User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 25 Dec 2003, 01:06   #1
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
Thoughts for Planetarion

When PA went pay to play, it was widely agreed that it was a decision to save the game. I don't doubt this for a minute. I believe one of the creators said that they could either keep it as free and last maybe another round and then have to pack it up, or go pay to play and keep it going indefinitely. We later found out exactly how much control over Fifth Season AS the board of investors had; a damned lot (i'm sure i'm not the only one who remembers the struggles the creators went through to actually persuade them to sell the game in order to keep it together) and i'm certain that if PA had not created any further revenue, the company would have gone out of business there and then, and the game would have died.
There is one fact despite all of PA's history, and the bumpy ride there's been since round 5;
It's still here.
PA has been through thick and thin, and even though it's a shadow of what it once was, it remains, and while it does, there is hope for it.
People have declared that PA is on its deathbed many times over its years, including myself, but there's something about this game and its community that just doesn't keel over and die. I remember very clearly that when Zeus announced that PA needed to persuade the board of investors that it was worth selling, the entire community rallied round and many people tried to help in any way they could. That is an example of what this game means to people and what it has achieved and can achieve.
I'm not saying this game is invincible - it would be foolish to do so. I'm merely saying that with the proper care and attention, this game could eventually find a balance between extreme prices and being free, and could perhaps return to being a major power where internet games are concerned.
It will be difficult. It may require many more changes from those we've already seen. It will require trust being nurtured between the players and the runners of the game. It will require patience and strong will, but it is not impossible.
Ideas about alternative methods of payments; subscriptions etc. may eventually find their way into PA, all we know is that at the time of going pay to play they were not viable alternatives. This does not mean they will never be used.
I once believed that PA was simply past its best, clinging onto a desperate hope of life, but now i'm starting to realise that the game has a lot of untapped potential, and perhaps needs to find a new equilibrium for its new situation. Planetarion cannot be run on a set of ideals dreamed up when it was an experiment hosted in a living room in Norway, nor can it be run on theoretical ideals set in a successful corporate climate. The game needs dealing with as it stands, not as it's always stood or how it might stand in the future. By this i do not mean to criticise PAteam and their running of the game currently, i mean that the entire game and everything to do with it needs reforming - and i don't mean reform as in PA to PAX type reforms. With round 10 came a new game and the same old system, which people did not trust and were tired of. I am convinced that people will eventually trust the team if they are honest, open and presentable AS a team, not as conflicting factions. I am also convinced that people will eventually come round to the game again, if it is what they want. Someone wise once told me that "the humble servant attitude works best", and i think that is advice worth heeding. I know from first-hand experience that the team will never please everybody, but nobody - nobody - will buy a product that they don't want, and the team are the ones with the ability to shape the product in this sense; the game.

I'm sure i will get flamed in some form or other for this, but this is how i feel, and i am certain that with work and time PA can be a great game that people want to play and will want to encourage others to play again. A utopian vision, i know, but one not that far out of reach.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2003, 01:12   #2
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts
Re: Thoughts for Planetarion

Well, mushroom sounds like you have some good thoughts ;-) Now all we need is some for detailing

I agree with you and i hope that others will read this thread, cuz its ace.

Deathstar

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2003, 01:30   #3
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroom
I am convinced that people will eventually trust the team
agree with all but that :P

-mist
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2003, 01:54   #4
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute

I do have ideas for details, but details are where discussion is necessary.

Basic ideas that i believe in:
  • People with admin or similarly detailed access should forfeit being able to seriously play the game (basically, admin planets only)
  • The PAteam contact website idea, where someone can submit a problem and have a more personal response and know exactly what's happening with it should be implemented - it was a great idea and i am uncertain why it was scrapped.
  • The players should be consulted more readily over major ideas concerning the game; new implementations or changes, for example.
  • A general point - ideas shouldn't be cast away because they may be difficult to achieve. A good idea is worth persuing and trying to find some way of implementation.
  • The game should have some sort of definite complaints procedure... just emailing Jolt is a tad dismissive. I understand that people don't generally trust internal complaints proceedings, but it is important to have a person as impartial as possible for people to approach.
  • The team should strive to be 'professional' - even though unpaid. While this is difficult to achieve, there should be some common consensus on what 'professional' means, and this should be stuck to as closely as possible.
  • Finally, and perhaps hardest of all - common sense should prevail

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Mushroom; 25 Dec 2003 at 02:46.
Unread 25 Dec 2003, 06:13   #5
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

actually, as long as your freindly and available, i dont think that the community cares if your professional. The problem is that the PA team isnt freindly or available because they are unprfessional

I wouldnt count on commonsince... cuz some poeple dont have it :-). But your thinking about it so thats good.. ;-)

BTW, just a side note.. i think that you do need to have a cheif leader like spinner or mr brick so that teh community has someone to hold responcible. Because if you dont have someone in charge, then it becomes "well, thats not my responcibility, talk to so and so, and then so and so says tahts not my responibility go talk to whoever. You need a leader go make sure things run smoothely..

Unread 25 Dec 2003, 11:55   #6
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold

i feel nearly the same as mushroom.

sad as i am - i think there can be a solution.

******** is free. ********** is in some way free. planetarion is p2p. it must be possible to find a mixture out of those 3 systems.
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*
Legator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2003, 12:25   #7
cbk100

cbk100 is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing is that this game is not the EXTREMELY fun game as it once was without at least 20k players, so what is needed to make this game as fun as it once was PA needs to get about 15k new players and those amounts will not get without making it free.
It might be able to keep on running the game as p2p but it will never be a good business (if we trust Spinner about how many payers needed to make it go around) and the comunity will keep on shrinking untill it maybe reach an equilibrium.

If Jolt wants to keep PA and maybe have a chance to earn money from having it they MUST make it free and look for alternative ways to earn money.
I don't say that its posible to earn money from making it free but its the only option, so either they simply just close PA down or they make it free.
But well I have told that to HQ and Jolt for some rounds now and it seems like they just want to trow more good money after bad investments so I don't think there is much hope.

cbk
cbk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2003, 13:17   #8
Strifeh

Strifeh is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest there is no real need for Planetarion to be free again. Fair enough we've lost a hell of alot of players when we went p2p, but on the up side it has left us with the players that are dedicated to the game and more importantly it's survival.
I fully agree with Mushroom on a lot of what he's said, and I do believe one day soon people will trust PA Team.. I think people just need to be more open minded about what it takes to be in PA Team and the struggle they have to go through with dealing with the players every day. Remember just because they are not available 24/7 does not mean they are not listening :-)
The main problem with the community at the moment is the fact that many are unwilling to try and understand why things are going the way they are. I'm pretty damn confident that if everyone took a step back and let PA Team sort themselves out first before dragging up any other issues, because to be fair I doubt they are in a very good position to deal with everything, when they themselves are not settled. Think of it as you being in a new job with new people..the last thing you want is for everyone to come to you straight off with all these problems.
As Mushroom has said, one of the main issues is patience. If you guys really do love this game and want to keep it alive as many of you claim then be patient with the people "in charge". Whatever may be said about them, they want to keep this game going too and the more people that get under their skin, the more we're going to push them away from doing what they love, and what we love them for doing. Actually running Planetarion.
It's Christmas for crying out loud, Let PA Team etc have their fun, and let them relax for a while. Aslong as we stay around there will always be a game, and the more support we show the faster it will come to us.
Merry Christmas Guys - And have a Happy New Year

Strifeh
Strifeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2003, 15:15   #9
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

PA needs to be a game people want to play with a system of generating revenue that's acceptable to the community and to possible newcomers. Obviously Jolt have a lot of say in what systems are acceptable to them, and i feel that might be the biggest problem that the management has to overcome.

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 25 Dec 2003, 15:17   #10
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk100
The thing is that this game is not the EXTREMELY fun game as it once was without at least 20k players, so what is needed to make this game as fun as it once was PA needs to get about 15k new players and those amounts will not get without making it free.
It might be able to keep on running the game as p2p but it will never be a good business (if we trust Spinner about how many payers needed to make it go around) and the comunity will keep on shrinking untill it maybe reach an equilibrium.

