User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 9 Dec 2004, 21:58   #1
Chippeh
Void of Sarcasm

Chippeh is an unknown quantity at this point
Petition to have [ and ] allowed in galaxy names.

Self-explanatory I think...

Signed
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 22:06   #2
Behemoth

Re: Petition to have [ and ] allowed in galaxy names.

*Sign*
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 23:01   #3
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

I suspect everyone but the PA-Team will agree & guess who makes the decision to reinvoke them or not
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 23:11   #4
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

signed ofc...
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 23:29   #5
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Signed.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 23:30   #6
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

signed
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 23:30   #7
Stals
Retired

Stals is an unknown quantity at this point

yeh, give back the [ and ]'s
R5 Legion member
R6 Legion BC
R7 Legion BC
WC2 TiG's Terriffic Tribe (winner galaxy!)
R8 Plush member
R9 ToT/LCH BC
R9.5 LDK Scanner
R10 Šragons BC
R10.5 Didn't play
R11 1uP (winner galaxy!)
R12 1uP MO (winner galaxy!)
R13 Not playing
Stals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 23:30   #8
yupster
Dawsons Creek r0x

yupster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Signed.

[1up]

Round5 - 16:23
Round11 - 21:1
Round12 - 22:5
yupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 23:35   #9
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice

signed
DukePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 23:36   #10
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

I feel sure there was some good reason for them not being available in gal names, but as it was quite a long time ago I can't remember what this is and why.
Can't check it instantly, but can get back to you on it when I've found out.

As far as having them in gal names goes, I don't see a problem with it although we'll probably end up with gal names with more tags than names...
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 00:41   #11
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough

If memorie servers correctly it was due to people inserting html code as the galaxy names.

So perhaps the question should be "why are they not allowed?"
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 00:45   #12
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice

I thought it was something with the coding of the game, where [ meant something in the language, and would **** it up, unless they added a small thingy which made it possible. However, they never got arsed around doing that, so...

No, I know nothing of coding, so I can't give any extra info, but I seem to recall something being said about this in CH or somethingl ike that.
DukePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 00:46   #13
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

thats why < and > are banned, i believe [ and ] were banned because there were entire galaxy names filled with nothing but tags, sheer spammage of alliance badges. Ofc now with bb codes, [ and ] may be problematic to bring back

edit : fs keyboard - start working and stop typoing
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 00:52   #14
Cayl

Cayl has a spectacular aura aboutCayl has a spectacular aura about

who cares if galaxy names are nothing but tags... who cares if galaxy names say anything relevant at all?
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 00:57   #15
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

no one wants to see the names, they wanna see the alliance tags.
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 00:58   #16
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

it was a guess at what i think the reason for it was, it was before my time in pateam and my memorys very fuzzy about things in the past . i half remember something about it being because tags were spammed everywhere in gal names tho
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 05:59   #17
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Petition to have [ and ] allowed in galaxy names.

I bet the original problem was that players wanted longer galaxy names because they couldn't fit all their alliance tags into the name. PA responded by disallowing square brackets. Problem solved!

Seriously though, the tag problem seems to wax and wane with private v. random galaxies. Maybe the solution is to have a separate field for tags?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 06:15   #18
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
Seriously though, the tag problem seems to wax and wane with private v. random galaxies. Maybe the solution is to have a separate field for tags?
Can someone explain to me what the 'tag-problem' is?
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 06:24   #19
Illogical
Property of merle

Illogical is an unknown quantity at this point

i want [ and ] back
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 07:14   #20
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Petition to have [ and ] allowed in galaxy names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Can someone explain to me what the 'tag-problem' is?
The tag problem is that there's only a relatively small number of characters in the galaxy name. In rounds where there are more alliances per galaxy (due to random placement and/or larger galaxy sizes) there may not be enough room for all the tags. Allowing brackets makes tags easier to see (and parse), but then they also take up more space.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 07:43   #21
Banned
Banned

Quote:
The tag problem is that there's only a relatively small number of characters in the galaxy name. In rounds where there are more alliances per galaxy (due to random placement and/or larger galaxy sizes) there may not be enough room for all the tags. Allowing brackets makes tags easier to see (and parse), but then they also take up more space.
I don't quite see how this is a problem...
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 08:59   #22
god113
Ex-Player

god113 has a spectacular aura aboutgod113 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

I'd agree with this...
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 09:19   #23
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Blixxard is an unknown quantity at this point

Community Development Liaison
Blixxard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 09:42   #24
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

its because this happend

[Legion][BlueTuba][Gods][NoS][Fury] 86:8 2.278.253.129

of something of that nature i believe
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 13:19   #25
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veil05
its because this happend

[Legion][BlueTuba][Gods][NoS][Fury] 86:8 2.278.253.129

of something of that nature i believe

but that is wholy more interesting that

look at us were 1337 86:8 2.278.253.129

in the past tagging used to play a big part, not just for those in the allies who tagged, but those who wernet in the top allies, and even though they arent in the loop they can see whos, who etc, the tags were bold and clear.
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 13:28   #26
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

Phil is right.

Signed, too.
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 14:38   #27
Kileman
Commander

Kileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to behold

who gives two craps about whether a gal name is filled with tags... if the GC of the gal wants that - why take away their choice

Also bring back @_@ and ^_^ etc.... they made me quit R10 coz they werent able to be used
________
Toyota Department Of Fan Operations

Last edited by Kileman; 24 Feb 2011 at 22:20.
Kileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 15:34   #28
Tis
Lost the Fury... :(

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of

way to stand by your principles kileman
Tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 19:01   #29
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

*signed*
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2004, 23:20   #30
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all

signed
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2004, 07:27   #31
NitinA
Laziness pays off NOW!

NitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant future

signed.

-NitinA
NitinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2004, 13:48   #32
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

It's players decisions if they want their galaxy name full of tags, there were only a handful of galaxies where the names actually mattered. Players have asked for this since it was removed.

Signed.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2004, 22:18   #33
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

signed

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2004, 22:32   #34
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixxard
pfft trying to make me do my job????

I think a good way to handle tags might be to hard code something about displaying alliance makeup, in the mean time though like everyone else said, the decision was before my time, so i'll have to find ouy for you.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2004, 00:54   #35
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Blixxard is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
pfft trying to make me do my job????
*cracks whip*

Blixxard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2004, 01:13   #36
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

lol blixxard, that's harsh

-mist
Unread 12 Dec 2004, 01:29   #37
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Signed.
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2004, 13:33   #38
Karjeg
SiN

Karjeg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus
If memorie servers correctly it was due to people inserting html code as the galaxy names.

So perhaps the question should be "why are they not allowed?"
That's even simpler:

Code:
$galname = addslashes($_POST["name"]);
mysql_query("UPDATE galaxy SET galname = '$galname' WHERE x='$coord_x' AND y='$coord_x' LIMIT 1");
aaaaand.....

Code:
$name = mysql_query("SELECT galname FROM galaxy WHERE x='$coord_x' AND y='$coord_y'");
$raw_name = mysql_fetch_array($name);
$galname = $raw_name["galname"];
$galname = stripslashes($galname);
Even though I'm not sure about the stripslashes bit, since I'm not the one who coded PA. But in any case, escaping HTML tags in galnames requires very few lines of code.

Edit:
Oh, I almost forgot: *signed*
<Jeeves> --- 1.1 Centaur will kill 0.277037037037 Hornet
Karjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2004, 21:07   #39
Bartje

Bartje is an unknown quantity at this point

*signed*

[kc]Bart aka 'IcDeAdPeOpLe'

[22:29] * Rebenne gets naked
[22:29] * Berk throws up
[22:29] * [kc]Bart hides
[22:29] * Hook ducks
[22:29] * Rebenne asks : WHO WANNA PARTY!
Bartje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2004, 21:38   #40
paolo
Kwaak

paolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to all

Wouldn't it be easier if alliance HC's have the option to make all their planets visible.
Give us back the alliance tag next to the name
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2004, 22:06   #41
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I'd prefer to see both.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Dec 2004, 13:08   #42
genosse27
Hamburger

genosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the rough

signed + make planet tags visible!! so every n00b knows where each planet is.
Unread 13 Dec 2004, 19:18   #43
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by genosse27
make planet tags visible!! so every n00b knows where each planet is.
With the added bonus of everyone knowing which planets aren't in an alliance and therefore are easy targets to hit night after night after night as a way of introducing them to the game!!! There's numerous posts about the pros and cons of showing planet tags and the essential arguments haven't changed since last time around.