User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Jan 2006, 02:41   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Mineral water & Honey Mustard

Considering lots of these minerals are found in fruit & vegetables (eg: potassium, calcium, potassiu & phosphorous in strawberries) is the value of mineral water worth it? The taste of Evian and Vitel is refreshing and nice though - just the price of it. The same goes with Tropicana - it's very rich and lovely and at the same time, very dear. Are there any alternatives? (is there anything wrong with drinks from concentrate? - Robinson's do one with hardly any sugar, any sodium and fat etc.)

On a related note, I know salt is sodium chloride but why does practically all packaging only state sodium? Although I have now seen on some packaging eg: Sodium: 1g (next line) Salt as equivalent: 2.3g.

Do smoothies remove any important aspects of fruit like placing vegetables in water and boiling does? I know they're hardly comparable but I am taking a banana, a few strawberries, an orange and adding milk to it (orange helps to prevent milk frothing I have found) then mixing it in my smoothie maker and drinking it since I cannot bare to eat a banana or strawberries without putting lots of sugar on it. Does adding a liquid hinder any of the qualities of said and other fruits?

As for the Honey Mustard aspect, when I went to Florida in 2004, it was everywhere. I am glad to say I've finally found out that French's already sell it here too... needless to say, I've been searching for a long time and was unable to find it until I discovered it in makro. Just for anyone that cares that piece of info

Thanks guys.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 03:05   #2
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of
Re: Mineral water & Honey Mustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
Considering lots of these minerals are found in fruit & vegetables (eg: potassium, calcium, potassiu & phosphorous in strawberries) is the value of mineral water worth it? The taste of Evian and Vitel is refreshing and nice though - just the price of it.
Imho mineral waters are a waste of money, but I suppose it depends on how good your tap water is. The tap water here is good, tastes nice and is cold straight from the tap. As you said, you probably get the minerals from elsewhere, and there's a decent number of minerals in it anyway.

There's even a BBC News link for this (remembered reading about it a few months ago
Company taps into bottled water

Also mineral water is hundreds (if not thousands) of times more expensive than tap water (source: Northumbrian Water

Last edited by A2; 9 Jan 2006 at 03:13.
A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 09:21   #3
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Tap water here is nice, but even in Cambridge, where the tap water tasted as if it had been extracted directly from the Cam, I just used a water filter and it was fine. There's no way I'm paying extortionate amounts of money for water in a bottle.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 10:10   #4
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

The tap water where I live in Hertfordshire is nice but here in Sheffield it's disgusting. A good idea is to buy one of those water filters then put it in the fridge. That way the tap water tastes "cleaner" and nice and cold.
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 12:14   #5
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

Well, i think it depends where you grew up, growing up here in middlesbrough i think the tap water is nice, although i only drink water that comes from a filter through our fridge now anyway, but when i goto london i cannot stand the taste of the water, and i find it is much harder when swallowing. On a similar note my cousins from london find there water nice, but the water in middlesbrough horrible, so meh. Anyway Filtered water is the way to go
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 13:49   #6
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

i add a slosh of robinsons no added sugar apple and blackcurrent to my water and it is yummy.
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 13:55   #7
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Tap water is disgusting.

Tesco's own brand of mineral water costs about 40p for 2 litres, so its hardly expensive.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 14:32   #8
Androme
☆ ♥ 

I agree about those salad bags horn. They also only use like 1/4 of lettuce (example) and charge x3 the amount - a heavy premium when it's cheaper to just buy lettuce itself and self-prepare.
----------retired-------
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 14:41   #9
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

My sister insists on drinking Evian because tap water apparently tastes disgusting. But if she asks me to get her water, i get her tap water and she doesn't the difference.

:/
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 15:12   #10
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

Tap water where I live tastes bad, however Brita filters work a treat.
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 15:41   #11
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

When at home i live in hertfordshire and i find the tap water here fine. However when i go down to Bristol for uni there is a noticeable taste difference, its harder to swallow and generally pretty rank imo. We did invest in our very own brita filter though now which not only reduces limescale in the kettle (!!!!111) but makes it taste a heck of a lot better as long as its cold. I find the brita filter water when not chilled isnt very nice!

In regards to the tesco mineral water for 40p i wonder how much of the vitamins that such other mineral waters as Evian contain are actually found in the tesco variety. This could be an incredibly naiive view, but i just see things labelled with the tesco's brand and think there not as good.

And with the salad bags from tescos, there washed in chlorine? Yuck. I might be investing in some real vegetables in the future... now all i need to do is find out what the nice red stuff in the tesco's salad bags name is
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 16:12   #12
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReligFree
now all i need to do is find out what the nice red stuff in the tesco's salad bags name is
It's red cabbage if I'm not mistaken... they sell it basically everywhere
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 17:41   #13
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

I quite like tap water, both in uni and back home. Though I'm not a fan of it being too cold and in Aberdare it seems to come freezing straight from the taps

Generally I won't buy water as I will fill an empty bottle and take it with me though if I forget/run out I will often buy Brecon Carreg as it is only 40p per bottle (union does 2 for 40p) so is half the price of coke and other soft drinks.
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 19:16   #14
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
to someone who doesn't know that salt is sodium,
It isnt, table salt is sodium chloride.
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 19:19   #15
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReligFree
In regards to the tesco mineral water for 40p i wonder how much of the vitamins that such other mineral waters as Evian contain are actually found in the tesco variety. This could be an incredibly naiive view, but i just see things labelled with the tesco's brand and think there not as good.
I think the mineral content is the same, but does it really matter? I'm surprised if you primarilly drink mineral water for the minerals. You'd be cheaper just taking a multivitamin.
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 19:30   #16
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I think the mineral content is the same, but does it really matter? I'm surprised if you primarilly drink mineral water for the minerals. You'd be cheaper just taking a multivitamin.
No but if i do end up going to a shop, to buy a bottle of water for football or something, then i tend to go for a more expensive one presuming it would be better for you. But im not a big mineral water drinker so prices dont really matter to me as 40p makes no real difference in the greater scheme of things
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 11:47   #17
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I think the mineral content is the same, but does it really matter?
Evian has a higher content of minerals in terms of mg/l hence the steeper price. A tiny fraction of it covers the importing cost. For example, there is 91mg of Calcium in Evian/Vitel (iirc.) and only 28mg for example in Caledonian in Water.
----------retired-------
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 20:23   #18
Emperor Rozenski
Generic funny comment.

Emperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to all

I drank the tap water when I was at Uni in Bath, it was fine there, but here in Basingstoke it is nasty, which is the sole reason I drink bottled water at home. It's not that expensive either, a 6 pack of 1.5L Highland Spring Still Water sets you back £2.99, or ~33p a Litre / ~50p a bottle.

midge5, filling up empty water bottles again with tap water is a very bad idea. 1) Used water bottles easily become contaminated with bacteria. 2) They're not designed to be reused, after a number of uses you'll start to get traces of the chemicals that make up the structure of the bottle seeping into your water. You should really get a proper multiple-use designed bottle, or buy a new bottle of water each time.

Kick the Baby! - did we rock your world?
Emperor Rozenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 02:55   #19
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Rozenski
midge5, filling up empty water bottles again with tap water is a very bad idea. 1) Used water bottles easily become contaminated with bacteria. 2) They're not designed to be reused, after a number of uses you'll start to get traces of the chemicals that make up the structure of the bottle seeping into your water. You should really get a proper multiple-use designed bottle, or buy a new bottle of water each time.
I've heard that before but it isn't really something that worries me greatly. They probably get changed about once a month which is good enough for me.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 11:31   #20
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Rozenski
2) They're not designed to be reused, after a number of uses you'll start to get traces of the chemicals that make up the structure of the bottle seeping into your water. You should really get a proper multiple-use designed bottle, or buy a new bottle of water each time.
Urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/petbottles.asp