User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 24 Sep 2006, 15:44   #1
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Balancing Research & Constructions

As we all know the construction page is open from the start with all the possible constructions available.

Early in the game some are no use, for example why build a Light Factory untill the Reserach to build the ships is complete, or why build any amps untill you can actually scan?

So what I suggest is that these Constructions are <greyed out> and only become available when the player has the ability to make use of them. I would further explain by saying that a Light Factory will become available to build when the number of ticks left on the research is = to or less than the number of ticks to complete the research that makes use of the factory.

This would reduce the number of errors made when people undertake constructions as they would be only able to build usefull cons, in particular it would give guidance to the new player, by way of the fact that a legend could pop up when you roll the mouse pointer over the Construction that says "This construction will be availble when the Figther Research is x% completed"

Perhaps another way to make use of this idea would be to limit the number of Wave amplifiers per each wave research, so a for Surface Scans a player would max out at 10 Amps, Tech Scans 20, and so on.

I also have noted the feature in the speed round we have been playing where Distorters are not available untill News Scan research has been completed. I really like this, as it means the Disto whores will have to work the scan tree before they can get them.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 16:42   #2
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of
Re: Balancing Research & Constructions

This seems like a reasonable idea. The only negative I can really think of is if you can't build a light factory until after you've researched it, it will increase the time before you can build ships because you can't have a light factory ready before you research the tech. Overall though very good suggestion imo.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 16:47   #3
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

i likes it the negative effect (as you say monroe) is only minimal really.

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 18:43   #4
wielklem
retired

wielklem is an unknown quantity at this point

you can planet scan from the start so you should be able to build amps from the start for the rest i agree
r3-r5 nub r8-r17, r19 tot/lch nub, r20-r22 CT nub, r23 inactive ToF
wielklem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 18:48   #5
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

I like it too, but only if the player has the ability to turn it off when they choose it. It could help new people overall, but would limit the advanced players a bit (especially in the start of the round)

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 19:23   #6
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem!
I like it too, but only if the player has the ability to turn it off when they choose it. It could help new people overall, but would limit the advanced players a bit (especially in the start of the round)
Surely that'd defeat the point of it?
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 19:34   #7
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
yeah i dont like the idea of it being able to be disabled.

<Chef> recall my fleet?

Unread 24 Sep 2006, 20:08   #8
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Of course PA Team cannot understand that an experienced player might want to order a light factory before his fi research so that both finish same time or stuff ... yeah right.
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 20:14   #9
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
Of course PA Team cannot understand that an experienced player might want to order a light factory before his fi research so that both finish same time or stuff ... yeah right.
im not sure if thats the point really heartless.

maybe if this is to be implemented instead of things not being available to construct (due to lack of research) the same thing as on the production page should occur. As in...

"This construction is unavailable without blah research"

in nice red letters.

<Chef> recall my fleet?

Unread 24 Sep 2006, 20:18   #10
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef!
im not sure if thats the point really heartless.

maybe if this is to be implemented instead of things not being available to construct (due to lack of research) the same thing as on the production page should occur. As in...

"This construction is unavailable without blah research"

in nice red letters.
Well, in that case you touch game design. Not just UI design. And if you finally touch game design do a ****ing properly revamp of it so us players can get an enjoyable game with several different paths to victory.
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 20:20   #11
Judge
Doh!

I said in my post that the construction would be available when the Research for it would finish to allow its use.

In other words there are 6 Ticks untill completion of the research and you are able to complete a construction in that same time, so therefore you should be able to start it so it completes at the same time it becomes of use.
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 23:02   #12
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

Its hardly that big a deal if you have a construction early. Presumably anyone whos worried about losing some construction ticks knows how constructions work. There really isnt a need for this imo.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 23:17   #13
Judge
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-W
Its hardly that big a deal if you have a construction early. Presumably anyone whos worried about losing some construction ticks knows how constructions work. There really isnt a need for this imo.

There is for a new player, who may think building a light factory gives him ships etc...
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 23:25   #14
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
I thought the point of it was to help out new people who at the start usually have no idea what constructions do and when to build them etc etc.
On the other hand, the people that have played this game for years know what to do and when to construct them, they might find a system like that unhandy.

If this is going to be put into the game then i (and alot of other people i'm sure of that) would like an ability to turn it off.
Just put the option to turn it of into preferences, put it on standard and have a warning to discourage new players + occasional players from turning it off.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 00:47   #15
Monroe

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem!
I thought the point of it was to help out new people who at the start usually have no idea what constructions do and when to build them etc etc.
On the other hand, the people that have played this game for years know what to do and when to construct them, they might find a system like that unhandy.

If this is going to be put into the game then i (and alot of other people i'm sure of that) would like an ability to turn it off.
Just put the option to turn it of into preferences, put it on standard and have a warning to discourage new players + occasional players from turning it off.
I don't think it would make any sense to be able to turn it off. Either have it in the game or not, but no halfway. The one other thought here is concurent construction/research. So you could start building a light factory once you started researching the right tech, this would allow you to complete it on time. If you canceled the research then you would no longer be able to build the factory which would be canceled and the appropriate % (based on % complete) of resources would be returned.

#strategy
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 01:02   #16
manxkat
Darling

manxkat is an unknown quantity at this point

Screwing up is all part of the game, maybe the manual needs clarifying to help new players, if peeps want to be distort whores surely that is their choice.
We don't need PA team spoon feeding us all, give us some credit
manxkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 07:37   #17
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

It would actually make some sense of to build constructions in general one needed to have done some research. It would also improve the learning curve for the game.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 13:21   #18
Pilgrim
Bline

Pilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe
I don't think it would make any sense to be able to turn it off. Either have it in the game or not, but no halfway. The one other thought here is concurent construction/research. So you could start building a light factory once you started researching the right tech, this would allow you to complete it on time. If you canceled the research then you would no longer be able to build the factory which would be canceled and the appropriate % (based on % complete) of resources would be returned.
Cant we build like that now? Or am i missing something.
With the exception of distorters
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 14:17   #19
Monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Cant we build like that now? Or am i missing something.
With the exception of distorters
It is similar to what we can do now but not exactly like it. The difference is you can't build a factory under the new scheme until you start the approriate research, at the moment you can build any factory at any time.

#strategy
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 15:22   #20
Judge
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
It would actually make some sense of to build constructions in general one needed to have done some research. It would also improve the learning curve for the game.

Thanks for making this explicit, I assumed that my suggestion made this point implicitly.
Unread 26 Sep 2006, 05:47   #21
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge
There is for a new player, who may think building a light factory gives him ships etc...
Having a light factory early is not a significant enough mistake to try to hard-code out of the game. Who really cares if you have your light factory early? (other than hardcore players on a tick plan)

In fact ive built my light factory early in previous rounds because I wasnt on a tick plan and I just wanted to make sure I had it when the research finished. This is a total non-issue.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2006, 14:43   #22
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Early in the game some are no use, for example why build a Light Factory untill the Reserach to build the ships is complete, or why build any amps untill you can actually scan?
Not everyone's active 24/7 though, or might go away for a day. Their Light Factory would finish early in game terms but it would suit them fine since they'd return to both completed.
Unread 28 Sep 2006, 07:18   #23
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
iirc, the description under the Light (or other Factories) says in bright red that you need the appropriate ship research in order for it to work, and as such this isnt really a problem, assuming the new player can read english.

I have to say that i'm not a fan of the proposal. In a way, it help the more active players who will be online when the eg Fighter research is 4 ticks through so you can start a Light factory - just because you do the factory first then the research doesnt mean it isnt an optimal course of action on the behalf of the player; as furbeh mentioned the player might be away during the research time, but still wants to build ships once the research is complete, rather than having to *then* start the construction. Further, depending on activity, this could increase the amount of time it takes to get ships by a whole day (especially without research/construction queing), and thus making the player more vulnerable or making them have to jump through more hoops in order to do something so simple.

And then there are issues with changing research/construction times as engineering and/or res labs or whatever alter the various time relationships - excess coding time that i'd much rather have in the combat engine tbh. /me waves @ Kloopy
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote