User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 4 May 2010, 23:27   #1
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold
Starcraft 2

Anyone here play the beta? There's still a couple of people left in #starcraft on irc if anyone's interested in playing together.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Linkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2010, 00:05   #2
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Starcraft 2

Ive got a key finally, loving it!
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2010, 00:49   #3
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

how do i get one
Unread 5 May 2010, 08:33   #4
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

I have played the beta for a while now. Yesterday, I even received an additional Beta key ;-)

Alki, make an account on gamersnet. After that, you can subscribe for the beta (also for Diablo III beta for instance). If you get lucky, they'll mail you with a beta key.

Imo, there isn't much significant difference with SC1. Sure you got new units (some) and it all looks alot nicer, but then basics remain the same.

Rgds Kj

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2010, 10:36   #5
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Heh.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2010, 11:41   #6
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

It's pretty different actually.

Unread 5 May 2010, 12:50   #7
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkie View Post
It's pretty different actually.
I've played it quite alot of times and I used to play SC I plenty of times aswell back in the days. Please do tell me how it is so much different?

- Still the same 3 races
- Still the same 2 minerals to gather
- Still the same basic units (ok, each race has several new units)
- Still the same upgrade of unit defence, attack and buildings
- Still the same race specific tech like:
  • Terran still need to put marines in their bunkers
  • Proton still need to put those power crystals everywhere to power their buildings
  • Zerg still has to build in close approximity of their base, on specific soil.
It just looks alot better and the races have some new units and upgrades.

Rgds Kj

FA Gaming community

Unread 5 May 2010, 13:14   #8
Linkie
fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran View Post
I've played it quite alot of times and I used to play SC I plenty of times aswell back in the days. Please do tell me how it is so much different?

- Still the same 3 races
  • Terran still need to put marines in their bunkers
  • Proton still need to put those power crystals everywhere to power their buildings
  • Zerg still has to build in close approximity of their base, on specific soil.

Rgds Kj
The game is a lot less micro-intensive due to bigger control groups, stacking commands, etc. Also, 2 gas at every base in the new maps have changed the gas dynamic a lot. Zerg queens means they have to exp a lot less than they used to. High ground advantage is nearly gone, especially late-game. Also, all races seem to have more mobile units than they used to, except zerg. They also lost their strongest defensive unit in the lurker. A lot has changed, atleast concerning competitive gameplay.

Unread 5 May 2010, 13:40   #9
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
The game is a lot less micro-intensive due to bigger control groups, stacking commands, etc. Also, 2 gas at every base in the new maps have changed the gas dynamic a lot. Zerg queens means they have to exp a lot less than they used to. High ground advantage is nearly gone, especially late-game. Also, all races seem to have more mobile units than they used to, except zerg. They also lost their strongest defensive unit in the lurker. A lot has changed, atleast concerning competitive gameplay.
Yeah, that's all true what you said but still ... to me that doesn't sound like "a lot" really. Certainly not for a game that got hyped quite a bit and therefor pple have high expectations of.

I agree that they implemented some changes to boost competitive gameplay. But what I meant was. The first game I played in SC II, everything went naturally. I knew what to do, what to build and everything felt so natural. As in, like the first game.

Perhaps that's a good thing, depends on how you look at it. An extra race or a complete revamp of a race would have been fun as it offers a new aspect to what pple already knew from Starcraft.

Then again, Beta is only multiplayer atm so we got no idea how the single player missions will look like.

FA Gaming community

Unread 5 May 2010, 13:57   #10
Linkie
fanboy

Yes, the tech tree and basic gameplay is very similar. But the game flows very different from how SC1 did. So it's pretty easy to learn/get into, but still very hard to master.

Unread 5 May 2010, 14:21   #11
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Then again, Beta is only multiplayer atm so we got no idea how the single player missions will look like.
I remember reading somewhere that there will be a new race in the campaign or something (I guess they didn't want the trouble of adding the race to multiplayer due to balance issues)
Unread 5 May 2010, 15:02   #12
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_ View Post
I remember reading somewhere that there will be a new race in the campaign or something (I guess they didn't want the trouble of adding the race to multiplayer due to balance issues)
That would be nice. question is whether it'll be a playable new race, or just a race you'll have to compete against.

And yes, the beta only offers the 3 known races.

Linkie, like any RTS ... it's hard to master it and be really good at it. I remember games on battlenet in SC1 which finished after 5 minutes as that was all the enemy needed to waste me ... :-)

Single player is often easy, at best mildly challenging but quite worthless if you play against other decent players.

