User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 May 2010, 10:19   #101
x-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Takion Champion

x-dANGEr is infamous around these parts
Re: Single targetting to return.. Opinions!!!

Then, I guess I'm not. ))

If you can comfort a tear, do so, but never agrieve someone innocent.
x-dANGEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2010, 14:39   #102
Gerbie2
Alive and kicking

Gerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to all

With multitargetting you have a choice of which ship to build and which not. With singletargetting you need just about every ship there is. That leaves a lot less choice to determine your own strategy.
Gerbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2010, 15:31   #103
ricoshay
Save energy: Be apathetic

ricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to behold

Heh, you could set it up with your alliance/galaxy. Not sure if ST will be good or bad, but the game definetly needs a [new] factor. :/
Unread 10 May 2010, 16:56   #104
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
No.
Good for you

The reason Mz isn't willing to explain is because it is not upon him to teach you how to understand the question at hand, so that you can take part of the conversation. Instead, it is upon you to make sure you are well informed enough to understand the subject before entering into a discussion of it. Otherwise people get used to the idea that they can spout any old stupid sh*t they like, and they'll simply be corrected later on. This just piles up more work for him to explain why they are wrong, without him getting anything out of it in return.

And everything is statistics, when you are trying to extrapolate patterns to gain greater understanding from personal experience, you are naturally employing the basic tools of statistics. This is also why sample size matters. Otherwise, you might make predictions such as that if you do not sacrifice a virgin to the harvest-god, a plague will take your fields of wheat. Basically, nearly all misconceptions of reality are based on the misunderstanding of statistics.

Fck, I'm going soft, I really should get back to my regiment of pure and simple abuse of the uninformed.
Unread 10 May 2010, 19:25   #105
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie2 View Post
With multitargetting you have a choice of which ship to build and which not. With singletargetting you need just about every ship there is. That leaves a lot less choice to determine your own strategy.
the last single targeting round proved that you don't NEED every ship there is. in theory it is true. however, in application..

if groups actually built decent sized attack fleets in different classes instead of building the 1 or 2 classes/ships their alliance tells them to, you would probably see a change in this. this also goes for multi-targeting rounds as well.

for example:
in r35 (single targeting) I had a mass amount of beetles with enough other ships to stop pod only attacks.
in r36 (multi targeting) I had mostly pegs (anti-co/fi) and dragon (anti-bs/cr).

yes, i know i didn't win the round, but in either environment nobody is forced to build every ship to cover anything. that is why your alliance/galaxy is allowed to defend you.

Last edited by Zaejii; 10 May 2010 at 19:34.
Zaejii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2010, 22:11   #106
x-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Takion Champion

Quote:
The reason Mz isn't willing to explain is because it is not upon him to teach you how to understand the question at hand, so that you can take part of the conversation. Instead, it is upon you to make sure you are well informed enough to understand the subject before entering into a discussion of it. Otherwise people get used to the idea that they can spout any old stupid sh*t they like, and they'll simply be corrected later on. This just piles up more work for him to explain why they are wrong, without him getting anything out of it in return.
Thanks for explaining Mz's thoughts! ))
Quote:
And everything is statistics
I disagree there.

Unread 10 May 2010, 22:49   #107
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-dANGEr View Post
I disagree there.
Just because you disagree doesn't mean you can't be wrong. Or, in fact, that you aren't wrong. Because you are.

Statistics is the use of data. Everything is data. Every time you interpret data, you employ means of statistical analysis. Some simply do so better than others.
Unread 11 May 2010, 08:26   #108
x-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Takion Champion

I'm actually quite sure that I'm right.

It is a flawed generalization to say "everything is statistics", which is why I disagree. On one hand, many theories are not based on statistical information. On the other hand, many are based on a small sample size the way you put it. Here, it is someone speaking their opinion: an assumption based on a two-round experience, and some logical build. Why not critique that build instead of dissing the opinion because of the small sample size? I'm not quite asking; I already know the answer. Just saying.

Unread 11 May 2010, 13:00   #109
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-dANGEr View Post

It is a flawed generalization to say "everything is statistics", which is why I disagree. On one hand, many theories are not based on statistical information. On the other hand, many are based on a small sample size the way you put it. Here, it is someone speaking their opinion: an assumption based on a two-round experience, and some logical build. Why not critique that build instead of dissing the opinion because of the small sample size? I'm not quite asking; I already know the answer. Just saying.
The problem, it seems to me, is that you don't understand what you're talking about. You simply don't know what statistics is, and as such you are making incorrect assumptions as to what falls within the field of statistics.

Simply put, you can't make any meaningful observations about the world without employing some tools of statistics. I started to write a justification, but it seemed meaningless and obvious, so I stopped.
Unread 11 May 2010, 21:13   #110
x-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Takion Champion

It is a flawed generalization to say "everything is statistics" ))

Simply put, I'm saying a no-brainer here. Why do you bother to justify something else I'm not quite sure why. On another note, though, this isn't funny anymore; it feels like I'm abusing your inability to just shut up and ignore something you don't find worthy of noting. Will stop here anyhow ))

Unread 11 May 2010, 22:04   #111
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

They're not statistics, they're mobile.
Unread 11 May 2010, 23:04   #112
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If all you both are going to do is "yes, it is" and "no, it isn't", you might as well not post at all.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2010, 23:33   #113
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

You've obviously never been to the pantomime.
Unread 11 May 2010, 23:39   #114
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
If all you both are going to do is "yes, it is" and "no, it isn't", you might as well not post at all.
Yeah, I kind of gave up already, I realized I'm dealing with a special kind of "speshul".
Unread 12 May 2010, 09:55   #115
sk8_bordin
is behind you! o.O

sk8_bordin is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, all analysis is statistics, not everything is statistics, I'm pretty sure my cat isn't statistics o.O
Unread 12 May 2010, 10:44   #116
Razock

Razock is an unknown quantity at this point

As some one who doesn't know what to say about the topic i decided to shut up and learn from people who know more then me, so can we please get ON topic again and i can read and learn. Thank you.
Unread 12 May 2010, 14:02   #117
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8_bordin View Post
Yes, all analysis is statistics, not everything is statistics, I'm pretty sure my cat isn't statistics o.O
No, your cat is data
Unread 12 May 2010, 23:43   #118
sk8_bordin
is behind you! o.O

sk8_bordin is an unknown quantity at this point

My cat is data yes Nice cuddly data! And no Razock! You will learn the ways of off-topic-threadness instead! :P
Unread 13 May 2010, 00:51   #119
Hude
self-entitledly superior

Hude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant future

Your mothers are (just) statistics.
Hude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2010, 01:17   #120
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razock View Post
As some one who doesn't know what to say about the topic i decided to shut up and learn from people who know more then me, so can we please get ON topic again and i can read and learn. Thank you.
well, its been "discussed" back and forth.

In the end its what you like, and how you want planetarion to be.
I dont want to be roided by nubs, the nubs want to be able to roid me. Thats about it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote