User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 9 Jan 2005, 21:39   #1
Hellmachine

Hellmachine is an unknown quantity at this point
Speedgames?

Whats speedgames?
i just read: "Game Over

This server will go offline Monday or Tuesday (the 10th or 11th of January), for preparations regarding speedgames and more. Stand by for more info on www.planetarion.com. During the downtime, all data will be erased, so if you still havent gotten those records printed, it is time to grab them now. " on the planetarion overview-page when i logged on..

Or do i have to wait for more info on www.planetarion.com, as it says in the text?
Hellmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 21:44   #2
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of
Re: Speedgames?

Announcement should be going up Monday or Tuesday on the portal and the announcements section of the forums.
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 10:22   #3
ils

ils is an unknown quantity at this point

this is great, and I hope it's free because I aint got no credits.D
*Comander of DreamTeam*
EvoL and Dream to tha Bone
ils is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 17:57   #4
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

hope there's a decent turnout
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 18:13   #5
SleepingBear
ROCK Angel

SleepingBear is an unknown quantity at this point

will it be a speedgame with R12 stats ?

<MrPubes> i thought about starting a new pa career as a female often enough...

R1 - R7 : Played almost all but forgot most of it
R8 - R9 : Social life
R10 : Solo ( SleepingBear of DreamLand )
R11 : ROCK ( Green Mushroom of Mushroomcity )
R12 : ROCK ( The Greatest Fall of All Time )
SleepingBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 18:26   #6
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

it will be R12 based, but stats may well change

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 11:18   #7
melandron
Brain Overload

melandron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2
Announcement should be going up Monday or Tuesday on the portal and the announcements section of the forums.
Tuesday so now i'm going to anxiously await the announcement!
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 16:35   #8
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt there usually an open beta which is a sort of speedgame for free?
I asked this question before but got no answer.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 17:06   #9
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

open betas arn't supposed to be a free game, they's supposed to be productive.

given the usual behaviour in them, were i pateam i'd give up on them and run more private betas instead
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 00:30   #10
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Details on the speedgame can be found HERE
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 14:28   #11
Gary
xVx Peon

Gary is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, this is my first post, so dont bit my head off. Are the stats used in the forth coming spped game going to be the same as the ones going to be used in r13? I would just like to know, so I can sign up purely to get a copy of the stats and get used to them before the round starts...
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 14:30   #12
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

I very much doubt it GJN
arbondigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 14:35   #13
Gary
xVx Peon

Gary is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask, whats the point of the speed game if its not acting like an open beta test? Cant we just get on with arranging the next round, rather than going through a pointless 1 minute per tick speed game, which is just Jolt pretending that they are giving more back to the community.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 14:39   #14
kilroy

kilroy has a little shameless behaviour in the past

nice on time

Well nice that you guys are going to do a speedround.
I hope you get enough people to play for those hours..

Actualy 10 days is to short to plan a good speedround.
This has sayed before next time please annouce bit earlyer instead of 10 days.
Just like me and more people i asume have alreay planed 2 weeks infront.

So next speedround make the annouse 3 weeks before please so we can arange stuff and make a nice comp. In this setup you guys doing its almost impossible to arange a good lan or team to play with.
kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 15:31   #15
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJN
Can I ask, whats the point of the speed game if its not acting like an open beta test? Cant we just get on with arranging the next round, rather than going through a pointless 1 minute per tick speed game, which is just Jolt pretending that they are giving more back to the community.
lots of people enjoy speedgames...

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 12 Jan 2005, 15:31   #16
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy
nice on time

Well nice that you guys are going to do a speedround.
I hope you get enough people to play for those hours..

Actualy 10 days is to short to plan a good speedround.
This has sayed before next time please annouce bit earlyer instead of 10 days.
Just like me and more people i asume have alreay planed 2 weeks infront.

So next speedround make the annouse 3 weeks before please so we can arange stuff and make a nice comp. In this setup you guys doing its almost impossible to arange a good lan or team to play with.
how is 10 days not enough time? if u r free then u can play if you arn;t free you can;t regardless of how much notice we give

and also there is no defence so less team work is required than normal

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 12 Jan 2005, 16:48   #17
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
how is 10 days not enough time? if u r free then u can play if you arn;t free you can;t regardless of how much notice we give

10 days is short notice to book time off work. Its a short amount of time arrange travel to someone elses house if you are going to play it as a LAN party like a fair number of people do.
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 16:49   #18
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

If it's say 3 weeks in advance you can make sure not to plan anything on those days Think I'll be playing.
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Orion Treet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 16:51   #19
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

with a bit of luck they'll announce the paid version soonish, and it'll more than likely be a week or two after the free one. then people will be able to organise better for that - which as jolt make large money on speed games seems sensible for them.

ofc, they could just announce that one horribly late as well.
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 20:52   #20
Lord_Thunderball
Playing Speedrounds

Lord_Thunderball is on a distinguished road

If the game was 3/4 weeks away. I could get a lot more people to play. Now I can't play myself, and won't try to convince others to spent a weekend playing a nice speedround. I'm not the only guy in the world, but more guys think like me... I mean.. I work, I plan weekends ahead to do nice stuff. 10 days is just to short. I told that last time, there should be about four weeks between the announcement and the actual weekend.

1. People need to clear appointments for the weekend that have been made.
2. People need to book the weekend, for some good damn fight in a nice planetarion speedround.
3. People want to convince others to play, and with 10 days left, most people can't be bothered.
4. Some people organise lan games, to have some more fun, 10 days is VERY little time

In other words. Thx for ruining another speedround for me and a lot of others. I'm a speedround addict, but with only 10 days left to reschedule a party for 50.000 people?

So, no 10 days is not enought, and if pa/jolt would open there eyes sometime, they could get a lot more players into a speedround and make speedrounds what it wants was (A lot of players, wanting a weekend of fun)

And I don't care if it's free or not. A free game should be as nice as a paid game, so that's not a reason for announcing it on such a short notice!
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 21:38   #21
mist
Jolt's best friend

pa don't plan a month in advance, i'd have thought that would be obvious by now

-mist
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 22:01   #22
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

3-4 weeks is a minimum to announce anything for a 'proper' sort of round but oh wait, it's free so it doesn't matter right?;) heh
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 22:12   #23
Kal
Inactive peon

it was announced as early as it could be given than spinner is semi out of action atm as to a paid speedgame it would be nice and i'll try and get a defintie answer on it asap

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 12 Jan 2005, 22:52   #24
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

argh my life is ruined because i wasnt given enough notice about this speedgame :'(

Unread 12 Jan 2005, 23:41   #25
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

was looking forward to trying this speedgame thingy but pa have real good timing the day before my last exam (just my luck :P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
with a bit of luck they'll announce the paid version soonish, and it'll more than likely be a week or two after the free one. then people will be able to organise better for that - which as jolt make large money on speed games seems sensible for them.

ofc, they could just announce that one horribly late as well.
is there definately gonna be a further paid speedgame cos i really wanna try it, but is it worth it what is the turnout like usually? do regular round alliances tend to play together or are speed rounds a kinda clean slate?

BTW back to the point a little more notice would've been nice but i couldn't change plans neways lol. 2 weaks or so to despatch the g/f elswhere for the next one would be nice :P

/me goes to plot the downfall of my tutor who set me an exam the day after the speedgame!!!
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2005, 02:21   #26
Iceman
Take that

Iceman is an unknown quantity at this point

10 days is allright... 2 weeks ideally right? but remember you dont HAVE to play
my only concern is will the ticks actually be 1 min

/me remembers last round
Unread 13 Jan 2005, 14:59   #27
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

it will be fun

Unread 14 Jan 2005, 12:36   #28
Tearz
Peter Pwn

Tearz will become famous soon enoughTearz will become famous soon enough

Should be good fun, hopefully a few more planets than the last speedy!
Tearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 12:40   #29
Mat-

Mat- is an unknown quantity at this point

jesus i cna't belive people are moaning about the notice of the speedgames? i mean so what its for fun isn't it? whats the big deal your not paying anything towards it and they are doing it for you free all you can do is bitch. bloody hell.
Mat- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 12:43   #30
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat-
jesus i cna't belive people are moaning about the notice of the speedgames? i mean so what its for fun isn't it? whats the big deal your not paying anything towards it and they are doing it for you free all you can do is bitch. bloody hell.
Just inconveniant for people who would really like to play but can't due to short notice.
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Orion Treet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 13:09   #31
Lord_Thunderball
Playing Speedrounds

Lord_Thunderball is on a distinguished road

People are moaning about the few sign ups, we all know more sign ups, is more fun. So an earlier notice would be very welcome. Ofcource I don't have to play.. But I really DO wanne play, but can't due the short notice, and i'm NOT the only one!
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 14:06   #32
Desse
Pr0nstar

Desse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal

NO teamwork is required, or will you please explain to me where it is needed ?

And I think the speedgames are degenerating with each round.

Last time: No defence.

This time: No defence and No XP. So basically just a farmers race, where every man farms(ooops roids) for himself.

Why even have galaxies ? It is not like they need each other for anything.

Ascendancy - While you were trying, we were sleeping

(@Karmulian) i deffo got roided looking at my planets

Last edited by Desse; 17 Jan 2005 at 14:13.
Desse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 15:18   #33
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desse

Why even have galaxies ? It is not like they need each other for anything.

I was thinking that my self.
Should be able to in gal defend or something only or just have one big galaxy coz thats all we are

Unread 17 Jan 2005, 15:23   #34
noah02
The Original Terran

Oh and stop comparing it to other speed games as this one is free so who cares what the rules are when its FRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
Just play it or dont.

Unread 17 Jan 2005, 16:53   #35
jerome

no xp? ehm what the ****? :DD
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 16:58   #36
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desse
NO teamwork is required, or will you please explain to me where it is needed ?
you'll know when 5 planets attack you in coordinated strikes
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 16:59   #37
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
Oh and stop comparing it to other speed games as this one is free so who cares what the rules are when its FRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
Just play it or dont.
actually, with that attitude, why run it at all?
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 17:00   #38
Desse
Pr0nstar

Desse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
Just play it or dont.
heh. So because it is free, we shouldn´t be allowed to point out, what we feel are things lacking in the setup ?

I´d rather pay 5 or 10 quid for a speedgame with a set of rules, that actually allow me to cooperate with other planets, than play a game that is essentially just a roid race.

Too bad the games with the proper rules usually only have 40 or 50 players, because they are the ones costing money.

This free game will make people try to cheat their balls off with multiple farms and friends to farm off, that it is not a game worth playing for the honest players still left in this community.

Unread 17 Jan 2005, 17:14   #39
jerome

Why is it that half-arsed efforts and PA always go hand in hand to each other?
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 22:08   #40
jerome

Anyway, all that aside, what the ****? heh, seriously enable xp or this round will be largely pointless to any extent.. heh. 'But wait, it's free so why should you care!'
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 22:24   #41
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
heh, seriously enable xp or this round will be largely pointless to any extent.. heh.
It's a game. It's meant to be pointless.
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 22:43   #42
Kal
Inactive peon

Xp makes life to easy with no defence - the decision was based on feedback from the previous no def speed game

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 18 Jan 2005, 09:30   #43
MegaNova
m33p

MegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the rough

Then remove the no defence ?
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 09:37   #44
noah02
The Original Terran

Humph I try and look on the brighter side of life and you all rip me to shreds pah.
Anyways I know it will be just a roid race which is pants but lifes not about getting stressed and bitching its about playing then giving feedback on why it was a very bad or good idea for the next time they decide to do something like this.
Maybe everyone just needs a good roid race.

Unread 18 Jan 2005, 09:41   #45
Desse
Pr0nstar

How about they for once actually try to listen to what the players want ahead of the round ?

Instead of following their own halfbrained attempts at "innovation"

Planetarion to me is about playing in a team, doing things with your friends and having fun.

Playing a round where people will try to farm, multi and generally try to get as easy a ride as possible is just not attractive. And from what I have heard around IRC, a lot of players are really rolling their eyes at this.

Unread 18 Jan 2005, 09:55   #46
Kal
Inactive peon

no defence has been done before... and it was enjoyed last time which is why we are doing it again - the feedback form last time siuggested that we should try it with xp turned off as well - so we are - this is a FREE speedgame remember so I think its fair enough that we should try things out.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 18 Jan 2005, 09:57   #47
Desse
Pr0nstar

So I assume multihunters will be on full duty and really going after all the multis/farmers ?

Unread 18 Jan 2005, 10:01   #48
Kal
Inactive peon

i believe xontas is allready building a long list of suspects and looking for all the usual cheaters - having said that it is harder to cheat in a speedgame than a normal game because the login time overhead becomes significant

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 18 Jan 2005, 17:14   #49
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
i believe xontas is allready building a long list of suspects and looking for all the usual cheaters - having said that it is harder to cheat in a speedgame than a normal game because the login time overhead becomes significant
That's easy to work around by using multiple browsers and the text-only skin.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 17:28   #50
Kal
Inactive peon

that would mean using horrible opera though...

and there is still going to be a very small window for launching fleets anywya as fleet actions are disabled during the tick

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???