User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 May 2005, 10:15   #1
alch
Retired

alch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud of
Slow Pa

The universe is being updated, please try again in a few minutes.

Isnt it annoying to see this even after 15min thru the tick, combined with the downtime at xx:30, i wonder how much of a tick we got left to play.
Is it going to get corrected? i mean i am sure jolt can find a solution, maybe upgrade the server planetarion is running on.
Unread 23 May 2005, 10:28   #2
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Slow Pa

i think the time it takes to update the universe increases as the round progresses due to the ticker having to calculate more stuff, and bigger dumps? cant say im sure though something like that
Unread 23 May 2005, 10:55   #3
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Also, I have a huge problem when I report incomings. The Vision bot keeps wondering why I report strange ETAs, but it's because
-- first the incomings appear, I'm reporting them at about :02-:04, at this time, though, they haven't ticked yet, so they show one ETA too high
-- Vision boys scan, and wonder how it is possible with the attacker's ETA research, and ask me to double check. At this point, it's :07-00:10. I double check, and it's still impossible ETA. I triple check, and it has ticked.

Frankly, rather annoying.

Also, it seems it's not ticking at 00 sharp, but at around 00:45-00:01, or even plenty later.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.

Last edited by Tietäjä; 23 May 2005 at 11:03. Reason: added another grief
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2005, 11:12   #4
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

It should start ticking the universe (with uid 1) at xx:00:00 server time sharp. Most ticks are over and done with in 5 mins, hence why its long been suggested that anything relying on the dumps shouldn't grab them until xx:15 as it allows time for them to overrun a little depending on what is happening that tick. Once in a while though it does get stuck and take significantly longer. eg. one last round completed around xx:35.

The universe is being updated message is a necessary part of the process, as otherwise there are loopholes that can be abused.
Unread 23 May 2005, 11:22   #5
Desse
Pr0nstar

Desse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud of

This same thing happened over several ticks yesterday. Please get it sorted. People can´t stay online to send defence for a whole hour, just because your ticker is acting up.

Ascendancy - While you were trying, we were sleeping

(@Karmulian) i deffo got roided looking at my planets
Desse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2005, 12:17   #6
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

backups are only every other tick (i think on the even hours)

we are investigating the ticker problems, and several optimisations have been made in the round 14 code, though we don't want to bring in actual new code changes into the round 13 code, so have instead been looking at optimising mysql

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2005, 16:34   #7
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
Also, I have a huge problem when I report incomings. The Vision bot keeps wondering why I report strange ETAs, but it's because
-- first the incomings appear, I'm reporting them at about :02-:04, at this time, though, they haven't ticked yet, so they show one ETA too high
-- Vision boys scan, and wonder how it is possible with the attacker's ETA research, and ask me to double check. At this point, it's :07-00:10. I double check, and it's still impossible ETA. I triple check, and it has ticked.

Frankly, rather annoying.

Also, it seems it's not ticking at 00 sharp, but at around 00:45-00:01, or even plenty later.
The eta thing is getting really annoying actually. No incoming should show until both the planets have ticked so that such a situation cant happen
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2005, 18:46   #8
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
The eta thing is getting really annoying actually. No incoming should show until both the planets have ticked so that such a situation cant happen
obviously there is the reporting incomings thing and agro for the DC's, but by the sounds of it as well some planets are getting warning of incomings before other planets are, and possibly a galaxy has knowlege of incomings on it before all incs are launched, by seeing incs on one planet and JPG scanning themselves (dunno whether coords has anything to do with ticker or not).

this strikes me as very unfair, not just irritating. maybe incomings should not show up until the entire tick is finished. but with the current speed of ticks this would leave allies with a lot less time to cover incomings.

dunno if this makes any sense, i could be way off mark here cos i admittedly know little about the way pa works.
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2005, 23:40   #9
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

I've experience that a tick happened 5 minutes later then a galm8. Seems like it's pretty random how the ticks goes, and i don't think any planets gets much gain on it. Usually the ticks happens between 0-5 minutes, but sometimes it takes almost 10 minutes before it ticks.

Yesterday it really sucked, with upto 40 minutes ticks and i were a bit suprised that it didn't cause a rollback. Pretty sure someone lost something on those slow ticks.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote