User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Jul 2005, 03:23   #1
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Financial Advice

As usual when trying to research something GD is my first serious stop.

I'm kinda hoping some of you guys know enough to help me.

Anyways ...

I think it's time for me to become a grown up person.

I only need to spend about 1/2 my salary but it seems that i piss most of it away without realising it.

This is because all the money i have goes into my current account and sits there until it's spent.

As such i was thinking of re-evaluating my financial situation.

My plans are as follows:

1.) CHANGE MY BANK

I'm pretty sure that the interest rate i'm getting on my current account is not the best. I vaguely recall some account advertised someplace that offered some massive % rate (on £250/month for a max of 12 months) as long as you paid in a min of £1k/year. Does anyone else know what im talking about? If you don't know about that account please suggest the best current account deals out there.

2.) SAVINGS ACCOUNT

I need a general standard run of the mill savings account. Obviously the higher the % rate the better. Please suggest away.

3.) ISA's

I wanna save tax free as much as possible. Please advise on any positive experiences you have with ISA's or their equivalent.

4.) GENERAL SAVING

I'm sure i've missed out some nifty way of saving. If you know of any way please suggest away.

General links to finacial type stuff will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Unread 22 Jul 2005, 03:30   #2
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Financial Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
1.) CHANGE MY BANK

I'm pretty sure that the interest rate i'm getting on my current account is not the best. I vaguely recall some account advertised someplace that offered some massive % rate (on £250/month for a max of 12 months) as long as you paid in a min of £1k/year. Does anyone else know what im talking about? If you don't know about that account please suggest the best current account deals out there.
I think you may be on about one of the Halifax accounts
Quote:
2.) SAVINGS ACCOUNT

I need a general standard run of the mill savings account. Obviously the higher the % rate the better. Please suggest away.
I don't know any of the details, but the ING Direct (i think that's what it's called) gives you 5%
As for any other savings tips, all i do is have a Standing Order going from my current account into my savings every month. You don't even have to think about putting money away each month, since it's all done for you and you can just forget about it
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2005, 09:58   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've an internet-only savings account running at about 5% that I pipe £x a month to with a standing order. Means that it's not immediately available when I go the cash point (stopping me from spending the damned stuff as easily), though if I actually 'do' need the money then I can transfer between it and my current account is instant since they're both at the same bank.
Unread 22 Jul 2005, 10:25   #4
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Currently, Internet Savings accounts are offering quite good interest rates, and the alliance and leicester are offering some cracking rates.

Your first choice has to be a company pension scheme. Alas, youre in the public sector, so i dunno if they even exist. Next up, purchasing in a sharesave and share options scheme. Again though, public sector, no options.

A cunning plan would be to find a family member who IS in private sector employment, persuade them to up their contributions to said scheme, and then pay them that amount per month to keep them on the level. Then split the profits when they cash in say 5-10 years from now.

Make sure youve got it in writing though, else you could get stung. Even family get greedy.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2005, 10:54   #5
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

I recently set up an Internet only Savings account at 5.4% (which is the highest in the market at the moment)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ox/4667667.stm
http://www.icicibank.co.uk/personal-...s-account.html

If the fear of setting up an account with a foreign bank scares you - know that they are a successful bank that aren't going anywhere. You'll enjoy the extra interest http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4181489.stm

Otherwise ING 5% comes highly accredited

As for ISA - Building societies tend to offer the best rates. Depending on how much you save and what your future plans and current cash flow are look at both Mini-Cash and Maxi ISA's.

An alternative way of saving is to invest into the stockmarket. You can do these through ISA's. The banks will also offer stock, funds, Investment options and bonds. You have a wide choice. Although the pay on your investment can often be higher that interest from savings, there is a risk to take as well. If you are able to accept the risk, these will tend to have the greatest payoff.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2005, 11:10   #6
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
4.) GENERAL SAVING

I'm sure i've missed out some nifty way of saving.
Only buy the things you need. Example: I bought an mp3-player 2 years ago and I've only used it probably less than 10 hours. That was $200 out of the window for me. Don't buy things just "to have it", dunno if you do that though.
Unread 22 Jul 2005, 11:17   #7
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

www.fool.co.uk is a good place for advice on loads of different things dace

also, are you on a final salary pension yet?

if not get into the scheme before the govt. try and close it down, as they tried just before the election and im sure that they are going to try again
Unread 22 Jul 2005, 11:46   #8
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

i work in the public sector.

my pension is better than all of yours.

fact

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2005, 11:57   #9
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the Fool is a fantastic place for investment advice, they are top lads there
Unread 22 Jul 2005, 13:17   #10
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAdnRisKy
i work in the public sector.

my pension is better than all of yours.

fact
Not mine
Unread 22 Jul 2005, 14:47   #11
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I use the following construction

1 spending account which i have a CC from

1 general buffer account where all my 'income' is deposited, this has two automatic transfers a month 1) my rent 2) a standard ammount which goes to my spending account .. rest is saved automatically

1) savings account for 'the bigger things' which i occasionally drop money on when the buffer account has lots on it
Unread 22 Jul 2005, 15:50   #12
QazokRouge5
Back from timeout.

QazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I think it's time for me to become a grown up person.
Anyone else read that and chuckle*?

*chucklechucklechucklechuckle
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahwe
Gay ducks only do it because it impresses their peers.
QazokRouge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2005, 16:16   #13
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Quote:
1.) CHANGE MY BANK

HSBC has a savings account (regular saver) that pays 8% interest after a year as long as you put in between £25 and £250/month my standing order from your current account and don't withdraw anything. You can adjust the amount each month if you like, or leave it. After a year they pay you the interest in one lump sum and convert the account to one of their High Interest accounts, but without the 60 day notice period.