If Jolt wants to keep PA and maybe have a chance to earn money from having it they MUST make it free and look for alternative ways to earn money.
I don't say that its posible to earn money from making it free but its the only option, so either they simply just close PA down or they make it free.
But well I have told that to HQ and Jolt for some rounds now and it seems like they just want to trow more good money after bad investments so I don't think there is much hope.

cbk
well, its not exactly like that....i said in some other tread already that with the alliance limitations (yea yea wakey, we could cut it down to 100 ) the game already could be much more fun with lets say 4k planets. or r8 numbers would be really hell of fun, even if we wont ever reach that again.

4 k planets, random, alliance limitations to 150 or 100. that would be in best case 40 alliances with 100 members or around 26 with 150 members - i think that would rock.

(20 k as you said is of course the best of the best)
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*
Legator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2003, 03:26   #11
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point

You know the reason why I don't see any 'hope' for planetarion now? Because I know the people that are currently in charge of it. Put a competent person on the top, not the two megalomaniac tekkies that are running things now.

I see ways to reconstruct planetarion, there are however problems.

For instance, one good way to start is to radically reduce the amount of community involvement of PA Team. PA Team is the support, not the community leaders. There are advantages of the PA Team being a part of the community, they know what's happening and a better contact between players and developpers has its positive influences on the final product, but it GREATLY reduces the proffessionality of the PA Team. For instance, when mrbrick was removed by karm/mit it was all over the forums, and the 'official' statement regarding this incident was that some people were at a party and misunderstood eachother. I mean seriously, a tabloid could depict this situation more proffessional. The problem is however, nobody wants to 'support' (which can take up quite a portion of your time) and not be rewarded for it. If the support people are part of the community then the reward is acknowledgement from their peers and keeping the game running provides with satisfaction as well. So it's a choice either PAY all people with game admin access and create a distance between the developpers and community or choose for a transparent PA team that will have every action scrutinized.

Now, every single gaming company in the world chooses for the distant approach, not only because of the things I just mentioned, but also because they can make their own decisions. You know what? Right now planetarion is a sum of a lot of compromises, it's flat, dull. That's because the community had too much influence in the creation of it which is leads back to too much community involvement. There needs to be a core team that makes most of the decisions, that sets certain goals and keeps them and are willing to NOT listen to the advice of the community sometimes. Even though I did not always agree with spinner's game decisions, I respected him for the fact that he kept his cool and made his decisions according to his views, not that of the 10,000 other people that thought they could do his job for him.

With spinner/fudge/zeus/oreo in place we had a team of people that we could trust completely. They were the creators and what they said went. Did we ever hear about the arguements spinner and zeus had? Or the time fudge and oreo had a fall out? Not that those events ever happened according to my knowledge, but that is exactly the point. It's bad if the community knows 'too' much, like they do know.

Jolt needs to appoint 1 person, a competent one preferably, pay them a wage and let them sort things out. Decisions need to be made, there is no time for powergames or soap operas in the PA Team. This game has a lot of untapped potential, it accomplished this a long time ago when we were aiming for 200,000 planets. I don't think planetarion could ever be 'dead', as long as jolt is willing to host it (which costs them diddly squat all) it can live. It has come to my attention that jolt actually is willing to do more for this game than just milk it for the last round of sign ups, so if I were them I'd run a free round now (pre Pa X) while round 11 is being coded in combination with several speed rounds that require pay (like 5 euros a pop not that godforsaken amount of 15 euros).

The good part being ofcourse that the game doesn't need to be balanced or oversimplified for newbies. There was absolutely NOTHING wrong with round 3 and 4, yes the stats were a little bit off, but that sure as hell didn't stop people from playing. Round 6,7,8 brought a lot of dimension to the game, yes it wasn't perfect but still people payed for it. (Regarding those rounds: it's not bad for things to be complicated as long as they are explained properly, which they weren't). It wasn't too unbalanced in round 3 and 4 and it wasn't too complicated in the following rounds, people will pay to play an imperfect product as long as they are entertained by it. Compromising is bad, you need a direction and take it, you're not going to get it right ever, perfection is not the way to success but good leadership and a sense of direction is. You can't be everything to every player.

If any of PA Team are reading is then you better take a big ****ing hint because this will probably be the last time I'm willing to spend time telling you knuckleheads how to do your goddamned jobs. The fun part being ofcourse that after that line every incompetent pa team member will feel deeply insulted because they know that they are crap (lo karm) and most likely will not try to do anything of the sort.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2003, 03:53   #12
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

agree with some of your points, not with others.

in some respects, i think you're right about not pampering too much to the community, in that what might be best for the game, trying to attract new players, make things more fun etc, might not always be what the existing community, particularly large alliances want.

however, i think close involvement with the community in getting their feedback on what the team decides is the way forward. having one, two, five, ten, whatever people looking at things and thinking they're a good idea is great, but the community have a habbit of finding ways to exploit things, finding loopholes, so i think it's useful to take ideas to the community and check that the effect they're supposed to have is what they'll actually do

-mist
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2003, 04:20   #13
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
however, i think close involvement with the community in getting their feedback on what the team decides is the way forward. having one, two, five, ten, whatever people looking at things and thinking they're a good idea is great, but the community have a habbit of finding ways to exploit things, finding loopholes, so i think it's useful to take ideas to the community and check that the effect they're supposed to have is what they'll actually do

-mist
There is nothing wrong with taking input from the players, every gaming company does this. The trick is to know where to draw the line and put your foot down. It's not a question of exploits and game deficiencies but a matter of who's boss. And right now PA Team is not in control, just look at your whingy little reply. You completely missed the point, didn't think for yourself and posted some mindless drivel just because you felt the need to post something because you are supposed to be the guy that has relations to the public. So now you instantly lost control over the situation, you went into an arguement with a piss poor reply. Don't you know that you can't win arguements over the internet? Especially with replies like that. You don't go into arguements with people as dev team, you acknowledge things and you state things but you do NOT argue with customers* on the public forum. You can say that you don't necessarily agree with me but you don't argue the point, it creates a dev vs player atmosphere and makes you look like an amateur**.

P.S.: No offense, as in seriously. The above post was partly exaggerated (in regards to your 'poor reply') to show you the problems you create with such a post. For once I'm actually being serious and trying to give some advice rather than too take the piss.

* Technically I'm not a customer but you get the point
** I know I didn't adhere to this when I was in the PA Team but like I said: I was too involved with the community.
Unread 26 Dec 2003, 05:07   #14
Eventh
Retired?

Eventh is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the part about pa has to be p2p is bullshit.

Im pretty sure i can myself host it on my 2-3 boxes with only 2k players. If the bandwith is less than 5-10 gig each day on each box it shouldnt either be a problem for me to run it.. Atleast with a little bit of work.

There must be many others with the same resources to be able to host it, and im sure if the community was asked to host it, we would easly be able too..

But as long as jolt owns it, and wants to earn money on it its gonna be p2p ofc..
Eventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2003, 05:50   #15
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

I think that PA does have to be free again, but not forever just for a bit.

The first think you have to do with a game to sell it is to make it good

If its an fps or something like that, ( a one player game) than is easy, simply good maps/story/graphix.

But, to sell a game with PA with almost zero graphix and based soley on many people playing the game, the only way to make it fun is to have more than 3k people playing. The only way to do that, to get people interested in the game, is to make it free for a round or 2, and then increase priceds SLOWLY, even if it means continuing to take a loss for a couple of rounds. PA isnt makeing money now, so why do nothing when you could make it profitable again?

Deathstar

Unread 26 Dec 2003, 05:52   #16
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

PA has to be p2p because it means that the game will be higher quality. IF you want to play a pieace of shi" then go play a free game, if you want to play something worth while, then expect to pay a bit, but i agree with the free, but only for a bit.

Unread 26 Dec 2003, 09:01   #17
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar
PA has to be p2p because it means that the game will be higher quality. IF you want to play a pieace of shi" then go play a free game, if you want to play something worth while, then expect to pay a bit, but i agree with the free, but only for a bit.
Are you smoking something? Right now SS and "the other game with the pretty similar name run by dave *waves*" are just as good as PA, are free, have a similar if not larger playerbase, didn't have as much server downtime the last round (especially at the meaningful end of the round). Let's face it, very few people liked PAX. If we don't go back to classic PA there's no chance. Covert-ops with some tweaking would be a nice addition, and possibly fleet priorities, but that's pretty much it (the minor race differences in construction and research strike me as very easy to implement, and are very easy to understand, so they could be included as well). People liked the earlier rounds, I'd pay money to play any of rounds 1through to 9.5 again. But the only difference between PA and other games right now is I've played PA for ages and I like it around here. PA has to do the things it was good at again, and it has to do them well.

In the meantime run about four speedgames heh.
Unread 26 Dec 2003, 16:03   #18
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

SS is no where close to PA, are you smoking something. The game itself sucks. You have to change minerals into composite... that is just retarted, plus some of the links dont work.. and the look of the game sucks...

Unread 26 Dec 2003, 16:14   #19
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
SS is no where close to PA, are you smoking something.
Considering the game has been running with a fair amount of users for a pretty long time, I'd say that SS in itself is a successful product, which is meeting it's goals. Planetarion isn't doing that by a long shot.

The fact that you may not like it (I personally can't really get into any of the clones) doesn't mean that the game somehow sucks. If you are going to discuss things, you need to at least learn to acknowledge that your viewpoint isn't the only one out there, and that if you want to convince people, you'll need to come with solid arguments as to why your opinion is correct. If you're not trying to convince anyone, but just want to state your opinion, then there is no need to accuse other users of not thinking coherently for having a different opinion.
Unread 26 Dec 2003, 16:18   #20
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

I can spend a lot of time on why ss is inferiour to PA, and persuade people... but why waste my time. Leshy. Anyway, this thread wasnt about whether or not my argument was good, so why dont you go back home, unless you have something pertanent to add to the thread. Just trying to boost your stats? lol FFS.

Unread 26 Dec 2003, 16:22   #21
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I can spend a lot of time on why ss is inferiour to PA, and persuade people... but why waste my time.
Because you are posting anyway? Thinking up even a single reasonable argument shouldn't take much longer than writing a rant about how something sucks without even basing your points on anything.
Quote:
why dont you go back home
Considering I'm on Planetarion Discussions, sitting behind my PC at home, I reckon I am home in both senses of the word As for your comment on 'adding something pertinent to the thread' and 'boosting your stats', I would only like to say that you shouldn't throw stones in a glass house.
Unread 26 Dec 2003, 16:45   #22
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
SS is no where close to PA, are you smoking something. The game itself sucks. You have to change minerals into composite... that is just retarted, plus some of the links dont work.. and the look of the game sucks...
I'm looking at my account right now and I can't see these broken links The look of the game doesn't matter at all and it's hardly repulsive anyways. Some good reasoning though, you have to change minerals into composite "wtf that shit sux lol". And are you honestly going to tell me the difference is worth 15 euro? I'd barely play PAX if it was free heh.
Unread 26 Dec 2003, 19:32   #23
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

mushroom... i couldnt agree more!

come and find me on IRC some time, i havnt spoken to you in ages!!

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2003, 20:06   #24
Richie987
Mistress's fluffer

Richie987 can only hope to improve

Imho PA has made far too many changes which has ruined it's old community spirit thus PA becoming more and more high-tech, but having so few playing. If you had say 2/3 rounds of FREE playing to get more customers back without all the changes in the past round(s). Just the 4 straight races and so on (round7/8 if im correct). However, the best times were in r3/4 so, maybe just 2 races?
Currently, with the amount of players atm decreasing still...are we looking at another year of PA or are we slowly seeing PA being made instinct?

Regards.
#1 Galaxy Winner
#1 ********** Galaxy winner
Top 15 ********** planet
Richie987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2003, 20:31   #25
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Quote Leshy
" are you honestly going to tell me the difference is worth 15 euro"

NO, i didnt say that i thought that 15 euro is a fair price, im saying that need to keep it that becasue the wont acept a loss for a bit, to go free for a bit, and then increase there prices slowly. Im not impressed with you, your knowlege of rhetoric, or you analyzing of everything i have said, im not going to sit here and talk about how cheesy and rediculus your threads have been, get over it ::rolls eyes:

Unread 26 Dec 2003, 22:39   #26
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Quote Leshy
I didn't say that. You might want to use the big 'Quote' button under posts instead
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 03:39   #27
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

yes.. thank you leshy..

Unread 27 Dec 2003, 04:04   #28
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventh
I think the part about pa has to be p2p is bullshit.

Im pretty sure i can myself host it on my 2-3 boxes with only 2k players. If the bandwith is less than 5-10 gig each day on each box it shouldnt either be a problem for me to run it.. Atleast with a little bit of work.

There must be many others with the same resources to be able to host it, and im sure if the community was asked to host it, we would easly be able too..

But as long as jolt owns it, and wants to earn money on it its gonna be p2p ofc..
2-3? ******** (ooh, I deserve a censor ) runs acceptably on 1.

The costs? £40 a month colo, no bandwidth fees. This isnt at some shit data center, but at the London docklands telehouse (top quality). However, even if you wanted to take bandwidth into account (which jolt almost certainly dont have to, you buy a fixed amount of megabits and the actual usage doesnt matter). The truth is that P2P in its current form just isnt needed, anyone who says otherwise is either bullshitting of knows nothing. If I (a 16 year old student) can run a clone with a comparable number of planets for free*, then why the **** cant Jolt?
Sure they want ROI, but havnt they had that yet?

Theres more ways to make money out of games like this than by forcing you to pay £10 up front. After some research, I started running Google banners on ********, and in just under a week, its made me £150. Considering it only costs me £40 to host the thing, id say £110 is a tidy little sum. Assume a month of similar amounts, and your getting £600 a month, not bad for a student .

* Almost free

Please dont censor evade - JC

Last edited by JC; 27 Dec 2003 at 19:36.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 04:22   #29
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Pld Dave

*Goes to click more banners*

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 13:55   #30
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
If I (a 16 year old student) can run a clone with a comparable number of planets for free*, then why the **** cant Jolt?
Most likely because they had to pay wages for two full-time employees up until this point. As I said in another thread as well, though, with Spinner and Fudge no longer being on the payroll, there's very little cost left for Jolt in running PA.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 19:50   #31
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Thoughts for Planetarion

Quote:
If I (a 16 year old student) can run a clone with a comparable number of planets for free*, then why the **** cant Jolt?
I'm sure a 16-year-old could a run a game like PA for free. A 16-year-old doesn't have to support even him-/herself and can run the game out of his/her bedroom.

Jolt, on the other hand, has to pay salaries. They didn't buy PA to run it as a charity. I expect they'll milk it for as much as they can and if, in the process, they kill it off then they'll toss the carcass on the scrapheap and move on.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 19:51   #32
Dave
Infallible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
I'm sure a 16-year-old could a run a game like PA for free. A 16-year-old doesn't have to support even him-/herself and can run the game out of his/her bedroom.

Jolt, on the other hand, has to pay salaries. They didn't buy PA to run it as a charity. I expect they'll milk it for as much as they can and if, in the process, they kill it off then they'll toss the carcass on the scrapheap and move on.
Whose salery are they paying now? Planetarion no longer has any payed staff.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 20:15   #33
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Thoughts for Planetarion

Quote:
Whose salery are they paying now? Planetarion no longer has any payed staff.
I suspect Jolt has staff for other purposes. As I said, I don't think they bought PA to run it as a charity.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 20:29   #34
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

All the more reason to take my business elsewhere.

Being used as a source of petty cash isn't my idea of a good time.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 20:32   #35
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
I suspect Jolt has staff for other purposes. As I said, I don't think they bought PA to run it as a charity.
Jolt currently employs 3 people.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 20:41   #36
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Quote Leshy
" are you honestly going to tell me the difference is worth 15 euro"

NO, i didnt say that i thought that 15 euro is a fair price, im saying that need to keep it that becasue the wont acept a loss for a bit, to go free for a bit, and then increase there prices slowly. Im not impressed with you, your knowlege of rhetoric, or you analyzing of everything i have said, im not going to sit here and talk about how cheesy and rediculus your threads have been, get over it ::rolls eyes:
:w-hat:?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 20:42   #37
Dave
Infallible

How many hundreds of free game servers do they run?
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 20:45   #38
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
How many hundreds of free game servers do they run?
Lots. However, there's a not insignificant number of paid servers too.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2003, 02:06   #39
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese
All the more reason to take my business elsewhere.

Being used as a source of petty cash isn't my idea of a good time.
It's not like PAteam has a great deal of control over that situation though, unfortunately.
It's also not like PA will be sold to anyone who will be able to implement a pricing strategy similar to its competitors, as Jolt aren't prepared to sell PA.
The only option appears to be to try and persuade Jolt to find a reasonable pricing strategy that both sides agree on.
It won't be preferable as they're running it for a profit, but it can at least be tried.

George Bernard Shaw