User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 25 Aug 2006, 17:59   #51
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
I'm not sure something like that could work. Most children would just play games all day, if they were given the option.
We don't really know that. I don't know what they'd spend their days doing, and I suspect you don't know either. But it's possible, sure. And personally, I'd like to live in a world where that was possible. Games can certainly be structured (and I don't mean by someone directing play) in a fashion to educate people while they learn.
Quote:
What if they were rubbish painters too, effectively wasting their entire school career? Obviously that's an extreme example, but there would be far more occurrences of children leaving school ill-equipped to deal with the world simply because they didn't possess the breadth of knowledge which we do, because we were forced to do it.
The breadth of knowledge I have is definitely NOT because I was forced to do music or art or whatever else. I would estimate about 90% of what I know is self-taught. Education is not about forcing random tidbits into your mind, but instilling a love of learning and equipping you with the right tools in order to research yourself. As well as some basic skills, of course.
Quote:
Not to mention the fact that children can't really make informed decisions as they're only proto-sentient (i made up a stupid word! \o/).
I'm not really sure what you mean here but I suspect I disagree. Yes, children might do things against their long term interests but it's only in drastic cases it's really justiifed in restricting people's liberties. As I say, if you really think the current education system is working out well then that's cool, but I obviously disagree.
Quote:
Kids, by and large, don't want to be at school, or at least they would rather be doing other things.
I would agree with this but point out that perhaps it's because schools are in some respects like prisons in their current form. Of course people don't want to be there, and I don't blame them.
Quote:
If you hadn't had someone forcing you to do it, would you have done it at all?
Maybe. Maybe not. But it would have been my choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
i know i'd be pretty cheesed off if i found out i could have been an olympic violinist if only my parents had made me go to music class etc...
Really? I'm not sure I'd care. There's lots of things i've never tried. I could have an awesome innate ability to learn Japanese but as I've never tried I don't know. Perhaps it is sad if someone never finds their gift, but I'd personally chalk that down to life experiences.
Quote:
about the potential for someone to develop a taste/ability
This is true, and I agree which is why I'd support life-long learning and always having the ability to start learning what you want (with communal support where required). We already have this to an extent, lots of older people do adult education courses these days. Sure, if you never did _any_ maths at all for your whole life perhaps part of your brain wouldn't develop in the same way. But that'd be quite rare (most parents teach their kid some form of numbers way before they go to school anyway) and not likely to occur very often. And lots of things like games (Monopoly, Poker, most computer games) require number skills of some form so even a total slacker of a kid would have interacted with numbers quite a bit.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2006, 19:45   #52
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yeah you're right of course, but I was thinking of essential skills like maths/english when I wrote that rather than optional things like painting/martial arts/etc, which shouldnt be forced on kids who dont enjoy them. I think its slightly naive saying 'let them do what they like' though, because in my experience kids will often hate the sound of new things for totally bizarre reasons, and then actually enjoy them once theyre made to do them and find out theyre actually fun. So yeah, I dont really have a problem with forcing kids to do things like chess and kickboxing, but if they arent enjoying them after a few weeks they shouldnt be made to continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
I'm not sure something like that could work. Most children would just play games all day, if they were given the option. I know me and my schoolmates would have done.
I think the idea that children would rather play games than learn things is largely a myth created by our current hideously anti-intellecual education system. Kids are generally mentally curious and like learning things, as long as it isnt taught to them in a boring manner (like most things are in schools today). When I was at school I loved learning about things like dinosaurs/chemistry/computer programming/reading etc, and my mum used to take me to some extra-curriculur sunday school thing which I really enjoyed. Look at how much kids enjoy activities like beavers/cubs/scouts for example, which are leargely based around structured learning.

When it comes to things like reading/maths, I'm sure some kids will hate learning it and might need to be forced somewhat, but I doubt the majority will mind. I know I didnt hate reading/maths at primary school up until my fourth year there, where the style of teaching changed from letting me explore things to deliberately holding me back so the dumber kids could catch up.

Look into Montessori schooling for an idea of how a more rational system method might work.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2006, 19:47   #53
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Just for the record. I am a musician so one of these arty types. I was alright at maths at school (im proud of my C A-level) but I was shit at English.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2006, 21:03   #54
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

It is a myth that people with dyslexia are bad at english because of it.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Aug 2006, 16:14   #55
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
Thanks for the info aestuos - not sure how I would use a stres ball when I type
Place it between your buttocks?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Aug 2006, 16:16   #56
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Place it between your buttocks?
\o/ I don't think it would cause the desired effect though

Unread 28 Aug 2006, 23:53   #57
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My youngest son is dylexic. So we beat him and sold him to the gypsys.

Now that I think of it, my oldest son is not dyslexic yet I beat him and sold him to the gypsys as well.

So the whole thing may not have had anything to do with the dyslexia thing. Maybe it was more of a parenting style.

Anyway, never mind.
Unread 29 Aug 2006, 06:15   #58
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

I heard that coffee worsens dyslexia. Maybe cut down on the coffee?

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2006, 22:39   #59
Marv
Jazz Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiGOD
I heard that coffee worsens dyslexia. Maybe cut down on the coffee?
Don't drink it \o/ never have

Unread 3 Sep 2006, 03:56   #60
Vikman
F-crew HC

Vikman is on a distinguished road

When I got tested for ADD, the doctor also found that along with ADD, I had dyslexia. At that time I was 19 years old and no one had picked it up till then. They said because I use to read a lot when i was little, I was able to get by without anyone noticing. I told my college of both of my problems and they gave me accomodations that have really helped me in classes(along with my ritalin ).
[email protected]
Vikman is offline   Reply With Quote