User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 6 Jan 2005, 01:19   #1
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough
www.planetarion.com

Last post was over 2 months ago.

Newbie thinks...wow...my mate who told me to come to this site must need his head examined. Fecking place mst be dead, nothing happening in over 2 months!

Unread 6 Jan 2005, 01:22   #2
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: www.planetarion.com

Agreed.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 03:20   #3
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of

And biffy counters =)

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 04:07   #4
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

Zeus!

/me bows

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 04:27   #5
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

Nice to see the hive of activity

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 05:40   #6
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of

Well if it isnt Mit

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 09:16   #7
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Blixxard is an unknown quantity at this point

Blixxard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 09:27   #8
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

the portal is a bit of a problem atm yes, of course there will not allways be regular announcements as there is not allways something to announce, but we could and should have more of the in game news type things that kloopy posted before tick start, we just need some nice active slaves...

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 09:30   #9
ils

ils is an unknown quantity at this point

could be more active yes
*Comander of DreamTeam*
EvoL and Dream to tha Bone
ils is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 09:34   #10
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

tbh I havent even gone by the url for ages
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 11:45   #11
Nitros
Internal Error

Nitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to behold

winning gal was 22:5
not 22:2:5

edit: its fixed now

[]LCH[] ..lets change history

Last edited by Nitros; 6 Jan 2005 at 14:51.
Nitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 12:16   #12
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
we just need some nice active slaves...
You don't know how funny I find that.
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 13:52   #13
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRat
Well if it isnt Mit
Congrats, you can read i do occasionally read here still, even if i'm not involved with the game anymore.

Unread 6 Jan 2005, 13:57   #14
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
of course there will not allways be regular announcements as there is not allways something to announce
The round finished only a few weeks ago, i think that is generally something worth announcing on the portal.

P.S. Hi Mit, long time no see .
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 14:27   #15
Mit
Let battle commence

Indeed JC, I've been lurking and reading occasionally... bit too busy to do anymore thou.

Unread 6 Jan 2005, 14:38   #16
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
the portal is a bit of a problem atm yes, of course there will not allways be regular announcements as there is not allways something to announce, but we could and should have more of the in game news type things that kloopy posted before tick start, we just need some nice active slaves...
The portals always a problem Its just messy, crowded and doesnt really offer what the community wants or needs. The portals were great when they were unoffical and could serve the players but as they became official they became too restricted and failed to offer what the community wanted. And this has got worse and worse as times gone on.

Also the fact they insist on redoingt the portal every couple of rounds doesnt help. It doesnt bloody matter what the codes like, its the contents thats the important part and rather than spending all the time doing the coding and design they should just be looking to settle on a code base and a nice clear design that will last for years so that the content can then be the area thats everyones focus.

The portal becomes little more than a place for PR/Propaganda from PATeam and Jolt or a place for people to have bragging righst that they are a portal columnist. Back in the days of Planet101 being run by coffee people wrote columns because they wanted the wanted to inform people of intresting game related events at their planet or in their alliance. As soon as its official all the 'limelight hunters' started crawling out of the woodwork just so they can have their name on the portal and on the whole the columnists end up posting complete and utter drivel thats unreleated to the game and is of little intrest to anyone.

I mean lets look at some of the current columns

PATEAM
Kloppy
Quote:
Matts Guide to Life, posted at 19:36 on Sunday 30th March 2003
Matt's Guide to Starting a Conversation, posted at 22:33 on Tuesday 29th April 2003
Both simply belong in a personal blog and not on the offical portal.

Spinner
Quote:
Round 12 - The Edge Of Darkness, posted at 17:25 on Monday 4th October 2004
More bunnies anyone???, posted at 07:40 on Wednesday 27th October 2004
Spinner does better than Kloopy. One peice that is of intrest to people visiting the portal. However one on rabbits that like Kloopys belongs in a personal blog

Opinion

Squidly
Quote:
Hunger!, posted at 08:06 on Tuesday 19th October 2004
"20 miles in the snow uphill both ways", posted at 03:35 on Wednesday 27th October 2004
Non controversial apple-juice, posted at 03:18 on Friday 29th October 2004
2 words that belong in the same sentence: hiphop and ..... Sh, posted at 06:52 on Thursday 25th November 2004
Ok. Personal Pet Peeve., posted at 08:26 on Thursday 16th December 2004
Radical Masculinism. (bring on the column wars!), posted at 08:41 on Thursday 16th December 2004
One of the more active posters and certainly on the whole more thought and effort has been put into these posts than most bother. However not 1 is really relevent to the game

Appocomaster
Quote:
My Fantasy Book Series Review (Complete), posted at 21:27 on Tuesday 26th October 2004
Not totally relevent BUT does falls into the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Bracket that this game also does and which on the whole intrests the players. This is the kind of Off Topic posts that we should have.

Chef
Quote:
Portal Graphics, posted at 18:08 on Sunday 5th December 2004
Radical Feminism... yes... very interesting, posted at 01:26 on Wednesday 8th December 2004
Like spinner Chef has made an attempt to be relevent by having one of his two posts be PA related. The other however is again blog material

Ice-Lady
Quote:
Amusing, posted at 09:34 on Wednesday 8th December 2004
Again personal blog material

Its a waste of space and a waste people visiting it. It might be hard to find people who can write columns that are relevent but if thats the case then maybe there shouldnt be columns, or maybe it should be less strict about columns so anyone can write one at any time and publish it on the site (obviously being ok'd first) rather than have people who just write unreleated rubbish that a handful at most are bothered about.

The new community project, The PAWiki has the right idea. Its providing a load of intresting information for players in a easy to navigate way .Its not about saying "LOOK AT ME I'M IMPORTANT' but about producing something as a community for the community. Its something the portal should be taking lead from, witha few additions to the PAwiki (A News sectiion for example) it would beat the portal in every area and is exactly waht the portal should be
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 14:54   #17
Desse
Pr0nstar

Desse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Or a more active PA-team

Ascendancy - While you were trying, we were sleeping

(@Karmulian) i deffo got roided looking at my planets
Desse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 15:08   #18
Kileman
Commander

Kileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to behold

The portal always has and always will be an unneccesary evil!
________
COLORADO MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited by Kileman; 24 Feb 2011 at 22:22.
Kileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 16:13   #19
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

The portal is very much the face of Planetarion. It's importance relays on fresh announcements and a nice design.

At the beginning of round 12 Kloopy and myself decided to work on it. The idea was that I would produce the design and graphics then Kloopy would put his column code over the top. As one of the main desires was the columns and that it should be easy to update. However with one thing and another the code never got added to the graphics so Planetarion.com amounted to a portal from pre-round 10.

I can assure you (and do everything in my power) that next round will see a whole new portal. A new splash and the Jumpgate.

The splash page will be a few links pointing where to go and a brief sentence or two on what Planetarion is about.
The Jumpgate is something new. It is a mini-site that explains to new people what Planetarion is. Listing it’s features, screenshots, where to sign up and how to get started.
The Portal will be the portal. Perhaps a little smaller and without the columns.
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 16:26   #20
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

well there is a lot of useless things on the portal but the polls are ok as long as it doesnt stay on the same one for months on end but then again wouldnt it be easier to lob the polls with the rest of the polls in discusion boards.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 18:38   #21
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Portal is as dead as the name itself
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 21:19   #22
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Both simply belong in a personal blog and not on the offical portal.
I would never have noticed those columns if i had not read your post here
I totally agree, more news and announcements, less spam.

I also thought the portal announcements and the forums announcements section were linked, but i find posts in either of them that do not appear in the other. That shouldn' t happen. What's so hard about putting the forum announcements on the portal? We had several that never made it there so thats why the portal looks inactive and outdated. You always talk about making the game attractive to new players, yet can't even do the smallest and least time-consuming steps towards it?
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 22:21   #23
Ice-Lady
Pandoras Box of filth

Ice-Lady has a spectacular aura aboutIce-Lady has a spectacular aura aboutIce-Lady has a spectacular aura about

There will be more news as soon as it comes along, I'm going to make sure of that from now on.

The columns are there for ANYONE to submit to, you are all welcome to write something and submit it. As long as it's not something that offends anyone, ie porn, racist material or foul language etc I will post it up.
Columns are there for general articles on any subject, there are sections for PA and other areas of interest which again you can freely submit to.
Ice-Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 03:13   #24
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

What is with the the awful portals which something thinks is a great idea? Every attempt at one has failed in some way, or it gets totally redesigned for the next round without the previous one being finished.

Their formula seems to be something like:

Poll which never gets changed + Columns which are updated once then never again + Ancient news + Sections which never work = Great website which everyone must visit!

Drop everything which isn't essential. Just have a www.planetarion.com with two things - an updated news page and an 'about' section. The 'about' section can be used as an advert for the game with links to the forum/game/manual/etc, something similar to this maybe (but without the flash!).

Planetarion isn't a news/blog website which people visit, its a game. Wasting time on a portal which people aren't bothered with anyway is just pointless. Sure, create a nice website which describes what Planetarion is and how it works, but don't turn it into a full portal.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 17:10   #25
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

IF i was the one in charge of the game id be doing the following with. The site structure would be

Code:
		        		Splash Screen
					      |
					      |
					      |
	  -------------------------------------------------------------------------
	  |		    |		      |			   |		   |
	Forums		Jumpgate	   Manual		DevBlog		PAWiki
And no I havent forgotten the Portal, its intentionally not there as I dont think its needed

Splash Screen - We need a slick, stylish and professional looking spalsh screen that looks appealing and gives off the idea that its a professional company and thus a cut above everyone else. Fer.ion is a good example I think

Forums - The forums are vital as a community tool. They can also be a perfectly adequate way of news delivery system just like in days of old. In fact using it to delivery news would help bring players to the forum which is something we could do with more of. If players dont come here to read news they sometimes never come here, where as if they do they sometimes read threads and contribute. This is good for the community which is good for the game

Jumpgate - This sounds a great feature for the game and is exactly what is needed.. Something like newage3.com or star.sphere.net would be ideal. It should ideally be iun the same style as the Splash screen BUT as i will go into more detail below could even replace the splash screen

Manual - The game obviously need a manual bit it needs slimmed down. Its simply too bloated and theres too much pointless stuff in it and that can make finding what you need hard. If some of the other stuff is needed maybe it can be split slightly so its not masking the important info

Dev - To make up for losing spinner column where he can keep people informed of whats going on development we could a blog type system where regular development updates can be posted. Perhaps it could be done as another forum under announcements. Also perhaps some other people could be giving access to it if its done this way, for example Kal is heading up a development team to look over some ideas so perhaps he could have access to post whats being discussed there.

PAWiki - This should be advertised on the site BUT should retain its indipendance. This is the type of project thats by the community for the community and is very useful. I mean lets be honest really in the grand scale of things PATeam and Jolt are insignifican because without the community their roles are pointless. As such we need things like PAWiki which involve the community again and keep them intrested more. If PATeam/Jolt were to try and do it themselves but with some controls it would just stiffle it and kill it as has happened numourous times when things that are community projects and should have remaind community projects became official

Alternativly it could go to a SS type setup of
Code:
		                    	  Jumpgate
					      |
					      |
					      |
	  -------------------------------------------------------------------------
	  |		    |		      			   |		   |
	Forums		Manual	   				DevBlog		PAWiki
This is a structure many online games take, however many try and go too portally, much like PA does or too "My first homepagey" so it either gets swamped with rubbish or doesnt give off a professional feel. It needs to remember to KIS like SS does. It should have links to Forums, Manual, Devblog, PAWiki and probally then links to an About page, the news(announcemnet forum), screenshots, feature list ect

Either way the important part is that things stay relevent, it looks professional and isnt too overwhelming and that it gives a way for the community to feel like they are doing things by things like the PAwiki and by getting people onto the forums WITHOUT interfering in a way that kills these 'community' movements.

Now I know theres a few problems with the idea in generally for example
  • Professional look from unprofessional people. Those doing the design and graphics are going to be hobbists or people who are in education with the view of going into that industry. They simpky wont be able to produce a look like youd get from these big commericial online games such as those produced by CCP, Sony ect ect BUT it doesnt mean you have to plump for the first person and the first design. If its not perfect the problems should eb pointed out and work on fixing them started
  • Jolt. I know they like control of things and arent going to be happy with things which are more community based like the PAwiki being given too much of a prominat place but hopefully they can look and realise that the game relys on the community and can see that anything which motivates and involves them is good even if perhaps their attitudfe seems anti jolt and as such can give things like this a chance to really serve the community

but it streamlines things and keeps them relivent and brings the community into play which is good
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 17:35   #26
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I agree with you wakey, though it would be nice if the pawiki had a shorter and simpler address that people could actually remember. For example we could point something like community.planetarion.com or wiki.planetarion.com at it, though for that to be done it would have to be made very clear on the site that it is a community project not controlled by jolt or PA Team. etc

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 7 Jan 2005, 18:08   #27
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
(A News sectiion for example) it would beat the portal in every area and is exactly waht the portal should be
http://www.clawofdarkness.com/pawiki...Current_events

As for a domain, I've been pondering getting one.
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 18:41   #28
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

pa linking directly to it would seem the first step to it becomming unofficially offical, which seems rather a kiss of death.

that said, i hate splash screens. their main function seems to be to get between me and where i want to go. as such, i'd much rather have a 'useful' front page.

-mist
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 18:50   #29
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
pa linking directly to it would seem the first step to it becomming unofficially offical, which seems rather a kiss of death.
Yeah, just like the forums.
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 19:04   #30
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
It should have links to Forums, Manual, Devblog, PAWiki and probally then links to an About page, the news(announcemnet forum), screenshots, feature list ect
The forums, manual, news and an about section (with screenshots, feature list, etc) are essential.

Have to agree with mist on the wiki. Leave the wiki alone and let the owner of it buy a different and unofficial domain for it. Pretty much anything which Planetarion touches to make it into an official or semi-official feature tends to get run down and dies.

Also a devblog is most likely going to end up like the current columns section? Why not just get one person responsible for posting a development update to the news every 2 weeks or so? Not like the so called community newsletters which used to be full of crap, but something to inform people whats new in the game and what will happen soon. If you seperate development updates and news you'll get something like the current news page (just one update since October).
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 19:08   #31
wakey
Hamster

The wiki is slightly differnt to the forums. The forums are alot more in the middle ground as they are a community tool but they are run and operated by Jolt. The wiki is seperate, its on a differnt server and isnt ultimatly under Jolts control. At most all they would probally have control over would be the domain.

And I feel that to be fully useful it has to be more visable, otherwise its a bit of an elite tool whos use is restricted to a few rather than all. And the wiki relys somewhat on peoples input so the userbase being restricted isnt that good for it
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 19:18   #32
wakey
Hamster

GReaper, I'm not saying hand over any kind of control over to them as i've said interference from them would potentially ruin it BUT it needs a wider audience which its never going to get in a word of mouth situtaion. Even if it got a motd listing it would soon be forgotten (just look at the way forum posts go up when anytthing non it is linked in the motd but goes back down again when its not brought to their attention)

As I said in my post community projects should stay community projects BUT that doesnt mean that Jolt and PATeam cant advertise it by giving it a link in a visable place.
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 19:27   #33
djcomplex
The Usualsuspects

djcomplex will become famous soon enoughdjcomplex will become famous soon enough

The portal has always been a huge waste of time and resources. Wakey's idea is definately the way to go.
djcomplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 20:23   #34
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: www.planetarion.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcomplex
The portal has always been a huge waste of time and resources. Wakey's idea is definately the way to go.
Slight preference for Wakey's second variant (SS type).
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 20:54   #35
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

It’s a nice that everyone is taking an interest.

But honestly, there will be a portal and the trimmings! (Cinderella shall go to the ball)
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 21:03   #36
wakey
Hamster

The point is Blixxard no-one wants a portal or needs a portal. Everything a portal does can be handled in other ways which are more community building friendly thus freeing up those working on the portal to be invested in more useful areas (For example if you dont have Portal grfx's to sort out every round and if my second variation was used and their wasnt a spash screen either you would have fewer graphics to do and thus more time to make sure that those ones you do have to do are that much better and thus make PA seem that little bit more polished and professional which always makes people more comfortable handing things like credit card details over)

The portals been in around for nearly 10 full rounds now and every round they try and push the community onto the portal and its never worked as theres never any real hook. Its time to give up and work on areas that sell the game like the Jumpgate seems to be aiming to do.
The Farnborough Crew

Last edited by wakey; 7 Jan 2005 at 21:09.
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 21:18   #37
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Splash has been done. (will touch up when I have time)
Jumpgate has been done.
Portal gfx have been done, it is just awaiting code/content.

Let me get on with it, and you shall see when it goes online.
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 21:33   #38
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Portal is abit pointless since all the information needed is give to people either on IRC or via the in game MOTD.

Marv

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 21:39   #39
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

ugh you mean your going to take away the nice current portal graphics?

*cries*

i want my round 3 skin for next round blixxard, or i'll hunt you down!

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 21:40   #40
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The point is Blixxard no-one wants a portal or needs a portal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixxard
Splash has been done. (will touch up when I have time)
Jumpgate has been done.
Portal gfx have been done, it is just awaiting code/content.

Let me get on with it, and you shall see when it goes online.
I'm not totally sure how that's a retort. I can't see many people in favour of any portal that is related at all to the content users are faced with at the minute, no matter how much time you spend on new GFX and backend code.

Why not just give us a rundown of what the hell's going to be on this portal we're to wait for and then get some feedback before making another waste of space of a site that noone does or wants to visit? You know, instead of making the portal without any community consideration and then having to spend the next two rounds justifying choices made?
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 22:17   #41
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

I have nothing more to add to this thread.
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 22:40   #42
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Could you perhaps give us the name of a PATeam member who does?
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 23:42   #43
Kal
Inactive peon

blixxard has done all the non-portal graphics asked of him for now, so why should he not make www.planetarion.com look nice. the current portal was allways an interim solution, something that looks good and gets updated should and will be in place before the next round.

blixxard is the only person working on the portal atm and he is only using his spare time on it, so it is hardly a waste of resources or anything, lets just wait and see what we get.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 8 Jan 2005, 00:04   #44
GReaper
The BOFH

Planetarion has been around for 4-5 years and no portal has survived more than a couple of rounds. We'll see what happens with this one.
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 00:35   #45
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixxard
I can assure you (and do everything in my power) that next round will see a whole new portal. A new splash and the Jumpgate.
Fortunately this is not a statement that has been made for 6 or 7 rounds in a row, nor was I myself promised that we would have a graphically attractive portal shortly after the start of this round, when I pointed out that we had reversed to what is the worst portal Planetarion has ever seen in it's entire history
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 00:49   #46
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef!
ugh you mean your going to take away the nice current portal graphics?

*cries*

i want my round 3 skin for next round blixxard, or i'll hunt you down!
are you being sarcastic or...? the current portal isn't very 'nice', neither was the round3 skin all that..heh
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 01:14   #47
wakey
Hamster

Theres nothing wrong with making the page at www.planetarion.com look nice but at the same time whats the point of a nice looking page that is of no intrest to anyone and doesnt really serve any kind of service. Current players have no use of it and potential players arent really sold by it as its not really clear what it is.

I find it hard to believe anyway that theres nothing that could be being done instead, be it getting input on the graphics from others and using that to improve them or any of the other tasks that seemingly take up so much of PATeams time that they dont have time to do much community management. And frankly how long is it goig to continue that your going to flog this dead horse. With the jumpgate site being developed its not the perfect time to make this change produce something useful, move resources to where they are useful and increase the use in the more useful areas of planetarion. If its not taken now we no doubt resign the game to a r13 with more redesigns for a r14 portal being done and no doubt many more redesigns through the rounds to come
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 01:23   #48
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

what's this jumpgate site?
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 01:35   #49
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
what's this jumpgate site?
Well i'm only going from this thread but it would seem to me to be the kind of thing any kind of portal for the game should be, a basic introduction to the game primary for potential players. It would include a brief intro to the game, screenshot and feature lists

Its very much like my alternative site structure (ie the way SS has it) BUT even more focused on introducing the game to potentalplayers rather than the SS structure which acts more like a launcpad to the various useful areas of the game
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 11:54   #50
djcomplex
The Usualsuspects

djcomplex will become famous soon enoughdjcomplex will become famous soon enough

New players dont want to read through the crap that infests the portal, have a nice simple splash page which wont put off anyone.

afaik the only people who ever wanted a portal were the pa team who were obsessed with it when it serves no real purpose. Annoucements on the forums was always the way to go as it lead to players getting into the forum conversations and would often draw them furthur into the community.

anyways www.useit.com a great site for website usability perhaps someone from the pa team could have a skim through it.
djcomplex is offline   Reply With Quote