FA Gaming community

Unread 5 May 2010, 18:27   #13
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, that's all true what you said but still ... to me that doesn't sound like "a lot" really. Certainly not for a game that got hyped quite a bit and therefor pple have high expectations of.
It got hyped up alot due to it being Starcraft 2, it wouldnt make sense to completly revamp everything so it isnt even reconisable to the original starcraft universe.

Quote:
I agree that they implemented some changes to boost competitive gameplay. But what I meant was. The first game I played in SC II, everything went naturally. I knew what to do, what to build and everything felt so natural. As in, like the first game.
Thats mainly due to Blizzard keeping with the original RTS mechanics. They havent drastically changed anything, mainly due to them not needing to.

Quote:
Perhaps that's a good thing, depends on how you look at it. An extra race or a complete revamp of a race would have been fun as it offers a new aspect to what pple already knew from Starcraft.
Adding or changing things just for the sake of change is very rarely a good thing.

Quote:
1 playable race (Terran) with a story told through the eyes of raynor. It is 26 missions long (29 in total but 3 a or b choices) and the campaign will last roughly 20 hours for a good player (much longer for a bad/new player). The missions will be highly varied and not just the standard RTS missions (similar to how in SC one, we had that 'inside a bunker' mission in the terran campaign with a group of marines). There are also alot of units in the singleplayer campaign which are not available in multiplayer modes (mainly due to balance) such as the firebat from the original SC (but im sure there will be more units other than SC originals).

There will also be a 'challange' series in the game, which has alot of challanges aimed at getting you better at playing the game competitevly. It will teach you the basics to macro'ing your economy (got to get X amount of units in X minutes), micro'ing each unit (you get X amount of Y units and you have to fend of X amounts of Z units using only those units and terrain), and general tips and hints which you may of missed during the original campaign (such as in singleplayer you may not go for units so quickly but in multiplayer you have to). There isnt much info apart from this but there will be challanges for each race and its highly likely in these challanges they will teach you how to play protoss/zerg as you wont have played them in the campaign.

Thats all we know about singleplayer modes in SC2 but you can be pretty certain that there arnt any drastic changes to the gameplay or RTS style.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Unread 5 May 2010, 18:29   #14
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Quote:
That would be nice. question is whether it'll be a playable new race, or just a race you'll have to compete against.
I havent read it anywhere but Terran is the only confirmed playable race in Singleplayer campaign.
Unread 5 May 2010, 22:56   #15
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

No I've been too busy playing Heroes of Newerth with Deepflow and his bros
Unread 6 May 2010, 03:25   #16
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

shame both you and deepflow suck at it.
Unread 6 May 2010, 10:23   #17
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
I havent read it anywhere but Terran is the only confirmed playable race in Singleplayer campaign.
I don't get it why they've done that. In the original SC, you could play all 3 races and each had about 12-13 campaigns. It's a shame really that you can only play Terran.

FA Gaming community

Unread 6 May 2010, 10:23   #18
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat View Post
No I've been too busy playing Heroes of Newerth with Deepflow and his bros
Got the beta installed aswell, played it a few times but it's not my cup of tea

FA Gaming community

Unread 6 May 2010, 10:27   #19
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I don't get it why they've done that. In the original SC, you could play all 3 races and each had about 12-13 campaigns. It's a shame really that you can only play Terran.
There will be expansions with a Zerg and Protoss campaign.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 6 May 2010, 10:33   #20
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
There will be expansions with a Zerg and Protoss campaign.
Payable expansions ...

FA Gaming community

Unread 6 May 2010, 10:56   #21
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Quote:
The Terran campaign is massive, over 20hours of gameplay.

Apparently, they started working on the Terran campaign and realised too late that it was way too big and they couldnt finish all 3 campaigns in time. So decided to split it.
Unread 6 May 2010, 12:33   #22
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
The Terran campaign is massive, over 20hours of gameplay.

Apparently, they started working on the Terran campaign and realised too late that it was way too big and they couldnt finish all 3 campaigns in time. So decided to split it.
Well ofcourse. They can't just deliver 1 playable race with only 12 campaigns aye. And I find it odd that Blizzard screwed up their planning. Not something we're used of from this company.

FA Gaming community

Unread 6 May 2010, 12:51   #23
Mzyxptlk
mz.

