User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Jan 2006, 13:49   #151
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: 1UP winners of the free round (round 16) a given fact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran
funny, how you make a fuss about my opinion. Yes I THINK he's the best DC I've worked with or have seen working. Next time I'll say my opinion, I'll ask for a global investigation to be started just so you, jerome, won't be annoyed by it.

The biggest asset of a DC is activity. He can be as good as he can be, if he's not active he's useless. He can be shit but utter active, and he'll be atleast abit useful.
Irvine is good at it (doing it for 9 rounds now?), he's more active then most of you ever will be (as he dc's 18 hours straight if needed).
But who are you to judge him jerome, I doubt you ever talked to him or saw him in action ...

I think every Angel will agree that Irvine is (for Angels) one of the best ones out there. We honnestly don't give a fk whether you think he is or not. In the end, he gets the job done and that speaks for him.
don't get your knickers in a twist kiddo, i haven't said anything about how good he is, i just think it's laughable you ASSUME he's the best whilst not judging the best of other alliances' DC's. oh & i've played with him once or twice and my opinion of him is pretty set, but that's not relevant to this discussion.

what is relevant, however, is your CONSISTENT hypocrisy where you don't realise how ****ing retarded you are being, this must be the 109109191239832929372198024321th thread i've seen you do this. first, you bitched at heartless for having an opinion about angels without him "having a clue" whilst you yourself later, claim a guy to be the undisputed best dc when you yourself lack the same clue
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 14:31   #152
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
Where exactly is the difference?

The only alliance whose round would be ruined is Angels (or NewDawn, or whoever else is blocked against). One of the main problems with blocking, however, is that it's always the same which get blocked against which in return makes the players of that certain alliance wonder whether it's worth it or not to keep on playing a game which is more or less decided pre-round, leading to players leaving the game, leading to alliances disbanding, ultimately leading to a smaller playerbase.
I agree with your points. but the reference to smaller playerbase holds no water as the playerbase has leveled off to about as low as it can go to keep people who love the game playing. But, a block against Agnels in RD 15 would have given the best alliance a break, thus giving them a chance to win. The same allaince dominating the game, is not good for the game. Like say if exilition plays again, and a block is formed to twat them, and they lose, it can't be nothing but good for the game because they have won 100% of the time they played. Thus giving someone else a chance to win.
As long as new competition comes in even the smallest forms, there will always be just enough planets around to keep the game going.
In the same breath, another block next round, setup to fight 1up would be damaging to the game, as naturally a few 1up people will get tired of being ****ted, and will quit.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 14:38   #153
MegaNova
m33p

MegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chika
In the same breath, another block next round, setup to fight 1up would be damaging to the game, as naturally a few 1up people will get tired of being ****ted, and will quit.
I think many ppl keep playing PA becouse of the ppl they know in the game. And thus keep playing.
And if they only play for rankings and keep getting battered they are most likely to go to another alliance then quit.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 15:01   #154
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

activity, time-management, ability to delegate and intelligence

Without all of these, a DC is lost
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 15:03   #155
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The round isn't long enough to be deadly boring.

If it was a full length round, it would be deadly boring.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 15:27   #156
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
The round isn't long enough to be deadly boring.

If it was a full length round, it would be deadly boring.
it is only 1 week shorter than last round ? (8 weeks afaik )

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 15:55   #157
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Alays nice for a DC to be a member at a free sms site also

God knows how many of those i got the middle of the night last round :\
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 15:55   #158
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher
as for DCing, i think part of your problem is actually in there... even tho irvine is an active DC he's hardly one of the best tbh, which is why this made me laugh alot
Quote:
Irvine's not playing r16 ... Irvine is an HC and the best DC in this game.

if you really think that then that's either your angels mentality or you haven't seen real good dc's ever. simple fact is he is active and that's his biggest bonus. also a known fact is tho he overcovers alot and he takes care of his friends quite well which in turn screws over others. (not trying to insult him or something, cuz i think he's a nice guy, but just not one of the best dc's around)
Are we speaking about the same Irvine here? I had never met the guy before this round, yet he "takes care of me" when I have incs, and the few times I was overcovered, other dc's did those calls. If this is the general opinion of him, or a "known fact" as you say - then I must say, Irvine is underrated. He has the overview, and he get the fakes right more often than other dc's I have seen, and his dedication and activity is astounding. How many other dc's dced nightshifts (He's european, mind you) for all nights of the round bar 5? I'm not speaking 02:00-05:00 nightshifts, I'm speaking about 00:00-10:00 nightshifts. I doubt many dc's last round did/covered half the number of calls he did.

Mind you, Kjeldoran stated in specific that Irvine is the best DC in the game, not the best there has been, or the best of the previous round, but the best one of this moment. Give me example's of who's better, and why. I usually take "known facts" with a pinch of salt. I'm not saying Irvine is the best DC of the game, as, unlike others, I don't have the necessary experience here to judge a "dc ranking". I have played these games for quite some time though, and Irvine is the best I have seen. If you're holding the ego-card against him, well, it is also a "known fact" that you, yourself have happened to come online to DC for your friends, and yourself. Or rather, it is rumoured. And for all I know, you hardly sacrificed 50 nights of sleep for your alliance.

Please - do tell me which dc's that are better (Of those currently playing. People who have played, but are not anymore, is really not relevant)

Quote:

Discussing the role of a DC in general, I'd disagree on that point. I'd rather have no DC at all instead of having one which is uberactive and keeps crashing my def fleet / overcovering 3 people leaving the rest of the alliance dry like a desert.
Assuming you're speaking about Irvine here, wich is what seems the most relevant to the current discussion - I defended on his calls something like 50(?) times last round, and he never got my fleet crashed. Ever. Also, as previously mentioned, the few times I was overcovered last round (mind you, this was early round when I was top 5 roidcount, not later when I barely had roids left) other people had done the calls.

Also, Angels never had better coverage when Irvine was not online, than when he was. Those times he was not dc'ing, we lost a lot more roids than when he was. If your comment about "3 people covered, the rest of the alliance dry like a desert" is reffering to cypher's statement about his friends, well, I know for a fact that Irvine and his bp had far worse coverage than for instance me, who was a new and unproven person in Angels. I was taken seriously from the start, people listened to me, and trusted me from the start. Angels was a great alliance to join for me, and I feel that dc's weren't least the bit biased on who to cover, except for maybe one, whose name I will not mention. It was not Irvine however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Skill-wise, the fact that his skill's been disputed probably means there has been better DCs around for skill.
Or that other people hold grudges against him.

Edits: Lots of typoes. Blame the beer.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.

Last edited by qebab; 15 Jan 2006 at 16:12.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 16:42   #159
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

i don't think anyone has much of a grudge against him, if at all. i don't have any personally, he seems like a reasonable thoughe excitable when i've come across him, guy. but jesus christ, don't claim him to be a god, when i can name atleast 10 dc's who're <better/just as good/fantastic/whatever your obedient ego wants to hear>.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 16:46   #160
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
i don't think anyone has much of a grudge against him, if at all. i don't have any personally, he seems like a reasonable thoughe excitable when i've come across him, guy. but jesus christ, don't claim him to be a god, when i can name atleast 10 dc's who're <better/just as good/fantastic/whatever your obedient ego wants to hear>.
I never claimed him to be God. But people like cypher stating that he's protective of his friends, and selfish is just ridicolous.

And please, go ahead, name 10 dc's who're better than him, and currently playing.

Unread 15 Jan 2006, 16:46   #161
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupp
it is only 1 week shorter than last round ? (8 weeks afaik )
in that case i'm going for pretty boring.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 17:17   #162
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I think every Angel will agree that Irvine is (for Angels) one of the best ones out there. We honnestly don't give a fk whether you think he is or not. In the end, he gets the job done and that speaks for him.
tbh, if you say in a post on ad that xxx is the best dc in this game you cannot expect that people dont comment that while in the same time you say "we dont give a **** what you think".

a board is about a opinions, if you state yours then live with the fact that others state their opinions too....
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*
Legator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 17:21   #163
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by qebab
Please - do tell me which dc's that are better (Of those currently playing. People who have played, but are not anymore, is really not relevant)
Sid, jesterina, ... I'd even say Geezer77 is better, considering what he did last round DC'ing for eXilition.

Quote:
Assuming you're speaking about Irvine here[...]
Read again what you quoted.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 17:29   #164
qebab
The Original Carebear

Quote:
The discussion was about Irvine, you stated about the role of dc's in general. However, when the discussion was originally about Irvine, it is easy for others to assume that you meant Irvine is doing these things. I'm glad you now made it clear you didn't.

As for the other dc's...

I haven't seen a single one in action, and the planets I attacked last round were mainly eXilition. However, they had quite a large DC squad, and not a single DC achieving what they did. Giving Geezer77 all the honour, for what among others NitinA did is not quite right. Other than that I best leave it to others.

Edit: And Stoom, of course.

Last edited by qebab; 15 Jan 2006 at 17:34.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 17:33   #165
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sid, jesterina, ... I'd even say Geezer77 is better, considering what he did last round DC'ing for eXilition.

NitinA, pglee also had a great(er) part in eX DC'ing.
Best DC I know is NitinA.
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 17:33   #166
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
As for the other dc's...

I haven't seen a single one in action, and the planets I attacked last round were mainly eXilition.
Last time I MOed was in r13 for 1up. I did some calls in r12 as well.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 17:34   #167
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

i have no grudge at all against irvine. don't see any reason why i should have... talk to kjeldoran tho for basically calling him the best thing that ever walked on pa's community. which is blatantly untrue. ofc you have overview if you handle all calls. it's not that hard.

and yes i know many rumours go around about me, i'm not really fussed. if HC felt the same i'm sure they wouldn't let me MO which saves me time. as for my night activity i don't like MOing on my old laptop which has trouble opening too much stuff .

and indeed... about better dc's? geezer/sid/heartless even if he can be bothered and imo many others. for angels irvine might be right... but for most alliances he wouldn't fit at all.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 17:35   #168
jerome

tisiphone, heartless, jesterina, nitina, siddie, jupp, rob, bwtmc, myself, cyph, pglee & others from non-1up(ex-1up too i suppose) who have escaped my mind atm, but i'll add them in when i remember.

(they don't have to be a "current" dc though right?)
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 17:35   #169
qebab
The Original Carebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Last time I MOed was r13 for 1up. I did some calls in r12 as well.
Would you then consider yourself to be currently playing? As Kjeldorans first statement said, as I already emphasized "is the best dc".

Unread 15 Jan 2006, 17:37   #170
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold

excellent DC's come and go like the wind, they always have. when one gets bored and leaves another stands up to replace the one that left.

most of the best DC's i know, no longer play, but then again, I havent played properly for a long time.

Though personally I cant see why there is a need to be the best. If your doing it to be the best, then you never will be.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 17:40   #171
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Well, most alliances do try to have large DC teams so that there's always someone to do it.

Knowledge of stats makes a good DC. I've shared a havoc galaxy with jesterina and Sid, both seem like very good DCs. That's the most I have to go on with them - but both seemed comfortable with large Zik fleets (no FAs) and that's the hardest thing for a DC to do.

I would like to think that I'm a pretty good DC - but I'm not going to ask fanboys to come on the forum and suck my dick just so that I can delude myself into thinking that I'm better than anyone/everyone else .
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 17:42   #172
jerome

there isn't a best, everything in this game is in "levels" there's a level of fantastic dc's who're more efficient than others, just like there's levels of players who are generally better at clicking around and getting more out of it for their alliance tha others.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 17:59   #173
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

It comes down to how much freetime the person has or how much hes willing to sacrifice. A DC can only be so good, and there are probably loadsa people who can say that they have that level of skill.

So in my opinion it does come down to who is most online and does most to get members online to def, and is willing to sit around the extra hour in order to get a big inc covered.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 18:14   #174
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
The discussion was about Irvine, you stated about the role of dc's in general. However, when the discussion was originally about Irvine, it is easy for others to assume that you meant Irvine is doing these things. I'm glad you now made it clear you didn't.
That is why I added the "Discussing the role of a DC in general" part. To not make it irvine specific. Reading and thinking about the words written would have made it clear enough - not specifically a problem of yours, though. You're usually a pretty decent poster.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 18:18   #175
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
tisiphone, heartless, jesterina, nitina, siddie, jupp, rob, bwtmc, myself, cyph, pglee & others from non-1up(ex-1up too i suppose) who have escaped my mind atm, but i'll add them in when i remember.

(they don't have to be a "current" dc though right?)
jupp ? :/ (j/k)

well, i certainly would add at0mic_c0w and rember
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*

Last edited by Legator; 15 Jan 2006 at 19:10.
Legator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 18:22   #176
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Sid, jester, rob, heartless, tis, cypher, bwtmc, geezer, nitina, ska, treveler, stifler and comedy option storebo (he is really good. honest)
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 18:25   #177
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold

game still plays occasionally afaik, when he can be bothered he is very capable. its not that difficult to find good dc's most of the time. as there are so many about. though not many will continually be a dc round after round. as it is a time consuming task.

(I know I avoid it like the plague, as its just too time consuming)
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 18:50   #178
qebab
The Original Carebear

Quote:
That is why I added the "Discussing the role of a DC in general" part. To not make it irvine specific. Reading and thinking about the words written would have made it clear enough - not specifically a problem of yours, though. You're usually a pretty decent poster.
Not a usual problem of mine, but something a lot of other AD posters can't seem to manage. I needed you to make that statement yourself, in clearer terms, so a certain HC of mine wouldn't go all emotional

Thanks for the compliment, I do try my best.

Seeing the number of people who's considered at the same level, or better than Irvine, I see that I asked the question the wrong way. To take Irvine as an example - the guy is extremely reliable. He played for rounds and rounds as main DC in Angels/FAnG, and main dc there generally means another thing than main dc other places. From what I hear, the only other person to have pulled somewhat the same workload last round, seems to be NitinA. Obviously, these people make a huge difference to their alliance. Consistent, and good dc's aren't that many, and those who are dedicated enough to sacrifice so much time for their alliance, are rare. Now, we weren't speaking skill in itself, we were discussing good dc's. If these dc's you people mentioned did, or have been doing anything near the workload NitininA and Irvine did last round, and still have so much coverage, I guess we can say they are the same level. (Or are capable of doing it, though not in regards to time. No "If he had more time" arguments).

English is only my 3rd language, so I'm having a bit of trouble phrashing myself correctly, but I believe this is closer to what I meant. (Language excuses are valid, I hope)

Unread 15 Jan 2006, 19:08   #179
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Im really trying not to comment too much about this whole DC'ing thing. Because the way I see it, in a very large way it can be a lot easier to DC now than it used to be. I remember times many years ago, where we would get 50-100+ incomming calls per hour for 8-10 hours on a bad day. but those were very different days, with blocks being 1k+ people on each side. and if you take the start of r6, with fltv being outgunned by fos and xeta. it was a masacre, which burnt out many DC's. Anyone from fltv who DC'd at the time will know what i mean.

whereas now, if you get 250 calls on a single night you've had a busy day. You have less to work with yes, but it still means there is a lot less to do.

I still think that under the right circumstances most people are capable, it really isnt that difficult, and most people who have the time to play this game, can make time to DC if they felt they had to.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 19:10   #180
jerome

surely it's about the skill itself & delegation of workload, it shouldn't be a "plus" to be a moron who does all the work and burns himself out. that's just ludicrous, but that may often be because of an alliance's lack of other decent dc's and such. (especially activity wise)
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 19:12   #181
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

although the stats back in the earlier rounds were more favourable to covering calls (multiple targetting etc) its swings and roundabouts.

More incoming, but more players to cover it, more people took the game seriously back then etc etc.

DC/MOing is still a job that isnt enjoyable and rewarding but those that do it and do it well, should be held with high regard in any alliance.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 19:16   #182
Morden
The Face Of Evil

indeed, tho, as a whole most alliances are more active than earlier rounds where it was only the best that were really really active.

which means that as a whole, it is easier for alliances as a whole to find people to cover calls. rather than just the upper echelon alliances
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 20:04   #183
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

best DC ive ever worked with is Ziw (yes he still plays) he works ungodly hours as a DC and earns my respect everytime

Cowmando, Hebla, Murador were also good dedicated DC's who put in more than their fair share of hours

even Jonas can DC when he puts his mind to it, ive done many 9/10 hour DC shifts with him after returning from a friday night out. See, hes not a total lost cause :P

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....

Last edited by Mek; 15 Jan 2006 at 20:10.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 22:23   #184
xtothez
ÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morden
Im really trying not to comment too much about this whole DC'ing thing....
There is a key difference these days of strategy. Back in rounds 1-5 many def calls were a case of 'how many spiders and interceptors do I need for this?'. There wasn't effective scan distorters forcing DCs to guess at fleet composition, multiple pod classes, or even the possibility of stolen foriegn pod types by ziks. Galaxy and cluster roles have changed, forcing players to rely more and more heavily on alliances than local fleets. And last but certainly not least, let's not forget huge difference between defending for 6 ticks in classic PA compared to defending for 1 tick since PAX. That change alone shifted the game balance to require efficient use of def fleets and easier attacks.

Quote:
I still think that under the right circumstances most people are capable, it really isnt that difficult, and most people who have the time to play this game, can make time to DC if they felt they had to.
Any alliance containing competant players will have no shortage of DCs. The real key is motivating members to actually do it, rather than just sitting by and letting others arrange defense for them.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 22:52   #185
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

This is a silly discussion really. Who is the best DC is abit difficult to prove or know, as you mostly have only expirience with your own DC's from the alliance you tend to stay with. It would be difficult to know of any other DC's when you havent seen them in work.. For all I know the best DC could be in F-crew but he would still have an difficult job if the members werent offering ships.
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 23:57   #186
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
ah yes, one attack repelled !!!!
sorted.
it was more the sheer size of the attack and over multiple waves which they somehow managed to repel which impressed me ( and annoyed ) somewhat
musta drained every last ship they had to do it
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 11:48   #187
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Discussing the role of a DC in general, I'd disagree on that point. I'd rather have no DC at all instead of having one which is uberactive and keeps crashing my def fleet / overcovering 3 people leaving the rest of the alliance dry like a desert.
But you KNOW aswell that Irvine isn't crap. I mean, you simply cannot deny the fact that he's a good DC, that he's probably one if not the most active one. Like all DC's, they sometimes screw up and get a def fleet killed. But I don't know a DC who hasn't done that yet.

All in all, I believe he's one of the best DC's in this game. This because he's active, you can rely on him 24/7 round after round and that alone motives other DC's to do a good job aswell.

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 12:04   #188
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
excellent DC's come and go like the wind, they always have. when one gets bored and leaves another stands up to replace the one that left.

most of the best DC's i know, no longer play, but then again, I havent played properly for a long time.

Though personally I cant see why there is a need to be the best. If your doing it to be the best, then you never will be.
Most yes .. Irvine has been here consistently for 9 rounds non stop.

To everyone else claiming I think Irvine is some kinda god ... stop being or acting so stupid. What's wrong in believing he's the best? I've played every round in PA so far and of all those rounds, I've never met a DC which did a better job.

On what should I base my opinion? On things I've experienced myself. Jester nor Sid I've played with or have seen them DC so I cannot judge on that. So unless they prove me wrong I "assume" Irvine is better. Just like you'll assume differently. Yet you don't see me call you a retard for claiming Sid is better ...

About Heartless, I've seen him DC and he's very good. I find Irvine better and more consistent nonetheless.

I'm not making a big fuss out of this. I stated my opinion, feel free to disagree but stop being childish with all those insults/flames etc. Funny how the same pple seem to use it, over and over again.

FA Gaming community

Unread 16 Jan 2006, 12:07   #189
pig
1up on you

Firstly <3 Kjeldoran
Secondly I dont think anyone is disputing the fact that irvine is an awesome DC, however like you and others in angels (almost called you fang there ) so adamently say that he is the balls, other people (myself included) will claim otherwise.

Its a stupid discussion and goes x word vs x word. At the end of the day irvine is good, we all know that, theres also others who in some eyes are better or just as good.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 12:16   #190
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtothez
Any alliance containing competant players will have no shortage of DCs. The real key is motivating members to actually do it, rather than just sitting by and letting others arrange defense for them.
Quite true infact. I'm sure every top alliance can easily name 10 pple who can deliver a good coverage as a DC. But only a few will idd take the initiative and the longer the round lasts and the more incs you've experienced, the number of pple that will take the initiative will be even lower.

Hence why I value Irvine so high, cause we (Angels) can rely on him, even in the worst times when activity reaches a new low record. And the fact that pple can rely on him can be motivating. Motivation is an important element in activity.

Nonetheless, Irvine has quit PA so we'll see how that goes. And I agree it's not good for an alliance to become too dependant on 1 player, in whatever area. So we'll see how it goes.

FA Gaming community

Unread 16 Jan 2006, 12:17   #191
lizardking
tappajahai!

lizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
This is a silly discussion really. Who is the best DC is abit difficult to prove or know, as you mostly have only expirience with your own DC's from the alliance you tend to stay with. It would be difficult to know of any other DC's when you havent seen them in work.. For all I know the best DC could be in F-crew but he would still have an difficult job if the members werent offering ships.
Well said.

Close to impossible to rank DCs against 1 another. Saying sum1 is the best, would be sumhow inaccurate since u can pretty much only monitor the defence coordinated within ur own borders. Personally I've to give credit to the ones that can do this task, which I find rather exhausting, round after round. I did a lot of dc'ing / bc'ing myself in the earlier rounds, not b'coz I enjoyed it, but b'coz there wasn't any1 I thought could do it better. To credit Irvine tho I think he has done marvellous work now and in the past. Back then I remember getting calls from him at nights due having Fangers in my glx that he couldn't cover from the alliance.

In eXilition r13 f.ex could be said Spacez held 2nd most important role keeping the alliance together (right after Kaifux ofc), having him spend his nights making sure we didn't get twatted by mass incs. R15 nitina took the role as the main DC and I seriously doubt if there is any1 who handled more calls than he did. Those 2 r the best DCs I saw in action these last 2 rounds I've been into game.

Back to topic.

Well I think and certainly hope it's going to be tight competition. I doubt 1up will have as "easy" run this time. Looking at the previous PaX rounds I think 2 crusial factors to keep 1up from racing out with the trophy r 1) The competition being able to keep their ranks in order, meaning there will not be too many collapsing/disbanding alliances. 2) Alliances setting 0 tolerance against planet napping while keeping a close eye on it.
Stopping 1up will certainly take efforts of multible alliances, since none can atm fight them 1 on 1 and viceversa 1up isn't able to win alone on several fronts at once. By no doubts there's more or less blocking and counter blocking ahead.

Should be fun watching from the sidelines how the round developes.

<[eX]MacTAnzu> u playing in the.. what was it.. game.planetarion.com ? or in pirate.planetarion.com ?

Šragons

eX undercover Nihilum HC (thx to bwtmc)
lizardking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 12:30   #192
Chika

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

For those people saying Sid, you obviously have never seen him in action. On a slow night, sid is ace, because he thinks into things and has great ideas to cover different incomings, even in waves. This is his fault when there is multiple incomings because he is to slow...
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 12:41   #193
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
For those people saying Sid, you obviously have never seen him in action. On a slow night, sid is ace, because he thinks into things and has great ideas to cover different incomings, even in waves. This is his fault when there is multiple incomings because he is to slow...
Like that night in round 12 when he covered every single incoming* single-handedly? I'm sorry, but I think his attention to detail is a strength, not a weakness.

As for the people mentioning my name, the above point holds**, plus I don't really play anymore.

* Multiple alliances (mainly LCH) launching multiple waves on 1up.

** Goodness, those nights in r13 when EX/et al hit us full on I cringed just looking at the tool, let alone thinking about trying to cover it.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 12:47   #194
Chika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Like that night in round 12 when he covered every single incoming* single-handedly? I'm sorry, but I think his attention to detail is a strength, not a weakness.

As for the people mentioning my name, the above point holds**, plus I don't really play anymore.

* Multiple alliances (mainly LCH) launching multiple waves on 1up.

** Goodness, those nights in r13 when EX/et al hit us full on I cringed just looking at the tool, let alone thinking about trying to cover it.
I dc'd alot in RD 12. My last round really dc'ing. I can't recall this night you speak of. And guess what, that doesn't make me a bad guy. I'm still ace.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 13:00   #195
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
I dc'd alot in RD 12. My last round really dc'ing. I can't recall this night you speak of. And guess what, that doesn't make me a bad guy. I'm still ace.
Hehe, keep reating it !!!

No seriously, on pure player skills you're very good (one of the better, like Cypher) and I'm sure you're capable of DC'ing ... yet I don't think you'd have the activity or commitment to do it an entire round.

FA Gaming community

Unread 16 Jan 2006, 14:34   #196
Chika

Quote:
Hehe, keep reating it !!!

No seriously, on pure player skills you're very good (one of the better, like Cypher) and I'm sure you're capable of DC'ing ... yet I don't think you'd have the activity or commitment to do it an entire round.
After dc'ing in 1up I care **** all about Dc'ing. Its a waste of "life" tbh.
And I am with you, Irvine is ****ing ace. There are very few people I feel relaxed enough to let handle my incoming. Irvine is first on that list. Sid. Rob when he doesn't have incoming of his own. Pre- Rd 13, I would let cypher handle my incoming, but only if him or his gal were NOT under attack.
Overall, irvine is known to over cover. But frankly if I was an HC, and I had top pick for 1 DC to DC my alliance all round, I would pick irvine. Many would.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 15:12   #197
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Something I'd also like to add to this DC discussion and more precisely about Irvine ...

I read some pple claim he favours his friends during defence calls. Let me call that utter crap. Like any other top alliance, we use a defence bot. A defence bot doesn't display the nickname (atleast our bot doesn't) of the one needing defence, only his own coords.

A DC doesn't check who the defence is for. He checks the ETA, the defpoints of that planet and other guidelines like "first reported, first served (incase of equal defpoints and eta)" ...

Ofcourse this does not stop a DC to check the coords for the planet and rulername. most DC's have no access to the arbiter and have limited view on memberlist but if they do enough efforts they'll find out what the nickname is. So I'm not saying it'd be impossible.

Maybe in the past, when we didn't use a defbot yet, maybe then he was more eager to cover his m8's then other pple (but I'm sure others have done that aswell). But to claim he still does it is quite rubbish. Also apart from a few Angels, I've not heared many complaints about DC'ing and certainly not when Irvine was handling it.

FA Gaming community

Unread 16 Jan 2006, 15:21   #198
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I read some pple claim he favours his friends during defence calls. Let me call that utter crap. Like any other top alliance, we use a defence bot. A defence bot doesn't display the nickname (atleast our bot doesn't) of the one needing defence, only his own coords.

A DC doesn't check who the defence is for. He checks the ETA, the defpoints of that planet and other guidelines like "first reported, first served (incase of equal defpoints and eta)" ...

Ofcourse this does not stop a DC to check the coords for the planet and rulername. most DC's have no access to the arbiter and have limited view on memberlist but if they do enough efforts they'll find out what the nickname is. So I'm not saying it'd be impossible.
That's a bit silly. Surely his mates just pm him "hay dude my planet is xx:yy:zz please cover me kthxbye". Or if they're not online maybe he just has their co-ords in a little file on his desktop. I'm not saying this is true, I'm just saying it's rather more within the realm of possibility than you are making out.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 15:22   #199
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Something I'd also like to add to this DC discussion and more precisely about Irvine ...

Maybe in the past, when we didn't use a defbot yet, maybe then he was more eager to cover his m8's then other pple (but I'm sure others have done that aswell). But to claim he still does it is quite rubbish. Also apart from a few Angels, I've not heared many complaints about DC'ing and certainly not when Irvine was handling it.
I'm not saying Irvine favours his friends, but thinking that your defbot solves the issue is quite naive. All it takes is a pm from the friend or that the DC knows his coords when offline etc. In other words, favouring friends is plain simple. (btw Irvine didn't have arby access?)
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 15:23   #200
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

surely in your tools, defpoints, name, planet size/score, etc are all on the same page?
all he needs to do is glance at the required field to see who it is for :P