User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 May 2004, 18:01   #1
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
So what happened

What happened to the idea of trying to bring in new players (and keep them here). Is that posponed to round 12 as well? I see 100 people alliances and the most complicated shipstats ever. Add to that dynamic traveltime. Or should less skilled players like me take the increased salvage and just shut up?
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2004, 18:06   #2
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about
Re: So what happened

Didnt you know? There will be a full page ad in the back of razzle magazine... :gollum:

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
-=Zyth=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2004, 03:58   #3
Cayl

Cayl has a spectacular aura aboutCayl has a spectacular aura about

So Gerbie, have you tried Tic Tac Toe?
Unread 21 May 2004, 04:42   #4
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Zyth=-
Didnt you know? There will be a full page ad in the back of razzle magazine... :gollum:
I hear, in order to reach out to new demographics, they're gonna take out an ad in Nascar Magazine.
Unread 21 May 2004, 09:16   #5
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

the stats are still simpler than old style pa, and the eta system is better suited to less active people than it was in older rounds. A higher alliance size lmit means more players get a chance in the decent/semi-decent alliances.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2004, 09:39   #6
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The stats are pretty simple actually Gerbie. It's just a case of "which ship does each target", and then using Damage and Armour to calculate what will happen. No weapon speed, number of guns, power of each gun.

If toning down the stats and making limit on alliance numbers was the answer to getting new players, surely it would have happened in the last few rounds? Fiddling the stats to over-simplify them isn't the answer.
Unread 21 May 2004, 10:09   #7
Guran
Puppet Master

Guran will become famous soon enoughGuran will become famous soon enough

You do realize Kal that there will be 3-4 alliances at best who can reach 100 members and the rest are lucky if they can reach 70. Time will tell if this round again is dominated by those significantly larger alliances.

75 member limit would have made R11 much more interesting where skill would have counted for something.

I would be surprised if not 1up and FAnG where for the 100 limit. These two alliances who are here to help the community in various ways and are trying to get PA back on it's feets, well atleast keep their alliances biggest. You sure Kal, that you were not blackmailed into this?
Guran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2004, 11:04   #8
Jackal2112

Jackal2112 is infamous around these partsJackal2112 is infamous around these parts

my god.. can't believe im reading crap like you post Gerbie..

i have an average (IQ) most likely below average, and I can comprehend the stats.

people who prefer free fighting over PA might as well not try it.
Unread 21 May 2004, 12:48   #9
fuz

fuz is an unknown quantity at this point

why alliance limit on 100 members?
the only ones this helps is the alliances that we know will dominate round11 with 75members too.
that 100 member limit will help new players join good and ok alliance is pure bs.
fuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 00:05   #10
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

Gerbie, this game isnt for 8 year olds(well I wont be shocked if there are some out there but still)

Some sort of advanced stats etc must there be. I had no probles understanding PA without reading the manual when I started, its not much more advanced now. Why do people always want it so simple?

The reason new players aint coming is because it costs money, they cant cheat and they get smackored bang0red and pwned at once they actually find time to try it. Its a bad circle. Fewer people make smaller uni and harder to be n00b. you get it.

If it was so goddamn simple, we could rather play a 10k online Ludo game.

Read and get ready?

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 02:28   #11
Cayl

Planetarion occupies a niche market. That is, it caters to people who want to play a game, can be available at an Internet connection 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 2 months at a time (more in the past). Of those people, take people who are interested in science fiction, math, or political maneuvering. Those are your players.

Then to get them to return, you have to make sure they can re-up on their commitment to be active. So maybe people will play over the summer whilst class is out, but people go back to school, or jobs, or graduate, or get girlfriends.... there's just more out there than Planetarion, and the people who play to win have to make substantial sacrifices along those lines.

The cost isn't just 5 dollars, its also the opportunity cost of what else you could be doing while playing PA. We can't realistically lower the monetary cost, but a good start would be innovating new ways to reduce the opportunity cost of playing.

In theory
Unread 23 May 2004, 03:03   #12
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayl
Planetarion occupies a niche market. That is, it caters to people who want to play a game, can be available at an Internet connection 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 2 months at a time (more in the past). Of those people, take people who are interested in science fiction, math, or political maneuvering. Those are your players.
Don't skirt around it Cayl. We're all geeks, and that's the term for us. Let's face it :P
Unread 23 May 2004, 04:22   #13
Cayl

Playing planetarion in this fashion by definition MAKES you a geek even if you weren't already one, but not all geeks are willing to have this kind of devotion to a game, no matter how sweet it is, or how much online social acceptance they gain from it.
Unread 23 May 2004, 13:37   #14
Tomkat

Heh... so all people who play planetarion are geeks, but not all geeks can play planetarion. This calls for a Venn diagram!

Actually, the type of geeks generally who play are quite friendly and social, I've noticed. Without that social interaction, it's just a competitive game with people sending numbers to each other over a website. The discusson/argument/chat side of it is what keeps people interested on IRC mostly.
Unread 24 May 2004, 02:36   #15
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayl

Then to get them to return, you have to make sure they can re-up on their commitment to be active. So maybe people will play over the summer whilst class is out, but people go back to school, or jobs, or graduate, or get girlfriends.... there's just more out there than Planetarion, and the people who play to win have to make substantial sacrifices along those lines.

The cost isn't just 5 dollars, its also the opportunity cost of what else you could be doing while playing PA. We can't realistically lower the monetary cost, but a good start would be innovating new ways to reduce the opportunity cost of playing.

In theory
It upsets me that 1up has such an insightful member of command. Don't suppose there is any hope you guys will just fold like Phra..... a deck chair at some point?

Seriously though, that's probably one of the most concise and elegant ways of describing this community and this game as I've ever seen. And it's nice to know that I fit in a niche and not in a box.

Edit: A color problem :-/

Last edited by Achilles; 24 May 2004 at 03:22.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2004, 18:48   #16
emma

emma is an unknown quantity at this point

AS a newish member, meaning i have not played pa for a while altohugh did play in round 3, I would not decribe myself as any of the above the one thing i can say about pa is the good social side of it, i have made some good friends and have a good laugh on irc if it wasn't for that side of the game I would not be playing it.
ps sorry if the Englsih is bad.
emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2004, 19:58   #17
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

i refuse to be classified as a geek

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2004, 21:17   #18
Cayl

have it your way nerd