User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Recruitment

Unread 29 Aug 2003, 03:25   #1
Balor
Elite Ars Kicking General

Balor is an unknown quantity at this point
To the high command of the smaller alliances

Hello my friends, my enemies, even people who dont think i am competent of anything. I am here to preach. I believe that no matter what happens in the game of Planetarion, there will always be outstanding power blocks that will demolish all that comes their way.

Is this right? Is this fair? Is there any way to stop these power blocks? I think not, not if we cannot come together in a force to resound off the walls of the archives in planetarions great history. Unless the smaller alliances can come together and fight for freedom from these enourmous forces, there is no hope.

It's simple. Anybody with heart, with the willpower to take chances, join with us in the fight to let the lesser alliances have independance from these powers. I am not asking you to merge, or to join our alliance, i am asking you to ally your alliance with ours. I do not care whether you are enourmous or tiny, you can join with us. We can become a fighting force if we can ally.

Let us come together to fight off the greater alliances we have all bowed to in the past.

Balor
High Commander, Deathhead
(to discuss further pm me on irc.netgamers.org, my nick is balor)
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 21:50   #2
cambell
pe0n

cambell is an unknown quantity at this point
so u want to get rid of power blocks by creating a power block?

:/

their will always be big alliance's, small alliance's, big power blocks, and small "power blocks", out of interest what is going to happen if this got of the ground and u complete this "plan"?

[21:20] <idimmu> not wanting to play the gay card
[21:20] <idimmu> but who is Cambel?
cambell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 17:12   #3
Balor
Elite Ars Kicking General

Balor is an unknown quantity at this point
lol

I didnt say i wanted to get rid of power blocks. Just fihgt them off.
Unread 2 Sep 2003, 17:03   #4
davidb
[Iron-Pirates & Babes]

davidb is an unknown quantity at this point
hehe
balor play the beta or summat or if u wanna post crap still go on the ad forums one more thread wudnt hurt
davidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 03:45   #5
Fernando
Lieutenant Colonel

Fernando is an unknown quantity at this point
so you want to fight off powerblocks by blocking?
/me wonders.......

Community for community - join #PA
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 03:52   #6
Fernando
Lieutenant Colonel

Fernando is an unknown quantity at this point
soz to say this but it sounds a bit senseless to my ears that you wish to fight blocks off with an own block

Community for community - join #PA
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 19:53   #7
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
no. he wants to give the blocks a harder fight, with his own block.

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 20:03   #8
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough
The only way to remove powerblocking in the game is to bring forward the declarations of war engagment between equal sized alliances and to recode combat so that alliances can only attack the other planets of the allaince which they are at war with.

Payments of tribute of course could be paid to the winning side to cease hostilities or just just a mutual ceasefire. But theres much more to this that the above two points.
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 21:11   #9
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus
The only way to remove powerblocking in the game is to bring forward the declarations of war engagment between equal sized alliances and to recode combat so that alliances can only attack the other planets of the allaince which they are at war with.

Payments of tribute of course could be paid to the winning side to cease hostilities or just just a mutual ceasefire. But theres much more to this that the above two points.
do i sence a Utopia style of play in there :P

But you are right, as long as ppl are able to team up they will as 2 is always easier then one. I mean you would profit alot more from raping another alliance with 2 allies then doing it alone. Guess we have to face the fact pa will never be without powerblocks
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 02:58   #10
Chaos

Chaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enough
Quote:

nice idea. BUT.. that would let you have an easy way to find the coords of another ally.

smaller alliances would be crushed. as all you had todo was to declare war on a small ally. then wipe them out. getting nice roids while your at it. and you don't even hafto know the coords. as the only one you can attack is the one your at war with.

-Chaos
R7-R11 : HR HC / NoS Head Techie / NoS WC
R12 : Retired <- GF gives ultimatum. PA or Her.
R13 : HR Peon -> BC -> MC (GC of Winning Gal)
R14 : HR HC
R15 : Retired <- GF dumps me cuz of PA.
R16 : HR Peon
R19 : Omen BC
R20-R30 : Retired
R31 : HR Peon

Someone give me a dictionary.
Cuz I don't seem to know what retired means. =/
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 09:21   #11
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Wandows
do i sence a Utopia style of play in there :P

But you are right, as long as ppl are able to team up they will as 2 is always easier then one. I mean you would profit alot more from raping another alliance with 2 allies then doing it alone. Guess we have to face the fact pa will never be without powerblocks

Never played Utopia nor read on its game design, so cant confirm unfortunately.

Last edited by Zeus; 15 Sep 2003 at 09:29.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 09:28   #12
Zeus
True Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Chaos
nice idea. BUT.. that would let you have an easy way to find the coords of another ally.

smaller alliances would be crushed. as all you had todo was to declare war on a small ally. then wipe them out. getting nice roids while your at it. and you don't even hafto know the coords. as the only one you can attack is the one your at war with.

-Chaos
Regards finding co-ords of another alliance, I dont see why that has to be a problem. Planets should fly their alliance flags anyways and be proud of them. As all alliance would be equal in memebers, wars would be won by politics and skill of your memebers, instead of "bashing them" Think of 200 alliances in top 200 listings alongside those alliances which are at war and those that are not. No hiding of co-ords, so you can gather intel on your prospect enemy and make decision to go to war or not. Then your enemy has chance to get intel on you and make decision to goto war or offer your alliance tribute...etc..etc..
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 09:36   #13
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
In old PA the random rounds always got boring after a while as you don't know who's who. It might be a nice idea to let alliances pick wether they want to be visible or not and give the improved defence eta only to alliances that are visible. That might stirr up some activity.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 11:04   #14
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie
In old PA the random rounds always got boring after a while as you don't know who's who. It might be a nice idea to let alliances pick wether they want to be visible or not and give the improved defence eta only to alliances that are visible. That might stirr up some activity.
I kind of like the sound of that. But problem is that the first alliance to 'go public' will be wiped out. Probably only an alliance or group of alliance that is already reasonably in the lead of a round will use it and make themselves virtually impossible to be pulled back in one quick move.

Mayby however it is a good idea to show all alliance members from a certain tick onwards. Like for instance from tick 1000 onwards you can see alliancename with every planet that is part of an alliance. That would really stirr up things.

hAl
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 11:32   #15
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
I think my current alliance would go public right away. We have good def and fear nobody. Remember that defence gives score too. And the attackers have no scans yet. Come and get us if you can.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 12:04   #16
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
As all alliance would be equal in memebers
Why would all aliances be equal in size? Even now with a 150 member cap all alliances arent equal in size. Sure the top alliances like Ely, Eclipse, ToT etc etc are more than likely full but after the top 10 or so alliances the rest are struggling to get up to 75 members from what i have seen and heard.

Tbh the 150 limit is way too high, if it had been put at 75 or maybe even 50 it would have meant a lot more alliances of similar strength and thus a lot more action in the round.
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 13:20   #17
themast
Punk

themast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by JC

Tbh the 150 limit is way too high, if it had been put at 75 or maybe even 50 it would have meant a lot more alliances of similar strength and thus a lot more action in the round.
yes you have a point there
Rd6&7 4D (20:8:6) & (20:2:10) Rd14 ND (2:5:4)
Rd8 Did not play Rd15 Did not play
Rd9 4D/SWaRM (13:4:10) Rd16 ND (14:1:6)
Rd9.5 SWaRM (42:7:4) Rd17 ND (13:10:8)
Rd10 SWaRM (21:4:7) Rd18 ND (13:6:8)
Rd10.5 SWaRM (5:5:10) Rd19 ND - HC (1:9:3)
Rd11 ND (32:2:10) Rd36 ND 7:9:7
Rd12 ND (30:10:1)
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 18:06   #18
Yan-Je

Yan-Je is an unknown quantity at this point
hmmm, well, i just gotta say that by gathering up a bunch of small alliances, u'll still be unable to bring down any big alliances. u're gunna need coordination which gets more trickier as the more planets you have participating. as well as that, you'll prob end up boosting their score if you do end up mass-attacking them (if u manage to find their coords first that is)
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 18:17   #19
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Such things never work, to be able to even compete with the top alliance/block you require a significant number of alliances involved. Each one of these alliance has its own ideas and ego's which just get in the way. Its difficult enough to keep a working relationship between the three alliances that a block normally has let alone the 6, 8, 12 a block of smaller alliances need
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 18:24   #20
boba
[G-II]

boba has a little shameless behaviour in the past
BALOR U BIG NOOB
boba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Sep 2003, 10:26   #21
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold
... why does the word "Revolt" come to mind?

This kind of activity can only ever prove a point, it cannot succeed imo.

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Oct 2003, 13:17   #22
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts
Re: To the high command of the smaller alliances

Sorry. I tried this a couple of rounds ago. You have to get all alliances to work as one and to agree to it. This is almost impossible. You then got to remember why these alliances are small - they are inactive. You wont be able to get them to attack together. Then you have to find all of the coords to attack which is by no means simple.

Rc mayhem
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Oct 2003, 17:15   #23
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: To the high command of the smaller alliances

Thats a little harsh. Small alliances arent small becuase they are inactive. Small alliances players are often as active as the average large alliance player. The difference is small alliances have less members, this means they have less ships in total to call upon, so are easier targets and defence is steached alot eaiser.

I've said this hundreds of times and will continue to say it is you can have too many cooks. One leader/HC can control their single alliance with no problem as they are working from the same page, introduce a second alliance bringing a second leader/HC into the mix and the ego's immediatly cause problems. One group will immediatly try and impose themselves as leaders and try and do everything their way with the other alliance fighting it. This leads to tension between the alliances as decisons that benifit one of the alliances only try to get pushed through and inevitably this filters down into members. They wont defend each other, wont attack together, wont be civil to each other until everything breaks down. And the more alliances you get involved the larger this problem gets.

And trust me I should know as ive had my experiance of these first hand. First being back in r2 against WaC when a number of us ganged up to take them on. Many hours were spent coming up with the plans but when it came to the implementation it struggled. While UXF and ourselves were totally committed to the action due to being the alliances WaC seemed to be focusing on, others however wernt. Fury for example agreed to join in but refused to attack WaC directly, instead taking their allies. Afterwards it became clear they had no intent to really help this succeed instead they were positioning themselves to mount a challenge for the top spot, with others were simply looking for a stronger position for themselves and once the WaC NAP's appeared they dropped out. Each alliance had their own agenda which had doomed this to failure leaving those who stayed committed to the cause the only option to disband and regroup as a new alliance the next round (except us who were too stubborn to give in and continued attacking WaC with what can best be described as "guerilla warfare" which was surpisngly successful but which probally cemeneted our position as 'aslo' rans in future rounds)

The second was CUDOS (F-Crew, IPC, LOST, NV, OPA), which really was simerlar to this idea. It was a Block of alliances but without the usual charachteristics of a block. Was fairly successful for those involved until ego's got in the way. While the Likes of myself, Eddie,Mike, Keystroke and Smokeh seemed to get on fine other HC members on both sides cuased alot of friction. This just built until there was a hatred for F-Crew in IPC and a hatred for IPC in F-Crew which came to a haed when IPC ok'd an attack on f-crew planets in a CUDOS galaxy. The ego's of some were soley responsable for this failing
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote