User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 24 May 2009, 10:41   #1
zPeti

zPeti has a spectacular aura aboutzPeti has a spectacular aura aboutzPeti has a spectacular aura about
Explanation of tonight

After a really really bad nights sleep, our servers are back up.

I phoned Fubra at 2am when I noticed that servers were down. This morning I got this explanation from them.

------------------
Dear All

We've had some problems this morning involving a failure of the chiller system at the Manor data centre. The fault has been isolated to a pump malfunction on one of three chiller units causing depressurisation of the system and loss of coolant. Unfortunately before the fault could be rectified we had an increase of temperature that caused our core switches to shut themselves down.

The faulty chiller has been isolated and the system repressurised and is now performing normally. We have enough chiller capacity in place to run without the faulty unit and expect no further problems withe the cooling system.

These switches have now been fixed and are running normally.

If you have colocation with us then please check over your equipment at the earliest convenient time and get back to me on my mobile if any assistance is required from our end.

If you have container/edge hosting with us, then please bear with us a little while longer whilst we run integrity checks on storage. We hope to get everything back online within the next couple of hours. Again, if you have any queries then please get back to me on the numbers below.

Please accept my apologies for the problems experienced this morning and be assured we are doing everything we can to restore services as quickly as possible.

Kind Regards,

Mark Sutton
Fubra Limited

------------------------

I am really sorry everyone, I was really hoping we would make it through this round without any problems.

PATeam will inform you shortly about where we will go from here.

I am very very sorry.
Pete
zPeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2009, 10:44   #2
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Explanation of tonight

To be fair you gave an explanation and an apology which keeps me happy so I'm not too fussed by it.

Plus I was out late last night.

And I have stuff to do today.

So I'm not too unhappy about it.

But thanks!
Unread 24 May 2009, 10:53   #3
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, not that bothered about last nights downtime.

Lunar_Lamp was online, who gave updates in #planetarion and kept the topic updated. Then we got told that if it wasnt back up within the tick.. it wouldnt tick for 24hours (due to downtime procedure). So all was fine, as we didnt go 40mins-2hours of not knowing what was going on. It was a simple, "if its not up within 20minutes, go to bed".

Then there's you making an apology and explaining the full situation (without being provoked). So meh, its how downtime should be handled
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2009, 12:04   #4
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

My round is complete. I was getting worried we hadnt had one to be fair

but yeah it was handled pretty well so good stuff!
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2009, 12:29   #5
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

The fact I was surprised you started this thread says enough.
I am pleasantly surprised by this! Well communicated. And ya, shit happens. Let's hope for not another downtime :-)
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2009, 12:43   #6
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

This post/explanation/communication gets the official Ascendancy seal of approval
Unread 24 May 2009, 13:04   #7
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Well, i was gonna whine about PA being down the one night i was bothered not to prelaunch, but then I saw this message and started to weep openly.

Thanks for the update zPeti!
Unread 24 May 2009, 13:15   #8
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

I'm going to echo what everyone else has said but it's been handled well, and the new downtime procedure seems to keep everyone (except random idiots who join #planetarion demanding for the game to be brought back up at a time convenient for them) happy
Unread 24 May 2009, 13:38   #9
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

But what about the people that don't use irc/forums? They have no info and the game is still down, even though you say the servers are running normally again?

By all means, i appreciate the good updates on irc/forums! But you've been saying you want to help new players, and the new players probably aren't reading this or the topic in #planetarion on irc.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Linkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2009, 13:44   #10
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The portal is indeed suspiciously devoid of information.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2009, 13:45   #11
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkie View Post
By all means, i appreciate the good updates on irc/forums! But you've been saying you want to help new players, and the new players probably aren't reading this or the topic in #planetarion on irc.
Yeah thinking about it, there was no updates on the portal or login screen

Same for the speed-game which is no longer ticking.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2009, 14:37   #12
HellKicker
Fook Yu
Cell-Out Champion

HellKicker is a jewel in the roughHellKicker is a jewel in the roughHellKicker is a jewel in the rough

Oh man i got so wasted last night, perfect timing!
Unread 25 May 2009, 02:51   #13
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Didn't check the game at all last night, however when I tried to login early in the afternoon the site obviously wasn't accessible. It's obvious to experienced players to check IRC - but this shouldn't be the case.

DNS was dead, so I couldn't see the portal (or game) to see any announcements. Any chance of perhaps sorting your DNS so it doesn't die so easily? Also a super cheap server (virtual server?) which serves static content to say "we're down, sorry!" which you can switch to if problems occur.

Failures do happen (regularly it seems ), would be nice if there was a bit more of a backup plan to inform players of any problems instead of relying on everyone to join an IRC channel to get any updates.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2009, 03:13   #14
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

Oi! I never seen this much positive feedback after a downperiod in PA ever! props from me too. I got to develop awsome paint skills instead of DCing!

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2009, 03:18   #15
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellKicker View Post
Oh man i got so wasted last night, perfect timing!
Thought you quit? ;p

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2009, 07:43   #16
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

immpeccable timing , 1st lie in i have all round and the game goes down . thanks for letting people know what the problem was the new downtime procedure worked nicely , noone on the forums giving out bout fleet recalls was an added bonus
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2009, 07:47   #17
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

its just a better time of day for the servers to go down.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2009, 07:53   #18
Machado
Seraphim

Machado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the rough

I had a nice day of sleep
Unread 25 May 2009, 13:21   #19
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Servers down or a gift to PA community on a bank holiday? its all good

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2009, 17:10   #20
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

I was at a wedding saturday and had loads of sleep on sunday!
THANK YOU DOWNTIME

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote