User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 25 May 2009, 22:15   #1
TheDumb

TheDumb is on a distinguished road
The new "No Recall Rule"

Hello guys

As topic already said we are here to give our opinion about this new "no recall rule" after game crashes...

I will lose 1-2 min of your time to tell you what happen to me - I had chance to launch on attack 10-20 min befor last game crash. Unscheduled DT rule said in such cases game is reopened after 23 hours and tick will tick again without any change. Real problem in this was that i was not able to access my account after that 23 hours and was not able to be here befor my new land time. Of course Rule says, as i learned later, I have to contact Appoc... but this measure it even more evil than rule it self. All consequences becouse of this are ruining game mechanics... What if recalling cause fleet lose becouse befor or after DT someone launch on you and land... What if he run your fleet to gal m8 that have inc and that inc kills you... and etc and etc. all possibilites are so complicated that any touch is ruining game itself.

Im sure lots of you had such problem - fleet launch on attack and crashed / production came out and killed from inc who none could defend / lose fleet becouse you couldnt flee.

Ppl with no life even like this change, I bet, but as I believe most of us are ppl with life and real life issues. I for instance launch on attack only if i can be online near landing time and to check result. This new rule make havoc in all attack and defence strategies and plans and I believe its EVIL and should be removed. I dont see option here to make a pool do you like the change or not but definately i will be happy to "hear" what you are thinking here in this thread.

As ppl in #support channel said they will enjoy to see your opinion on this matter too

Regards,
TheDumb.
TheDumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2009, 22:24   #2
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold
Re: The new "No Recall Rule"

You DO have 24 hours to make sure your fleets are recalled. If you can be online to check the landing, you can be online to make sure the recall happens. The only issue I have with this particular downtime is that it took a lot of time between the servers running normally again (according to Pete) and the game actually going back up. Obviously people should be able to access the game as quickly as possible so they can recall their fleets themselves instead of having to go through the hassle of getting on irc and contacting appoco. Obviously a lot of people might not be aware of this the first time it happens either (as in your case). Therefore they should have a site hosted on a seperate server or something, which they can put up when the game goes down where there's an e-mail to contact the people that can recall fleets and information about the downtime.

There's no need to remove the current procedure, it just needs improvement.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Linkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2009, 22:26   #3
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Of course Rule says, as i learned later, I have to contact Appoc...
I don't see a problem with that so long as the pa login screen tells you that you need to email (or whatever) such and such to get your fleets recalled. Ideally there would be a passport system where you could login regardless of downtime and tick a "recall all fleets when the game opens" option or something.

As far as how the new downtime procedure affects game dynamics, man, there's been endless discussions about that in the past on these forums. Though majority thought recalling all fleets sucks (or maybe thats what I think and my memory is biassed).
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2009, 22:27   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

For the vast majority of people, this downtime procedure works much better than the one we had before. Your story, though regrettable, is really an exception.

As was this downtime. "Normally" the game is inaccessible for only a short period of time, say, an hour, two tops. This time, the game was down for about 18 hours, leaving very little time to recall, especially for people who have a life.

(Yeah, what Linkie and Newt said)
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2009, 22:33   #5
TheDumb

Humm so I believe something with me is wrong or at least this forum is not the right place Anyway i want to thank you for your opinion
Unread 25 May 2009, 22:43   #6
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of

hey TheDumb (man, I feel like I'm trolling just by saying your name ) check out these threads where the downtime procedure was discussed. Most deal solely with the recalling-all-fleets aspect. In chronological order (and probably many more from earlier):
  1. rant about recalling all fleets
  2. plea for a new downtime procedure to be created
  3. 'official' post by appocomaster describing the new procedure + discussion

If we were to discuss it again in this thread, we'd simply be repeating stuff said in those.

edit: your point about these forums being the wrong place to ask about this might be true though! Everyone venting anger about the old procedures is a so-called pa-superstar that lives for the game (I like my exaggerations). But then again.. even for the very inactive player, I personally can't see a major problem with the current setup.
Unread 25 May 2009, 22:50   #7
TheDumb

im sure alot of interesting things will be found it this topics... and alot of decissions are made becouse forum is not so popular and ppl come here mainly to whine all is spinning... ppl didnt liked rule as it was discused and change it.. now ppl that dont like new one will come... (or im realy wrong and im the only one) i will not push that spin... i had 30 rounds rest, i see another 30 are coming

Thanks again for your effort to give me that info
Unread 26 May 2009, 07:27   #8
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

If you launched your attack and was here in the morning to check if it was landing or not, you would surely see the game was down, and when it was coming back online again.

The only reason i see to crash like you did, is being ignorant!
You had 24-30 hours to recall your fleet before it landed and died, which means you didnt even log in after it came online! In other words you were away from the game for so long that people could have landed and killed you 3 times already!

This is an internet game, if you dont use your internet then how can you expect the internet to be nice to you!
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2009, 07:28   #9
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Sorry Hanzi, but that's just bullshit. What you said is neither true nor fair.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 26 May 2009, 07:33   #10
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

he launched an attack around tick 2200 gametime, if it has eta8 from there like most fleets this round, it was landing 0600 gametime.

The game came online again around 1600 gametime the next day, so this means he did not log in after the game came online, and for another 14 hours! Thats in addition to the fact he knew when the game would be ticking again!

So really, if he has an habit of logging into his account at this rate, he will be dead several times a week even without a rollback
Unread 26 May 2009, 07:41   #11
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNzI View Post
he launched an attack around tick 2200 gametime, if it has eta8 from there like most fleets this round, it was landing 0600 gametime.

The game came online again around 1600 gametime the next day, so this means he did not log in after the game came online, and for another 14 hours! Thats in addition to the fact he knew when the game would be ticking again!

So really, if he has an habit of logging into his account at this rate, he will be dead several times a week even without a rollback
That's just rubbish, some lesser active players cant always attack or be online every day. Some log on from school some log on from internet cafe's etc.. Some can't attack or be online certain days, so for them the no recall rule might cause situations like this. The 10 hour window with the game inaccessible was what killed his fleet.
Unread 26 May 2009, 09:52   #12
morrow

morrow is just really nicemorrow is just really nicemorrow is just really nicemorrow is just really nicemorrow is just really nice

Given the fact that the problem in this particular case stems from the fact that the servers were down quite a while and the time between when the servers were back up and the game started ticking again was (comparatively) short, I suggest that the 24h timer to restart ticks starts counting from the moment the servers are back up (accessible); by this ample opportunity should be provided to inform players and help out those with few log on opportunities.
Unread 26 May 2009, 13:01   #13
newt
Banned

Or how about if the game is inaccessbile for more than 4hrs (or some other sensible time indicating a serious problem), all fleets are recalled.
Unread 26 May 2009, 14:28   #14
[JungleMuffin]
Apple Hunt Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1
^^^^ Can you blv that sh*t?
[JungleMuffin] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2009, 15:20   #15
TheDumb

HaNzI ... m8.... let me explain how the things happen... i woke up in the morning and checked PA, just to see standart IE message that page can not be displayed. There was no message no options no nothing to inform me what is going on. After few refreshes i went to do my job. My job throw me to a place where i had no internet access and took my time as long as it was needed my fleet to land and to lose ships.

It is that simple.

As i already said if you are nolife person and waste all your time to play and observe internet based browser game (especialy during weekends), lots of us are not like you and I am realy sorry you.

I will put a side note - if im away for long period of time and i lose all my ships it will be only my fault and nothing else. It will be caused becouse of my action or becouse missing of action. In case we have now... I'm totaly out of control... Possibility admins to change orders gave befor DT disbalance game becouse give advantage to some of players. It is same as if i contact them now and request to send my entire fleet to fake def aftter 34 ticks becouse that time i will be somewhere.

Thats from me.

P.S. Please lock/delete this topic, I dont think something else can be said here
Unread 26 May 2009, 15:32   #16
newt
Banned

I'm changing my opinion now - the downtime procedure is bad. I didn't know the game was completely down and such - giving you no idea what to do or when it would be back up.

If I were you I would talk to appocomaster - he might give you resources to rebuy your ships as a one off? Seems the fair thing to do.... although against protocol no doubt.

This is definitely the fault of planetarion and not your's though.
Unread 26 May 2009, 15:56   #17
newt
Banned

In other more exciting news, I just exiled into your galaxy TheDumb!
Unread 26 May 2009, 16:18   #18
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDumb View Post
HaNzI ... m8.... let me explain how the things happen... i woke up in the morning and checked PA, just to see standart IE message that page can not be displayed. There was no message no options no nothing to inform me what is going on. After few refreshes i went to do my job. My job throw me to a place where i had no internet access and took my time as long as it was needed my fleet to land and to lose ships.
I dont see why people dont understand what im saying here.
you logged in and found the game unaccessable, thats fair enough not your fault. The game came online between 10-12 hours later, and from then it was possible to recall fleets but it wasnt ticking yet.

So maybe you were gone for 8-10 hours at work then, which is quite normal, and the game was still offline. Fair enough!
But the time passed from the game came online again, and until you landed your fleet was 14 hours!

So what i have been trying to explain here is that you did not check your account for ATLEAST 14 hours! And you also did not come on irc, or these forums to see what was going on!

This is partly the new rules fault, but i would say its 90% your own fault!

Have i made myself a bit more clear now?
Unread 26 May 2009, 16:34   #19
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
So what i have been trying to explain here is that you did not check your account for ATLEAST 14 hours!
Oh my god!!
Unread 26 May 2009, 16:46   #20
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

Seriously Mz, if someone dont bother to check the forums or irc to see why the game is down, in addition to not even checking in for 14+ hours, why on earth complain?

If you make a habit of not loggin in for 14+ hours every day, then you will eventually die anyways!
Unread 26 May 2009, 16:46   #21
berten
respect, unity, order

berten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I dont see why people dont understand what im saying here.
you logged in and found the game unaccessable, thats fair enough not your fault. The game came online between 10-12 hours later, and from then it was possible to recall fleets but it wasnt ticking yet.

Well, clearly TheDumb was here to check his account when it was supposed to land. He couldn't be here for the remainder of the day, and when the game opened his fleet went on, and crashed.

He probably knew he cldn't be online cause he'd be at work. He even checked before work to make sure he could land.

Clearly this is not TheDumb's fault.

In addition to this:
When i came home sunday afternoon (i was away the entire weekend) i tried to go to http://game.planetarion.com.I Got a 404 I think and checked other websites, everything seemed to work allright, so there was a problem with planetarion.

I checked the portal and could find no info there about the game being down (if there was a message on it, they should change design and make all the info around the downtime pop out of the rest of the blur).

Being a long time player my next step was to check IRC where i could find the information. Last time i checked you only need a browser to play planetarion, IRC is not required.

Clearly, imo the problem/fault here is with pa team.

Last edited by berten; 26 May 2009 at 16:48. Reason: typos
berten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2009, 16:53   #22
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by berten View Post
Well, clearly TheDumb was here to check his account when it was supposed to land. He couldn't be here for the remainder of the day, and when the game opened his fleet went on, and crashed.
He did, and i said its not his fault that the game was down obviously.

His fleet landed 24 hours! later. The game was online around 1600 gametime. So he did not check the game between 1600 and 2200, which is the 6 hours the game was accessable before it ticked. I must also point out that the information was available several hours before 1600 gametime.

Point is it didnt just tick and let his fleet die, he had a lot of time to recall it, or ATLEAST make the pretty small effort needed to find out when the game would tick again!
Unread 26 May 2009, 17:15   #23
newt
Banned

I think you'er missing the point hanzi. TheDumb lost his fleet through no fault of his own. He has managed to play the rest of the round with, what you would seem to think, is insanely inactive for planetarion.

But then he launched an attack - for which he made sure he would be online to check if it was a recall or not. But the game was down, completely - not even a login page. How was he supposed to know what to do?

Should he have done what we would probably have done - and taken a 30min break at work and hunted down an internet cafe? Should God have intervened and told his brain to get onto irc.netgamers.org and pm appocomaster?

Though you might call his style of play far too inactive, his planet was doing fine with it. It took planetarion to be down, and him not being able to recall (and having no information on what to do) for his planet to die.

Since pa wants/needs to attract more people (who initially will play with a similar level of activity), the downtime procedure needs changing.
Unread 26 May 2009, 17:38   #24
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt View Post
I think you'er missing the point hanzi.
Unread 26 May 2009, 18:18   #25
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
I think you'er missing the point hanzi. TheDumb lost his fleet through no fault of his own. He has managed to play the rest of the round with, what you would seem to think, is insanely inactive for planetarion.

But then he launched an attack - for which he made sure he would be online to check if it was a recall or not. But the game was down, completely - not even a login page. How was he supposed to know what to do?

Should he have done what we would probably have done - and taken a 30min break at work and hunted down an internet cafe? Should God have intervened and told his brain to get onto irc.netgamers.org and pm appocomaster?

Though you might call his style of play far too inactive, his planet was doing fine with it. It took planetarion to be down, and him not being able to recall (and having no information on what to do) for his planet to die.

Since pa wants/needs to attract more people (who initially will play with a similar level of activity), the downtime procedure needs changing.
And this was why the first downtime procedure included an automatic recall.
Unread 26 May 2009, 18:20   #26
newt
Banned

New downtime procedure is fine - but it assumes the game is only down for maybe a few mins, before the login screen is put back up with relevant information. This is the case with most downtimes.

A new procedure is needed for longer complete-downtimes.
Unread 26 May 2009, 18:38   #27
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
This scenario was foreseen and compensated for. The downtime procedure doesn't need changing it needs publication. If the game dies you need a giant flashing neon sign saying PM APPOCOMASTER OR MAIL 1.1.1 INGAME IF YOU NEED YOUR FLEET RECALLED. That said I'd consider changing it if the game genuinely aimed at attracting new people and did something about it.
Unread 26 May 2009, 18:56   #28
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

A mass email to all accounts might be useful to try and get the attention of all players instead of waiting for them to come to the site to find out. Be active instead of passive when things go wrong.

It might also be a good idea to remind players of the procedure when downtime occurs - the portal news article saying when the game stopped/started didn't really go into that much detail. Yes I know there's a page mentioning it, but users shouldn't really have to hunting through the rules - remind them of it.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2009, 21:01   #29
newt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
This scenario was foreseen and compensated for. The downtime procedure doesn't need changing it needs publication. If the game dies you need a giant flashing neon sign saying PM APPOCOMASTER OR MAIL 1.1.1 INGAME IF YOU NEED YOUR FLEET RECALLED. That said I'd consider changing it if the game genuinely aimed at attracting new people and did something about it.
Either the downtime procedure needs changing, or there needs to be someway via the planetarion site itself where you can have your fleets recalled if there's a downtime. [irc can be blocked, obviously you can't pa mail ingame, and you might not have access to the email account you signed up with to email appoco (assuming you would need to use that)]

I assume you can also ask appocomaster to recall your fleets + set them into +11 prelaunch?
Unread 26 May 2009, 21:25   #30
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You could just let users set a 'safety catch' on their accounts, so when events like this happen, their fleets are automatically set to recall unless they login and turn it off.

The one concern is that people might end up fc'ing themselves, so if people have got any suggestions...
Unread 26 May 2009, 21:41   #31
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

I find it best if all fleets are recalled. This can be a mean thing to do if u were running a succesfull attack. But in all honesty the downtime usually causes plenty of changes in to battle outcomes and usually will bring in some crashes also. If you were online to launch def the other night, u might not be there the next night.

So I feel most fair solution is to recall all fleets.
Unread 26 May 2009, 21:42   #32
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

man some people are just so THICK! you may call me thick for having this opinion, but im definately not wrong on my facts here.
Every responce im reading is basically just bullshit because you think he was helpless and he crashed his ships when he went to work.
let me try again:

He didnt have to check the game at all while he was at work, all he had to do was to check the game when he came back from work, or before he went to bed, or even when he got up for work on the day after! he didnt, so he crashed!

why? because the game was paused for 24 hours!! which means his attack landed 31-32 ticks after he launched it.. It was supposed to land 7, 8 or even maybe 9 ticks after he launched it, so what its pretty obvious most people in this thread thinks, is that it landed 13 ticks after he launched it, or even 20 ticks after. In other words something totally unexpected!

He landed on the exact same time as he was supposed to land the day before, and he had mountains of time before he landed to recall it, and even a few more hours to see when the game was ticking again.

i might be a bit mean, but im defending the rule as it is now because there is NOTHING wrong with it.
Unread 26 May 2009, 21:46   #33
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

It could have some minor modifications to give people a minimum of for instance 12 hours of ingame time before it ticks, which in this case would result in an additional 24hours pause because we were only given 6 hours.
Unread 26 May 2009, 21:56   #34
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
man some people are just so THICK! you may call me thick for having this opinion, but im definately not wrong on my facts here.
Every responce im reading is basically just bullshit because you think he was helpless and he crashed his ships when he went to work.
let me try again:

He didnt have to check the game at all while he was at work, all he had to do was to check the game when he came back from work, or before he went to bed, or even when he got up for work on the day after! he didnt, so he crashed!

why? because the game was paused for 24 hours!! which means his attack landed 31-32 ticks after he launched it.. It was supposed to land 7, 8 or even maybe 9 ticks after he launched it, so what its pretty obvious most people in this thread thinks, is that it landed 13 ticks after he launched it, or even 20 ticks after. In other words something totally unexpected!

He landed on the exact same time as he was supposed to land the day before, and he had mountains of time before he landed to recall it, and even a few more hours to see when the game was ticking again.

i might be a bit mean, but im defending the rule as it is now because there is NOTHING wrong with it.
I have evening and morning shifts, weekends with work and weekends out of work. My online times and availability variates from day to another. If I was able to stay up tonight and send the attack, doesnt mean I could do it the next day. You do your actions based on suspected availability on the coming days/hours. You cannot change your day rythms based on paused games and hence might not be able to check the launch u made earlier, or run your fleet as you were suppoused to under uncovered inc.

Sure I agree with u, they could have been hurted on other ground regardless, but as I stated earlier, such downtimes always afects the outcomes of the battles. Hence best option would be to force all fleets back home and give everyone a fair option to create the battles again. As there is no way u can satisfy all.
Unread 26 May 2009, 22:01   #35
newt
Banned

Quote:
let me try again:

I will take TheDump's example and take it to an extreme.

I send an attack saturday night - I wake up sunday morning to recall/leave it. I can't log in, no information for me anywhere on what to do - I'm a new player don't know what to do - and tbh, pa isn't my #1 priority in life, I don't sit at my pc spending 30mins trying to find information. Nor do I go bezerk later in the day to find an internet cafe because to me pa is a game, not a way of life.

My work calls and I'm sent to the middle of the sahara desert for 48hrs. There is no internet there. My fleet dies. I get the feeling your reply will be "well, if he was away for 48hrs he's running the risk of getting attacked and killed anyway...". Yup, and if that had happened, he wouldn't complain about it. And it is slightly different - probably 10% chance of him getting incs and dying, 100% chance that he will die by not being able to recall.
Unread 26 May 2009, 22:33   #36
TheDumb

1. Please stop flames. 10 ppls here mean 20 diferent opinions.
2. I realy promised to ppl in #support drama, but now i regret for that. Stop waste your energy into this, PLEASE!
3. Where are mighty supporters to bring back order? Game balance is their responsibility. And here what is right and wrong is not first priority... Main thing is what bring bigger profit
4. Again where are supporters or forum admins? Please close topic and this bad energy generator. If you dont want to i will be happy to "hear" your thoughts explaining why...
Unread 26 May 2009, 22:38   #37
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave View Post
I find it best if all fleets are recalled. This can be a mean thing to do if u were running a succesfull attack. But in all honesty the downtime usually causes plenty of changes in to battle outcomes and usually will bring in some crashes also. If you were online to launch def the other night, u might not be there the next night.

So I feel most fair solution is to recall all fleets.
Thing is, at the business end of the game, we lost 5 days of attacks which could have potentially been the difference between victory and defeat. I don't feel the top end of the game should be decided in this arbitrary way. I agree there need to be safeguards for the less dedicated, but recalling fleets isn't the way to do it.
Unread 26 May 2009, 22:50   #38
newt
Banned

Quote:
Again where are supporters or forum admins? Please close topic and this bad energy generator. If you dont want to i will be happy to "hear" your thoughts explaining why...
I think this is generating a healthy discussion? If you feel like we're flaming each other, its probably because we "know one another" - so talk a bit more candidly.

You should be happy to be honest - most of us are agreeing with your original post that something is wrong with the current downtime procedure...
Unread 26 May 2009, 23:01   #39
TheDumb

Gods in #support still dont believe in rightfulness of our opinion and we waste energy into this discussion becouse no matter who win nothing will happen. Also there is mainly one opponent posting here and he is, Mr. HaNzI please excuse me dont want to offend you, nolife man who dont want, and cant be made to believe in what we prove here... So i dont see point this to continue.
Unread 26 May 2009, 23:07   #40
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

i dont get offended, i just argue for what i believe in, and i get my facts right before i do. I stand for 100% of what i wrote in here, and there is no other way this main rule should be!

you could add some extra catches to it to protect people who forgets or dont care about their account, but do not change the rule as it is.
Unread 26 May 2009, 23:08   #41
newt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDumb
Gods in #support still dont believe in rightfulness of our opinion and we waste energy into this discussion becouse no matter who win nothing will happen.
Actually, I think you're wrong - I'll be a bit sad if pa team (most of #support has no say in the matter) don't acknowledge that there is something that needs to be done about this.

Maybe not a change in downtime procedure - main reason being:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokken
Thing is, at the business end of the game, we lost 5 days of attacks which could have potentially been the difference between victory and defeat. I don't feel the top end of the game should be decided in this arbitrary way. I agree there need to be safeguards for the less dedicated, but recalling fleets isn't the way to do it.
But hopefully some options in preferences as lokken suggested, or some tools outside of the game interface where you can contact pa team about having your fleet recalled more easily.
Unread 27 May 2009, 00:05   #42
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

TheDumb, I was going to make this comment yesterday, but opted against it (the sun was shining and I was asked to play football).

After reading some more of your comments, I've decided I'll not let your ignorance slide any further, as it's genuinely starting to piss me off.

You came to the forums with a genuine complaint and put it forth in a constructive manner, and for this I applaud you. Any and all actions that followed have been taking my estimations of you hastily downhill. You seem to be complaining about the responses you've been getting but I can't for the life of me see where your problem lies.

You were given numerous open-minded and civil replies to your OP so I can only ascertain that your problem lies in people not agreeing with you. Now you're saying "just close the thread" because you're not getting the answer you hoped for.

To be honest, TheDumb, for once I can honestly say that "the new guy" is the one at fault here. You're talking to people who've played the game for a long time and so have had longer exposure to various different procedures and have had the chance to weigh up the pro's and con's from various different angles. You're becoming quite venomous with your responses and I sincerely don't think this is called for.

I will echo the sentiment which is almost unanimous in response and say this: I can empathise with you on this occassion, and feel that you may have a point. But really really I feel your attitude to the responses you are getting is proving a little immature.

The community is, in one form or another, here to help; don't be upset if we don't always agree with you or your requests, but don't be afraid to share your opinon.
Unread 27 May 2009, 00:44   #43
newt
Banned

To be fair to TheDumb, he has just lost his entire fleet - so is probably annoyed, reflected by his recent posts (or I'm hoping thats the case). Could be he was also expecting a discussion with pa team about it on the forums, instead he's just got a bunch of peons offering their views... hmm, thats it, can't think of any more excuses for him!
Unread 27 May 2009, 09:23   #44
TheDumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
...You were given numerous open-minded and civil replies to your OP so I can only ascertain that your problem lies in people not agreeing with you. Now you're saying "just close the thread" because you're not getting the answer you hoped for...
Man... I will give you simple reply. My mood was terrible when i start this, becouse of problems far away from PA. Now I dont even care about it. I gave my 2 cents if someone wanna take them and make things better. I tried to explain and to point weakness in this rule but i will not wonder if sometimes i cant be understand (english is not my native and i sux useing it). Now my mood is much better and I want to stop this, if its possible. We all argue and defend our opinion, but that was already made... and most of ppl said "No recall after DT", so there is no need to start up that discussion again. Takeing some parts of my posts out of context is not right. I explained why I want this thread to be closed... Also if i offend you, or anyone else here please take my appology. This wasnt what i want to. Now see my first replys in this thread... after Newt was so kind to give me that links of old threads i said - ty, i want to step out of this now dont want to dig up in the old smelly shits... What you cant understand now?

If you want to use this thread anymore you are free to do it. But please leave me out of this becouse as I said already - This Case Is Closed For Me!

enjoy,
TheDumb

P.S. you use too many glossary words... I understood your main idea i believe but thats all.
Unread 27 May 2009, 11:10   #45
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
To be fair to TheDumb, he has just lost his entire fleet - so is probably annoyed, reflected by his recent posts (or I'm hoping thats the case). Could be he was also expecting a discussion with pa team about it on the forums, instead he's just got a bunch of peons offering their views... hmm, thats it, can't think of any more excuses for him!
He actually lost a fraction of his fleet. He seems to have neglected to mention this
He has raised a valid issue in that the 'admin intervention' thing was not as widely publicised as it should have perhaps been (though 3 people contacted me whilst not being able to login asking if I could sort their fleets out), and also that the game was down for longer than it should of been (though part of that was due to the fact the servers were down for 7+ hours, and came back up when all the admins were asleep).
We didn't anticipate an outage of this length, and perhaps in future we should look at a 48 hour downtime if the game is up for less than 12 hours before ticks resume, or similar. This can be discussed going forward.
Unread 27 May 2009, 11:32   #46
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

Surely a full fleet recall is better than a 48 hour downtime.

But I've debated this topic to death (in previous threads). What happened to TheDumb is exactly what I said would happen if the "full fleet recall" was removed.

The "community" decided that it was better to let a few people lose their fleets than to "inconvenience" the many - a decision with which I heartily disagree.
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2009, 12:22   #47
TheDumb

Appoco what you didnt understood from sentance "...leave me out of this..."? Where did i said how many ships i lost and is it most important in this case? If you all are so curious i have lost like 1/6 of mine ships and this dont change anything!

This is a browser game! not email, nor irc nor nothing else! series of issues/restrictions might not let you use irc or to send a mail. Rules must be valid in all cases and to cause equal "harm" to everyone. If you let any "if" inside, rule become weak and in our case disbalance game. It is that simple. I think 5 min after my loses is it good or bad new rule... and had at least 5 diferent scenarious that cause disbalance in geometric progression. Dont get mislead becouse of my nick... and stop scratch my "things"... Please!...

P.S. isnt that inside information that you shouldnt discuss with everyone... OMG and you are top of admins here... noob... how can i take you serious now? lol...
Unread 27 May 2009, 12:29   #48
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Perhaps we could look forward towards better solutions?

Full fleet recall in addition to downtime sucks, simple as that. If the game dies in the morning during most attacks we would've had 24 hours downtime along with additional wasted time as you have to wait for the next nights attacks before you get going again. No fleet recalls just shifts the game 24 hours later, but as in this situation there are people who might be unable to login. Having to contact an admin to recall your fleet isn't exactly an ideal situation, especially with the huge disclaimer that it's a best effort service and not something guaranteed.

Surely it's about time that a limited login mode is added to the game? I know it sounds like a huge amount of effort for something which shouldn't really happen, but unfortunately downtime does happen - even though you don't want it to.

I think given this thread players should have to login and confirm they still want to attack. Failure to login before the game restarts should result in your fleet recalling automatically. This way players who are unable to login to recall (like this thread shows) should be protected, along with players who decide that they won't be around to scan their target planet before landing.

When downtime occurs, send a mass email (not ingame mail - it's useless) to all planets with details for when the game restarts, saying that they need to login and confirm for their fleets to continue attacking. Don't be passive and expect players to know, an email might be enough to alert a few more people.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2009, 12:29   #49
Shev
So what?

Shev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to behold

You know, the more he talks, the more glad I am this guy got screwed over by a still slightly too unclear procedure.

(I must admit I assumed the game had to be accessible for 24 hours before ticking again when I read the new procedure - this would still be the most elegant solution to the problem from this thread. Possibly even more than 24 hours if you wanted to maintain continuity with GMT, but I don't see why it needs to - this is a 24 hour game, regardless of the "only attack at 6am" mentality of most.)

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2009, 12:36   #50
newt
Banned

Quote:
geometric progression.
Good stuff that as my first glimpse into the power of infinity, mucho fun.

Quote:
P.S. isnt that inside information that you shouldnt discuss with everyone... OMG and you are top of admins here... noob... how can i take you serious now? lol...
Seriously... re-read kenny's post.

As for the downtime procedure its quite simple! The ~500 hardcore players left desperately want fleets to not be recalled. Those are the players that keep planetarion alive at the moment. If planetarion becomes a game of 10000s again, having all fleets recalled might be viable.