User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Sep 2003, 20:14   #1
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Public service announcement--(or)--"think before you post"

Threads that start like this, this, or this
aren't "good", "interesting", or otherwise worth anyone's time.

I would rather AD be "dead" than littered with crap like this, and I doubt I'm alone in thinking that.

Nothing good comes of it, as you'll notice two of those threads are closed (the other one probably should have been). See a pattern there?

Granted the politics of today aren't even remotely as interesting as they were "way back when", you people could at least try to post something worth reading.

/rant

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 20:16   #2
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
cochese for mod!

he's right you guys, quit being crap fs

and at least if you're going to accuse an alliance of doing something, grow the balls to say so with your own account.
ta.
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 20:27   #3
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm ok with it tbh.
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 20:30   #4
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Nor are threads like this.

Any threads are better than none.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 20:54   #5
General1
Rah's def wh0re

General1 will become famous soon enoughGeneral1 will become famous soon enough
Get on irc need 2 send you some things Scouce
Rd4 ---> 246 24 10 Silverwolf of Limburg [TFD] [Cell] [NFU]
Rd5 ---> 34 11 19 The great Returning of me [Cell] [NFU]
Rd6----> 6 25 10 Chappa'ai of NOX Homeland (Whitebull) [Silver BC]
Rd7----> 18 18 1 Klaj Demon of Gateway from Hell [RAH]
Rd8----> 36 5 6 1 More TIME of Free Traders Inc [RAH]
Rd9----> 16 2 10 Clan McIntosh of Stardust Guardian [RAH]
Rd9.5 ---> 15 9 9 Nightshade of Sherwood forest [RAH]
Rd10 ----> [RAH]
General1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 20:55   #6
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse

Even the GD'ers have realized that simply isn't so.

It's a sad day for AD when we need to have a thread like this sticked at the top of the forum.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 21:31   #7
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Aryn
cochese for mod!
Been there, done that, moved on.

But hey, I'm rather quiet about alliances these says, am I not?

So to all of you out there:
I have managed to change, and so can you!

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 21:49   #8
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice
go Cochese
DukePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 13:05   #9
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold
cochese

pa is dead anyways in a few weeks, dont bother about it.
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*
Legator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 14:00   #10
DarkAngel
Nothing Is Forever.

DarkAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Nor are threads like this.
beat me 2 it :\

Quote:
i wouldnt say that :\
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 14:20   #11
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
kerrysoup > AD
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 14:30   #12
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
I would rather AD be "dead" than littered with crap like this, and I doubt I'm alone in thinking that
I thought AD was already dead?
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 16:20   #13
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future
atleast it is something to moan about + entertaining.

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 16:54   #14
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Agreed.
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 17:59   #15
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
heh

You can tell people until your face is blue and theirs covered in spittle. You can post rants until your fingers fall off. People. Just. Don't. Listen.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 19:29   #16
WipeOut
Playboy

WipeOut is an unknown quantity at this point
The fact that this is (in my opinion) the first thread worth replying to in the last few weeks, nicely backs up your statement Cochese.
Unread 24 Sep 2003, 04:50   #17
Som1

Som1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Boards are as good as their moderators

Democracy means to elect it's dictator, it's the game of democracy, all leaders does the same ****, there's no more freedom in a democracy
Som1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2003, 10:05   #18
WipeOut
Playboy

WipeOut is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Som1
Bollox. A board's quality is defined by the quality, intelligence and wit of the mods, yes, but more importantly: the users.

The users create threads, mix into discussion and reply to threads. Moderators 'merely' moderate (when they mix into discussion, they act as users).

Blaming people like JBG (who is doing an excellent job imho) for the display of dullness and stupidity here lately, it utmost pathetic, and too easy.
Unread 24 Sep 2003, 12:25   #19
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

furssie can only hope to improve
Re: heh

Quote:
Originally posted by Banned
Banned for mod \o/
Unread 24 Sep 2003, 13:16   #20
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
it just aint so dear

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2003, 14:14   #21
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
So this is an ALLLIANCE DISCUSSION?

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2003, 15:06   #22
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Best. Post. Ever.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2003, 17:28   #23
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
I throw open the floor and admit to being stumped on this issue. How would you improve AD? I can't speak for the other mods but I have not received any suggestions in this area for a long time.

Partly I believe it's due to the changing game dynamics. There are just under 2000 paying customers this round I believe. Of these it appears that about 5-600 are a) unsatisfied and unmotivated or b) do not have enough time to play properly. That leaves about 1400 paying customers. That is less than one hundredth of the planets (I won't say players) we had during r4. Is it surprising that there is far less discussion, far less debate, far less room for alliance manuevering, far less potential for change?

Partly it's caused by the change of the opinions of most people towards the game and the forums. I've read many people who said that AD has no influence on the decisions of alliance HCs (this would be incredibly stupid to debate as any influence it had on you you wouldn't be able to detect but never mind), however it does have an influence on basically those people "without a clue". This is your average rank and file alliance member who launches his ships where he's told and doesn't question his HC because they won't tell him anyways (good alliances shouldn't tell their members everything, common sense 101). He knows little concrete information and as such is susceptible to whatever group is yelling their tripe the loudest, the amount of truth contained is entirely irrelevant. Through no real fault of his own he does not possess enough knowledge to carry on a rational factually based debate, thus cutting down on the number of possible interesting discussions that can take place.

There is a slight remaining (largely causeless) bias against allying with anyone else due to the extreme stagnation and boredom most people identified it with during the last two rounds to see large-scale "blocking" and all it's effects. This has resulted in an irrational prejudice against political machinations of any kind (the element of the game which made it so much fun in my opinion). AD has seen little discussion because there is little information to discuss and a paucity of viewpoints to discuss it from. You can't artificially inject excitement into the game from a discussions board, it happens the other way round. Honestly what is there to discuss? Nobody appears to be admitting to allying anyone else so discussing that is a bit stupid. Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of individual alliances and their members and HC will tell us we don't know enough, probably true in most cases.

To be perfectly honest I don't know what I'm supposed to do about that.

PS Boards are not as good as their moderators. The best and most entertaining board I've ever read had some of the most shockingly poor mods (by most standards) I've ever seen. Boards are made by the posters they have and the subjects there are to discuss. It seems a bit obvious to me to be honest.
Unread 25 Sep 2003, 20:04   #24
Anakin
Stealth & Shadows

Anakin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by WipeOut
The fact that this is (in my opinion) the first thread worth replying to in the last few weeks, nicely backs up your statement Cochese.
Find your way onto irc father, your children would like to speek with you.

- True Illuminati.
Anakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2003, 18:24   #25
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
No.
Unread 28 Sep 2003, 05:09   #26
aza1

aza1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Boards are as good as their moderators? Last time i checked the moderators do not make the majority of the posts. Thats probably why i disagree with this thread started by cochese, if anything i think that AD is over moderated especially considering the smaller player base issue which jonnybgood points out.
aza1 is offline   Reply With Quote