User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 22:58   #1
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
[Approved] Shorter rounds

I know this has been suggested before, but now we see the finish date set aparanlty this has not been accepted. Why not make shorter rounds (and preferably make it a tiny bit cheaper to buy an account). I'm already tired of this round. And then this round is a round which as far as I know has not been stagnated yet. 1500 ticks is more then enough.

With shorter rounds we can have smaller changes in the game between rounds, so it's less likely a round will get completely messed up. If they are messed up at least you won't have to suffer as long with a sucky race (<-- I took zik this time though \o/).
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 23:08   #2
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
Re: Shorter rounds

i doubt rounds will be made any cheaper, due to the CC stuff.

-mist
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 23:21   #3
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

On the CC subject, £5 is currently the minimum charge that we can put through, hence the price for a single account being set at £5. We do try to make rounds cheaper by having the 3 accounts for £10 option, although I can understand why this can be seen as "not the most perfect solution".

This round of PA is going to have been about 10 weeks long (maybe 11) which makes it one of the shortest rounds that has been run. This is a decrease from the 3 months that was the status quo at one point.
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 23:23   #4
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

Don't i remember someone saying this round was gonna be shorter than usual (i might be wrong?) <---i was not wrong (for a change :P)

TBH this round is the perfect lengh and has not stagnated only this morning i woke to find a thread saying 1UP were top then looked to find LCH at the top now i think 1UP are still there.

this round has been fun and is only getting better most allies still have fight in them and more than one is in with a chance. the improvement from last round is marked.
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)

Last edited by barney; 2 Dec 2004 at 23:24. Reason: i saw A2's thread :P
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 23:26   #5
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2
On the CC subject, £5 is currently the minimum charge that we can put through, hence the price for a single account being set at £5. We do try to make rounds cheaper by having the 3 accounts for £10 option, although I can understand why this can be seen as "not the most perfect solution".

This round of PA is going to have been about 10 weeks long (maybe 11) which makes it one of the shortest rounds that has been run. This is a decrease from the 3 months that was the status quo at one point.
How about 5 for £ 15?
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 23:30   #6
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
How about 5 for £ 15?
That has the same essential flaw as 3 for £10 in that you have to buy more than one account in order to see the saving. It's a "why should I invest in credits I might not use" type thing - but for people who buy in bulk and then give away its not bad. I'll have a think on it and mention the 5 for £15 to biffy.

This is going somewhat offtopic for a "shorter rounds" thread though.
Unread 3 Dec 2004, 00:30   #7
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

why cant we use credits for more than 1 round again then? that way we can buy 3 rounds at a time at a cheap rate.

anyway back to the topic. This round has been of about reight length for me. I prefer the first 500 ticks to the next 1000 but i also want to get a reasonable amount for my money. Also stopping for crimbo is a must. noone wants to wake up on christmas morning to find their ships are destroyed and their roids all gone. Also noone wants to be coordinating defence all christmas
Unread 3 Dec 2004, 00:31   #8
A2
#planetarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc mayhem
why cant we use credits for more than 1 round again then? that way we can buy 3 rounds at a time at a cheap rate.
You can use any left over credits in future rounds simply by signing up to the game with the same email address as you used this round already.
Unread 3 Dec 2004, 00:45   #9
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

shorter rounds is cool. But that would lead to faster ticks. Thus slapping pa in the face cause here you pay, "there" you don't. I say faster ticks because all of us love to see big battles. I don't want to see a 20000 ship lemming at the end of the round. I want to see a 1000000 ship lemming.
Unread 3 Dec 2004, 00:51   #10
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

ok. so i am forgetful on payment things

Faster ticks, although nice, would put off new and less active members as it means you have to log in twice as much per day to do the same amount. This means that if you sleep all night you can have 7-8 waves land on you without you seeing them, Not a good idea if you want the game to grow imo. (and yes i know ******** (*swear word detected*) basically do it but they have a more elite playerbase and it is free so ppl dont care as much as they do here)
Unread 3 Dec 2004, 01:05   #11
Eol
The Subtle/Profound

Eol is an unknown quantity at this point

They do 1 hour ticks this round though.
Unread 3 Dec 2004, 01:05   #12
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

I know but they always used to do 30 min ones.....
Unread 3 Dec 2004, 01:20   #13
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc mayhem
I know but they always used to do 30 min ones.....
They've always been 1 hour. Or at least they were from r5 onwards.
Unread 3 Dec 2004, 01:26   #14
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbondigo

The "other" game had half hour ticks last round
Unread 3 Dec 2004, 01:28   #15
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbondigo
they are refering to a different game

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Unread 3 Dec 2004, 01:54   #16
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by veX
The "other" game had half hour ticks last round
My bad, i just re-read what he said originally and see where i went wrong
Unread 3 Dec 2004, 21:08   #17
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

I am confused. I have played the last 4 rounds of ******** and it has always been 30 min ticks from what i can remember.

hmm. just seen the game was removed from my post before so for those wondering, its the sucky r8 clone with arion replaced by ia
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 22:06   #18
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
Re: [Discuss] Shorter rounds

rounds will probably all be 10 weeks from now on - so thats close enough to 1500 for me to say approved

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Closed Thread