User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 27 Jan 2005, 10:28   #1
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of
How often do you do maintanence on your computer?

IE running Defrag/scandisk,cleaning the registry, runing ad-ware/whatever and other such things?

What kind of system do you have (lets just keep it to the CPU,ram and HD size, eh?) .

Me: Defrag nightly with disk keeper and scandisk with the windows program about once a fortnight, reg clean when I can be bothered, ad-aware every week.

P3 800,384mb ram and 25gb HD.

Im just curious after having ran a virus scanner on someones pc and noticed that they had about 300k files on their PC and they are a light home user but I doubt it ever crossed their mind that this could present a kind of performance problem....they have power to burn as such.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 10:39   #2
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: How often do you do maintanence on your computer?

P3 800, 40gb and 80gb, 892mb ram.

Adware/search 'n destroy about once a week. Defrag/scandisk once a month on average, just when I feel my pc is working slower then it should.

Norton virus scan about once in two weeks.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 10:41   #3
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not as often as I should anymore. Back in the days of DOS I used to do it quite religiously, but now I geuss I'm just too slack to. Plus technology has changed in a way that we now side-step the traditional way of doing things and do it the quick and easy way. Instead of manually stripping out every last bit of problematic software we tend to do the Format / Re-install routine, instead of marking out the bad sectors on our HDD we just buy a new one.

Generally though I've found by being sensible about most things you can avoid most major issues, infact I've had a pretty much carefree PC until the whole adware / spyware thing became more of a plague than a simple annoyance.

P4 1.8GHz, 60GB 20GB 120GB, 512mb ram (of the now rare rambus variety).
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 10:45   #4
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Athlon 3000 1gb 500gb storage

Virus checked nightly
Scandisk and defrag weekly
Malware scans every 2 days

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 10:47   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Agree with djbass here.

I sort through my directories ocassionally but I've noticed that storage space is less of an issue I don't bother deleting stuff anymore. Which leads to directory structures like this :
E:\backup\D's Stuff\-= Unknown - Please look and sort =-\Stuff to be backed up\Disaster Recovery\My Docs\backup\oldbackup\

On our server though it's defragged / scandisked / etc daily. Possibly more frequently, my friend is somewhat obsessed by such things.

On my personal machine it's 1.7Ghz Athlon 512mb RAM, 200GB, most of my files are elsewhere.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 10:50   #6
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

duron 950 256 ram 120Gb HDD, which generally runs at about 20Gb full

havent scandisked or defragged in god knows how long, run the check occationally, but it always claims i dont need to run them

run ad aware and SS&D every couple of weeks though, but don't generally get a lot of stuff cos i tend to use the same few websites
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 10:57   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

generally i do a clean format and reinstall every 2-3 months.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 10:58   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

XP1700+, 1024mb RAM, 200GB HDD, etc etc, running stable for many, many moons now (last reinstall was last summer I think).

Rarely. I about never defrag, because there is never enough room on the HDD's for it (you need atleast 15% free space).
I rarely check for virii or mallware because the computer is 1) not directly connected to the web, 2) IE doesn't get used on it, and 3) I'm a smart user and don't install weird software and keep everything up-to-date.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 11:00   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Run defrag once a month if space is available, and I try to do a full reinstall of windows every 6 months or so.

Athlon XP 2800+ (Barton), 1536Mb of RAM, 120Gbx3, 200Gbx2 hard drives wise.

It's booting noticably slower than it used to, but aside from that I'm not having any performance issues; it's still running Half Life 2 and Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines quite happily at reasonable detail and 1280x1024.

[edit]

Virus checking whenever I remember.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 27 Jan 2005 at 12:23.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 11:25   #10
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

i never do anything, except for virus scans from time to time
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 11:46   #11
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

p4 1.8, 384 megs of ram and a 20gb HD.

Virus Scan once a week. do adawear scan every 2 days or so... cant remember when i last defragged lol

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 11:47   #12
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

AMD athlon 1000. 150gb and 16gb hard drives. 256mb RAM.
spyware/virus scan done every few days.
Defrag I haven't bothered in a while similarly with scandisk.
I don't install much so don't have problems with space or junk. My small drive is full of crap though.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 12:10   #13
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

athlon xp1800 , 512mb ram , 60 and 80 gig HDs.
P2-450 , 128Mb ram , 10gig HD
p3/celeron/thing, 128mb ram , 20 gig hd

run scans bare minimum of once a week. usually once every 2-3 days on all 3 machines on home network.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 12:50   #14
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

Athlon 1800XP, 1GB RAM, 200GB HDD

Rebuilt slocate database by cron job nightly, SuSE update every week or so for OS updates. That's about it really (on my home machine at least)..
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 13:14   #15
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

Athlon Thunderbird 1.4, 768mb ram, 320GB total hdd space
when in winxp sp2: virus scan every morning 8am (I'm usually either at uni or still in bed at that time), I run firefox, and only use IE for two specific websites that refuse to provide compatability with firefox, so... spyware/malware?? windows update when new patches get announced.
under debian: apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade by cron job weekly
although I'll soon be moving back to Gentoo, where it'll be: emerge --sync && emerge -u world
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 14:36   #16
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

P4 2.6 Ghz, 1GB RAM, 60GB (42GD Used) 40GB (12GB Used) HHD Space.

Defragment and Scan Disk monthly when ever it seems to be running slower than normal. Only virus scan when I suspect I have a virus, I rarely bother with Ad Ware or Spybot these days (<3 Firefox) but when I was using IE I used to do it every 3 days.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 14:38   #17
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
I run firefox, and only use IE for two specific websites that refuse to provide compatability with firefox, so... spyware/malware??
That's a poor argument if I ever saw one, there's plenty more ways to get spyware/malware on your machine other than through IE and without your knowledge.

Also, perhaps we should all take the good docktor's advice and defraggle our HDD.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 14:53   #18
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: How often do you do maintanence on your computer?

Give it a clean occassionally.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 14:57   #19
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

1.4Ghz Athlon
512Mb Memory
2x120Gb SCSI drives, harware mirrored for fault tolerance.
Geforce 3 Ti500
5.6Tb Apple XRaid running over dual fibre channel controllers (because it was sitting at work and no-one seemed to be using it)

Defrag runs nightly on system disk - weekly on RAID, scandisk runs nightly, MS AntiSpyware runs nightly and AVG7 after all that has finished.

Windows update just runs when it has something to update, as it's set to update automatically - I'm running a legal setup with no dodgy software so it's no issue.

Other than that, I fix stuff when it breaks
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 15:02   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddy
Windows update just runs when it has something to update, as it's set to update automatically - I'm running a legal setup with no dodgy software so it's no issue.
I turned off Autoupdate on my laptop, which is a legal setup with no dodgy software. There are other reasons that people find it annoying you know.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 15:03   #21
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

I'm yet to find it annoying, it saves me going to the Windows Update site to check.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 15:06   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I'm yet to find it annoying, it saves me going to the Windows Update site to check.
'Hey!', it says 'Here's SP2 for you to install!'
'No thanks.', I say.
'OK!' it says.
'Hey!', it says a day later, having wasted more of my bandwidth, 'Here's SP2 for you to install!'

I actually lied earlier. I haven't turned Automatic Updates off on my laptop, because it's impossible to turn it off when it's downloading something, and it's always downloading ****ing SP2.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 15:08   #23
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

This reminded me I should do this tbh
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 15:08   #24
skiddy
wild one

4Mb downstream on my broadband pipe solves that problem though.

Poor Marky and his 56k
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 15:14   #25
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
That's a poor argument if I ever saw one, there's plenty more ways to get spyware/malware on your machine other than through IE and without your knowledge.
Granted, to an extent.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 15:18   #26
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:

Poor Marky and his 56k
2Mb, but it's still wasted bandwidth.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 15:20   #27
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Poor Marky and his 56k
56k ?

dial up ?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Poor NOT Mark

~Vaio~

ps
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha etc

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 15:22   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

What?
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 15:25   #29
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
What?
I didn't see your reply to Skiddy before i posted it

I saw it, then edited it

On reflection, I should have deleted it.

Shit happens.

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 16:53   #30
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

I never run defrag, run spybot/adaware every few weeks, run antivirus every few months.

P366, 256mb RAM, 6gb HD - I still run Win98 !!
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 17:02   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

You really should defrag, especially as you'll be using FAT32.

On second thoughts, of course you won't be. FAT32 can only address 4 gigs of data.

You should still defrag though.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 17:06   #32
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Quote:
You really should defrag, especially as you'll be using FAT32.

On second thoughts, of course you won't be. FAT32 can only address 4 gigs of data.

You should still defrag though.
Yeah, I know, but I fix other peoples computers all day every day and when I do get round to using my own, I really cant be arsed fiddling with it - I just switch it on and use it.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 19:26   #33
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

C: properties

Type: Local disk

File system: Fat32

Capacity 25.4 Gb

A touch more than 4Gb no?

Unless you meant read at once.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 19:27   #34
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Wait, I'm confusing Win95 with FAT32. I'm just a whole barrel of madness today.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 19:33   #35
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Yeah win95 had..issues with drives bigger than um....2gb I think but there was a patch/upgrade/virginal sacrifice to alleviate that problem.

I dont think Win 98 ever had it, but I could be wrong.....my memory doesnt extend that well into the mists of time and prehistory.
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 01:09   #36
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Athlon 1 Ghz, 512 meg of SD ram, 40gb hard drive

never

virus which means i cant run dos programmes that i cant be bothered to remove; **** it.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 01:13   #37
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: How often do you do maintanence on your computer?

3Ghz, 512MB RAM, HDD 200GB + 160GB, + 200GB external.
Doing a thourough scandisk every other month.
Defrag only ever 2 or 3 months on the disks I use (lot's of data isn't actually moved that often).
Virus Scan almost never, SpyWare scan once a month.
But I try to keep everything working, safe and up2date.

Also I should do these things more often.
But NTFS is
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 14:19   #38
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

1.2 Ghz AMD Duron, 112mb RAM, 20 GB hard drive. Defrag every two months or so. Virus scan whenever.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 16:14   #39
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

AMD 1800+, 512Mb RAM, 80Gb hard drive.

Defrag virtually never, scandisk virtually never, virus & adware scans when I can be arsed, once every other month or so.
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 16:20   #40
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Not as many top end uber systems being listed as I had expected, though I wonder if Pyrit actually has 112mb of memory of if it was a typo
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 16:27   #41
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

16+32+64 Mb sticks seems a curious way to go.
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 17:41   #42
CrashTester
I am an idiot

Quote:
16+32+64 Mb sticks seems a curious way to go.
Not if the ram was being 'borrowed' from work as it became 'spare'
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 17:50   #43
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold

Home computer maintenance? What are you talking about?

Just throw everything out from the window every four-five years and get the bestest topest of the line box and you'll be good.

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 17:51   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeeThot
Home computer maintenance? What are you talking about?

Just throw everything out from the window every four-five years and get the bestest topest of the line box and you'll be good.
I read that as 'Forty Five'. My confusions were legion.
Unread 29 Jan 2005, 01:35   #45
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_spammer
Not as many top end uber systems being listed as I had expected, though I wonder if Pyrit actually has 112mb of memory of if it was a typo
yes it is true. Dixons saw me coming when I bought it on a credit card three years ago. I have yet to pay it off. Crap I know. Free neither the less......

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2005, 01:46   #46
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

Quite a new 3ghz laptop with 512mb ram and 60gb hard disk. I am yet to defrag it, I should do that.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2005, 02:01   #47
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyirt
yes it is true. Dixons saw me coming when I bought it on a credit card three years ago. I have yet to pay it off. Crap I know. Free neither the less......

um....no offence but what kind of rate of interest are you paying it off at?

I'd be pissed if i was still paying for a Duron after 3 years.
Unread 29 Jan 2005, 03:29   #48
deerbarn
Anal Crumb

deerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to behold

p4 2.4Ghz. !gb ram 60gb hd with a graphics card.

And Reg MEchanic on boot + microsoft adwatch thing and defrag if it crashes
Unread 29 Jan 2005, 06:21   #49
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

HP 2.08 GHz, 512 MB ram, 120 GB hard drive

-firewall log inspection of all outbound and unauthorized inbound activity - everyday
-Spyware Begone ver. 6.95 spyware, adware and data logger virus full scan and clean - every startup
-Nortan anti-virus full scan and clean - every 15 days
-archiving firewall logs - every 3 months before defragging
-defrag - every 3 months

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2005, 12:45   #50
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Athlon 64 3400, 1 GB ram, 420Gb hard drive with another 200 being recovered at the moment.

i never do any kind of defrag or virus scanning. i just use the computer responsibly, and if i think something's ****ed up i deal with it then.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote