User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 25 Nov 2002, 15:10   #1
Messiah
Set Free

Messiah is an unknown quantity at this point
Installing programs on a university network

I'm at Aberdeen university atm, and going from 56k modem to broadband is almost erotic.

However, they don't seem to like or let people install programs. This seems such a waste of great bandwidth.

I'm sure there's a way I coudl install a program, but I can't figure it out. Can anyone shed some light on how i could install and run (as a purely hypothetical example, of course), kazaa or morpheus?

It's a windows 2000 workstation, i can try and obtain any other information you might need.
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 15:19   #2
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
I don't think P2P programs need any registry keys to run, so you could try bringing an installed copy from home on floppy/CD.

I don't think there are any ways around that security under win2k...
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 16:09   #3
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
buy your own computer, hide a wireless gateway in a closeby network socket and leech away
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 16:11   #4
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Win2K (contrary to all previous Microsoft attempts) has really good file security afaik. Messing with it (or trying to) will likely result in a total ban from all university IT systems if they have an even half competent admin.

Stick to trying to run it from CD if it'll let you

Oh, and if you think you have it bad consider me and my 2Mbs work connection and my 56k home dialup
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 16:23   #5
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
any stupidly large shared file folders?

on our uni network the staff basically just share their whole comps, i found movies, mp3s and something in a folder called "Dave's farmyard pictures" (no need to say i didn't see what was in that one )

they allocate us 10mb of disk space but then i've found crap like q3, champ manager etc installed in the shared folders

(i even found some ahem 'revision' aids regarding a test we had )
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 17:47   #6
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
well unless you can get the administrator pass somehow I'd say make another partition and install another o.s. It might sound crazy but its not, just wait till your lecturer says he'll be gone for an hour and there you are

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 18:34   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Your uni almost certainly has some kind of internal fileshare network. eg. here we have a Direct Connect hub with ~ 5Tb of stuff floating about.
Since some of the guys who WORK at the Computing Services deptartment use it (you can tell by the IP address) it's not in much danger of going anywhere either...

Unread 25 Nov 2002, 23:40   #8
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
yeah, I've tried installing CD burners on the windows server at my uni since the one they provide under is utter crap.

No go though.... but then I've found emulator/arcade games installed on the shared C:

Since then I've wasted alot of hours playing bomberman against ppl on the network
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 02:41   #9
Lord211

if you want a p2p sharing util for a lan such as a uni network, try LUSerNet it was developed by me and a few mates at uni last year, and works really well.

It is coded in vb, as that was the language of choice of the main coder, but apart from that slight setback it works a charm, and is really easy to install, setup, and use.

The hardest thing about it tbh is getting everyone to use it, but we chose word of mouth, and had over 2Tb shared within a term and a half