User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 9 Sep 2007, 23:52   #1
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of
Fake Nicks and What They Really Mean

1) I'm a nice guy, but need a mask to hide behind to be a douche bag!
2) I'm a horrible player, but want to pretend like i'm a good one!
3) I'm a retard gathering intel on everyone else, unaware that people can get intel on me without knowing my real nick!
Unread 9 Sep 2007, 23:56   #2
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Fake Nicks and What They Really Mean

PA is too full of stupidity these days.
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2007, 23:57   #3
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

4) Epic fail: People think your real nick is a fake nick.

POTM btw.
Unread 9 Sep 2007, 23:59   #4
Elevator
Crackhead

Elevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the rough

5) Fake nick is for gay people
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 02:02   #5
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

6) I'm a sheep and my idiot HC thinks my real nickname will give away intel faster than a newsie would.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 02:17   #6
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

7) Im infamous and dont want people pestering me just yet
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 05:19   #7
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

8) Fakenick!?!?!?!?!?!
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 07:21   #8
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

if a nick is a fake name, what is a fake nick ?
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 20:04   #9
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

9) I'm absurdly self important, keen to sow mistrust and wasting everyone's time while I persist.
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 20:46   #10
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Its easy to throw insults at people who fake nick but most of you who insult these people are the very reason they feel they have to fake nick.

There was once a time in this game where the majority of players respected the galaxy system and worked as a team, but over the rounds people have decided to make galaxies into an alliance plaything. Players will sell their galaxy out at the drop of a hat so distrust has grown.

Now yes your galaxy will almost certainly still sell you out even if you fake nick and the intel to uncover you can still be worked out by a competent alliance but it doesnt just hand your intel over to other alliances without them putting some work in. It alos may see the members of an alliance uncovered but makes singling out specific people alot harder (Certain people will get trageted after all for who they are, I have been targeted for example simply because of who i am in the past)
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 21:09   #11
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
(Certain people will get trageted after all for who they are, I have been targeted for example simply because of who i am in the past)
JUSTICE!

For all the long posts you have produced here on this forum and the many pages you fill with your blah!

And on topic:
Fakenicks are really really useless and annoying: be a man, be yourself!
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 21:59   #12
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Its easy to throw insults at people who fake nick but most of you who insult these people are the very reason they feel they have to fake nick.

There was once a time in this game where the majority of players respected the galaxy system and worked as a team, but over the rounds people have decided to make galaxies into an alliance plaything. Players will sell their galaxy out at the drop of a hat so distrust has grown.

Now yes your galaxy will almost certainly still sell you out even if you fake nick and the intel to uncover you can still be worked out by a competent alliance but it doesnt just hand your intel over to other alliances without them putting some work in. It alos may see the members of an alliance uncovered but makes singling out specific people alot harder (Certain people will get trageted after all for who they are, I have been targeted for example simply because of who i am in the past)
Actually this isn't true of my track record at all. The last time I played and involved myself in cluster politics (round 21), I was in cluster 2. While I didn't run it, I put a large amount of effort in setting it up. It was a very peaceful cluster, and it worked on the basis that everyone realnicked, simply because it was easier for everyone to cooperate. We were by far the most successful cluster alliance as a result, simply because everyone knew where they were and that the holding of our nap was key to all of our success. Cluster 2 finished as top cluster, comfortably because people knew who to speak to to get things done, how people behaved and ultimately, while things weren't sweetness and light the whole time, there was a good level of understanding because we all knew who each other were.

Quite honestly, all fake nicks mean is that I go out of my way to find out who they are within a short space of time instead of instantly, and they just breed mistrust in the long term. Ultimately, fakenicking has more negative impacts than the small positive that it might gain you. Really, it isn't worth the effort. It's time wasted when you could either get stuff done or even better, sleep and save up energy for when you really are going to need it.

As for people targeting people for who they are. I don't know about you, but I see it as a bit of a compliment when I get lots of incoming.
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 23:48   #13
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

JBG fakenicked this round :crymeariver:
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 06:05   #14
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaejii
1) I'm a nice guy, but need a mask to hide behind to be a douche bag!
2) I'm a horrible player, but want to pretend like i'm a good one!
3) I'm a retard gathering intel on everyone else, unaware that people can get intel on me without knowing my real nick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaejii's signature
R23 [xx] x:x:x
What do you think about people masking their alliance belonging on the planetarion forums then?
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 08:52   #15
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
7) Im infamous and dont want people pestering me just yet

OK i wouldnt say all were infamous - but for some going incognito into a new galaxy is a good thing, galaxy buddies will be giving all intel to their alliances, and if you are famous in some way this may affect your galaxy's round.

This is after all a game that tends to create grudges !

lets pick someone really famous like Sid, if he ended up in a galaxy, was found there would be several players out there who would just want to take him down for the kudos, its doubtfull that it would be a single planet raid, the whole galaxy would be getting it in the neck !

they sure as hell would not want him in the open!

I'm not saying all fakes are for this reason, but they do sometimes have their uses.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 09:21   #16
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
What do you think about people masking their alliance belonging on the planetarion forums then?
The subtle difference between lying about your identity and shouting it off the roofs.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 09:23   #17
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
JBG fakenicked this round :crymeariver:
:O
I'm totally undercover also!

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 10:04   #18
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
, and they just breed mistrust in the long term.
And what do you think the idiots who go out of their way to screw over their galaxies do. Everyone is so quick to jump on fakenickers as being evil and killing the game but we never get a single complaint about the actions of these people.

Trust is a two way thing and if round after round we are going to have this campaign against fakenickers then we also need to demonise those who cause people to fakenick at the same time.

Until r13 I didnt fake nick, since then i normally have except for 2 rounds where the galaxy decided to be honest about everything. However in both these cases at least 1 person has instantly ran to their alliance and given the info out. One round I was in a galaxy with a load of 1up plus a few others, one of who was h3ll from ND. Within a few hours of us all revealing our info ND had all our galaxies info because h3ll ran straight to his alliance and handed it over. He was also reporting all our incoming and outcoming defence

You wouldnt hand over your alliance info to your galaxy so why is it deemed acceptable for it to happen the other way round. And if your one of these people moaning about fake nicks yet are one of those who hand the info over then you should just stfu until you stop being part of the group who pushes people to fakenick
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 10:25   #19
Ceadrath

Ceadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
Actually this isn't true of my track record at all. The last time I played and involved myself in cluster politics (round 21), I was in cluster 2. While I didn't run it, I put a large amount of effort in setting it up. It was a very peaceful cluster, and it worked on the basis that everyone realnicked, simply because it was easier for everyone to cooperate. We were by far the most successful cluster alliance as a result, simply because everyone knew where they were and that the holding of our nap was key to all of our success. Cluster 2 finished as top cluster, comfortably because people knew who to speak to to get things done, how people behaved and ultimately, while things weren't sweetness and light the whole time, there was a good level of understanding because we all knew who each other were.
Rinoa

i don't see a problem with fakenicking, theirs no reason why you can't work with a nick you don't recognise, except some people are so stuck up their own arses that they decide to force their own views (fakenicking is teh evil yo) on others.

-Cead

Last edited by Ceadrath; 11 Sep 2007 at 10:40.
Ceadrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 11:43   #20
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceadrath
i don't see a problem with fakenicking, theirs no reason why you can't work with a nick you don't recognise, except some people are so stuck up their own arses that they decide to force their own views (fakenicking is teh evil yo) on others.
We're not saying it's evil, we're saying it's stupid.
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 13:02   #21
Bowlsey
Lover of Cheesecake

Bowlsey is on a distinguished road

I don't see why so many people are complaining!? If i was in my gal chan under the nick of 'Batman' but I was active in the chan, defending my gal mates that it would make me less of a man than if i was using my real nick? Or does a person who uses his real nick but doesn't ever defend in gal a better player for their gal?
=Break=
rd41-44 TGV, rd45-46 FAnG, rd47 HaVeN rd48-49 FAnG
=Break=
Rd55+ Ultores
Bowlsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 13:16   #22
Ceadrath

Ceadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
We're not saying it's evil, we're saying it's stupid.

Why is it?

because they don't want their alliance and nick added to enemy intel at tick 36?

because they don't want incoming from tick 72?

because they don't want incs from retarded people who attack them over arguements from x amount of rounds ago?

god forbid that you should have to put some effort in to gain your intel.

if your incapable of cooperating with someone who's nick you don't recognise then you have no hope of playing in a gal as it is, whether it's a fake nick or not is irrelevant.

-Cead
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 14:29   #23
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
A very interesting twist.

Please enlighten us, Zaejii. Why do you feel the need to hide your coordinates on the forums if you so much advocate not disguising your whereabouts and coordinates.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 14:29   #24
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Why is it?

because they don't want their alliance and nick added to enemy intel at tick 36?

because they don't want incoming from tick 72?

because they don't want incs from retarded people who attack them over arguements from x amount of rounds ago?

god forbid that you should have to put some effort in to gain your intel.

if your incapable of cooperating with someone who's nick you don't recognise then you have no hope of playing in a gal as it is, whether it's a fake nick or not is irrelevant.
Alliance will be connected to your planet no matter what nick you use (unless people are totally retarded at collecting intel), nick is of course harder.

Ok, so they won't get incoming from tick 72, but after one day of attacking/defending, your planet will connected to your alliance. So that's one day in the "clear"

Most people don't have "enemies" who will attack them as soon as they know their nicks (which tbh is the only reason to hide your nick), and most alliance HC/BC's knows better than to target someone just because of who they are unless it provides a strategical advantage of doing so.

The universe is so small that hiding has become utterly pointless as someone will find out who you are and what alliance you are in pretty soon.
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 14:34   #25
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
Most people don't have "enemies" who will attack them as soon as they know their nicks (which tbh is the only reason to hide your nick)
Funny enough, I think I'm one of the few people for attacking whom an amount of "real life" money has been offered for.
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 14:54   #26
Nadar
I see you!

That's just sad.
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 14:57   #27
Tietäjä
Good Son

Mek is.
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 15:10   #28
Nadar
I see you!

Mek is an emo.
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 15:32   #29
Ceadrath

Quote:
Alliance will be connected to your planet no matter what nick you use (unless people are totally retarded at collecting intel), nick is of course harder.
not necessarily, they may have grouped a set of planets together but sticking an alliance to them requires someone to know what alliance at least one of them belongs to, you can reduce this by using a fakenick.

Quote:
Ok, so they won't get incoming from tick 72, but after one day of attacking/defending, your planet will connected to your alliance. So that's one day in the "clear"
thats the whole point of using a fake nick. So that it takes longer for their coordlist to be available. The later the alliance tags up then the longer this can go on for. Generally speaking this is why people drop them after a while as well.

Quote:
Most people don't have "enemies" who will attack them as soon as they know their nicks (which tbh is the only reason to hide your nick), and most alliance HC/BC's knows better than to target someone just because of who they are unless it provides a strategical advantage of doing so.
using a fakenick because you think you'll be specifically targetted is really the least usual reason for fake nicking. and it does happern apparently.

Quote:
The universe is so small that hiding has become utterly pointless as someone will find out who you are and what alliance you are in pretty soon.
Agreed. but the idea in the most part isn't to stay hidden all round, but to delay the point at which all your coords become public.

-Cead
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 16:10   #30
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
not necessarily, they may have grouped a set of planets together but sticking an alliance to them requires someone to know what alliance at least one of them belongs to, you can reduce this by using a fakenick.
That would be true only if an alliance manages not to reveal any of their planets. Once you know one co-ord of an alliance, you can just start news-scanning and collect all the co-ords you want.

Quote:
thats the whole point of using a fake nick. So that it takes longer for their coordlist to be available. The later the alliance tags up then the longer this can go on for. Generally speaking this is why people drop them after a while as well.
"Takes longer"? Yes, I'm sure 24 hours matters much in an eight week long round. As for those alliances who doesn't tag up; they're of course harder to gather intel on (as you can't news scan for defense), but it's doable once you know one co-ord and have a few attacks to compare co-ords with.

Quote:
using a fakenick because you think you'll be specifically targetted is really the least usual reason for fake nicking. and it does happern apparently.
What other reason is there to fakenick except for when you think you'll be specifically targeted?

Quote:
Agreed. but the idea in the most part isn't to stay hidden all round, but to delay the point at which all your coords become public.
Like I said; it's not worth it when you can (in most cases) only delay it by 24 hours (or longer if you don't attack or defend with your alliance).
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 17:22   #31
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

Nadar, round after round shows people fake nicking and staying hidden for much longer than 24 hours. Perhaps most people do not, though I doubt you actually know the statistics, but even so the people who are able to successfully hide can gain an advantage which is well worth the inconvenience of setting up a second irc persona.

I have certainly seen people fake nicking for no reason, either because their ally was easily mappable or because nobody was going to target them because of their ally. This is stupid, but for people who are in alliances with enemies or who have personal enemies effectively fake nicking provides a tangible advantage, especially when there are cov-oppers around.

Meanwhile as 'easy' as it is to map an alliance, it takes work, and the more information you provide an enemy the less work it takes and the less likely they are to make errors. Every little bit counts in this game.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 17:27   #32
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Quote:

please price a sense of humour and details of how i can donate , if you dont know why thats included in our recruitment thread i suggest you STFU

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 18:02   #33
Ceadrath

Quote:
That would be true only if an alliance manages not to reveal any of their planets. Once you know one co-ord of an alliance, you can just start news-scanning and collect all the co-ords you want.

"Takes longer"? Yes, I'm sure 24 hours matters much in an eight week long round. As for those alliances who doesn't tag up; they're of course harder to gather intel on (as you can't news scan for defense), but it's doable once you know one co-ord and have a few attacks to compare co-ords with.

Like I said; it's not worth it when you can (in most cases) only delay it by 24 hours (or longer if you don't attack or defend with your alliance).
Your being incredible naive to think that fake nicks only work for 24 hours. We're now at tick 240 or so and eXi have yet to tag up, do you think anyone has a list of 70 of their coords?

Quote:
What other reason is there to fakenick except for when you think you'll be specifically targeted?
I was referring to being targeted as result of who you are rather than your alliance.

-Cead
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 18:06   #34
Ceadrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo
please price a sense of humour and details of how i can donate , if you dont know why thats included in our recruitment thread i suggest you STFU
deep breaths.

i know exactly why you have it in their, and it exactly supports the point on how people hold grudges for the last however many rounds, tho it could have been meant entirely jokingly.

-Cead
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 18:45   #35
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Quote:
deep breaths.

i know exactly why you have it in their, and it exactly supports the point on how people hold grudges for the last however many rounds, tho it could have been meant entirely jokingly.
well i do know why its in there and sorry to burst your bubble but its got nothing to do with wakey's insistance that rock hacked f-crew's tools a few rd's back but hey feel free to keep guessing .

PS ill buy 10 credits for f-crew members if you actually get it right

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 18:51   #36
Ceadrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo
well i do know why its in there and sorry to burst your bubble but its got nothing to do with wakey's insistance that rock hacked f-crew's tools a few rd's back but hey feel free to keep guessing .

PS ill buy 10 credits for f-crew members if you actually get it right
how will i sleep tonight thinking about it

-Cead
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 19:15   #37
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Your being incredible naive to think that fake nicks only work for 24 hours. We're now at tick 240 or so and eXi have yet to tag up, do you think anyone has a list of 70 of their coords?
What? Iirc, what I wrote was that co-ords are connected to an alliance after 24 hours of attacking/defending (of course it takes a lot of work). That's not naive. You're naive who actually believe fakenicks will do you very good unless you have a special someone looking for you.

P.S. "You're".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caedrath
I was referring to being targeted as result of who you are rather than your alliance.
But that's the only reason to fakenick (except for your own amusement too I guess).
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 19:23   #38
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

So you honestly think that eXi's coords are all mapped now since it has been well over 24 hours since they began attacking?
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 20:05   #39
Mzyxptlk
mz.

I bet.
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 21:21   #40
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Of course not.

I'm with Germania here - fakenicking serves its purpose as it makes it harder for people to trace your alliance and create a complete member list of it. Where it's going to benefit your alliance to hide itself, then fakenicking and getting all of your members to create their own relay channels will be good steps to take in the intel battle.

Anyone who truly believes that an alliance's co-ords can all be mapped within 24 hours of exiting protection is an idiot, plain and simple. Sure, you can get some, but you're never going to get a complete picture until at least tick 150/200ish.
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 22:02   #41
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Anyone who truly believes that an alliance's co-ords can all be mapped within 24 hours of exiting protection is an idiot, plain and simple. Sure, you can get some, but you're never going to get a complete picture until at least tick 150/200ish.
Assuming that most planets are active, you still think it's hard? A (news)scanner with a lot of resources is all you need. Sure it will need a lot of patience, but it's effective. Any idiot and half-brain, even you, should understand that simple fact.

Germ: eXi is currently not tagged up and I assume they're not defending? Gathering co-ords from attacks they make is much harder as you have to consider the possibility of other alliances attacking with them.
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 22:27   #42
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Assuming that most planets are active, you still think it's hard? A (news)scanner with a lot of resources is all you need. Sure it will need a lot of patience, but it's effective. Any idiot and half-brain, even you, should understand that simple fact.
You just can't get a complete picture of a standard 60 member alliance within 24 hours of exiting protection. Planets may be active but they certainly won't have all defended each other - many of them won't have even received incoming yet. Out of those that have received incoming, much of it can be covered by galmates - who are comparatively useless for intel early on until strong relationships can be built up.

You said yourself that working out co-ords from alliance attacks is harder because of the chance that galaxies are double-booked. I'd add to that the fact that alliances don't always run full-scale galraids straight out of protection, and that some alliances instead tell their members to find their own targets (e.g. in-cluster). Alternatively, alliances may attack through multiple AGs, meaning that you can only work out a portion of their co-ords.

As I said, you can get a complete picture within 72 ticks - but unless you bped a lot with an alliance, or got your hands on a co-ord leak, you're not going to have a complete picture within 24 ticks.
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 23:10   #43
Nadar
I see you!

I do hope you and everyone realized that I don't mean a 100% correct coord-list when speak of "easily obtaining an alliance's coords". 100% accurate lists are never obtainable unless you got direct access to their arbiters.

I will agree with you, furball, that 72 ticks is probably more realistic than 24 ticks.
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 23:28   #44
furball

Quote:
I do hope you and everyone realized that I don't mean a 100% correct coord-list when speak of "easily obtaining an alliance's coords". 100% accurate lists are never obtainable unless you got direct access to their arbiters.

I will agree with you, furball, that 72 ticks is probably more realistic than 24 ticks.
Certainly I got the wrong impression. Probably the most you can ever hope to get is 95% accurate co-ord lists, given that people will leave and join alliances with some regularity.

If your alliance is in a war with another alliance from the word go (e.g. 1up v eXilition) then you can get an almost complete map of their (active) co-ords within a few nights, since you should be forcing every one of their planets to send some kind of defence. Takes a lot of work though, although that may go without saying.
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 23:29   #45
Nadar
I see you!

Yeah. You get my point now? Hiding is seldom possible unless you're inactive
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 23:34   #46
furball

hugs!
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 23:34   #47
Nadar
I see you!

This is getting emo. Call for Mek!
Unread 12 Sep 2007, 16:40   #48
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

One other advantage of fake nicking that no one has mentioned (at least not directly) is that even if you know all of an allies coords, you don't necessarily know which members are where? Why is this important? Because even in a top ally there can be a wide range of competency at playing the game. So knowing which players are in which galaxies can in fact make a difference in an allies ability to hit a particular galaxy. For example a galaxy that contains Keizari or JBG, both very good players, is probably going to be a lot harder to hit then a galaxy containing relative nobody's, even if both galaxies contain the same relative alliances in them. The point being if JBG's coords were known he would tend to get more incomming then someone of less repute with the same race/score/roids. It is therefore to the advantage of a well known player to remain anonymous as long as possible, even if his ally is known. So I am 100% in agreement with Germania that fake nicking can be a very valuable thing, even for only part of the round. Personally I hate to fake nick, but then again I don't have the notoriety or infamy of some the other players of this game.

To make a long story short, whether people like it or not fakenicking has and will always have a useful place in PA. While I agree that for a lot of people it's probably pointless in the long run, in some cases it totally makes sense.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2007, 19:20   #49
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Fakenicking doesn't exactly help the community. Right now, if someone comes online who I played with in rounds 7, 8 or 9 (for example) I'd recognise their name as I'd remember sharing a channel with them for 2-3 months and working with them on PA. If people fakenick for half the round, I remember them as "Stupid Fakenick" and then will probably forget them if they contact me again, even if they changed to their real nickname at some point.

It doesn't make contacts easier or remembering who is who. Zaejii has it better his way round; showing people his nick but hiding his alliance. Obviously that isn't possible for everyone though.
Unread 12 Sep 2007, 19:21   #50
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe
The point being if JBG's coords were known he would tend to get more incomming then someone of less repute with the same race/score/roids.
I don't think this is true at all. If anything, I'd be less inclined to hit JBG/elviz/Keizari/FeniX/etc as I know that they can handle in-gal defences pretty well, and so I probably won't get through.