This wasn't a planning screw up. This has been known for at least a year. Do keep up.
Unread 6 May 2010, 12:59   #24
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
This wasn't a planning screw up. This has been known for at least a year. Do keep up.
Light just said that they worked on the Terran campaign and realised to late that they won't be able to deliver the same for the other races within the deadline. Even if this has been known for over a year, doesn't change the fact that it's a planning screw up.

Either you meet your deadline, or you screwed up. Rather simplistic but you get the point.

FA Gaming community

Unread 6 May 2010, 13:06   #25
Mzyxptlk
mz.

I am unable (too lazy) to find sources, but as far as I remember, they originally planned 3 x ~10 missions, but were able to come up with so much stuff that they might as well make 3 separate games out of them.

They only announced the release date a couple of days ago, so saying they "ran out of time" is fairly idiotic.
Unread 6 May 2010, 13:35   #26
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
I am unable (too lazy) to find sources, but as far as I remember, they originally planned 3 x ~10 missions, but were able to come up with so much stuff that they might as well make 3 separate games out of them.

They only announced the release date a couple of days ago, so saying they "ran out of time" is fairly idiotic.
Did I say any of that? Nope. I only replied to what Light posted. He said this. And IF that was the case, then it's a planning screw up.

Please put effort into reading my posts :-)

FA Gaming community

Unread 6 May 2010, 14:00   #27
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Quote:

They planned 3x alot of missions, as they designed it for 'buyable upgrades' (which means the campaign has to be pretty long in order to have a decent tech tree to upgrade through) and side missions to gain the money to upgrade (which means the main campaign would only be 5-7 missions long with the 3-5 side missions).

Quote:
Well ofcourse. They can't just deliver 1 playable race with only 12 campaigns aye. And I find it odd that Blizzard screwed up their planning. Not something we're used of from this company.
They didnt screw up there planning, they was just over-ambitious with what they could do. They started work on the Terran campaign then realised half way through that they couldnt finish it in time with everything they had planned and finish the other 2 races up to the same standard.. So they either had a choice of cutting things out/skipping things that they wanted in, or they could just do Terran only and make it awesome. They chose the later option and hopefully it was the right choice, we'll see!

They only finished the singleplayer portion afew months ago (finished as in, they are just polishing it).

The only problem i have with Starcraft 2 at the moment, is actually not Starcraft 2 but Battle.net 2, it just seems so lonely without open/public chat channels. The league system is nice but in lower divisions it just seems pointless as there's no competition within your league, as you're unlikely to play each other and theres no channel to chat to each other, so you actually have no contact with the people you're meant to be competiting against. Although, i'd say that problem is fixed in platinum leagues where there is competition to be #1 between the top 5/8 players.
Unread 6 May 2010, 14:06   #28
Linkie
fanboy

Also, no cross continent play

Unread 6 May 2010, 14:37   #29
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Shame, I always enjoyed playing with Russians and Koreans ... :-)

FA Gaming community

Unread 6 May 2010, 16:17   #30
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Did I say any of that? Nope. I only replied to what Light posted. He said this. And IF that was the case, then it's a planning screw up.

Please put effort into reading my posts :-)
Then maybe instead of taking everything Light says as the The Word, you could look up some info. Just a thought.
Unread 6 May 2010, 18:13   #31
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Quote:
Then maybe instead of taking everything Light says as the The Word, you could look up some info. Just a thought.
I didnt say they completly screwed up though, just that they released the terran campaign was going to take too long to put in everything they wanted, so decided to split it into 3 expansions.
Unread 6 May 2010, 22:12   #32
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

I remember a day when games were finished when they came out and you didn't have to buy the game and then buy multiple "expansions" to actually have the complete game.
Also back in those days expansion actually added in something new instead of stuff that should have been in the game in the first place...

Anyway on topic, never played the original and highly doubt I'm gonna play this one. Not really that big of a strategy or blizzard fan

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2010, 22:20   #33
x-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Takion Champion

x-dANGEr is infamous around these parts

Quote:

- Still the same 3 races
Terran still need to put marines in their bunkers
Proton still need to put those power crystals everywhere to power their buildings
Zerg still has to build in close approximity of their base, on specific soil.

Rgds Kj
I imagine you haven't gone in-depth playing it yet. There are drastic changes.. Sure, each race still has the same general theme, but it is still the same story you know. I guess it is fun. ))

If you can comfort a tear, do so, but never agrieve someone innocent.
x-dANGEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2010, 22:52   #34
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_ View Post
shame both you and deepflow suck at it.
Alright captain "i can totally make this kill just gotta keep chasin just gotta keep chasing just gotta... oh the tower and creeps killed me... again"

You're a baddy, even Henry is better than you!
Unread 7 May 2010, 08:54   #35
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Yes, if I would have been able to do that, I would have. Sadly I'm at work and all 'gaming' sites are blocked, hence I needed to base myself on what Light wrote.

Regardless, it doesn't matter how you describe it or what the reasons behind it were. They didn't manage to complete their goals, target within the deadline. So they '****ed up' the planning. There's no way around that, regardless what the reasons are.

Nice to see there are still some smartasses using this forum ...

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 May 2010, 08:57   #36
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
I didnt say they completly screwed up though, just that they released the terran campaign was going to take too long to put in everything they wanted, so decided to split it into 3 expansions.
Yes, hence they screwed up the planning. It's no rocket science to understand this you know. You have a deadline, if you don't meet the goals within the deadline, something went wrong with the planning. Simple.

This isn't even something that one can argue about, there is no right or wrong here.

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 May 2010, 08:59   #37
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-dANGEr View Post
I imagine you haven't gone in-depth playing it yet. There are drastic changes.. Sure, each race still has the same general theme, but it is still the same story you know. I guess it is fun. ))
Only played several multiplayer games as that's all what is available in this beta. I've mainly focussed on Proton as a race, and I did find alot of similarities. Ok, some new units and some changes to multiplayer and game dynamics, but I expected more.

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 May 2010, 09:11   #38
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
They didn't manage to complete their goals, target within the deadline.
Their goals changed.

Quote:
Proton
I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about, but it looks like you don't know what you're talking about.
Unread 7 May 2010, 09:14   #39
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Their goals changed.

I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about, but it looks like you don't know what you're talking about.
Ahh lol. So aslong as you change the goals, you didn't screw up the planning? Lol, in what world do you live?

Me: "Yes boss, I decided to only do half my work. I changed this and set this as my new goal so I can meet the deadline"
Boss: "Super, what a great employee you are, because you reached the deadline. Here's an extra bonus even !!!"

Nope sorry, if you have to change your goals to reach the deadline, it means you ****ed up the initial planning. maybe you were too enthousiastic, not realistic enough, didn't take certain things into account, ...

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 May 2010, 09:16   #40
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Their goals changed.

I meant Protoss. Is this the way you argue ...

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 May 2010, 09:40   #41
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Ahh lol. So aslong as you change the goals, you didn't screw up the planning? Lol, in what world do you live?

Me: "Yes boss, I decided to only do half my work. I changed this and set this as my new goal so I can meet the deadline"
Boss: "Super, what a great employee you are, because you reached the deadline. Here's an extra bonus even !!!"

Nope sorry, if you have to change your goals to reach the deadline, it means you ****ed up the initial planning. maybe you were too enthousiastic, not realistic enough, didn't take certain things into account, ...
I would agree if they had to adjust their goals downwards, however, this is not the case (quite the opposite). Also, do you have a problem with the edit button?
Unread 7 May 2010, 09:51   #42
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
I would agree if they had to adjust their goals downwards, however, this is not the case (quite the opposite). Also, do you have a problem with the edit button?
Instead, they don't deliver a "full" game and let those that really want to experience the full new game, buy 1 or 2 expansions, containing the missing playable races.

In my books, that's a SERIOUS downward adjustment. So you pay equal money for the game, but get less content (ok, more campaigns but only 1/3 playable races) and the other content, that was originally planned to be included, you probably will have to pay for aswell.

I'd like to see you defending that 'solution' in a business environment ...

Also drop you poor attempts at patronizing me. I've noticed from your posting style that you fail at "just" providing arguements, and therefor have to resort to off topic statements in the hope to destabilize whoever you're arguing with. I don't mind, I just find it rather pathetic :-)

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 May 2010, 09:57   #43
Mzyxptlk
mz.

If we define "content" as "time spent on a single play through", then no, I don't feel they adjusted their goals downwards. We could also look at price to unique content ratio, in which case buying all 3 games yields the same ratio as buying Starcraft 1 plus Broodwar did. And if you think I'm patronising you now, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Unread 7 May 2010, 10:16   #44
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
If we define "content" as "time spent on a single play through", then no, I don't feel they adjusted their goals downwards. We could also look at price to unique content ratio, in which case buying all 3 games yields the same ratio as buying Starcraft 1 plus Broodwar did. And if you think I'm patronising you now, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Lol, I don't care if this is you patronizing or not. It's your posting style and it's crap, that's all I'm saying.

I don't mind, I'm used of entire AD flaming at me for 16 rounds so I'll manage.

Compared to their initial goals, it's a downgrade. Sure they'll deliver more campaigns for the Terran race, but they'll not deliver 3 playable races, something they commited themselves to when hyping the sequel on SC1.

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 May 2010, 10:44   #45
Linkie
fanboy

Honestly, I don't think it's a downgrade. You get more content for less money. I'm sure everyone expected atleast 1 expansion anyway (like BW), and most people were expecting to buy it. Sure, it might be a bit of a dissapointment to some carebears that they only get to play 1 race for the same amount of money, but for everyone who plays online, the single-player is only a very very minor part of the game.

Edit: Considering bad/wrong planning. I think this is pretty normal in the game industry. You have very fluid deadlines, because things change A LOT. And I think Blizzard is very used to putting quality over quantity, so they are very open to delay things to improve gameplay.

Last edited by Linkie; 7 May 2010 at 10:50.
Unread 7 May 2010, 10:57   #46
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think it's a downgrade. You get more content for less money. I'm sure everyone expected atleast 1 expansion anyway (like BW), and most people were expecting to buy it. Sure, it might be a bit of a dissapointment to some carebears that they only get to play 1 race for the same amount of money, but for everyone who plays online, the single-player is only a very very minor part of the game.

Edit: Considering bad/wrong planning. I think this is pretty normal in the game industry. You have very fluid deadlines, because things change A LOT. And I think Blizzard is very used to putting quality over quantity, so they are very open to delay things to improve gameplay.
Well yes, we all know Blizzard has the habit to change deadlines. I've played WoW for several years (until half a year ago really), so I know all about it

You comment on from a multiplayer approach. In that option it might possibly not be a downgrade, as you get to play the 3 races anyway. But don't underestimate the amount of gamers that will buy the game to play single player campaigns. For those, you cannot deny that it's a serious downgrade. Especially because you basically force them to buy the expansion.

In SC1, BW did not offer significant new content as in more playable races for instance.

I'll play the game regardless of any this, cuz I really enjoy it.

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 May 2010, 12:49   #47
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Quote:
Well yes, we all know Blizzard has the habit to change deadlines. I've played WoW for several years (until half a year ago really), so I know all about it
Actually, Blizzard very rarely changes its deadlines as they never announce there deadlines or release date. People and the media just presume when Blizzard announces a game and it looks almost finished that its coming out that year. When Starcraft 2 was announced, alot of people and alot of the media put up the possible release date for christmas 2007, Blizzard never intended at all to release it then or anywhere near then. Considering they only announced the only terran playable last year, it means that in 2007/2008 they hadnt even begun work on the zerg/protoss campaigns.

In starcraft 2, the only deadline they've actually missed is getting the beta out at christmas and we only announced that as they said that the beta is ready but Battle.Net 2 has been delayed due to some bugs.

Quote:
You comment on from a multiplayer approach. In that option it might possibly not be a downgrade, as you get to play the 3 races anyway. But don't underestimate the amount of gamers that will buy the game to play single player campaigns. For those, you cannot deny that it's a serious downgrade. Especially because you basically force them to buy the expansion.
There was always going to be at least one expansion, you get this with every RTS game. Its also a upgrade for some people, as everyone gets a prefered race and a race they hate playing. For example, alot of players hate playing zerg and may not want the zerg campagn but love terran.. now they get an awesome terran campaign much bigger than they would of thought.

If you want to play the 3 races singleplayer, then yes.. you will have to buy the expansions but again? how is that a problem? you're not buying the expansion just for say the 'protoss' campaign which should of been in the original game, you're buying it for an epicly long and enjoyable protoss campaign.

I love protoss and dont really like playing terran/zerg (although i do love the storylines) and im pleased by this announcement as now while i will have to wait to play the protoss campaign, i know its going to be worth the price based on what i'll see in the terran campaign.

Quote:
In SC1, BW did not offer significant new content as in more playable races for instance.
Why do people always want 'more playable races', if they dont add nothing to the game, there's no point. Three races is the best number for diversity/balance and adding any more would just feel wrong.

SC:BW gave us a really nice campaign and better multiplayer. So it improved on the original game, which is what expansions are meant to do Expansions arnt meant to be entirly new games but an extra for the original game.

Quote:
I'll play the game regardless of any this, cuz I really enjoy it.
and isnt that all that matterss?

Im completly biased as im a Blizzard fangirl. They've never disappointed me yet so im more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until im proved otherwise. I did not like the announcement of splitting the races campaigns into 3 but with time to think of it, i now prefer it this way.. as each race now gets an epic campaign/storyline rather than just 10 missions.

Im just thinking that, Blizzard managed to make pretty nice campaigns in WC3 and SC for each race with only using 10-12 missions, im highly looking forward to what they've managed to do with 26-29 missions for each race.
Unread 7 May 2010, 13:23   #48
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Ohh, but I have no doubt about the quality they will deliver. Blizzard has very rarely let me down (Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft, ... all top games imo, including all sequals). On the other hand, having played 3years of Wow (quite intensively, clearing all andgame content), I've also experienced some less positive things from Blizzard.

When I meant more playable races, I didn't mean more then the 3 known ones. SC enabled you to play all 3 races (be it not in the order you prefer or want). BW was a nice expansion, providing extra campaigns and so on. But it did not offer any major changes to the game. And you're right, it shouldn't be a "new" game.

But with SC, you get like >20 awesome Terran campaigns. Ok, that's all nice etc. The expansion however WILL include alot major changes, like a completely "new" race to play with.

Also, what are the goals of such campaigns? To gradually get to know the race and all it's upgrades and end content. So over the course of e.g. 10 campaigns, they'll slowely give you more and more options until you see the full range of skills and structures of that race. That and the occasional "special" mission for fun factor.

Now, Only Terran campaign is available to play with. Yet all 3 races can be played with in multiplayer. Hence you'll get to experience all endgame content of Protoss and Zerg aswell, while the campaigns for it are not released yet.

I find it abit odd that you finally get those in a later expansion, while you already could play them in multiplayer mode.

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 May 2010, 13:39   #49
_Kila_
break it down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat View Post
Alright captain "i can totally make this kill just gotta keep chasin just gotta keep chasing just gotta... oh the tower and creeps killed me... again"

You're a baddy, even Henry is better than you!
"hey look, Kila's disconnected"
"Should we pause it?"
"nah"
"oh no the hero in his lane just killed me 3 times ((("

Just so you don't forget, I came back and carried that game despite you guys feeding.
Unread 7 May 2010, 14:12   #50
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Quote:
Ohh, but I have no doubt about the quality they will deliver. Blizzard has very rarely let me down (Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft, ... all top games imo, including all sequals). On the other hand, having played 3years of Wow (quite intensively, clearing all andgame content), I've also experienced some less positive things from Blizzard.
WoW is an exception in that, its an ongoing game and people will be disappointed with the game/blizzard the longer they play the game. Mainly due to it changing from the game they originally fell in love with, weither that its getting more casual, quests are now boring, and raids are beginning to feel repetitive.

I havent experienced any negative things from Blizzard in regards to Warcraft/Starcraft (i never played Diablo).

Quote:
But with SC, you get like >20 awesome Terran campaigns. Ok, that's all nice etc. The expansion however WILL include alot major changes, like a completely "new" race to play with.
Yes and no, It will include major changes as in you will be playing with a different race but the core units will remain the same and you will more than likely of got to know zerg/protoss in the first game, weither its through the terran Singleplayer campaign introducing them, the single player challanges and of course multiplayer. However, the game will remain roughly the same.

Quote:
Also, what are the goals of such campaigns? To gradually get to know the race and all it's upgrades and end content. So over the course of e.g. 10 campaigns, they'll slowely give you more and more options until you see the full range of skills and structures of that race. That and the occasional "special" mission for fun factor.
The goal is to have a enjoyable and interesting storyline with varied missions. The only reason they gradually introduce a race and limit the tech in the start missions is due to the learning curve. You can achieve this within around 5 missions, if you remember that not every mission has to be just one task.. Take SC, the first mission introduced you to vultures/marines, your SCV's and barracks, now 10 years later.. Blizzard can make each mission longer and introduce you to the tech quicker.

Also, I will be highly surprised if there arnt alot of special missions. 26-29 missions is alot of normal missions and they didnt code there highly adaptable engine for nothing

Quote:
Now, Only Terran campaign is available to play with. Yet all 3 races can be played with in multiplayer. Hence you'll get to experience all endgame content of Protoss and Zerg aswell, while the campaigns for it are not released yet.
but with the expansions, the end game may change and even so, it will only be 4-5 missions where they will be limiting your tech and thats usually when they're also setting the storyline as well, so you dont want or need the full tech tree then.