User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Jan 2005, 17:24   #1
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society
[Help]Mentoring with style.

This is NOT a suggestion, but will be once I have fine tuned it a bit, as I am sure it could work (though admittedly not for coming round, as I am sure it will take longer to implement than that.

Basically I am thinking, instead of mentoring players, to mentor alliances.

This would be done, by linking two alliances, per score, with a benefit to both.

For instance.

Say alliances can only have a total of 11 mill score (total random figure for arguments sake).
Alliance A is 9 mill (and ranked #1) and links with an alliance of 2 mill.
Alliance B is ranked 8 mill (and ranked #2) so can link with an alliance of 3 mill.
This would remove the advantage of the biggest alliance mentoring the biggest alliance it can and gain a huge advantage of resources. Could also be done with roid count, or average score/roid ratios or something.

Ok, now some (rough) details.

* The bigger alliance could get some free resources (say what would be 5% of the smaller alliance totals), for 'mentoring'.
* Alliances have to designate 2 competent members to be officer mentors to the smaller alliance.
* Someone (not pateam), should be given a job of going to smaller alliances to find out how they have benefited, and any alliance found abusing could be summoned to a meeting with pateam to explain what/why, with possible removal of 'mentor' duties. (Someone like me )
* No implemention within a set period of time (first 200 ticks or something), as it would be too easy to abuse.
* Alliances able to be mentored must be proper small alliances, (non-top 10 or so).
* Mentoring must ahve a list of criteria to be applied for such as help with: attack times, orgainsation, recruiting, security, how to organise defences, etc etc.

Please discuss....

1) All the ways you personally would /could abuse this.
2) What happens when a smaller alliance outgrows the alliance limit (which would ahve to rise through the round).
3) Anything else you can think of.

I am happy for you to slate this idea, but please, be constructive about your answers.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 17:30   #2
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold
Re: [Help]Mentoring with style.

sounds like a good idea but i feel it could be open to abuse. Also it will probably never get approved due to people either...

a) whinging about bigger alliances getting something out of it.
or
b) whinging about us helping small alliances too much.

...but i like it

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 17:30   #3
Wakko
Hackmetzler

Wakko is an unknown quantity at this point

lol
i open a second alliance, full of multiplanets, i use them as flak and def bitches, and get even a ressource bonus.
good idea but u can abuse it quite a lot
22/02/2003 22:10 GMT

Subject: Your galaxy banner

Your galaxy banner is found unacceptable and has been reset by one of the admins..

ToT HC - Überbringer von Marduks Zorn
http://www.ng-gallery.net/view.php?nick=Wakko <- attention!!!! ToT-link
Wakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 17:34   #4
Forest

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko
lol
i open a second alliance, full of multiplanets, i use them as flak and def bitches, and get even a ressource bonus.
good idea but u can abuse it quite a lot

You think a top alliance these days would do that? And risk being mass-discreedited.

I think u under estimate the wants and needs of alliances and game play.

Top alliances NEED smaller alliances and new players, or soon it will be just 60 players playing alone

Your comments though have been noted.
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 17:36   #5
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

Seems to me there is a much simpler way of doing it - asking all alliances to donate 1 HC/Officer to a small alliance to act as an adviser for a round, a kind of sabbatical. The main danger is that the person will try to take over due to big ego, but I think you could persuade alliances to do this if they are willing. If they are not willing, it doesn't matter what benefits you offer, I don't think it would ever be beneficial to the small alliance, as the big alliances would only do the bare minimum.
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 17:37   #6
Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef!
sounds like a good idea but i feel it could be open to abuse. Also it will probably never get approved due to people either...

a) whinging about bigger alliances getting something out of it.
or
b) whinging about us helping small alliances too much.

...but i like it

A) I would say to those ppl, tough. They are the kind of people who would whinge at anything, and just whinge as a way of taking notice away from the fact they are inadequate at the game.
B) You can't ever help a small alliance too much imo, in out of game things, such as organisation.

My worry is abuse to get free res, which is why I suggest we ahve someone (or a couple of people), put in place to enusre some guidelines are set up.
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 17:39   #7
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light

Hmm i doubt most allies would have enough spare personnel to make this work, especially not their best officers/ HC, who would have their hands full with their usual work.

Another issue is would helping alliances in this way, remove a big part of PAs learning curve? Successful alliances usually dont spring up over night and for good reason, all current top ranking HCs should have reached their position through learning from their mistakes.

Btw, i dont look at this as "alliance mentoring" but instead "HC mentoring", as ofc, how can you mentor a whole alliance and how that alliance progress/ is run? Through its HC!

The whole journey HCs take and the fook ups they do along the way, shapes them to become the kind of HC they are (and inturn how their alliance functions). While im sure alliances getting advise, may help them avoid some pitfalls it may adversely effect their self motivation.

Ahh anyway, im just playing devils advocate, something all HCs are good at
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 17:43   #8
Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mace
Hmm i doubt most allies would have enough spare personnel to make this work, especially not their best officers/ HC, who would have their hands full with their usual work.
It wouldnt be anyone to do all the work, just someone to sit n the channel, and advise on occasions as is needed.

Quote:
Btw, i dont look at this as "alliance mentoring" but instead "HC mentoring", as ofc, how can you mentor a whole alliance and how that alliance progress/ is run? Through its HC!
Yes you are quite right, my thinking being, u educate the hc and it filters through, so that the hc teach there members, removing the need for mass mentoring players.

Quote:

Ahh anyway, im just playing devils advocate, something all HCs are good at
Thats exactly what I want tbh, I am not making this post to massage my ego, I am making it so I can see the obstacles before I put together a serious suggestion.
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 17:49   #9
Karjeg
SiN

Karjeg is an unknown quantity at this point

An interesting concept. But the point brought up in the post by Seth Mace is one issue that might become very valid. Whining, on the other hand, is something that will always happen...

I know some alliances have implemented something similar, where they appoint some officer/HC to mentor members who have never played before.

My vote is (tentatively) aye, if a way can be found to implement it without opening for too much abuse.
<Jeeves> --- 1.1 Centaur will kill 0.277037037037 Hornet

Last edited by Karjeg; 14 Jan 2005 at 17:50. Reason: None whatsoever
Karjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 18:12   #10
Forest

An update, it has been suggested on irc to ahve some kind of simple manual written for alliance hc (I could get one written and put it up here to be adapted), and the link sent to the planet when it creates an alliance, or to ppl who are added as HC.

Thoughst on that?

Thanks to Lokken for his thoughts.
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 18:19   #11
ronnie
Kralizec

ronnie will become famous soon enoughronnie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest
An update, it has been suggested on irc to ahve some kind of simple manual written for alliance hc (I could get one written and put it up here to be adapted), and the link sent to the planet when it creates an alliance, or to ppl who are added as HC.

Thoughst on that?

Thanks to Lokken for his thoughts.
that would be an idea but the problem is that it isnt interactive, if an issue is raised which isnt covered then what would they do?

<Killmark> you do know what race i am right?
<Ronnie> is 'gay boy' a race ?
<Killmark> ronnie
<Killmark> stfu
ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 18:23   #12
Forest

have a couple of 'experts' in a room, where they can join and ask questions, with easy access to.
i know fomr experience that giving small players access to bigger ones, gets them more involved very quickly.
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 18:30   #13
Grog
Benevolent Dictator

Grog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud of

I don't really think small/new alliances need mentoring.

They're all pretty much started/run by people who've been around for a long time.

What they need are the tools neccessary for alliances to run smoothly & active members.

They generally know what they should be doing. They just aren't able to do it very effectively.

If you want new/small alliances to grow & get better, then more then anything what they need is for the more established alliances to stop siphoning off the best members from them.
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 18:31   #14
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

sigh. What was the mentoring team for? this sort of thing.
You don't want to link a big and a small alliance, the big alliance will advise the small alliance for fodder. the whole point of the mentor team was that it was independant and anyone with any authority had no standing in any alliance.
Also, http://www.planetarion.com/guidebook.php <-- what's this? This wasn't even the finished version iirc, Webangel has a newer one. It's not like there aren't written guides. They aren't the answer. But having someone sitting in a channel won't be the answer either. Most officers have too much to do and too many windows open anyway, if they sit in a channel on IRC, they'll give too little help or too much help. They'll obviously report everything straight back and use it for intel. It's far too full of abuse, especially with a link depending on how good the alliance is. Everyone will want the biggest possible alliance to get the most gain from it - who sorts out the links. the alliances themselves?
I just think it's flawed.
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 18:40   #15
Forest

Small alliances do need mentoring. Ive seen for myslef how little clue a lot of small alliance hc have how to play the game, and its these ppl who teach there members how to play. Meaning you have ppl who dont know how to play a game, teach that game badly.
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 18:43   #16
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I'm not saying they don't need mentoring. I just think that a hardcoded ingame thing for some unspecified support from a bigger alliance that gains them score is a bad idea. The mentor idea was a better idea but it didn't take off. I'm still for a bigger ingame support presence myself.
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 18:43   #17
Appocomaster
PA Team

and yes, my english grammer was horrible in that
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 18:45   #18
Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
sigh. What was the mentoring team for? this sort of thing.
With all due respect, what exactly doe sthe mentor team do?

I ahve had many new players land in my gal last round, and it was my gal who did all the advising.
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 18:48   #19
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

last i heard, jolt was saying the mentor team was dead...
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 18:50   #20
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

the mentor team did try to help new/small alliances - the biggest problem was that a lot of them did not want help or were not active enough to receive help. The mentor team's biggest success was veneratio who while they were being mentored did pretty well for a new alliance. The mentor team was basically closed down and merged with support becuase of a lack of demand - however the people in the support team are more than willing to help with the one-one side of mentoring, its the alliance mentoring thats the problem

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2005, 00:32   #21
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
the mentor team did try to help new/small alliances - the biggest problem was that a lot of them did not want help or were not active enough to receive help. The mentor team's biggest success was veneratio who while they were being mentored did pretty well for a new alliance. The mentor team was basically closed down and merged with support becuase of a lack of demand - however the people in the support team are more than willing to help with the one-one side of mentoring, its the alliance mentoring thats the problem
As Kal said here (and what I was thinking throughout reading this entire thread) it is not really a case of how we can help smaller or newer players or alliances. We have to try and make things such as IRC and PR something that those players WANT, and how to get them more involved, because I'm sure that if any of them took the time to find the mentor team or other HCs and ask for advice, they would be sorted out completely.

The methods of teaching them aren't the problem - its getting them to go to school.
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2005, 09:54   #22
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

A problem with IRC is that you need to know some nice people on IRC for it to be fun. If you don't know anyone on IRC then IRC can be a hostile and unpleasant environnement.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 17:37   #23
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

forest give me a list of alliances that want mentoring and this will be considered if there is a resonable number - i know there are lots that NEED mentoring, but wanting and needing are not the same.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote