User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 30 Jul 2010, 13:03   #51
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Hi from a Jagex fansite

On a sidenote, that announcement, though good in other ways, contained a classic mistake: by so prominently talking about credits and giving people such an easily copy/pasteable announcement, you reinforce the belief that PA costs money to play--nowhere in the announcement does it say that PA is in fact free.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2010, 13:37   #52
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
On a sidenote, that announcement, though good in other ways, contained a classic mistake: by so prominently talking about credits and giving people such an easily copy/pasteable announcement, you reinforce the belief that PA costs money to play--nowhere in the announcement does it say that PA is in fact free.
It really is criminal how this fact is virtually hidden away these days.
Unread 30 Jul 2010, 14:09   #53
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Altered post on portal + tweeted to all 20 odd followers of this fact!
Unread 30 Jul 2010, 14:21   #54
Siganiv
Stick Avalanche Champion

Siganiv is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm wondering if Jagex already started working on Galaxytarion...
Siganiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2010, 14:30   #55
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siganiv View Post
I'm wondering if Jagex already started working on Galaxytarion...
Its one thing i dont really understand, why would they buy PA just to make a new game? Theres no gaurentee that the PA community will switch over to galaxytarion when they release it.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2010, 14:32   #56
Siganiv
Stick Avalanche Champion

Siganiv is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
Its one thing i dont really understand, why would they buy PA just to make a new game? Theres no gaurentee that the PA community will switch over to galaxytarion when they release it.
They said that they will continue updating Planetarion, AS WELL AS make a sequel.
Siganiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2010, 16:33   #57
Cowch
Moo

Cowch is on a distinguished road

Why make a sequel when they can just make Planetarion better? This game has name recognition and a loyal following that is willing to accept change. In fact, we crave change.
Cowch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2010, 16:46   #58
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

Hehe indeed, always the optimist eh Light?
Unread 30 Jul 2010, 16:57   #59
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

http://services.funorb.com/m=forum_f...?7,8,995,74379

"Reading the description, the game seems a little like a more in-depth Shattered Plans. I may give it a go.

~ Silly ~"

We got more advertisement jsut by them buying us than we had since... ehm.. forver?

Lets hope alot of people try Planetarion this round, and that we actually try to welcome them and teach em the game.

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2010, 17:57   #60
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowch View Post
a loyal following that is willing to accept the changes they want.
Fixed that for you.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 30 Jul 2010 at 18:24. Reason: markup fix
Unread 30 Jul 2010, 17:59   #61
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

There was a bit of confusion over the wikipedia article; I think they were trying to show support for "our plans for a sequel" as mentioned there. This is discussed elsewhere.
Unread 30 Jul 2010, 18:20   #62
Cowch
Moo

Quote:
Fixed that for you.
True. But I guess I'm willing to accept any change as long as it doesn't change the core of what planetarion is to me: A team based game that takes discipline, coordination and patience. The fun part of playing is being in an alliance and getting everyone to work together. So while they're making a sequel, or making PA more noob friendly or whatever, don't lose the fun part. Otherwise, just about any change would be interesting.
Unread 30 Jul 2010, 18:24   #63
Xyphistor
Railway Line Champion, Word Up Champion

Xyphistor is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siganiv View Post
We're waiting for it since 2007.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä View Post
See now son there's a common factor for us both then. The local population here has been waiting for something for quite a while too. Wait, fcuk me, that's three years and you're still keeping the spirits up?
I've been waiting for Empire Quest (to come back) since 2002...
8pm December 20th, 2002 to be exact

Still, Jagex does seem like it's already having a positive impact on Planetarion, so hopefully we'll see some good things coming soon!

(Wow, EQ's full name without the space is auto-censored to lots of stars - please don't mod this, it aint exactly advertising!)
Xyphistor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2010, 14:09   #64
ck10n3
NoS Spammer Extraordinare

ck10n3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReligFree View Post
Is it just me or is it a little pathetic not allowing people to even say the names of other games? If PA is that good then we'll keep playing it despite the names of these other games, I know I have through playing loads of MMO's etc, the only thing I still play is this.

Nice to hear from you Alex, welcome to the forums, and yeah as DragonKing said; signup and have a crack at the game, in theory they should be helping out with some of the newer player instructions, and failing that if you get stuck hop on mIRC and pm someone in #support or me in PM.

As for this Jagex, they sound good, I for one am willing to give them a chance, at least they've lowered the credit prices
Agreed agreed agreed.

The name Galaxytarion is just so horrible...
Unread 31 Jul 2010, 22:07   #65
Alex

Alex has a spectacular aura aboutAlex has a spectacular aura aboutAlex has a spectacular aura about

I didn't realise it was such a touchy subject to mention another game... I mean, it's all very relevant to the discussion at hand isn't it. A bit of background on your new owners is useful, no?

Until recently, Jagex were a one trick pony. You guys are part of their recent expansion into other games, but as this is a first for them, don't expect the world. Their hearts are in the right place, I think, but remember that this is their first time having an involvement with a game they aren't administering in house, and they might not have the balance between hands on and hands off right.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2010, 23:16   #66
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I didn't realise it was such a touchy subject to mention another game... I mean, it's all very relevant to the discussion at hand isn't it. A bit of background on your new owners is useful, no?
Completely agreed - not only due to relevance but that the whole policy has lived it's day since the soviet union collapsed. Hopefully, this part of Jagex will bring enough life here to push an effort to look to turn the community more outwards and open and less inwards and despotic. It's been a tradition here for certain factions to simply enjoy over-moderating things (not just forums, but also in game).

Quote:
Until recently, Jagex were a one trick pony. You guys are part of their recent expansion into other games, but as this is a first for them, don't expect the world. Their hearts are in the right place, I think, but remember that this is their first time having an involvement with a game they aren't administering in house, and they might not have the balance between hands on and hands off right.
A heart in the right place is great enough a start in comparison to the previous leeches. Hopefully, with a bit of resources in recoding and uplifting the game, and a bit more in advertising, and a push from the existing effort (appocomaster and so forth) will be enough to put the cart running upwards again.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2010, 00:08   #67
Cowch
Moo

My most sincere hope for Jagex and for our community is that Jagex makes the interface more user friendly, inducing 5k people play the game regularly, making Jagex tons of money. Just don't jack up the meta-game while attracting more players and life will be good.
Unread 1 Aug 2010, 03:57   #68
berten
respect, unity, order

berten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the rough

(note: i've read some posts in this thread, but it's 4.35 and i'm drunk, i cldn't be bothered with reading everything)

To the Jagex guys: Planetarion is a small game. we have around 1k players the last rounds (atm it's summer, it'll be less now). A very big portion of these 1000 players have played this game for 10 years now (I personally started in r3, we're at R38 now and rounds used to last a lot longer then now. hell i seem to remember times when a tick lasted longer then current rounds).

We've come to know eachoter on a pretty personal level. I've met some players personally (from all over europe), I organised some meetings at my place and went to some meetings all over Europe (finland, england, ...)

Long story short, altough we're small, we're a pretty tight group of players, and yes, we play this game in different alliances but i'm pretty sure there's connections everywhere and basicly everybody knows eachother.

The above is basicly the only reason we still have the amazing number of 1000 people playing this game. We care shit about the 'game as it is', but we like playing it because of what is often referred to as 'the meta game'.

About our look at the new owners and our indifference about it: read above.

Regarding the stream of new players that might look at planetarion because of the attention on the jagex forums: Let's not be ignorant about this: We've all played this game for ages and know what it takes. We'll always welcome new people but do expect the same level of commitment we give ourselves. And honestly, that level is pretty high and not alot of new players can live up to it.

I've seen blizzard being mentioned here and I've got some WOW players to try planetarion myself, (this are some m8s that play WOW on a pretty decent level in some high end guilds) but they couldn't handle the activity that is required to play this game. We don't expect anyone to be online 24/7, but we do expect any player that commits to this game and that wants his 'team' to do the same to be here when he's needed. This means calls/sms' will be sent out when you are needed.

This is one of the main reasons new players often won't be able to live up to the expections we have.

Just my 2 cents about current planetarion.

I love yo all btw

EDIT: a note to jagex: Please do pay attention to the community, just never (and i do mean never) take the conversations on these forums for the absolute truth. If you really want to get to know us, come talk to us on irc, you'll notice a lot of people will want to share their ideas with you. You'll be able to classify most of them as absolute garbage, but it'll at least give you an insight on what's living in the community. a good place to start is looking at the alliance recuitment forum and just start some general talks in the public channels these alliance give you.

Last edited by berten; 1 Aug 2010 at 04:04.
berten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2010, 09:59   #69
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Its not the amount of time needed to play this game, its the time of day its needed to play.

Everything happens at 8-10pm (target pick), 3-6am (launch attack / send defence).

You can pretty much ignore the rest of the day.

But thats the way PA has been since the time alliances first formed, not many other games require that level of commitment.

More options of gameplay need to be introduced that can run in real time (like covert-ops).

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2010, 10:49   #70
Mzyxptlk
mz.

That would change if PA were more of a global game, with less focus on Europe.
Unread 1 Aug 2010, 11:26   #71
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What's also important is that the larger the universe, the friendlier it is to newbies. Right now, it's all rather incestuous with the worst galaxies being mopped up pretty quick before any kind of real combat starts. Not that the short rounds make attacking your alliance enemies particularly efficient at the moment. With a bigger universe newbies will still be hit of course, but with a sufficiently long round, they'll have the latter end of the round to pretty much do what they want provided there isn't too much stagnation. In addition, I think a bigger universe will encourage people to balance their fleets more simply because there will be a bigger variety of threats for players to consider.

The advantage of planetarion is that in the era of mobile internet it has the accessibility it needs to work without the massive commitment of being near a computer all the time. There are also far more functions in game to help your colleagues deal with incoming without you needing to get online. In my view the game needs to strike a balance between rewarding commitment and making demands of people that they will never accept (e.g. getting up at 3am). Most players at the top level will do it, but that's because they have become genuinely appreciative of the game. As mz has described, this may be minimised with a more global player base and alliances would probably find it beneficial to balance their membership by timezone.

Whatever happens I think the game needs to focus on encouraging co-operation. In my opinion this means a largely random universe, only allowing small buddypacks, abolishing exiles and make players need to build their galaxies. The introduction of geography back into the game will reinforce this need, as you'll need a strong galaxy to survive in your cluster and you'll need to participate in the cluster alliance and you'll probably meet with people who will get involved in the war raging across the universe. Better players will moan, but in the earlier rounds working in a siege situation was something that many of the top players had to contend with and simply accept they were going to get a shitty ranking for the sake of the team. A cluster war also gives ordinary players the chance to participate in wars that matter. Right now it is all a bit of a closed shop and we need to change that.

The so called strategy and 'meta-game' that I've described above is what makes Planetarion exciting beyond the standard gameplay of a space-game where tactical knowledge, discipline and a bit of luck get you ahead. The very best players (who will ultimately be alliance leaders) have been good at these things to some extent, but they are first and foremost astute diplomats, respected leaders, long-term strategists and masters of logistics in terms of making sure hundreds of fleets are used in the most efficient way possible. Those working under them may not aspire to any of these commitments, but a good alliance will typically have players who are aware of all these things, know their station and understand the game mechanics and team strategies at work.

A good game of planetarion in my view will place massive demands on the alliance players to succeed and dominate the metagame while giving a newbie a challenging introduction with a community (first and foremost the galaxy) that will help them get started and give them access to the alliance game. My view is that the game needs to encourage community, communication and co-operation and make people realise that it's the best way to succeed. A profile or passport that you could pass from round to round and add 'friends' so you could keep tabs on all your mates playing and help each other out would be great, actually. At the same time, it should stop rewarding it as excessively as it does. Co-operation is its own reward by and large.

Alliances and alliance players have always pressed for more game changes to help them. Sometimes they are right (some players are quite selfless and responsible in fact), but quite a bit of the time they are just being extremely self centred and selfish. Why alliances need private galaxies and a -1 defence ETA has always been beyond me, why do they need an extra advantage when newbies get none beyond their galaxy and alliance players are all sitting in the same IRC channel anyway? Whoever is running the game needs to realise they need to cater for every type of player in every change they make. There's also the 'what to do between ticks' issue but that isn't really about the nature of the game.

Last edited by lokken; 1 Aug 2010 at 11:43.
lokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2010, 17:39   #72
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
Whatever happens I think the game needs to focus on encouraging co-operation. In my opinion this means a largely random universe, only allowing small buddypacks, abolishing exiles and make players need to build their galaxies. The introduction of geography back into the game will reinforce this need, as you'll need a strong galaxy to survive in your cluster and you'll need to participate in the cluster alliance and you'll probably meet with people who will get involved in the war raging across the universe.
This is a point well worth putting some emphasis on. Clusters, back in the day this and that, used to be a bridge between newbies and older players for many. Building up geography in order to encourage ("force") more cooperation between players outside set alliances (e.g. a randomly shuffled pack of people to cooperate with each round) is something that could do the game a world of good in terms of making it more open and easier to join to where the fun in the game actually is.
Unread 1 Aug 2010, 23:44   #73
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken View Post
Good post
vBulletin Message You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to lokken again.
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 02:28   #74
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Same message for me Theam :/

I would like to re-iterate some points here.

Geography makes the game vastly more interesting.

Cluster alliances turned into the original powerhouses of Planetarion, something many people have forgotten (except maybe Zhil).

The exile system is pretty crap, considering you can use it to create (semi)private galaxies and it discourages experienced players from digging their heels in and making a crap galaxy into a decent one, while perhaps creating repeat customers out of newbies in the process--and adding "fresh blood" into the community.

On a personal note, I quit playing because frankly getting up in the middle of the night to check an online spreadsheet is retarded. You click some buttons, then wait an hour. Rinse, repeat. If I can't play the game--and enjoy it--on my time, then it becomes an inconvenience. I was 20 when I started playing, but now I'm 30 and running my own business. Sure, I can play for free and run a "do nothing" planet, but it simply isn't rewarding.

Why do that when I can pay $15 a month for EvE and play the game entirely on my terms..."carebear" and run missions (making risk-free money), do PvP runs with friends (risky but exciting with explosions and pew pew), manufacturing, research, exploration etc.

