User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 11 Nov 2004, 06:14   #1
Demosthenes

Post Paypal & PA

I was wondering if there was any way to buy credits with paypal - For a number of reasons I can't buy with my debit/credit cards, but I've got plenty of money in my paypal account.

I was wondering if anyone could point me towards a way to pay with paypal, or should one not exist do me the favour of selling me a credit - Naturally I will transfer the money over for you before you give me the code

Thanks for any help you can give guys
Unread 11 Nov 2004, 08:44   #2
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
Re: Paypal & PA

some members of PaTeam are willing to do this for people - try Phil^ and Blixxard in #support.

It is not possible for PA to use paypal directly ecuase some of the issues regarding paypal and fraud.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 02:33   #3
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

I believe the issues in regard to paypal are to do with the fees they charge for business users.

It would put the cost up per account by a minimum of 30%
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 02:41   #4
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

nah, the issue with paypal is that if one person complains they shut your account while they investigate

-mist
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 03:25   #5
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Paypal & PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
nah, the issue with paypal is that if one person complains they shut your account while they investigate
I wonder how all the eCommerce sites that now use PayPal deal with that problem?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 03:36   #6
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

dunno, i assume they have a decent tos, so that when paypal ask they can point to them.

-mist
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 07:14   #7
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

Quote:
dunno, i assume they have a decent tos, so that when paypal ask they can point to them.

-mist
truely we should make ours better so it works

and i remember my friends dad using paypal many rounds ago before we had CC's of our own

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 09:54   #8
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

basically as we know pa has huge fraud issues with regards to certain countries, so we like to check everything manually as far as i know this is not possible with paypal as as when the buyer sends the money it is sent not pending like with a cc - though feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

The other problems ares complaints as mist says and the high paypal fees.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 12 Nov 2004, 15:48   #9
randal
boring

randal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to all

If you still need it just tell me, i have 2 credits left and a paypal account..
randal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 19:15   #10
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

-mist
They dont actually, a issues is logged on the resolution center and you have 3 days to resolve it. Hence you can still receive payments. The only reason some companies do not use it online is the 0.4% surcharge the company gets hit with.

Imho they should use it, 50million users on paypal would obviously open the door to many new players....but hey..what do I know
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 19:47   #11
mist
Jolt's best friend

fair enough, that's the reason i was given from on high when i last asked about it...

wonder if it's worth setting up a brokering service... buy accounts at £3.33 each, sell them at £4 to cover costs, might even make a profit - which would be rather origonal for anything pa related :P

-mist
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 20:27   #12
randal
boring

randal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to all

i generally think it's a big mistake to only accept credit cards (at least i think they only do) .. as there always was tons of people at the age of 15-16 playing (like the guy in my galaxy who absolutely wanted to pay but simply doesnt have a card)

the number of paying players is so small that even the old 'send money per cash' or something wouldn't really be much effort, opening a few hundred envelopes, sure not more
randal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 21:10   #13
Judge
Doh!

Quote:
fair enough, that's the reason i was given from on high when i last asked about it...

wonder if it's worth setting up a brokering service... buy accounts at £3.33 each, sell them at £4 to cover costs, might even make a profit - which would be rather origonal for anything pa related :P

-mist

I was thinking the same thing myself.

Buy 100 account package and sell them individually to the players at cost + transaction charges.
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 22:05   #14
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Planetarion wouldn't be allowed to register a "business account" on Paypal as we're selling an electronic good, rather than a tangible one (ie. one that you can hold in your hands) which is the differencebetween businesses selling things on Ebay, and us.

(note: this is based on when I last read the terms & conditions about 2 months ago)
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 20:29   #15
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough

I think you'll find that it can be done. In fact we use to allow paypal as a form of payment for Planetarion. As too the tangible goods thing A2, plenty of web-site use it for subscription purposes which is generally the same as subscription to planetarion.

It could even be a personal account. i.e A2 opens a paypal account...people email him the money via paypal, including their planet id, he activates it checking planet id and email the same.

Once signups completed, he transfers paypal balance directly too Jolts account, be it their business or personal account.

Its minimal work required to open up possible clent base.
You could also register it as a shop on paypal, so you get listed on their shop list, which would off course open you too millions of their users.
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 21:14   #16
Zeus
True Gamer

A quick browse of the paypal shop section:

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...-ext&loc=76426

And you'll find:
http://www.paybycash.com/

Some blurb:
PayByCash™ connects merchants who want to reach a global consumer with customers who want or need the ability to pay for goods or services without a credit card. Through PayByCash merchants gain the ability to easily accept an unprecedented breadth of payment types. Customers can use more than twenty comfortable and convenient, online and offline payment options. Simple instructions and responsive customer care ensure customers have no problem remitting their payments.

Surely if your going to market to a world market, you have to learn to speak as many laungages as possible, otherwise you'll be shouting from the rooftops about your great and fantastic product, but whats the point if noone understands anything your saying Basically, the more payments you accept, the more people and money you will get. Its quite sad that at the moment its very UK over 18 with credit card only please.
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 21:51   #17
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

thats sort of what we`re doing now zeus, except me and blixxard buy the credits on our credit/debit cards, then activate those who pay us via paypal. the paypal costs get absorbed by ourselves.
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 22:15   #18
mist
Jolt's best friend

not wanting to be offensive, but that's hardly a great service.

while i'm sure you're not going to rip people off, it should be jolt doing it, and it should be an offical payment option - you're not going to attract new people if they have to hunt around on irc for someone to pay

-mist
Unread 15 Nov 2004, 01:09   #19
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAnd you'll find:
[url="http://www.paybycash.com/"
http://www.paybycash.com/[/url]

Some blurb:
PayByCash™ connects merchants who want to reach a global consumer with customers who want or need the ability to pay for goods or services without a credit card. Through PayByCash merchants gain the ability to easily accept an unprecedented breadth of payment types. Customers can use more than twenty comfortable and convenient, online and offline payment options. Simple instructions and responsive customer care ensure customers have no problem remitting their payments.

Surely if your going to market to a world market, you have to learn to speak as many laungages as possible, otherwise you'll be shouting from the rooftops about your great and fantastic product, but whats the point if noone understands anything your saying Basically, the more payments you accept, the more people and money you will get. Its quite sad that at the moment its very UK over 18 with credit card only please.
W e-mailed them about this, but 4 weeks later they still haven't replied to the email, so they don't seem particularly suitable from a customer service point of view.
Unread 15 Nov 2004, 02:40   #20
mist
Jolt's best friend

planetarion's probably made someone's e-mail blacklist again

-mist
Unread 15 Nov 2004, 03:27   #21
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

It does turn up as "junk mail" at mine
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2004, 05:57   #22
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Planetarion wouldn't be allowed to register a "business account" on Paypal as we're selling an electronic good, rather than a tangible one (ie. one that you can hold in your hands) which is the differencebetween businesses selling things on Ebay, and us.

(note: this is based on when I last read the terms & conditions about 2 months ago)
Your not selling a Electronic good, your selling a service... Electronic goods are games that one would download... but not retain a physical copy.

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2004, 15:04   #23
mist
Jolt's best friend

a service is still hardly tangiable

-mist
Unread 15 Nov 2004, 16:47   #24
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

Quote:
a service is still hardly tangiable

-mist

so is phone sex but they don't seem to keen on not taking your money for that non tangiable service

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2004, 20:34   #25
mist
Jolt's best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorsdown
so is phone sex but they don't seem to keen on not taking your money for that non tangiable service
you're going to have to tell me what this has to do with registering a business with paypal...

-mist
Unread 15 Nov 2004, 20:42   #26
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

paypal allows businesses that provide services to use its system... or thats what i read. O.o Been a while, did they they change that?

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2004, 22:35   #27
Zeus
True Gamer

@planetarion.com is blocked by many isps, true. So, perhaps when dealing with business matters at business level, an old invention may be best? erm..perhaps pigeon? nah..cant afford to fed them....I know!...morse code!...forgotten all the vowels...post?..too slow, but quicker than 4 weeks???....I GOT IT!! a 2 minute phone call to them, will give you the info you need PLUS an option for them to negotiate YOUR business!

/me takes tongue out off cheek;P
Unread 16 Nov 2004, 00:02   #28
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

*giggles at zeus*

I certainly agree paypal would be beneficial to the service

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2004, 00:04   #29
Judge
Doh!

Another option to pay for the game could be a Premium rate phone service, where PA get the payment from the calls.

3 minute call = £1.10 per minute or whatever the charge level needs to be.

You can set the charge level yourself, and BT only get the statndard call rate.

It could work, if a Customer creates an account, and on doing so recieves and activation code which he then has to input into the phone thus upgrading the planet, or an activation key is given at the end of the call, where a player can enter that key in Prefs.....
Unread 16 Nov 2004, 00:06   #30
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge
Another option to pay for the game could be a Premium rate phone service, where PA get the payment from the calls.

3 minute call = £1.10 per minute or whatever the charge level needs to be.

You can set the charge level yourself, and BT only get the statndard call rate.

It could work, if a Customer creates an account, and on doing so recieves and activation code which he then has to input into the phone thus upgrading the planet, or an activation key is given at the end of the call, where a player can enter that key in Prefs.....
another fantastic idea that works well with other services, unfortunatly probably wouldnt work effectively for people outside the UK as they would probably be charged a fortune for calling the UK as well.

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2004, 01:37   #31
mist
Jolt's best friend

iirc, the premium rate phone thing was looked in to, but unless you meet the significant outlay of setting it up yourself the companies who handle it for you take a large chunk of the money

-mist
Unread 16 Nov 2004, 11:44   #32
Zeus
True Gamer

I know all the payment options and have looked into many myself. Some are easy to stepup, others are not due to criteria and cost, others take a lot of time etc... So perhaps a crazy idea would be too outsource it? Or would letting a specialised company who will do all the work for you and promote you to all their customers as well, be too drastic an idea? Erm..yes...no?

Dont know why I'm even doing this, but for those too lazy to check elsewhere, here as some options for you:

PayByCash -- all currencies accepted!
Easy, convenient, and with PayByCash, finally useful on the Internet! You use cash everyday in real life, offline. Now you can use it online, too.

Virtual Check ("E-Check") / Direct Debit
As easy as writing a paper check, but without the mailing hassles or postage costs. You can write us a virtual check online and we will process your payment as soon as we get it!

DuoCash
The simple, safe, secure way to make purchases over the internet. No credit card or bank account needed.

Paynova
The Paynova digital wallet is an easy and secure solution for different payment types and amounts. The wallet is available in Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, German, French and English. It's possible to do business in: SEK, EUR, GBP, NOK, DKK and USD.[/size]

Wire or Bank Transfer
International customers can securely wire a payment directly to us from their bank. Customers around the world simply send their wire to another bank within their own country and here's no need to convert to U.S. Dollars when sending bank transfers to PayByCash!

Splash Plastic
Splash Plastic is a prepaid internet payment card, available to customers in the U.K., that allows shopping online at selected websites without a credit card.

Certa-Pay
CertaPay (Desjardins Group) and the five largest banks in Canada have launched the world's first real-time, bank-to-bank, email money transfer (EMT) system. If you bank in Canada at CIBC, Scotiabank, Bank of Montreal or TD Canada Trust, you simply use your online PC banking to send money.

PayPal
PayPal, an eBay Company, enables any individual or business with an email address to securely, easily and quickly send payments online.

Paymate
Very popular Australian online money exchange service, similar to PayPal for customers who have a bank account with an Australian bank.

Western Union SwiftPay™
For a lower transaction fee than other Western Union payment methods (about $7.00), customers in the U.S. can use our Western Union SwiftPay™ payment option and get a payment into our hands within minutes.

Western Union QuickPay™
Designed to be faster, if not cheaper than express overnight mail services. Customers worldwide can elect to use Western Union QuickPay and get their payment to us within 1-3 hours.

Mail or FAX Your Check
It doesn't get much easier than this. Submit your subscription request to us and follow it with a mailed or faxed check (check by fax is currently only available for checks drawn on U.S. banks).

Money Order via Postal Service
Don't have a checking account or prefer not to use it? All you need to do is send us a money order. As soon as we get it, you are online!

e-gold®
e-gold is an electronic currency, issued by e-gold Ltd., a Nevis corporation, 100% backed at all times by gold bullion in allocated storage.

WebMoney Transfer
WebMoney Transfer is a global payment system available to all people worldwide and very popular in Russia and northern Europe.

GoldMoney
GoldMoney® is one of the best ways to buy and sell gold - it's easy and inexpensive, plus you have the convenience of transacting online.

payENKRYPT™
We now take great pride in being one of the FIRST eCommerce sites on the Internet to offer you the ability to pay using your ATM debit card with PIN![/size].[/size]

hyperWALLET
Canadian credit union members across Atlantic Canada can now transfer funds in real time from their bank account directly into a linked hyperWALLET through their secure MemberDirect® online web banking application and then use that to pay their PayByCash subscriptions.

Cyphermint's PayCash System
The CYPHERMINT Pay Cash System handles electronic payments through the Internet. Users can work with it as easily as with their conventional wallet. There is no need for credit cards. The PayCash wallet can be funded securely by many non-credit-card means. Payments through the Internet become safe and anonymous.[/size]

TravelersExpress MoneyGram
MoneyGram® International Money Transfer is the fast, convenient and easy way to wire money. Through the MoneyGram international network of more than 55,000 agent locations worldwide, customers around the globe can send money at attractive prices to recipients in more than 155 countries. Funds usually arrive within 10 minutes, it's 100% guaranteed, and it costs less than Western Union![/size]

Yahoo PayDirect
The simple, secure payment service offered by Yahoo in partnership with HSBC bank. Yahoo/HSBC charge you nothing to send your payment. Once you've setup your Yahoo PayDirect account, you can send your money with the click of a button! And, since this system is backed by HSBC, your account id FDIC insured!

moneybookers™
moneybookers™ enables any business or consumer with an email address to securely and cost-effectively send and receive payments online – in real-time! Moneybookers Limited is a money transmitter regulated under UK law, owned by Gatcombe Park Ventures Limited, London.

I beleive you can even pay using your mobile phone too

Anyways only trying to help.

Last edited by Zeus; 16 Nov 2004 at 11:50.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2004, 06:02   #33
macros69
Um....... Macros

macros69 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok the thing about the premium rate phone line i think is great. If you look at www.runescape.com they use that and they have british and US members so maybe check out there for inspiration i dont know. But if you want to get users from the teens like myself (I'm 17) then you need something like that because right now the only way i have this account is because one of my mates mums are sound enough to use there credit card for the 3 of us. But please try and get this problem sorted by round 13 so i can buy credit then.

Yeh at the end of the day as long as people without a credit card can get credits for planetarion i will be chuffed.
Macros
macros69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2004, 10:15   #34
Kal
Inactive peon

premium rate phone numbers will not work - i do not know many people who have their own phone line to make them from who could not pay by credit card (do not count mobiles as the phone call will cost twice as much from thoose)

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 1 Dec 2004, 14:48   #35
mist
Jolt's best friend

last time i looked, setting up a premium rate number was rather expensive. given the number of people who'd use it, i don't think it's feasable. at least, not without charging more per account for it, which i suspect would upset people

-mist
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 00:50   #36
Zeus
True Gamer

Quote:
last time i looked, setting up a premium rate number was rather expensive. given the number of people who'd use it, i don't think it's feasable. at least, not without charging more per account for it, which i suspect would upset people

-mist
There are other ways via phone, ie mobile call, or even a sms txt, which other companies specalise in and since they already have the infrastructer, dont cost that much.
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 04:31   #37
mist
Jolt's best friend

while i was in pateam we looked, and they charged about 50%. given 17.5% tax on top of that, and you're suddenly looking at a rather naff payback. perhaps they've changed

-mist