User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Closed Thread
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 06:36   #1
Pinkerton
doo doo dah

Pinkerton can only hope to improve
Exclamation Better IRC instructions for newbs.

To the veteran players everything seems extremely easy to understand. But to a newb that has just stumbled upon this game some things are not so clear and they may feel they can't be bothered to take the necessary steps to get setup.

With that said, when i first signed on there were two things that I was not aware of. 1) this is an alliance centered game 2) what the hell was IRC.?

Entering commands? setting up the PERFORM? etc....Easy now that i know . But it would have been harder had i not met a very friendly PA player who walked me through the whole setup.

The importance of these 2 ( alliances & IRC) should be made clear in BIG BOLD LETTERS for the clueless newb (me two months ago) How to down load and setup an IRC client and connect to the correct server. ( Some people don't even know what a server is) or where to enter it..so they don't even bother to do it.

The main point is to make the set up of IRC more user friendly ( I know that people will think that it is absurd because it is so easy now that you know but so is the Chinese language), And to emphasize its importance and make it appear simple to set up.

I know there is a guide on the side bar of the panel, but that could be made clearer and more prominent on the page [RED and BLINKING]

Or whatever……..I was just reflecting on my earlier misconceptions of what the game was about. It’s a great game and I’ll keep playing. This thread was started on the idea of how to get more new players to sign up and STAY…instead of quitting after a few days because the heart of the game is inaccessible to them without more guidance
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 07:45   #2
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
Re: Better IRC instructions for newbs.

first, i'll do my usual spiel over how using perform is asking to have your login details stolen and any channels you have access to compromised. seriously. don't do it, it's not big or cool.

that said, what do you think needs to go in to such a guide? the problem with writing one is that you very rapidly reach the point where it's huge and therefore of little practical use.

-mist
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 10:34   #3
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

there is actually both an irc and mirc guide on the portal - though i admit neither are perfect and both far from easily visible

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 11:39   #4
cycle o path

cycle o path is an unknown quantity at this point

As someone who only started getting into IRC this round (and still confused by it) I found the in game mIRC guide very confusing and needed someone to talk me through it on the phone.

Just thought I'd add my bit!
Unread 5 Dec 2004, 09:30   #5
agincourt

agincourt is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, the hardest part for me was learning to use IRC. I am still not entirely comfortable with it. Maybe a plain, easily visible section on how to use the in game IRC and directions on how to get to a chatroom with someone to help with it. Nothing beats someone explaining things personally. Of course it would be nice if someone was there and not idling ;-)
Unread 5 Dec 2004, 11:48   #6
Iceman
Take that

Iceman is an unknown quantity at this point

its true!

when you sign up, in the account activation email or something there should be a link to IRC help and the mIRC dowload page so ppl can get right onto this if they havent before
Unread 5 Dec 2004, 12:17   #7
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Discuss] Better IRC instructions for newbs.

I don't know why the topic includes [Discuss]... should be approved instantly.

I'm sure there are many people who can write a few paragraphs of getting onto IRC, and shouldn't take more than a day at most
Unread 5 Dec 2004, 17:18   #8
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of
Re: [Discuss] Better IRC instructions for newbs.

I'm about half way through rewriting the complete IRC Guide and admit that the one on the current portal isn't up to much really as it never got replaced when half of it mysteriously vanished, and then half of what was left has dissapeared since.

There is a bit of a better one residing on the old portal at http://portal.planetarion.com/misc.php?ID=15

edit: new version won't be available until Tuesday evening, as I'm away from home until Monday evening, and so have to have a little bit of time to complete it.

There's also a wishlist growing on my PC about things I'd like to see to make it easier for new players to get involved, but more of that when I've talked to someone who can code, and determined which are possible, and which are just dreams.