All without worrying about what's going to happen to my stuff while I'm asleep. That's the key.

I'd play again, and get roided at night, if I felt I was entertained for the few hours a day I was in front of the computer, actually "playing". As it stands, there isn't anything to do aside from click buttons once an hour and chat on IRC.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 08:54   #75
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Overall A Good Post
An open Question to all although I am interested in Loks responce.
Suggestions on how to resurrect the cluster alliances of old?

Quote:
Why alliances need private galaxies and a -1 defence ETA has always been beyond me,
Based on full eta research being done and current game mechanics
Not being restricted by alliance politics I.E. having planets ingal that can't defend each other to their respective alliances being at war (sure you can still defend via fleet page but expect displinary action from the alliance HCs ) is one reason.
Fi/Co incoming would not be able to get covered by alliance without Prelaunch.

Quote:
That would change if PA were more of a global game.
Another open question to all.
Any suggestions on how to do this?

I know that if the game was not in English I would not have given PA a second look. My school boy German isn't great. Its great that they are folk in the PA community who can speak multiple languages.
(I'll admit I am green with envy )
It can restrict the potental to get new players outside of UK / USA / Down under as not everyone can speak English.

Having Multiple language support in game like going to Preferences > Account/Planet Settings then having some choices might help this.
Doesn't address IRC/Forums issues with non english use being a downside.
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 09:21   #76
neroon

neroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of light

remove prelaunch!

selected group still wakes up during night to livelaunch around 03:00 game time, tho alliances like CT and ND and such will most prolly make 1 03:00 game time attack and then another one in the morning for the members that werent able to join in to the night raid.. simple :P

this will make ppl launch more randomly and will spread the incoming times (atm its like always w1 launches 03:00-04:00, so if u see prelaunches u kinda know when to wake up and whats goin to happen :P)
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 09:55   #77
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley View Post
Suggestions on how to resurrect the cluster alliances of old?
ETA -1 attacks and defence in-cluster.
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 09:57   #78
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Whatever happens I think the game needs to focus on encouraging co-operation. In my opinion this means a largely random universe, only allowing small buddypacks, abolishing exiles and make players need to build their galaxies. The introduction of geography back into the game will reinforce this need, as you'll need a strong galaxy to survive in your cluster and you'll need to participate in the cluster alliance and you'll probably meet with people who will get involved in the war raging across the universe. Better players will moan, but in the earlier rounds working in a siege situation was something that many of the top players had to contend with and simply accept they were going to get a shitty ranking for the sake of the team. A cluster war also gives ordinary players the chance to participate in wars that matter. Right now it is all a bit of a closed shop and we need to change that.
100% agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
The exile system is pretty crap, considering you can use it to create (semi)private galaxies and it discourages experienced players from digging their heels in and making a crap galaxy into a decent one, while perhaps creating repeat customers out of newbies in the process--and adding "fresh blood" into the community.
exactly

Quote:
I'd play again, and get roided at night, if I felt I was entertained for the few hours a day I was in front of the computer, actually "playing". As it stands, there isn't anything to do aside from click buttons once an hour and chat on IRC.
much is been takin away indeed

no communication with gal anymore, or hardly any, cause if you dont know the ppl or feel they need help you exile asap

no communication in cluster anymore, cause someone said it was wise to remove cluster eta bonus

i mean you dont even have to stay awake anymore to report your incs, aka you dont need to communicate whos takin the night shift

end of story like lokken said, bring back cluster stuff and remove the exiling or transform it, see my thread here: http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=198805

in short create the need to coop with new ppl again

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 10:01   #79
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Having Multiple language support in game like going to Preferences > Account/Planet Settings then having some choices might help this.
Doesn't address IRC/Forums issues with non english use being a downside.
im willing to spend a few hours translating the full game + manual into german

just gimme a shout (no worries my german > my english )

and i am sure others would be willing to translate into their mother language aswell

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 11:09   #80
Tietäjä
Good Son

I don't think however that translating the manual into German will alleviate the problems that the game is very euro-centric. It's difficult to say why things never lit up more in say US, but likes Korea and China are probably a very difficult a market for these kinds of things.
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 12:30   #81
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post
im willing to spend a few hours translating the full game + manual into german

just gimme a shout (no worries my german > my english )

and i am sure others would be willing to translate into their mother language aswell
You just know someone will translate it all to klingon :/

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 12:42   #82
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I don't think however that translating the manual into German will alleviate the problems that the game is very euro-centric. It's difficult to say why things never lit up more in say US, but likes Korea and China are probably a very difficult a market for these kinds of things.
I know the point you are making Keiz... fair dues
I think M0rph is trying to get the ball rolling so to speak :P
Maybe making the game even more euro-centric ... Damn M0rph
(Thanks for volunteering your services )
Maybe a Spanish / Portuguese translation could open the game to South American / Brazilian new players as an example? Hard to say.

I would say getting in new players from anywhere in the world is welcomed
If being multi lingual helps great.

I know that the euro-centric effect on attacking times (1am-5am) gametime is Due to best chance(s) of not getting defense against your attack and as a result ... some folk stop playing like Cochese.

Maybe some sort of game mechanic could be used I think someone mentioned the removal of prelaunching.
Or Altering the xp formula for roid cap to make it vary from what time you land/launched your attack at could be a solution.

Im not pro or against these implimenting these suggestions but I am pro getting a discussion/new ideas going.
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 13:09   #83
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
I would say getting in new players from anywhere in the world is welcomed
If being multi lingual helps great.

The problem here is that the community is by heart very English orientated and if that's a big problem to you then you'll probably have issues entering it. This isn't just due to an euro-centric approach, but because the English just happens to be a kind of an universal internet language. I'm not convinced translating the game interface to Chinese would really do much to Chinese-only players, since they're still stuck outside the English speaking community if they're unable to discuss (which we've established multiple times to be the true thrill of the game - the community and team play). I don't foresee this changing radically, or satellite communities establishing themselves.

Besides, "globalizing" the game wouldn't really result in much else that the underlying problem remaining: having to wake up at awkward times is bound to happen to some people, and it's hard to say a way to detach from it (which would in my opinion be the optimal solution, but this is simply a nature of a game that runs 24 hours a day and has real-time interaction in that kind). I do agree it's a problem, the time slide, however, I think you have the causality approach slightly flawed here.
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 13:27   #84
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Translating the game and manual might be helpful for a new player to understand the game mechanics, but eventually the new player will be required to join IRC, participate in galaxy and/or alliance activities (defending, attacking, ...).

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 13:27   #85
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
The problem here is that the community is by heart very English orientated and if that's a big problem to you then you'll probably have issues entering it. This isn't just due to an euro-centric approach, but because the English just happens to be a kind of an universal internet language. I'm not convinced translating the game interface to Chinese would really do much to Chinese-only players, since they're still stuck outside the English speaking community if they're unable to discuss (which we've established multiple times to be the true thrill of the game - the community and team play). I don't foresee this changing radically, or satellite communities establishing themselves.

Besides, "globalizing" the game wouldn't really result in much else that the underlying problem remaining: having to wake up at awkward times is bound to happen to some people, and it's hard to say a way to detach from it (which would in my opinion be the optimal solution, but this is simply a nature of a game that runs 24 hours a day and has real-time interaction in that kind). I do agree it's a problem, the time slide, however, I think you have the causality approach slightly flawed here.
its true, the community would still talk english, but its easier to get to know a game if the game itself and the manual is in your native language

the communication on irc could be a learning field for ppl who hardly speak english, you dont need too much for a start on irc anyhow

apart from that, its not really takin too much work to enable a preferences language selection, at least not once you got the translation rdy

Unread 2 Aug 2010, 14:12   #86
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading your blogpost, presume its yours? http://xelronia.blogspot.com/2010/07/planetarion.html

and afew points to correct:
Planetarion is highly competitive and requires alot of time to even play casually (otherwise you're just basically going to be a farm). A flood of newbies wouldnt really effect the game much, other than the few training alliances which are setup would become full and could play a bigger role in politics. Those that dont manage to find an alliance, would simply be owned by the mechanics in the game.. You can not play PA solo.

If by a slim chance, the 'newbies' banded together to create several alliances of there own, the game would remain competitive as politics are open in Planetarion, so if the newbies pwned the current community with sheer numbers.. then the worst case scenario is a boring end round but even then, it would of bought back all of the old players who are currently idling on irc and not playing.

We had a case before where two communitys collided, I cant remember what happend to Planetarion but there community shifted over to ********** for a round and it became a ********** vs Planetarion round, which could of been highly fun but instead every decent ********** player simply switched sides before the round, so there was no real competition. If it happend this time, I doubt anyone would be switching over to the new players side, as no-one in this community has any ties with them (rather last time, most players in ********** came from planetarion).

Any influx of players would be good for the game and the game mechanics could certainly cope with them. Alot of members in this community were around when Planetarion had 100,000 planets with bigger alliances than they are now and in some cases, deeper politics.

Only bad thing i can see coming from this takeover, is what you said in your closing paragraph.. If JageX handles this round, it could be the end of Planetarion if they make changes which cause the old community to move and doesnt bring in a new community to replace them. Then again, i'd much prefer it if someone tried to make Planetarion a decent game, then to keep going on like it has been where nothing really changes and everything feels static and lifeless.

anyway, here's some more jagex forum thread to look over!
http://forum.tip.it/topic/272776-jag...s-planetarion/
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 14:19   #87
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
I was reading your blogpost, presume its yours? http://xelronia.blogspot.com/2010/07/planetarion.html

and afew points to correct:
Planetarion is highly competitive and requires alot of time to even play casually (otherwise you're just basically going to be a farm). A flood of newbies wouldnt really effect the game much, other than the few training alliances which are setup would become full and could play a bigger role in politics. Those that dont manage to find an alliance, would simply be owned by the mechanics in the game.. You can not play PA solo.

If by a slim chance, the 'newbies' banded together to create several alliances of there own, the game would remain competitive as politics are open in Planetarion, so if the newbies pwned the current community with sheer numbers.. then the worst case scenario is a boring end round but even then, it would of bought back all of the old players who are currently idling on irc and not playing.

We had a case before where two communitys collided, I cant remember what happend to Planetarion but there community shifted over to ********** for a round and it became a ********** vs Planetarion round, which could of been highly fun but instead every decent ********** player simply switched sides before the round, so there was no real competition. If it happend this time, I doubt anyone would be switching over to the new players side, as no-one in this community has any ties with them (rather last time, most players in ********** came from planetarion).

Any influx of players would be good for the game and the game mechanics could certainly cope with them. Alot of members in this community were around when Planetarion had 100,000 planets with bigger alliances than they are now and in some cases, deeper politics.

Only bad thing i can see coming from this takeover, is what you said in your closing paragraph.. If JageX handles this round, it could be the end of Planetarion if they make changes which cause the old community to move and doesnt bring in a new community to replace them. Then again, i'd much prefer it if someone tried to make Planetarion a decent game, then to keep going on like it has been where nothing really changes and everything feels static and lifeless.
I have to agree with some of the points Light puts forward here.

I think that the game mechanics would suffer more (from a mid-round influx) than the community itself. We'd probably need to get some more staff from the community / Jagex. I can't honestly see a huge problem with new players; at worst there'd be no integration between them and the current player base for a while, but the galaxy dynamic would mean that some percentage of those who stayed would get integrated

Also, if new players came and were good within a round or two, I think the Planetarion players would be happy as it'd be more of a challenge for them. They thrive on competition.

Finally, I'd like to confirm that this round Jagex will be learning more about the game, with a view to getting involved more in the next couple of rounds. They've always strongly emphasised that they want to make sure that the PA Team / the community are involved in the changes and the future of the game; Mark himself said this in his announcement.
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 14:25   #88
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster View Post
Finally, I'd like to confirm that this round Jagex will be learning more about the game, with a view to getting involved more in the next couple of rounds. They've always strongly emphasised that they want to make sure that the PA Team / the community are involved in the changes and the future of the game; Mark himself said this in his announcement.
I'd be interested to know why they bought the game in the first place, whats they're aim and where do/did they see PA going when they bought it? PA isnt even close to the best sci-fi browser based game anymore, so seems odd that they would buy PA.
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 14:26   #89
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster View Post
I have to agree with some of the points Light puts forward here.

I think that the game mechanics would suffer more (from a mid-round influx) than the community itself. We'd probably need to get some more staff from the community / Jagex. I can't honestly see a huge problem with new players; at worst there'd be no integration between them and the current player base for a while, but the galaxy dynamic would mean that some percentage of those who stayed would get integrated

Also, if new players came and were good within a round or two, I think the Planetarion players would be happy as it'd be more of a challenge for them. They thrive on competition.
We won't need staff to be honest. To a large extent the game used to be run with less staff than there is now, proving the old rule that bureaucracy expands to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy. There is also not a chance in hell that the current alliances would get flooded out by a horde of new players. It didn't happen when we had tons of new players joining the game and it won't happen now.

New players are definitely a massive plus though. It'll re-expand the lower levels of the game, add depth and complexity and over time add new players to the higher echelons of the game where, to be honest, most people are fairly bored at this stage due to the lack of genuinely novel competition.
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 14:55   #90
Cowch
Moo

I'm concerned about Jagex introducing their players to PA too soon. I think that Jagex forum post where someone described Pa as a "click on this button 500 times to level up game" shows the danger. There needs to be a more user friendly interface before we bring in new players or else not enough of them will stay.

If they're concerned we can't handle that many n00bs... send them in. I have some experience three-fleet bashing.

Last edited by Cowch; 2 Aug 2010 at 21:23.
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 14:57   #91
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowch View Post
If they're concerned we can't handle that many n00bs... send them in. I have some experience three-fleet bashing.
I m going zik

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 15:16   #92
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
I'd be interested to know why they bought the game in the first place, whats they're aim and where do/did they see PA going when they bought it? PA isnt even close to the best sci-fi browser based game anymore, so seems odd that they would buy PA.
Well, that may be possible to be answered on Thursday, in our CH. It's not with the CEO of Jagex (unfortunately) who was involved in a lot of the bidding. I'll try and make a list of questions for him
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 16:20   #93
Cowch
Moo

Nobody let me bid... I have at least $10 in my bank account. How much did PA go for?
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 21:17   #94
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
On a personal note, I quit playing because frankly getting up in the middle of the night to check an online spreadsheet is retarded. You click some buttons, then wait an hour. Rinse, repeat. If I can't play the game--and enjoy it--on my time, then it becomes an inconvenience. I was 20 when I started playing, but now I'm 30 and running my own business. Sure, I can play for free and run a "do nothing" planet, but it simply isn't rewarding.

Why do that when I can pay $15 a month for EvE and play the game entirely on my terms..."carebear" and run missions (making risk-free money), do PvP runs with friends (risky but exciting with explosions and pew pew), manufacturing, research, exploration etc.

All without worrying about what's going to happen to my stuff while I'm asleep. That's the key.

The point of planetarion should be that you are able to cooperate to a level where enough of the time you wouldn't need to do this and that your friends will cover you. For example, say if I got attacked, all my alliance mates, galaxy mates and 'friends' were alerted to incoming. Players could then be able to post commentary to the incoming, saying what they had sent to cover it, share scans, etc.

However, Cochese - one facet of planetarion you will need to accept is that you will get roided at night, although I find your particular issue odd, given that you are a US player. In my opinion prelaunch attacking should be discouraged (perhaps a percentage chance of detection or limited to a smaller number of ticks) or maybe even removed as it currently means that attackers go to bed and get rest, and defenders are up at 3 or 4 am to pool defence. My only downer on clipping attacking prelaunch is that it removes the sit planets prelaunched to hostile planets to make them prelaunch defence on the wrong place, and switch at the last minute tactic.

Another suggestion would be to return to the old system of 3 tick attacking and 6 tick defending. This basically limited you to receiving two waves a night when you are up against a raid or in a war, and gave the attackers and defenders much more to think about:

- I don't have enough defence now, can I cover tick 3 and encourage a recall?

- If that defence is covering/partially covering my fleets for the third tick, will I be online to recall or will the losses pay off given what I gained before that last tick?

- How can I distribute my fleets across the galaxy in light of the respective losses and gains that can be made from missing the odd tick?

- Do I want to commit fleets for defending one or two ticks? Or attacking for one or two ticks?

This had the side benefit of slowing the game down, which meant combined with a longer round meant long term tactics really paid dividends. Planetarion was once a bit of an endurance battle, which meant managing yourself from day to day and focussing your strategy to get to the end. In my opinion it's this kind of experience that got a lot of Ascendancy through r30, which is why many of us rate the performance so highly. It was straight from the old school play book.

Fundamentally though, you need a lot more players to make the game work well. I believe that more players is never bad in Planetarion, in fact unless it takes out the servers it's pretty much all good. Another thing people have mentioned is the interface - it's a bit too complicated now and some of the skins are just crap.
Unread 3 Aug 2010, 00:18   #95
DarkHeart

DarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really nice

I returned (again and with no trumpets blaring) to play PA again last round, and whilst it was semi enjoyable, it felt horribly decrepit. Whilst it was good to see some of the same faces be it with a different tag around their necks, the last round was exactly that. The same old faces with different tags around their necks. Whilst the community is and always has been decent, I've never felt it IS the meta game nymore. Quite clearly (as evident in the ever dwindling numbers) the meta game sucks. We all got older. We all got wiser. So wise we all just piss each other off and get on each others tits.

If the meta game is in fact the community, why did the majority of the community migrate to different games. Sure you can point a stick at paid rounds but most of us play different games which are more expensive. We have just as great if not better communities there.. that are 10 times larger and still just a tiny slice of the overall games populace?

MY honest and long held suspicion. Is that the current heroes of PA are the dirth that was left behind by the PA heroes of old finding a better way to spend their time. What is left has become so vicious precisely because it is so insignificant. I dont say that with malevolance though it does sound just plain mean..just a casual and truthful observation... I know of an old wolf pack bc who recently ran a live raid for his clan (on LOTR) at a game companys headquaters, fully sponsered by the company.

The meta game is what little is left trying to hold on to some pretense of power and glory which they may find unobtainable else where. A sentiment of no wrong and no right, it cannot be proven or disproven, for every example I could provide it could no doubt be countered and ridiculed. But thats my opinion no matter how insignificant, and its intresting to see that opinion reinforced by several non intrested observers from jagex fansites having read a few posts here.

I don't keep coming back to this game because of the community. And my priorties in life and my career far outweigh a burning desire to get up at 3am each morning and try for a top 10 planet.

But I do keep coming back and I come back to this game to retaste old and faded memories of a game i once loved. I stay for a few rounds then go again. What would make me stay is a prelaunch system that allowed prelaunches but did not show prelaunches. A system that encourged landing for both offense and defense. A system which could see my planet raped nightly but still be worth a damn to hit anything short of nubs. On the other hand a game which encouraged nubs to be worth hitting rather than just a random string of letter and numbers in a database...basically a more dynamic and flexible game than 'launch two ticks at night and one in the morning'. Im not saying that as a DH knows best thing...just an outsider looking in rather than an insider looking out.

Removing prelaunch would be the stupidest move this game could make until a substitute system is introduced which encourages attack during the daytime (if viewed from a euro perspective).

As to the translating thing... didnt there used to be several alliances back in the day which were for x speaking players only. It could onlyy be a positive thing to get the manual translated and let communities form based around whatever several people find in common with each other.

Anyways im ranbling now, too many beers and its way past my bedtime... i guess what i wanted to say was that for years now the community comes up with suggestions they wanna see implemented and appoco does his best with few resources to appease the majority. But this is very insular and self serving. Maybe just let jagex be, let them come to their own conclusions on pa's shortfalls and develop systems that they feel would work to introduce new players and keep new players in the game. Lets face it.. you guys have stayed here for all these years so stop clamouring for jagexs attention coz u aint going nowhere. In doing so you only reinforce the 'rape pa players for monies and then sell up' mentality. let them do their job and see if they can bring in some fresh blood!

p.s. apologies if little or none of that made any sense. it felt good to get it off my chest.
DarkHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2010, 07:20   #96
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
We won't need staff to be honest.
I believe it's been made more or less clear that there haven't been sufficient staff resources to apply any reasonably labour-intensive to implement changes to the game. What we need is resources to put code in, and work out "new" (or old, see below) things into the game. What we don't need is more bureaucracy - multihunters, support idlers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
Another suggestion would be to return to the old system of 3 tick attacking and 6 tick defending. This had the side benefit of slowing the game down, which meant combined with a longer round meant long term tactics really paid dividends.
Anything that slows the game down and causes less emphasis to be put on a single tick of events and increases the tactical depth of the combat system is a welcome change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeart
Quite clearly (as evident in the ever dwindling numbers) the meta game sucks
It's a self-fulfilling cycle. Numbers dwindling causes the metagame suck, because it cuts down on the number of alliances of any pedigree, and thus reduces the amount of things actually going on in the meta. Which again causes the game to become duller and the numbers to dwindle. It's been a slide. The way I see it 13 could have been the last truly interesting a round. It feels like yesterday, however, we're now at whatnot 38.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeart
until a substitute system is introduced which encourages attack during the daytime (if viewed from a euro perspective).
Yeah. The funny thing is, at a certain point, it would've been quite much less relevant, since, people would be awake or phoned up to fleet out anyways at the night. It slowly slid towards late morning hours due to "fleets already being out then so it's good time to launch" -attitude, but probably backtracked due to the alliances eroding.

I understand the game sucks, in 10 paragraphs, but what do you think that could be made to improve things for you?
Unread 3 Aug 2010, 20:17   #97
DarkHeart

DarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really nice

Tietaja, im not sure, (and not being sarcastic just truthful) but thats why I dont own a multi million pound gaming company such as jagex.

At best guess

- increased bravery (and thus xp) for day raiding.
- Time anomalies or such stuff which allow faster travel time during certain hours (since the majority of the community is euro, preferably between 17:00 GMT and 00:00 GMT)
- prelaunches which do not show
- covert ops and scanning not needing tech trees (basically so any1 can do them at any time)
- population actually being expanded to become a maningful part of the game
- CARGO PODS!
- Redirect missions (if you are attacking / defending within x:x:x gal you can switch targets within x:x:x gal with a 1 tick delay to your tt

Just a few. but they are very self serving. thats what would make the game better for me. Not neccassirly to every1s taste, but when i come home from work I have very little to do in pa. At the weekend I have very little to do in pa. Gal raids on my gal are about as exciting as the game gets. This game currently exists in the world of dreams, when every1 is asleep the game comes to life. When every1 is awake the game goes to rest. Its a retarded and redundant cycle, and if you have any aspirations and personal ambition to excel in life then it is to tiring a game to play consistently.

- note I put in the scanning not needing a tech tree due to this

For the first two weeks of the round my game is non existent whilst I become self sufficient in scanning. Whilst I can (thankfully) afford a decent phone with internet connection, I cant afford to spend half an hour at a time communicating with friends or allies to get scans or calcs whilst I am in work, as I work in an office with my boss two desks away.

Being a self sufficient scanner is essential to my game, so its a shame i lose two weeks out of very short rounds whilst I build a palnet infastructure and become self sufficient.
Unread 3 Aug 2010, 20:26   #98
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeart View Post
Being a self sufficient scanner is essential to my game, so its a shame i lose two weeks out of very short rounds whilst I build a palnet infastructure and become self sufficient.
See you're already making some very good points about this and that and the single player content and lack of it.
Unread 3 Aug 2010, 20:40   #99
DarkHeart

multi million pound gaming company here i come zo/