User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 16 Nov 2005, 20:02   #1
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
I Question Your Patriotism

So I'm not going to name any names or anything. It gets old. But after this past Veteran's Day, when it was rediscovered that everyone who doesn't approve of 'X' is clearly unpatriotic, and likely hates his or her own country, I'm curious.

Have 'good guys' ever used the "you are unpatriotic" routine? All the classic examples I can think of are either like Joe McCarthy or the axis during world war II or many people during the vietnam war. In world war II, we certainly were all patriotism crazy, but in terms of saying 'quit being unpatriotic' the only examples i can think might be are people telling that to people complaining about internment camps. Which goes back to my original point.

Could the phrase 'you are being unpatriotic' be universally translated as 'I am fighting to make the world a worse place'?

I'm trying to find a coutnerexample. To my knowledge, when the south said 'we don't want to be part of the USA anymore,' Lincoln never said that was unpatriotic.

But I could be wrong. Hence the question.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 20:10   #2
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Re: I Question Your Patriotism

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis
Could the phrase 'you are being unpatriotic' be universally translated as 'I am fighting to make the world a worse place'?
No, it's too broad a definition. I could be unpatriotic by saying I hate Bulldogs and Cricket (I don't).

Quote:
I'm trying to find a coutnerexample. To my knowledge, when the south said 'we don't want to be part of the USA anymore,' Lincoln never said that was unpatriotic.
No, he said, "Civil War it is then lads"
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 20:12   #3
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Have 'good guys' ever used the "you are unpatriotic" routine?
Yahwe seems to use it fairly often, although I dont think he would be classified as a 'good guy'.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 20:34   #4
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all

All the time.

Whenever a national mood sweeps the country, it is not all that uncommon for the minority to be called anti-(insert country). During the First World war, not volunteering was considered wildly unpatriotic in almost every allied nation.

Wonderfully, when people in Britain questioned allying themselves with Stalin during WWII due to his evil nature, they were called unpatriotic, yet 10 years later those who questioned the tart of the cold war were considered unpatriotic.

In 1964, not supporting the Vietnam conflict was considered unpatrotic. in 1972, opposing the withdrawl from Vietnam was considered unpatriotic.

It happens all the time, I really don't think it is fair to label any side or group as doing it exclusively.

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 20:37   #5
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Yahwe seems to use it fairly often, although I dont think he would be classified as a 'good guy'.
do i indeed?

well then you'll have do trouble quoting me.
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 20:46   #6
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermillion
the tart of the cold war
That's no way to speak about Maggie.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 20:49   #7
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If silly appeals to nationalism are your only means of rational argument it becomes a pretty poor argument. I'm sure it has been used, the patriotism argument that is, in circumstances throughout history when there were other more sensible arguments. However for fairly obvious reasons we remember those arguments and only especially recall accusations of being unpatriotic when they're not supported by anything better.
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 21:10   #8
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermillion
All the time.

Whenever a national mood sweeps the country, it is not all that uncommon for the minority to be called anti-(insert country). During the First World war, not volunteering was considered wildly unpatriotic in almost every allied nation.

Wonderfully, when people in Britain questioned allying themselves with Stalin during WWII due to his evil nature, they were called unpatriotic, yet 10 years later those who questioned the tart of the cold war were considered unpatriotic.

In 1964, not supporting the Vietnam conflict was considered unpatrotic. in 1972, opposing the withdrawl from Vietnam was considered unpatriotic.

It happens all the time, I really don't think it is fair to label any side or group as doing it exclusively.
during the first world war, it seems to me the people who didn't want to show up were the smart ones. what a stupid war.

and the people who questioned allying with stalin had a good point too.

Your search - "tart of the cold war" - did not match any documents. but i'm guessing i agree with those who questioned it.

i also agree with with the people who were called unpatriotic in your 1964 example.

And could you provide some sort of link to the 'People Opposed To Running Away Clearly Are Unpatriotic' articles?

But in general, I wasn't saying that it was one of the 'traditional sides' or the other that did it, just whichever side happened to be wrong at a given time.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 21:41   #9
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis
It could be translated as:

"Shut up and sit on my finger.."
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 22:10   #10
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Ayn Rand was good and she called people unamerican.

Also, James I to Guy Fawkes: "I queftion thy patriotifm".
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 22:15   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm not sure of the wording they would have used but I suspect anyone who didn't help fight in wars of national liberation (Vietnam, China, etc) probably wouldn't have been termed unpatriotic. The Russians term WW2 the great patriotic war don't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
Ayn Rand was good
No.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 22:16   #12
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

I question Dante's patriotism!
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 22:49   #13
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The problem here is defining what is patriotic, and what is not.

Being anti or pro a war doesn't change your level of patriotism at all, as your opinion is what you think would be best overall, and therefore for your country.

However, being anti a war and wishing death on your own soldiers would be an example of being unpatriotic, as they are people fighting (rightly or wrongly) for your nation's cause.
Unread 17 Nov 2005, 00:32   #14
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
Ayn Rand was good

bump into things / form incoherent sentences / get lost / drool much?!
Unread 17 Nov 2005, 15:19   #15
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold

In my opinion theres nothing to be gained from patriotism in any form. As someone said earlier, its just a silly appeal to nationalist sentiment.
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2005, 01:16   #16
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Patriotism is a why and not a what. You can have patriots on both sides of an issue and you can have unpatriotic individuals on both sides of a national issue.

If you are doing what you think is in the best interests of your country on a national issue, you are patriotic.

If you do what is in your personal best interest without regard for the best interests of your country, on a national issue, then you are unpatriotic.

Those in the US who wish to get out of Iraq because they feel that the US is in a morally indefensable position and should get out because they truely believe that the loss of additional lives in this venture are just as patriotic as anyone.

Those in the US who wish to get out of Iraq only because they feel that they will gain political power within the US by embarrassing the US government without regard to what this might or might not do to America are unpatriotic.

Similarly, those who feel that the best interests of the American people are best served by being in Iraq are patriots.

Those who wish to be in Iraq because it benefits them personally without any thought to what it is or might be doing to the American people are unpatriotic.
Unread 18 Nov 2005, 03:19   #17
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Similarly, those who feel that the best interests of the American people are best served by getting out of Iraq are patriots.