User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Administration > Planetarion Help Desk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 25 Mar 2005, 04:47   #1
Shadow Lord
nOOb, but having fun

Shadow Lord is an unknown quantity at this point
Question IRC problems

I started playing last round and have not been able to get IRC to work. I willl admit that I wasn't too keen about it at firt, but wanted to try it near the end of the round. No Joy

Whenever I try to connect, I get a "failed to connect : nul".

Any help or suggestions are more than welcome.
Shadow Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 05:21   #2
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: IRC problems

What client do you use?
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 14:57   #3
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Your not on AOL are you with parental controles not set to Master are you? IRC only works if you have Master access.

(I know this cos i fixed my mates IRC connection problems this way)

Also cheak that any firewalls you have (router ror PC ones) are not blocking an IRC server connection.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.

Last edited by Marv; 25 Mar 2005 at 16:07.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 16:41   #4
Shadow Lord
nOOb, but having fun

I am using Firefox for my browser and an add-on for the IRC client.

I checked the firewall and do not see an IRC server connection entry at all. The Browser has free access.

I do not like AOL, and I am the parent, with no controls in place on this computer.
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 17:12   #5
Conall
There is a better answer

Conall will become famous soon enoughConall will become famous soon enough

If you can I would switch to mIRC. It is not nearly as laggy as the add-on.

That said your firewall software may be blockig the available ports. 6667 is the standard ports but you can also use 6664 thru 6668, 80, 8080 and a few more (I didnt look it up, but I am farily sure those are allavailable). 8080 seemed to work best for me when I have to use this tpye client at work.

I cannot remember the exact command as I scripted it, but it will be something like
/connect irc.netgamers.org:8080
Check the help files on your client for exact command.

If you are behind a firewall that blocks 6667 you must tell the client what port to connect too, in this case 8080, by followingthe connect command with " : " fo\llowed by the port number.

Alternatively you can dig into your firewall and open the needed ports, but I wouldn't do that unless you had some knowledge of firewalls and how they work or some with that knowledge to help you. It is not very difficult, but you could open a can of worms if you don't konw what you are doing.

Hope that helps.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Sir Winston Churchill
Conall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2005, 03:40   #6
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Lord
I am using Firefox for my browser and an add-on for the IRC client.

I checked the firewall and do not see an IRC server connection entry at all. The Browser has free access.

I do not like AOL, and I am the parent, with no controls in place on this computer.
Aha, so you're using the java com unit.

I get

Quote:
[03:39] Connecting...
[03:39] Unable to connect : null
When I try to connect, because my firewall blocks the connection. I'm going to second Conall's suggestion that you get mIRC.
Unread 26 Mar 2005, 03:47   #7
Shadow Lord
nOOb, but having fun

Yup that is what I got every time I used the com unit.

I finally figured out how to get on IRC through the add-on, and am in #planetarion as I type. If this doesn't work out too well, I just might get mIRC.

Thanks alot guys.

Hope this might help others

Later
Unread 27 Mar 2005, 14:38   #8
Shadow Lord
nOOb, but having fun

spoke too soon

I just tryed to open IRC @ irc://andromeda.fl.us.netgamers.org/planetarion

and got this:

=== *** Looking up your hostname
=== *** Found your hostname, cached
=== *** Checking Ident
=== *** No ident response
=== Welcome to the NetGamers IRC Network, Shadow_Lord
=== Your host is Andromeda.FL.Us.Netgamers.org, running version u2.10.11.06n1

#planetarion gives me:

[INFO] This channel requires that you have registered and identified yourself with the network's nickname registration services (e.g. NickServ). Please see the documentation of this network's nickname registration services that should be found in the MOTD (/motd to display it).

I logged onto netgamers just now and had no prob. Do servers go down? or is it a problem on my end?
Unread 27 Mar 2005, 15:01   #9
Banned
Banned

You need to register a nickname at www.netgamers.org then login with P (done by doing /msg [email protected] auth <yournicknamewithoutthebrackets> <yourpasswordwithoutthebrackets>).
Unread 27 Mar 2005, 15:15   #10
Shadow Lord
nOOb, but having fun

does that mean vie email?

Please forgive a noob
Unread 27 Mar 2005, 15:26   #11
Banned
Banned

It means in your IRC client you need to send a private message to P, which is a bot that provides a good deal of useful services. Normally you send private messages by doing '/msg nickname something interesting'. But for security reasons you need to add the @cservice.netgamers.org when messaging your password to P.
Unread 27 Mar 2005, 15:44   #12
Shadow Lord
nOOb, but having fun

OK. did that , and guess what.......IT WORKED. (after a few mistakes)

Thanks again
Unread 6 Apr 2005, 00:03   #13
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

+r (requiring that you be registered with P) is only set on #planetarion when there is a known threat of a botnet (a network of annoying spamming bots) being on the network. In these circumstances it allows legitimate users to join the channel, but keeps out bots.

The command to login to P is "/msg [email protected] login pnick ppassword"
Register at http://www.netgamers.org