is it unfair? You'd have to choose between damage, and resources from mining, and pumping your armour, and everything else.
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 20:31   #11
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorsdown
it would allow eta and ships to be done by about tick 72 to 100 making the round go stale faster
This is why I suggested degrading the efficiency of having multiple engineering priorities set the same. I find that late in the game minning and production become my major requirements, security is delt with through security centers. So if I could double up on production or minning for a smaller extra advantage I would like to. By decreasing the effectiveness of multiple ussage it limits the "abuse" that can be done with it. I would suggest that having all three priorities set to one area of interest would be barely beneficial so as to discourage it.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2005, 20:23   #12
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

i'd like to suggest a "ship speed" priority that affects eta. ofc with the current system you cannot really touch the incoming eta, but i thought along the lines of the priority only affecting return eta of a fleet, you could just make it e.g. -1, -2, -3. It would be not strictly necessary to most players probably but very active attackers/defenders may use it to their advantage and also an alliance might order their members to set it in times of war. I think in terms of usefulness it could be well balanced with the other available priorities. comments?
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2005, 20:26   #13
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious
i'd like to suggest a "ship speed" priority that affects eta. ofc with the current system you cannot really touch the incoming eta, but i thought along the lines of the priority only affecting return eta of a fleet, you could just make it e.g. -1, -2, -3. It would be not strictly necessary to most players probably but very active attackers/defenders may use it to their advantage and also an alliance might order their members to set it in times of war. I think in terms of usefulness it could be well balanced with the other available priorities. comments?
Actually, I really like this idea. I think the game would be more interesting if there were more priorities to make there be more of a choice, and I think this one is probably a viable option.
Unread 4 Aug 2005, 20:35   #14
LukeyLove
ND Ninja!
Trampoline Tricks 2 Champion

LukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe
There has probably been a thread on this before, but not seeing it currently I'll start it. I think it would be useful to be able to set multiple engineering priorities to the same task. Call it tasking multiple engineering groups to the same area of focus. This way I could set two or even all three engineering priorities to a single task. Why would I want to do this? There are occasions when there are really only two tasks I need to pursue, so sometimes I feel that the third priority is going to waste. Now I would also suggest that if multiple engineering priorities are set to the same task that the lower engineering priority not have quite it's full effect. That way you can't get a HUGE bonus by having a total focus on one task (call it interferance between engineering groups). Thoughts?
Hmm, i dont really think it would add anything to the game.. if anything take away from it, a common use of the current eta system is to help work out what shipclass it is.. i think this would take that element away, also i think it would become void as a -1 eta for most people would become an automatic prioritie.. people without it would struggle to defend most attacks and would suffer when attacking as well.. I just think -1 eta is ALOT bigger bonus as opose to 5% res speed.

RAWR!

~Love Luke, Love Life~
LukeyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2005, 20:39   #15
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeyLove
Hmm, i dont really think it would add anything to the game.. if anything take away from it, a common use of the current eta system is to help work out what shipclass it is.. i think this would take that element away, also i think it would become void as a -1 eta for most people would become an automatic prioritie.. people without it would struggle to defend most attacks and would suffer when attacking as well.. I just think -1 eta is ALOT bigger bonus as opose to 5% res speed.
Lukey, will you learn reading please.. i clearly said RETURN ETA ONLY.
Unread 4 Aug 2005, 20:40   #16
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
I think you quoted the wrong message - multiple engineering options was the topic discussed by Monroe.

And as for the reducing ETA, it's only the returning ETA. If anything, it'll make fleet catches more difficult, but it would help the more active, especially say Xan trying to attack as quickly as possible. However, if it were implemented, I think it should only take effect for the fleets yet to have left the planet - fleets that left the planet hours ago should not have their returning ETA modified, to reduce abuse.
Unread 4 Aug 2005, 20:44   #17
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
IHowever, if it were implemented, I think it should only take effect for the fleets yet to have left the planet - fleets that left the planet hours ago should not have their returning ETA modified, to reduce abuse.
Just had a short discussion with ally mates who made me aware of the problem of fleet catches, and i came to the same instant solution. Yes, it would still make fleet catches a little harder, as it wouldn't be entirely clear what is the return eta of a fleet. I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing though.
Unread 4 Aug 2005, 20:46   #18
LukeyLove
ND Ninja!
Trampoline Tricks 2 Champion

LukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
okok i admit it im a n00b not only quoted wrong message but also didnt read all of what envy said correctly /sigh im not made for forums! Even so i dont think it would be beneficial tbh.. like ppl have said before it makes fleetcatches too hard.. the only way around this would be to add an engineering scan which would also be useful for attackers to c their prio's and when to expect value drop if its gonna hit their wave..

RAWR!

~Love Luke, Love Life~
LukeyLove is offline   Reply With Quote