User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 13 Oct 2004, 21:53   #1
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
why no shuffle?

planetarion's stated policy is that they do not shuffle a round unless it is absolutely neccessary, or words to that effect.

however, i see another thread about here, in which every poster suggests that one IS absolutely neccessary. yet, pateam seem to disagree.

so, this isn't about wanting a shuffle, it's about why there wasn't one. simple question really.

i can see many plus points to one:
makes one form of cheating less 'profitable'
sorts out all those gals that don't have the right number of players (which you're using as a defence - why?!?)

minus points:
someone has to write shuffle code.

i can see a few others, such as was raised by kal when he mentioned planets that've been paid for by gals on the assumption that they'll still be there. however, this is entirely of pa's only causing as they didn't mention a shuffle early on, so i don't believe counts - plus it seems like a good way to get more paid planets, if you pay for someone before the shuffle they'll stay there :P

so... why no shuffle pateam?

-mist
Unread 13 Oct 2004, 21:57   #2
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: why no shuffle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
planetarion's stated policy is that they do not shuffle a round unless it is absolutely neccessary, or words to that effect.
Is this a new policy because i dont remember it ever being around while i was?

Which rounds have we had were there hasnt been a shuffle because i am struggling to remember any that i played in without a shuffle? As far as i'm concerned a shuffle has always been part of the start of the round and there is no reason not to have it when you consider the possibilities of cheating as well as empty gals that come with no shuffle.
Unread 13 Oct 2004, 22:16   #3
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

PA Team is just sitting there chit-chatting.. PA gets our money and when a huge majority of the customers wants a thing they should follow it. Most of them are volunteers indeed. But if the volunteers can't do their work they should indeed step down. Their work is to make the community happy, isn't it?
Unread 13 Oct 2004, 22:22   #4
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showpo...1&postcount=46 for this round, i may have missinterpreted it to mean others as well, if so appologies although hardly post destroying

-mist
Unread 13 Oct 2004, 22:27   #5
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
PA Team is just sitting there chit-chatting.. PA gets our money and when a huge majority of the customers wants a thing they should follow it. Most of them are volunteers indeed. But if the volunteers can't do their work they should indeed step down. Their work is to make the community happy, isn't it?
The fact that most people that are complaining want a shuffle is hardly surprising. There's not much to complain about if you are in a galaxy with 10 active planets. I'd like a shuffle, though it's a bit late to anounce it now.

I can't believe they messed up the galaxy system like this. But i've seen stuff like this before. Priv gals. Completely messing up ships stats when all that is needed is a little tweak (ow they did it again). Weird formula that allow extreme score gains.

The current ship stats will cause problems. People will complain and ask for mid-round changes. Mark my words.

Ah well, it's just a beta.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2004, 22:40   #6
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Gerbie, shipstats is something you can look on and predict a lot better than this
Unread 13 Oct 2004, 23:36   #7
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

no matter how they/you word it, it comes down to laziness by the pateam basically.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 00:51   #8
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixxard
Righto. There will be NO shuffle.

There is little to gain by shuffling. Any new accounts signing up will get put into the empty spots, unless a new gal is created.
little? however, there is still something to gain, if im paying to play something i atleast want a chance to do well

i think tick 50 we should delete all planets who have been inactive, reshuffle 5 priv/5randoms(paying/none paying)

few gals maybe 1 player short, but it a fair thing to do.
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 02:35   #9
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: why no shuffle?

That reminds me: did anything ever come of their solution to handle inactives?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 04:58   #10
Gerbie
pe0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
That reminds me: did anything ever come of their solution to handle inactives?
They did implement some strickt rules for that. I almost got deleted myself.
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 06:18   #11
Lord_Thunderball
Playing Speedrounds

Lord_Thunderball is on a distinguished road

I don't know. But how hard can it be to make that shuffler.

1) You make a statement which deletes all the inactive's since tickstart (assuming you do it around tick 50).

2) You select all randoms that signed up to this game and take them out of the galaxies they are in.

3) You make a statement which inserts a planet into a private galaxy, and you perform that for every random that you've put outside the galaxies.

Things to concider:

1) Selecting the randoms, random out of the big list (Else people can still cheat a little)
2) Selecting the galaxies random, else 1:2 get's his 6,7,8,9,10 peon first, should be devided random.

Things to take care off:
Fill first the #6, then #7 then #8. If that means that all gals have 9 players... Then that's ok.. Cause all gals will have 8/9 players. More fair then 6/10.

If randoms are left, nobody will shout if they are put in one gal together.
All new signups are dumped random into the game in a priv galaxy with an open spot.
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 08:44   #12
Gerbie
pe0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Thunderball
I don't know. But how hard can it be to make that shuffler.

1) You make a statement which deletes all the inactive's since tickstart (assuming you do it around tick 50).

2) You select all randoms that signed up to this game and take them out of the galaxies they are in.

3) You make a statement which inserts a planet into a private galaxy, and you perform that for every random that you've put outside the galaxies.

Things to concider:

1) Selecting the randoms, random out of the big list (Else people can still cheat a little)
2) Selecting the galaxies random, else 1:2 get's his 6,7,8,9,10 peon first, should be devided random.

Things to take care off:
Fill first the #6, then #7 then #8. If that means that all gals have 9 players... Then that's ok.. Cause all gals will have 8/9 players. More fair then 6/10.

If randoms are left, nobody will shout if they are put in one gal together.
All new signups are dumped random into the game in a priv galaxy with an open spot.
I don't think they stored who was random and who was not. Aparantly the only thing stored was whether there is a key on that galaxy (and which it is).

Last edited by Gerbie; 14 Oct 2004 at 08:53.
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 10:12   #13
Zo0f
Sir peon to you

Zo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of light

All that means is you remove all planets 6-10 from keyed galaxies, and 1-10 from non keyed galaxies and shuffle them through the keyed galaxies. If there are still some left over, put them into 10-15man random gals. (10 if 15 isnt possible, either way a full random gal is killing their round)

"The only easy day was yesterday."
Zo0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 10:15   #14
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

sumthing has to be done...theres only 3 galaxies with 10 players in in my cluster, about 5 of the remaining 7 have only 5 players.... get your finger out pateam

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 13:57   #15
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

how about something like this:

what about all gals with no password get moved to c100+ and the planets 6-10 in password gals also then shuffle gals c100+ into the lower gals

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 14:05   #16
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Once a galaxy has been opened and is able to accept randoms there is no password stored for it. A galaxy of 5 or more players can be either 5 private people waiting for randoms, or 5 random players. Once a gal has been opened it can't be determined which it is.
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 15:21   #17
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: why no shuffle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2
Once a galaxy has been opened and is able to accept randoms there is no password stored for it. A galaxy of 5 or more players can be either 5 private people waiting for randoms, or 5 random players. Once a gal has been opened it can't be determined which it is.
So rather than, say, a bit to indicate whether it's open or not, you just zero the password and make it look like it never had one?

You know, it's really not a good idea to throw away information like that. :/
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote