User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 31 Dec 2004, 08:21   #1
Troglodyte

Troglodyte is an unknown quantity at this point
PA is still STALE.

I came back after rounds 3 and 4 to check things out so to speak. I opened an account late in this round only to be bounced from one inactive gal to the next, getting bashed from time to time.

The game relies on you being active as possible, to spend your life on IRC. Anyone with half a brain will realize that gamers are eventually not going to be able to keep up with the time demands.

I tried to post some suggestions on the forums but they kept on being slated on how to spice up the game, change the status quo, and get people thinking outside the box. But that pretty much didn’t happen.

In my opinion the major things that need to change:
1)Time demands too high. Off the top of my head, Making longer flight periods just for attackers like 24 ticks 48 on weekends something like that, allow you to set up adequate defence for your planet. Automated activities. WHATEVER … I don’t really care about making suggestions now but something needs to make this game less time demanding and still have a competitive planet. maybe the game is just supposed to be for scholars and students and i'm just wasting my time thinking that there is place for the working / family ppl.
2)Balance the universe. Get real guys, there are approx 4000 accounts, the difference between the top player and the top 100 player is more than double and there are still 3900 planets after that. Do you think that this is a balanced universe? (rhetorical question)
3)I know this is a tough but it will need to be addressed sooner or later. Making
planets / gals more competitive that does not belong to an alliance. People, who don’t have IRC access, don’t have the time to spend that much time online but still want to be competitive.

Last edited by Troglodyte; 6 Jan 2005 at 10:12.
Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 12:16   #2
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: PA is still STALE.

This doesnt appear to be a quit thread so i'll move it from this board. I'll stick it on PD for now seeing as it isnt exactly a suggestions thread either.
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 13:12   #3
ils

ils is an unknown quantity at this point

mm, I like the idea, but one hour tick is slow enough. and combat 3 ticks is ok. Making the universe more balanced would be cool, but then it doesn't pay of to be active... And I'm a student and work too and I stil find time to this game( and yes I do have a social life).

I guess you need to find another game:/ If you can't spend some hours online everyday.
*Comander of DreamTeam*
EvoL and Dream to tha Bone
ils is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 14:28   #4
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

You are such an idiot Troglodyte, just because your ideas werent warmly received you have a hissy fit and throw your toys out of the pram. The reason your ideas were slated was that on the whole they were shit in the form you were presenting them.

Your ideas may very well have had some good intentions and you may have thought you were thinking out of the box BUT infact they were generally flawed and were stock suggestions that have been suggested hundreds of times before. Anyone posting such things would have received the same responce from the community and your no different.

Also what you fail to realise is very few ideas ever start out as a perfect diamond, they start out as rough peices of carbon that need evolved into something tangiable and then need their flaws filed out and the edges smoothed to give something workable

So in future please refrain from throwing these hissy fits just because people dont all come out and support an idea totally ignoring all the flaws and knock on effects

Now onto some of your ideas on here

3) What your missing here is the fact that PA is infact a very simple game which on its own is never going to stand up. Its selling point (just like most MMOG's) is the community. This hence means people being part of the communities found in the game is vital, if they try and play solo you simply cant expect to get the best experiance out of a MMOG. MMORPG's get around this problem by having the community communication side as part of the game but a browser based game cant do this in the same way which leaves IRC as one of the few alternatives as a primary form of communication and community building (forums can go some of the way but are ineffective on the whole in a game like this, things like MSN are too 1 on 1 - yes i know you can have more than one person in a chat but its certainly not ideal - and things like pamail andf email are just too 1 on 1 and cumbersome. IRC is one of the few methods around that offers the kind of communication this game needs. If players arent willing to take part in the community side then they may as well go and play a single player game which is more complex and hence allows for fun on your own

1) Its all well and good saying "increase attack time to give more time for defence" but again you ahvent though about this have you. You either have to also increase defence times thus you dont achieve anything or you amke defence so bloody easy that no-one ever gets an attack through which just stagnates the game (especially with attacks taking 24 or 48 hours to land as thats 48 or 96 hours that your ships are tied up). Your either just going to see the same situation as your still have a small defence window so still need to be very active or your going to allow us all to have sleep BUT have a round ahve to last about 12 months to get anything constructive out of it.

As for automated features the problem is there that it encourages players not to login and reduces the community aspect so where do you stop at making things automated. Take auto launches for example, from one pov they have been great but community wise its been a bit of a killer. At this point the benifits are probally just about enough to make it worthwhile but the further you go down this path the more damage you do and the less the benift becomes

2) The universe will never be balanced. Theres a rule that pretty much applies to most things in this world, this being the 80/20 rule. This basically states that 80 percent of wealth/power/score or whatever you want to place here will down to the top 20% and vise versa. So in a country 80% of the total wealth of that country belongs to the top 20% and when it comes to the game the top 20% will account for something like 80% of the score. Unless the games gonna intervene and every so often remove score from the top and give it to the bottom so everyones equal i dont see how your going to ever change this. Rather what needs to be looked at is trying to make the game fun at all levels and to achieve this we really need to make the game more competative at all levels. There are various ways that this can be done but those arent suitable for this forum.

Anyway basically you cant expect to be competative if you dont put in the effort. Its like expecting to be able to play at the highest level of football and win the top honours if you cba to ever turn up to training or the lesser matches. People need to be realitic and rather than looking to win they need to look to just make the game more fun lower down (which while some people may think this is the same it isnt)
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 14:45   #5
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte
2) Balance the universe. Get real guys, there are approx 4000 accounts, the difference between the top player and the top 100 player is more than double and there are still 3900 planets after that. Do you think that this is a balanced universe? (rhetorical question)
What?

That is a pathetic point, hell it's not even a point. The universe is "balanced" at the start, how one grows is entirely dependant on numerous variables. So in that aspect yes, the universe is balanced. Shipstats in r12 however ...
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 16:46   #6
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
What?

That is a pathetic point, hell it's not even a point. The universe is "balanced" at the start, how one grows is entirely dependant on numerous variables. So in that aspect yes, the universe is balanced. Shipstats in r12 however ...
...were better than in r11, atleast IMO. I should understand that slightly, I played zik, then xan...

I'd like to echo the sentiments already given. 24 or 48 hour attack times. How many new players are going to enjoy sitting around a whole day for an attack to land? And how long do you get to get defence. Same as normal (which would be exactly the same, as otherwise the new players just have longer to sit there waiting to be smashed), or a longer time period, which would favour the more active alliances who have DCs/tools sitting around willing to, and capable of, organising defence over a sustained period of time.

And everyone starts off equal, generally the best alliance and players within those alliances will get to the top. Players who show commitment will usually be accepted into decent alliances/get a group of mates for a decent buddypack etc,meaning they'll tend to perform better and better (With luck, next round I might have a decent gal from the start for once )
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 17:17   #7
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

r12 stats were not even close in-terms of "balance" to r11's.
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 17:30   #8
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
r12 stats were not even close in-terms of "balance" to r11's.
TBH alot of it depends on personal experiance. Most people get their idea of whats balanced or not from playing the game. So even if mathamatically they are perfectly balaced alot of people wont notice because they either dont have the mathamatical know how or time and patience to realise. And as i'm sure we are all aware balanced stats mathamatically dont always mean it balanced as race distribution plays a part. So its perfectly understanable that it seems more balanced this round than it did last round for some people
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 17:37   #9
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

It's not very hard to see that r11 stats were very much better than r12 stats. That being said I worked as an MO parts of r11, so I had to deal with all races. Stats were quite decent, not too hard to fix.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Linkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 17:53   #10
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
...were better than in r11, atleast IMO. I should understand that slightly, I played zik, then xan...

)

your opinion is wrong
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 18:19   #11
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkie
It's not very hard to see that r11 stats were very much better than r12 stats. That being said I worked as an MO parts of r11, so I had to deal with all races. Stats were quite decent, not too hard to fix.
I MOd in both rounds. That said, I cheated very often against the annoying roach/widow/cr fleets by getting attacked with bombers and deffing with clippers, or bolts for zik incs.

Also, the fact that last round, a stupid % of the top100 were xan (60? 70? 80?) whilst this round the spread was 22/12/30/36 going cat/ter/xan/zik. It's still far from perfect (Terrans only getting 12% whilst having most players is bad, mmk. Even though they are, IMO, an excellent attacking race.), but I felt happier this round, and I was playing the race that supposedly got 'nerfed'
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 18:44   #12
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

if you knew stuff you'd realise that xan was overly SHIT if you never managed to grow to anything more than a medium planet.

Xan basicly had very few alternatives to either flooding Caths/zik with FR or attacking terrans with pulsars/sents.

the problem obviously was that either way, xan was guaranteed to take substantial losses unless the target had a really shitty fleet, hence raising the need to tag-team in order to make the roids semi-worthwhile.

Terrans were shit this round, only useful shipclass they had were DE.

Ziks were overpowered, as were Cath's.

I cba filling in relevant info as you all know Im speaking the truth and Im on my way to the shower
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 03:32   #13
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

tbh whilst some of your sugestions were bad. some were, not so bad, if not fully formed. and at least provoked some constructive discussion. whilst i agree a round or 2 of playing might have made you rethink some of your posts i think it was nice to have a n00b face on the forums (no offence intended).

new blood, and new ideas in a "stale" community can not be bad

and whilst i agree with most of wakeys points they could've been put in a more tactful manner (personally i thought calling someone an idiot and the word shit were not acceptable on forums ((remember who could be reading)))

what do posts like this do to increase the community? personally i find it discraceful

i for one will miss you

g/l with r/l and whatever
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 04:29   #14
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney
(personally i thought calling someone an idiot and the word shit were not acceptable on forums ((remember who could be reading)))
wakey's one of the mods, so i guess they're allowed last i heard, jolt still hadn't figured out how to stop the dubious banners, so they can hardly complain.

that asside, ordinarily i'd agree, however here comes a point when you run out of 'nice' words to describe how bad something is, and some of trog's posts have been quite bad.

the problem is that he appears to mean well, but doesn't seem to think through the concequences and circumstances of his ideas very well. this results in a low quality post, which tends to annoy people.

-mist
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 05:00   #15
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Well, it's pretty obvious you haven't played since r3-4, no offence. A LOT of things have changed since then. The game has become a lot more high activity amed, namely dew to the smaller core member base nowadays cause of P2P. In my opinion activity should be rewarded, if a n00b who has never played can do just as good as me and is ten times less active on irc then is it fair? The more you put into the game the more you get out of it.
I've played for all rounds but this down in the low ranked alliances/planets and had a great time all of them, what needs to be improved is the competition between the smaller alliances, and that they DO compete, we actually saw a decent ammount of that this round which was cool to see.

About the 24 hr attack time.... wtf??????? It's hard enough getting an attack through as it is. Maybe an idea would be to raise the bash limit to 50 or 60%, or something I just thought of, putting an alliance bash limit is. If the total score of an alliance in below a certain percentage of the one your in, you can't attack ppl from that alliances, that would save small alliances from bashes, also their larger members, so they can keep competing against eachother.

Just my two cents.
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Orion Treet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 11:17   #16
Hellcat

Hellcat is an unknown quantity at this point

Vice-versa..

Is it fair that a n00b who spends all day on his PC should do better than a seasoned player who is at work 10 hours a day, spending a couple of hours at most on PA?

Just because he's active doesn't mean hes got better tactics/fleet composition/battle calc skills.

PA - Reward activity or skill?
Hellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 13:00   #17
jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
Also, the fact that last round, a stupid % of the top100 were xan (60? 70? 80?) whilst this round the spread was 22/12/30/36 going cat/ter/xan/zik. It's still far from perfect (Terrans only getting 12% whilst having most players is bad, mmk. Even though they are, IMO, an excellent attacking race.), but I felt happier this round, and I was playing the race that supposedly got 'nerfed'
To cut to the point, no, your wrong. Just plain wrong.

The reasons why xand had an advantage lastround:
Most of the uni was terrans and therefore, xand's best picking on race, who cutely enough were best early-mid round, had gotten extremely fatroiding the low amounts of ziks/caths and ofcourse xands who hadn't had time to build pulsars yet. Moving onto mid-late round, xanda's fr/de fleet were developing and could simply outgun the terrans np so - with easy roids coming in from terrans and ziks/caths not being in enough numbers to harm xandas - xands had an easy coasting.

This round, early round, cath and terran could roid **** all, ziks had an easy run with their co fleet being able to roid every single race, xands could primarily roid terrans, but the terrans suddenly dried up then targets for xand vanished as their attacking options were extremely limited. Zikonians continued their attacking spree with ofc, their BS, but by this time, cath had their de/cr fleet developing and fired upon ziks/xands (funnily enough the two fattest races at this point in the round) just in the manner xand done to terrans in the previous round. Moving swiftly on, terrans could ONLY roid themselves or cathaars - now remember terrans were already damn dry and there were only a few amount of caths around, hence only the few terrans who managed to get roids were actually successful as there werent enough targets around for a lot of big terrans. Same ofcourse goes for xanda, the limitations in roiding capabilities for xandathrii and terrans had damaged the races significantly enough to NOTE THEM AS 'NERFED'. The only way the terran could roid was to force-flak through - and yet nevertheless
at a usually expensive rate on xands or hope for no defence on ziks/caths to scrounge through with their fr.

To paste from a list I made early round whilst discussing what races my gal should go (we should've gone 3 caths+2ziks but we went 2 caths+2ziks+1xand)

race strength/weakness - excluding teaming up:

terrans(avoid) -
strengths
fr-fleet > terrans
de > cath
mass-fr > cath
mass-fr > ziks with not many corsairs

weakness
cath cr/de(+scarab)
xand fi/co
xand fi/co/fr
zik co/fr

cathaar -
strengths
fr/de fleet - widows+roaches+mass-fr > other caths
de/cr fleet - sacrifice a few scarabs to freeze hydras + de/cr > terrans, assuming they don`t have too many hydras thus you don`t have to sacrifice too many scarabs
- mass-cr > outflak scarabs thus caths = roided
- roaches+widows+scorpions+hornets > xands
- roaches+widow+mass-cr > ziks

weaknesses
mass-gryph+cerb - defendable by arrows/broads/corsairs
drake+minotaur - mass-cutter/pulsar def
roaches+widows+mass-fr - arrows/corsairs
mass-cathcr - bombers*/pirates/scarabs -> reduced to only pirates if cath cr+de = inc
mass-bs - bolts*/maurs/widows
mass-xand fr- corsair/drake/clipper
mass-zik co - tarants/buccaneers/lancers(no go really.)

xandathrii
strengths
sentinel+pulsar+dagger > terrans
mass-fi > zik pre-rogues
mass-fr > cath pre-guardian
sentinel+pulsar+bolt+sabre > terrans

weaknesses
roaches+scorps+hornets - pirates
cutlass+priv - tarants*/buccs/thieves/lancer(no go really.)
bucc+cutter+priv+cutlass - broads+guardians*
mass-bs - RUN BROADS SO BS DON`T SUB EM ETC!11 / widows/maurauders/bombers
cutlass+cutter+clipper+raider+rogue+raider - widows/mass-xandfr/maurauders - must make sure bombers arent home though

zikonian
strengths
cutlass+priv > xand pre-lancer
bucc+cutter+cutlass+priv > xand pre-broads
cutter+mass-co > terrans pre-dragons
mass-bs > zik
cutter+bucc+clipper+maur+pirate+rogue+raider > terran ---- too straining on def fleet etc though
rogue+pirate+raider > xand if they noob and leave broads home but risk+++
cutlass+cutter+clipper+raider+rogue+raider > xand -- too straining again..

weaknesses
widow+cath cr - bombers/scarabs -- but include roaches in attacking fleet then def with pulsars+cutters and kill all de to increase cost etc
mass-xand fi - rogues/dreadnought/spider
mass-zik co - bucc/tarants/thieves
mass-zik bs - widows/bolts*
mass-terr fr - enough roaches/clips to freeze/sub and/or corsair/arrows
cath scorp+fr pod - arrows/clips etc (assuming target don't have clips home)

*important as they kill basically.

note the variation of roiding possibilities within the different racesand ofcourse the possibilites of being roided.

Last edited by _ryzekiel_; 1 Jan 2005 at 13:32.
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 13:27   #18
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Blixxard is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my.
Blixxard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 16:18   #19
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light

Both sets sucked(imho). Stats are overly aggressive(but that's just my point of view). Sid stick to manipulating game mechanics to make his alliance win and Phil^ stick to coding, get real stats-experts to do the stats. The old wolves of #strategy would be a good place to start looking, though then again, since they have largely allways been ignored we now find that most of the old guys have quit a long time ago. Perhaps someone should of listened to them when they were still around? *g* /rant

And I hate jer for posting links into channels.
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 16:26   #20
jerome

Sid is a real stats-expert;)

and you don't hate me, im too loveable to be hated:(
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 21:50   #21
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of

There has never been stats better than those of R11, and if any of you sorry asses are capable of doing them better than Sid, I offer $5 and a piece of cheese.

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 22:59   #22
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
and whilst i agree with most of wakeys points they could've been put in a more tactful manner (personally i thought calling someone an idiot and the word shit were not acceptable on forums ((remember who could be reading)))
its only nasty when it isnt true

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 00:05   #23
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Tzu
Both sets sucked(imho). Stats are overly aggressive(but that's just my point of view). Sid stick to manipulating game mechanics to make his alliance win
I think you're bitter because what you posted goes to show you honestly don't know what you're on about. R11 stats were far superior to R12 stats.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 01:21   #24
wakey
Hamster

Quote:

what do posts like this do to increase the community? personally i find it discraceful

i for one will miss you

g/l with r/l and whatever
Lets just make things clear here, I wasnt calling him an idiot for his ideas. Theres nothing wrong with 'shit' ideas because as I said in my post here alot of ideas start out as extreamly poor ideas and either get improved or see the discussion produce another idea from it which is much better.

The sole reason I called him an idiot was his attitude, he came onto these forums expecting everyone to think he was an all seeing PA god whos every idea was perfect and was the key to PA's revival. Then when he didnt get the responce he wanted he went around and deleted everyone of his threads 'losing' other disucssions which could have been useful. To make matters worse he even deleted a bunch of threads such as the "average age of pa players" which had nothing to do with suggestions he had made.

Now in my books anyone who wastes peoples time in reading and writing on their threads only to delete the thread doesnt deserve any respect from anyone in this community. And to make matters worse anyone who wastes my time by forcing me to have to go and undelete a whole host of threads certainly wont get my respect . Especialy when this person then redeletes them a few hours later making me undelete them again.

And one last thing remember that its people of this kind of background id like to see more of on these forums as the make up is too much in favour of the bigger players BUT when these people are like Troglodyte then this community is better off without them because they arent actually bothered about making the game better, all they are bothered about is making themselves feel important
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 01:24   #25
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zh|l
I think you're bitter because what you posted goes to show you honestly don't know what you're on about. R11 stats were far superior to R12 stats.
indeed, as others have said here (i think - only had time to skim) it was the balance of races that was the problem in round 11. The stats were actually pretty good, IF you assume about 25% of planets pick each race...
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 02:34   #26
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

I have the up most respect for Wakey.

Troglodyte please think before you post threads. Take time out to read past suggestions. You get a better idea of what the general consensus is with your idea. If you have a suggestion; research, think it out, write in a presentable fashion and post it.

I know that Phil^ worked pretty hard on the stats and from what I personally saw in beta is that it all seemed to work well. Even though there were a few changes. I am sure we will try next round to bring the best set of stats possible.
It is hard to please everyone. A number of people complained last round about Sid doing the stats to suit his alliance. This round we took the decision to create them internally and test them in private and open beta. Nothing has been confirmed for next round yet, but I am sure we will use every means possible to produce ‘better’ stats.
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 02:40   #27
jerome

I wonder who gets to decide who's "worthy" of helping with the stats, and how that's decided.
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 03:05   #28
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

isn't it simple? you need to be an expert on pa stats who never talks to anyone who plays pa. then everyone'll be happy.

-mist
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 03:20   #29
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
isn't it simple? you need to be an expert on pa stats who never talks to anyone who plays pa. then everyone'll be happy.

-mist
sshhh we all know Geoff reads these forums and you might give him ideas After all he certainly doesnt speak to anyone in the community and the fact he owns the game he could probally argue that in some way or other hes a pa 'expert'
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 03:29   #30
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

I have one word to add to this discussion on stats and then you all need to be quiet and realise it's not as bad as it was.

and the word is: Zokum

now move along folks..... nothing to see here.... move along.....

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 03:36   #31
mist
Jolt's best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
sshhh we all know Geoff reads these forums and you might give him ideas After all he certainly doesnt speak to anyone in the community and the fact he owns the game he could probally argue that in some way or other hes a pa 'expert'
at least it'd give something new to complain about, rather than the 'sid was baised' and 'phil was crap' lines, which frankly are getting a bit old.
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 03:55   #32
I am Idler
This is bat country

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAdnRisKy
I have one word to add to this discussion on stats and then you all need to be quiet and realise it's not as bad as it was.

and the word is: Zokum

now move along folks..... nothing to see here.... move along.....

when Zokum was around, atleast there were admins that listened to others aswell
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 07:04   #33
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Idler
when Zokum was around, atleast there were admins that listened to others aswell
Round 4 anyone?
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 12:15   #34
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Quote:
I wonder who gets to decide who's "worthy" of helping with the stats, and how that's decided.
PaTeam do.
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 21:59   #35
I am Idler
This is bat country

luckily, being member of the PATeam does in no way represent quality these days
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 22:56   #36
Obique

Obique is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am a returnee from earlier rounds and much has changed, high activity was always a pre-requisite for the more discerning alliances, and we always had to get up at stupid ‘o’clock to send fleets out or to set of the next phase of construction.

Not much change there then!

Maybe we could have a construction queue? Similar to the way production works, you queue a couple of constructions, payment is taken at the point of order and a 20% penalty is charged for a change of mind, similar to production

As far as being a small fish in a big pond, you have to find new ways to measure your success, at least until the PA Team finds ways! Either that or quit the game.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though chequered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat
T.F. Roosevelt
Obique is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 02:08   #37
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Idler
luckily, being member of the PATeam does in no way represent quality these days
Yeah..errr...Thanks.
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 02:28   #38
mist
Jolt's best friend

as i'm aware none of the pateam hold any quallifications for what they do, so can only be judged on their performance.

if that seems like an insult/attack, then you should probably question why.
-mist
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 02:46   #39
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
as i'm aware none of the pateam hold any quallifications for what they do, so can only be judged on their performance.

if that seems like an insult/attack, then you should probably question why.
-mist
Wait a min! I have a GCSE and a AS-level in Art! I glued bits of paper together and made them into a pretty shape. I am quallified.

Nope no insult/attack
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 02:49   #40
mist
Jolt's best friend

is this some form of admission that the PA graphics were done using the cut and paste authoring technique?
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 05:05   #41
biffy
Jolt PA Liaison

biffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the rough

blixxard = rumbled
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 08:09   #42
Troglodyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Now in my books anyone who wastes peoples time in reading and writing on their threads only to delete the thread doesnt deserve any respect from anyone in this community.
Get off your high horse… What do you accept me to do? Everyone slates the ideas so I remove them. Isn’t that what you want??? You WIN …congratulations, you have successfully stopped any new comers from making suggestions. Well done.

I cant believe PA has been reduced to simpletons who sit on their high throne’s and cast judgment on nOOb's who are only trying to make suggestions. Bad suggestions or not they are still suggestions and correct me if I’m wrong isn’t that what forums are all about

There are all threads about how PA is diminishing and you come on to the scene and call people idiots. . It takes a lot of courage to stand up and make suggestions and it takes little or no brain power to slate ppl. That’s UTTERLY DISGRACEFUL! If I was joining the game now and saw how the Mods treat new comers … well all I can say to the new comers is find a new game, your Ideas are not welcome here!!! Or you probably would not put it so nicely …. Something along the lines of PISS OFF would be more appropriate from you.
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 08:31   #43
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of

You where first told in a civil manner that your ideas had been suggested before, and that it was just not going to happen. Following , you burst into rage, posted some crap and closed(?) your threads before deleting them. As such, you were the digraceful one, and deserve no pity.

-TheRat

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 08:43   #44
Troglodyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRat
You where first told in a civil manner that your ideas had been suggested before, and that it was just not going to happen. Following , you burst into rage, posted some crap and closed(?) your threads before deleting them. As such, you were the digraceful one, and deserve no pity.

-TheRat

Which suggestions ...when ....where ... WHAT civil manner . They never said that in the suggestion's. go look it up . why not just say, ' We have had the suggestion before and this was the outcome, why result to slating?'

As for burst into rage... yes would'nt you be a bit peeved if you were called idoit and the like. And all i was doing was making suggestions, if they felt so disgusted by the suggestion, just ignore it. It would eventually creep down the ladder and be forgotten.

if i called you a shit for brains, no good wanker who eats soup with his feet. If you can remain calm and collect .... well then you are a better man than I.

(For the record… maybe I was being a bit childish to delete the threads but damn I was peeved. I honestly thought no-one would even give a continental ...)

Last edited by Troglodyte; 3 Jan 2005 at 09:17.
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 09:31   #45
I am Idler
This is bat country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte
Get off your high horse… What do you accept me to do? Everyone slates the ideas so I remove them. Isn’t that what you want??? You WIN …congratulations, you have successfully stopped any new comers from making suggestions. Well done.

your ideas were awful from the word "24 hour attacks"

there are sensible discussions going on from time to time in "suggestions", where even half decent ideas gets a decent runthrough.

This however, just was plain awful and had no possible way of improving PA, you cant expect gratitude for garbage, nomatter how good the intentions
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 10:04   #46
Troglodyte

I don’t require any gratitude. I think my main concern is how people just keep saying, nope that’s a crap idea and end it there… that’s all dandy but WHY?????????????????????

Why is 24 Hours attacks bad, why is this thread utter garbage?, what are your motivating factors… what are your pro’s and cons, not because I said so. Do you understand the bigger picture of the suggestion? Can you think of ways to improve the suggestion or alternative suggestions? Do you agree perhaps that people do have to spend too much time on PA to have a competitive planet or not ? and Why or do you not agree with this statement and why ? ….. do u see where I’m going with this

It pisses me off when ppl respond like this. “this thread has no hope…or bad idea… or please stop posting stupid suggestions” and then they never say WHY it’s a bad suggestions. There is no rebuttal if ppl just slate the idea.

How can you build on an idea if you don’t justify the reasons for a bad idea. I have no problem with people disagreeing …that’s how ideas develop.
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 10:21   #47
I am Idler
This is bat country

24 hour attacks are horrible because it wil TAKE AGES FOR A FLEET TO LAND.
24 hour attacks are horrible because YOU WONT EVER EVER GET THROUGH ON A TARGET.
24 hour attacks are horrible because THIS GAME IS NOW ALMOST SOLELY EVOLVED AROUND IRC ACTIVITY AND AS SUCH WILL MAKE IRC A BIT LESS INTERESTING.

I understand the bigger picture but what you fail to see is that PA is and always will be dependand on a certain ammount of activity. you cant expect to stay in a competetive mode unless you are actually around to compete. PA is a realtime game, not turn based, and therein lies the entire difference.

If you want to stay competetive and not be around that much, I suggest you join LCH or Vision and sit on their fence for a bit
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 10:40   #48
Troglodyte

ok, now we are getting somewhere ..

1) How much time do you need to put into PA to be competetive ?
2) At which time limit do you decide that the game is consuming too much time ?
3) For PA to have the biggest base, what would the ideal time limit be ?
4) How much time do u put into the game ?

1- 10 hours per week
10 - 20
30- 40
50-60
70-80
80 +
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 10:47   #49
I am Idler
This is bat country

you need to put in atleast one hour.

when your exec sms's you while you're having sex, and you decide to go home and check what the incomings are

for PA to have the biggest base, you'd need a lot of free concrete, and possibly some really big starcruisers with Capt. Jean-Luc Piccard.

I put in 5 hours a week
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 10:51   #50
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think there was much wrong with r12 compared to r11.
I think the fact that Most ppl go xan think r11 stats were better but dont like this round because ppl could actually defend against xan but then again they still got to hammer the terrans but i think it was fair to have a bit of defence against xan for a change.
And as for your suggestions getting slated well yes there were pretty god damn awfull ideas
I have gave a few suggestions some slated some praised and some just ignored so yes ppl do give good feedback to on an idea and some damn abuse about an idea but i aint gonna throw my teddy just learn from what ppl say and come up with a new idea.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote