User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 9 Nov 2007, 08:50   #1
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point
game down - why?

The game will be closed from 7.00 GMT Friday until 6.00 GMT Saturday. A roll back to tick 145 @ 6.30 GMT has occured. Sorry for all problems caused.
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2007, 09:02   #2
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: game down - why?

idd... an anouncement of some kind would have been nice.

I saw all attackfleets were recalled.. I stressed badly cause I was certain I launhced before I went to bed, but when I got on they were in base

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2007, 09:05   #3
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

the fleets being recalled was the bug not the action taken afaik

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2007, 09:09   #4
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

ay, think so also..cause def fleets were flying

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2007, 10:17   #5
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

If they ruin my attack (or my incomming if i have any), im gonna bend appocco over a table!

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2007, 10:28   #6
-=10us=-

-=10us=- is on a distinguished road

i my news i saw my attack fleet launched and never recalled, but all attack fleets were at home?!
Unread 9 Nov 2007, 11:40   #7
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=195692
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2007, 12:08   #8
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point

so are all fleets gonna be recalled?
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2007, 12:19   #9
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://game.planetarion.com/closed.pl
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 9 Nov 2007, 21:28   #10
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see PA team throwing their official downtime procedure out the window.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2007, 21:36   #11
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

I doubt this error was ever expected to happen, and isnt covered by their guidelines, all attack fleets back at base but all def fleets still flying is actually a 1st in all my years, and i've seen some really great errors
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2007, 21:41   #12
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is covered by their guidelines and whether this particular error was foreseen is immaterial. The point of the downtime procedure is that it covers any error regardless of its predictability.

There are 2 contingencies in the downtime procedure:

1. A problem that causes less than a tick of downtime. No Rollback, No Recalls

2 A problem that causes more than a tick of downtime. 24 hour downtime with rollback and fleet recalls.

This is rather obviously the second contingency, yet no fleet recall. How many times has PA team done the 24 hour recall with fleet recalls even though it seemed excessive just because it was procedure?

WTF changed now?

And yes, I would benefit from a fleet recall, but hey, ive been roided before and I will be roided again. All I ask is that If PA team change the downtime procedure they announce it instead of arbitrarily changing it during a downtime. The whole point of having the procedure was so we would all know what to expect. That is completely out the window now.
Unread 9 Nov 2007, 21:47   #13
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

it was an error that would posssibly have caused 1 tick of downtime ... while the error was fixed

so by that rule it should have been contigency 1 that would have been put in place, but that would mean continuing onwards with no attacks out and defences running !

at which point i think the universe would have rioted, alliances would be up in arms and for the 1st time in a long while everyone would have been unhappy with the outcome.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
Unread 9 Nov 2007, 21:50   #14
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

1 - game rollback - check
2 - no portal - check
3 - sod all accounts - check
4 - no activity on a PD thread about the game going down from pa team - check

we're all covered peeps!
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2007, 21:53   #15
K-W
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith
it was an error that would posssibly have caused 1 tick of downtime ... while the error was fixed
But it didn't cause less than one tick of downtime did it?

Quote:
so by that rule it should have been contigency 1 that would have been put in place, but that would mean continuing onwards with no attacks out and defences running !

at which point i think the universe would have rioted, alliances would be up in arms and for the 1st time in a long while everyone would have been unhappy with the outcome.
Appacco could have chosen contingency 1, but he didn't.

He chose contingency 2. And once he chose to bring the game down for more than one tick, he committed himself to a recall according to the downtime policy.

He chose to ignore that policy instead.

I am not saying the downtime policy is a good policy. Or that from a game perspective Appacco made the wrong decision. That is very debateable.

But how can you deny that they are violating policy? They initiated the rollback procedure and ignored the mandatory recall.
Unread 9 Nov 2007, 23:27   #16
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Quote:
But how can you deny that they are violating policy? They initiated the rollback procedure and ignored the mandatory recall.
no what i'm saying is if they had followed policy everyone would be *beeped* off
R11 -> NOW HR HC
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 00:00   #17
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-W
But it didn't cause less than one tick of downtime did it?

Appacco could have chosen contingency 1, but he didn't.
No no, it is important to be entirely correct, Appoco, instead of using the downtime procedure, did in an attempt to make himself more popular (how is that possible) let a handfull of players in #alliances and #planetarion make the decision for him, who cares about routines in a matter like this!

It's not like you should expect the game to follow its own procedures when dealing with errors in the game that have been caused by shoddy coding.
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 00:55   #18
K-W
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith
no what I'm saying is if they had followed policy everyone would be *beeped* off
I can see that perspective. The way I saw it, if the results of letting the game run were unacceptable, he had the option of bringing the game down for 24 hours with a rollback and recall. I think that would still have satisfied the policy, but doing a rollback without a recall appears no where.

Maybe the policy just isn't adequate, but I seem to remember other downtimes, where a rollback was needed and a recall was done, even though a recall didnt seem necessary based on the specifics of the case but it was the procedure so it was done. I'm just curious what the reason is things changed this time. Is the rollback procedure kaput? What should we expect in the future?
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 01:10   #19
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Now we will have 2 kind of attackers:
- the happy ones, eta4 at restart
- the anxious (if not unhappy) ones with eta5 or higher, thinking their targets have an extra 24 hours to sort out a def with gal mates or ally (depending on eta)
A fleet recall should have been ordered to prevent it (in addition to the already mentionned fact that it is the procedure).
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 01:15   #20
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Yeah, that is what really gets me, instead of being persistant and sticking to the downtime procedure, they just decided to screw it and go with another approach. These random acts is not the way to build a good game, and an understanding for their handling.
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 01:19   #21
Mzyxptlk
mz.

If the policy is flawed, change it, don't just ignore it.
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 01:22   #22
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil
- the anxious (if not unhappy) ones with eta5 or higher, thinking their targets have an extra 24 hours to sort out a def with gal mates or ally (depending on eta)
On the other hand, the game has been closed for the last 24 hours so it's not incredibly easy for people to organise defence unless the incoming has already been noticed and logged.
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 06:25   #23
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

True, but I'm thinking more people will make the effort to login at restart, just to check their planet, fleets, res and cons... I'm guessing people on their IRC Gal Chans will have asked everybody to login too.
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 14:22   #24
Mzyxptlk
mz.

That's irrelevant though. They would/could do that if the 24 hour downtime hadn't happened as well. The main point is that up-to-date information is not available. Thus scans, fleets, missions, incomings, these should all be unaccessible during the downtime. Which they are. The only thing people can do (and this is unsolvable, insofar as it's a problem at all, which I'm not yet convinced of) is use already open pages.

Fact is, downtime will always be good for some and bad for others. One day it's bad for me, one day it's good for me. However, I've never felt that downtime has seriously influenced my luck. Maybe because it really hasn't, maybe because I don't feel the need to point the finger to some external cause and say "see, that's why x went wrong, it's not my fault at all".

That said, adherance to existing policy (and change thereof, if needed) would go a long way toward minimizing fingerpointing.
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 14:41   #25
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
That said, adherance to existing policy (and change thereof, if needed) would go a long way toward minimizing fingerpointing.
Now there we can agree.
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 18:25   #26
Phil M

Phil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the rough

I'm disappointed that this is now the second ****up with the game so far this round and it hasn't even been a week. First the combat engine problems, now this.

Why are these problems occuring on such a regular basis?
Phil M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 20:41   #27
Mzyxptlk
mz.

I wouldn't exactly call it a ****up, to be quite honest. Sure, they could probably have handled it a little better, but overall, no one was really hurt.