User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 31 Dec 2004, 15:53   #1
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
The Planetarion Wiki

Crossposted on AD.

It is my pleasure to make public the Planetarion Wiki.

What is a wiki?
A wiki is a system for organizing large amounts of information. A wiki allows almost every page to be edited by anyone using any webbrowser. The wiki software we use supports a simple syntax (wikicode) somewhat similar to vbcode for linking between pages and for general markup purposes.

What is PAWiki?
PAWiki is a wiki set up specifically for Planetarion. It is meant as a resource independant of PAteam, alliances, skill and social network. It is my hope that PAWiki will encompass material similar to that on Scouse' Caeneus page, the official manual and more. Perhaps in time it can hold strategy articles and newbie guides as well.

But there's almost nothing there!
The pages that have been filled out so far are mostly done by myself or some of the few people who have been let in a bit early to help out. This information is meant to be a seed from which the site can grow and flourish. You can help PAWiki by editing a page you find lacking or starting a new page.

Do I have to register?
Some actions require registering, but the most important one (editing a page) doesn't. Just be aware that your IP address will show up instead of your username if you aren't logged in when you edit a page.

Got IRC?
We (well, just me mostly these days) idle in #pawiki on netgamers. If you have any questions here would be a good place to ask them.

There's nothing about Round 13 there!
Better add something then!

What does this have to do with PD?
Many of the pages in the terminology category link to dead pages (by default these links show up as red rather than blue). For example, the arbiter page links to 'intel' which is an empty page. In addition the current pages cover only a bare minimum of terminology and game mechanics information. For example, the current stats are available, but combat is only described partially on the page about different ship types.

Please help fill out these articles so PAWiki can be a worthwhile resource
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 18:49   #2
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
Re: The Planetarion Wiki

how do you sign up?
how do you add stuff to the terminology? i was gonig to write some pages on irc, but couldn't see a way to create a catagory :/

[edit] found the login thingy. still a little lost tho, and don't want to add stuff in the wrong place :/ [/edit]

-mist

Last edited by mist; 31 Dec 2004 at 18:57.
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 18:53   #3
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

For signup theres a link in the top right corner i believe

To add something the easiest way i've found is

type http://www.clawofdarkness.com/pawiki/index.php/ into the browser
after the last /
Type the term you want to add and then hit edit

For example http://www.clawofdarkness.com/pawiki/index.php/l33t

Just remember to add
[[Category:Terminology]]
at the end of the article
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 18:54   #4
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Starting_a_new_page

Effectively you type in the address you want, click edit and start typing. Every possible wiki page already exists, it just hasn't been edited yet
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 19:14   #5
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

ah, hitting edit on one of the existing pages makes it much clearer \o/
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 19:30   #6
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
how do you sign up?
how do you add stuff to the terminology? i was gonig to write some pages on irc, but couldn't see a way to create a catagory :/

[edit] found the login thingy. still a little lost tho, and don't want to add stuff in the wrong place :/ [/edit]

-mist
Feel free to just add a page. Adding category is done by adding the [[Category:Terminology]] link at the bottom. If you're unsure what category a page should go in, add the page and use the talk page (or the IRC channel) to discuss where others think it should go.

Logging in/signing up is at the top right corner.

Edit: Beaten by Wakey.
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 20:02   #7
mist
Jolt's best friend

i've put the [[Catagory:IRC]] link thingy at the bottom, but when i go to the irc catagory there's no listing like there is, for example, for the alliances catagory.
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 20:04   #8
mist
Jolt's best friend

also, is there a way to put a # at the start of a link that doesn't cause problems?

i tried to create a section for #planetarion, but i think it sees it as a page jump point instead?

thanks muchly
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 20:07   #9
Banned
Banned

I've used hashpawiki for the #pawiki page. As for the Category, it looks to me that you created the page Category:IRC before linking to it, which creates problems. I'll have a look at it tomorrow. Generally though, use the [[Category:Foo]] link to create the category, then follow and fill in text at the top.
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 20:08   #10
mist
Jolt's best friend

i created the catagory page once i'd gone there from the link i made on the IRC page, when i realised nothing was there. i was hoping that if i put the bit at the top, like the alliances page, it'd sort out the rest for me
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 20:24   #11
Banned
Banned

Quote:
i created the catagory page once i'd gone there from the link i made on the IRC page, when i realised nothing was there. i was hoping that if i put the bit at the top, like the alliances page, it'd sort out the rest for me
Odd, it should have done just that. Oh caught it, you misspelled Category ;p

I'd edit it but someone else is busy with the IRC page. Also, I saw you were editing the Planetarion's link to say [[Planetarion|Planetarion's]], the form you used first is the prefered form, so I've overridden your edit on that.
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 21:23   #12
mist
Jolt's best friend

oh, ok. i thought having the 's outside the link made it look ugly.

how does the system deal with two people editing a page at the same time? as i might well have broken stuff you did :/

capitolisation of page names being important is kinda confusing when you're simply writing stuff. i'm not sure why the system doesn't lcase them all.

-mist

Last edited by mist; 31 Dec 2004 at 21:29.
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 21:27   #13
Banned
Banned

Quote:
how does the system deal with two people editing a page at the same time? as i might well have broken stuff you did :/
It copes quite well, if the page is edited while one has it open, the wiki shows a warning and asks which of the changes you want to keep etc.

Edit: Also, it looks like 's isn't treated as plural s (ie not included in the link name). Dunno which is better in that case.
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 22:07   #14
mist
Jolt's best friend

having poked it a little, this works really well. would be nice if it prompted for a catagory if you didn't put one in, to stop pages getting a little lost, but that's about the only gripe and it's a rather small one.

is it possible to put a list of catagories on the menu?
also, is it possible to do sub categories? all the various Alliences:Round XX and the Round XX categories seem a little ott somehow? i'd have quite like to be able to put stuff in sub catagories for the irc stuff as well, for instance keeping all the channels together.

that said, this seems like a hugely positive step. nice one jester.
has anyone asked pa about stealing parts of the current manual for it? seems kinda silly to
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 22:18   #15
Banned
Banned

Quote:
having poked it a little, this works really well. would be nice if it prompted for a catagory if you didn't put one in, to stop pages getting a little lost, but that's about the only gripe and it's a rather small one.
http://www.clawofdarkness.com/pawiki...al:Lonelypages

Dunno if that works entirely how I think it should work, but it's good enough for me.

See also:

http://www.clawofdarkness.com/pawiki...tegorizedpages

Quote:
is it possible to put a list of catagories on the menu?
http://www.clawofdarkness.com/pawiki...ial:Categories

It should be possible to add a link to that, but myself or Eol (who has elevated access) may have to do it. I'll look into it.

Quote:
also, is it possible to do sub categories? all the various Alliences:Round XX and the Round XX categories seem a little ott somehow?
Yes, it's possible. Eol and I had a long discussion about how to best organize the categories and we found out that having 'Alliances:Round XX' was the best way. The reason for this being that 'Round 12' can't really be a sub-category to Alliances.

Quote:
i'd have quite like to be able to put stuff in sub catagories for the irc stuff as well, for instance keeping all the channels together.
If you add [[Category:Foo]] to the text of Category:Bar, Bar becomes a subcategory of Foo

Quote:
that said, this seems like a hugely positive step. nice one jester.
Glad you liked it. Eol deserves credit for the the idea and a lot of the seed pages (especially alliance pages). He and I also spent a long time discussing the best way to categorize things. In the end we decided that we'd rather have good category pages than a good list of categories, which leads to stuff like the 'Alliances:Round Foo' categories, which on a list seem over the top, but by themselves are quite useful.

Quote:
has anyone asked pa about stealing parts of the current manual for it? seems kinda silly to
No, and for this reason I've avoided doing any outright copying. I've used the manual as a reference and inspiration many places, but made sure I've used my own formulations. I'm quite sure Eol has on the Terminology pages he's written as well.
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 22:51   #16
mist
Jolt's best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by banned
Yes, it's possible. Eol and I had a long discussion about how to best organize the categories and we found out that having 'Alliances:Round XX' was the best way. The reason for this being that 'Round 12' can't really be a sub-category to Alliances.
you can't do something like:

Code:
 Rounds          Alliances
   |                 |
   |                 |
Round X ---- Round X Alliances
so that it's accessable via two routes?
i don't think i quite follow what you mean

-mist
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 00:03   #17
Banned
Banned

Quote:
you can't do something like:

Code:
 Rounds          Alliances
   |                 |
   |                 |
Round X ---- Round X Alliances
so that it's accessable via two routes?
i don't think i quite follow what you mean

-mist
The problem here would be that the 'Alliances' category would be useless for actually displaying alliances. (Or you could make it include both alliances and the subcategories.)
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 00:23   #18
mist
Jolt's best friend

rounds -> round X -> round X alliances -> alliance1, alliance 2 etc
alliances -> alliance 1, alliance 2, alliance 3 alliance 4 etc

where alliance 1 and 2 are from round X, but 3 and 4 arn't

round X alliances could be a section of a page, rather than a catagory, but you get the idea, i hope. didn't explain it too well before

-mist
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 01:36   #19
Banned
Banned

Ah, but what you describe now is still possible. It's probably the Right way of doing things as well.
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 04:11   #20
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: The Planetarion Wiki

Looks like a positive step forward.

I have the R2-R6 ship stats if anyone wants to copy them in to the Wiki.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 06:36   #21
Banned
Banned

Sticky = kiss of death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
I have the R2-R6 ship stats if anyone wants to copy them in to the Wiki.
Thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

I've also reorganized the todo page a bit so that people who have a good idea for something that should be added, but either don't know how or don't have the time or inclination to contribute directly can add it to the requests area and hope someone who does, will.

I'd also like to thank everyone who's contributed so far, and PAteam for gracefully allowing us to use material from the manual.
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 06:47   #22
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

i'll have a go at doing something for it when i find the time to
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 13:53   #23
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Sticky = kiss of death.
Now that one thread is stickied and one thread not stickied the internet won't know what to do!
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 15:00   #24
alch
Retired

alch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud of

banned, if you need logo or some graphics, give me a sign.
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 15:22   #25
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alch
banned, if you need logo or some graphics, give me a sign.
http://www.clawofdarkness.com/pawiki...hp/PAWiki:Logo

Just for you. And everyone else that doesn't like MAd's MS Paint skillz.
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 19:09   #26
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

hey man my paint roxors!

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 19:32   #27
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

im so impressed by this wiki thingy

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote