User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 6 Apr 2006, 18:27   #1
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society
Dell

How difficult is it to fit normal components into a dell, because i've heard that dell are particularly evil when it comes to components.
Unread 6 Apr 2006, 18:50   #2
Sheep
Seen my Flock?

Sheep is infamous around these partsSheep is infamous around these parts
Re: Dell

best thing to do would be find out the motherboard in the computer you wish to buy and do some research on it first, or ask someone who has a dell. When i was living at Uni my mate had one which i found was ok to upgrade but you have to be careful
Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2006, 10:13   #3
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

sale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of light

we have several dell pc here at the company, and the older ones are easy t o upgrade, you have to be carefull with ram etc. cause of the special timings etc. but if you follow the rules and look at the existing hardware. a certain level of upgrade should be no problem...
( we have tried add. ram, graphic, ethernet without problems )
sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2006, 10:19   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It very much depends on the model. Last night I was doing some work on a couple of Dell PC and they didn't have a spare PCI slot, or an AGP slot (at all). Broadly their ultra-cheap models seem to offer very little room for expansion whereas their slightly higher range models are a bit better.

Having said that, the cases of both machines were very easy to open, the main parts were easy to get at, there were no screws, etc. I did notice the other side of the case appeared to be bolted on (as were a couple of other bits) so I imagine replacing something like the PSU could be a bit nightmarish.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2006, 12:02   #5
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

The experience with Dell PCs I've had so far was one machine that required a special screwdriver to open (A electrical drill, a little force and a little dexterity did the trick as well, but it wasn't designed to open that way obviously). Once opened, that machine was fairly easy to upgrade.

In the other PC, it was easy to open, impossible to upgrade...

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Apr 2006, 03:51   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The new ones, especially the cheaper new ones, are useless.
The things they can't possibly lock off because it would cause them too much hassle (like pci/agp/pci-e, sata, pata and memory) are left open, but many other things are tied down.

For example, the processor heatsink mounting is proprietary, as is the duct above it and (last time it was a problem for me anyway) the fan mounted inside that. If any part of that assembly goes, you're buggered. Similarly, if you want to transfer the motherboard to a new case/different machine, you can't as you can't mount a heatsink other than the dell one, and the dell one is designed to work with thier duct system.
They also have used non-standard ATX connectors in the past, and for all I know they still do - so when your cheap crap dell PSU blows up, expect to pay the kind of money that would get you a decent Antec or Seasonic unit, just to be shipped out another crap dell one.

In short, if it's something in a predefined slot which it would be expensive for Dell to mess with (ram, the processor itself, graphics etc), it won't be messed with. If it's something that can easily be messed with (heatsink mount, connector plugs) it probably will be.
Unread 28 May 2006, 19:34   #7
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

I'll never buy a computer from Dell out of choice. Last time I had to change a hard disc in one at work, admittedly 'a cheaper new one,' I had to take pliers to the case. What's really great is that they seem to put great thought into giving you new obstacles to upgrades with each new machine.

Ironically, most other manufacturers consider accessibility etc to parts as a dimension of quality not a means by which to inconvenience me and make more money out of idiots.