User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 1 May 2009, 14:24   #51
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold
Re: Planetarion redesign update

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueemu View Post
Hi everyone

Sorry for the lack of updates been a bit pre occupied.

just posted the latest version. plndesign.blogspot.com

that looks pretty goddamn sexy

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 May 2009, 14:30   #52
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

That recent update rocks. Even though the logo still disturbs me, I do agree that it fits in nicely (for the time being at least).
Unread 1 May 2009, 14:32   #53
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I like.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 May 2009, 14:38   #54
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

I really like it, except that the blog is called Planetrion redesign!
Agree again with Sleepless, the logo isn't exactly the best part of the page.
Unread 1 May 2009, 14:41   #55
[JungleMuffin]
Apple Hunt Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about

Just a question with the textures on the battle cruiser.

Would it be pretty much as is with the street crime image, or a little more gritty (star wars IV-VI ish) /polished (star wars I-III ish), depending on which way you chose to go?
^^^^ Can you blv that sh*t?
[JungleMuffin] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 May 2009, 14:43   #56
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Certainly looks better.

My only real concerns are over the fonts and readability of them, though I assume those are just very quick bits of sample text.

Just make sure whoever gets to put this into HTML/CSS actually has the skill to do it well. Your first design seemed to change quite a bit from what ended up on the site.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2009, 01:58   #57
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

I like the brand new design, it has the feel of PA, the layout and ergonomy are clearer than what we were used to. Just make sure in the Sign UP section (or on the Sign Up button) to include that it's free.
Unread 2 May 2009, 06:22   #58
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

Looks awesome, the update! You are definately on the right track blueemo!
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2009, 06:30   #59
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

That new design looks awesome, I pasted the link into xVx (a Planetarion alliance) channel and they all seemed to like it as well. So you're definatly on the right track.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2009, 11:41   #60
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Hi everyone

Sorry for the lack of updates been a bit pre occupied.

just posted the latest version. plndesign.blogspot.com

Firstly Id like to thank Tandy for the amazing 3d artwork and everyone else who sent me stuff.

The current design is going really well and were hoping to launch this newer version soon.

I've decided to keep the logo as is for now as I'm quite happy with how it works with the current design.

Hopefully ill get some time for the main game soon as layout and especilly text colour were a big issue. Once that gets going there will be an oportunity to create lots of graphics for ships/factories etc.

i like it very much

however i feel the information stored on the portal (like what is pa) needs to be heavily overdone, some screenshots should get added etc

dunno if your responsible for that part or not, but its the next thing i would do if i was the owner of PA

wall of text will just scare ppl away

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2009, 12:33   #61
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post
i like it very much

however i feel the information stored on the portal (like what is pa) needs to be heavily overdone, some screenshots should get added etc

dunno if your responsible for that part or not, but its the next thing i would do if i was the owner of PA

wall of text will just scare ppl away
I think he's in charge of design not content text is probably just filling a placeholder

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
Unread 5 May 2009, 15:47   #62
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Definatly a step in the right direction
Nice work Blueemu.

But i would recommend a new logo though, you're right that it fits nice on the page but surely there's got to be something better to put there that will also fit

looking forward to next update!

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2009, 00:11   #63
Zeke

Zeke is on a distinguished road

Looks awesome. Please have a look at that game as well: http://ogame.de/

I dont like the game mechanism as much as Planetarion, but in things like graphics design and such it is way ahead of PA! Really Pa needs more visual things, text based only game will die and only a very small hardcore will stay..
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2009, 00:21   #64
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

I have a problem with the fact ogame website oversells it self, its just a browser game, but the website portrays it self to be much more.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2009, 10:14   #65
Zeke

Well it has a massive amount of players, and that's in fact a lot of fun to play with. Imagine Planetarion with a 50k playerbase. That would be some awesome alliance fights
And its free of charge, u just can pay for some bonus like in pa..
And the shipdesigns are awesome..
Btw Lobster, when will we have the Planetarion round 5 design ingame?
Unread 6 May 2009, 12:04   #66
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Well it has a massive amount of players, and that's in fact a lot of fun to play with. Imagine Planetarion with a 50k playerbase. That would be some awesome alliance fights
And its free of charge, u just can pay for some bonus like in pa..
And the shipdesigns are awesome..
Btw Lobster, when will we have the Planetarion round 5 design ingame?
I just sent Cin the round 3 files, so hopefully that gets put in.

I'll be redoing the round 5 one today to match the current changes the pages html (tabs etc).

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 6 May 2009, 18:48   #67
Zeke

Yeehaw \o/ thanks!!
Unread 7 May 2009, 15:11   #68
blueemu

blueemu has a spectacular aura aboutblueemu has a spectacular aura about

Hi everyone thanks for the great response to the new design.

Pete is away at the moment but im still working on a design which I hope to get ready before he gets back.

I know the current design is a lot more commercial but for the site to keep going we need to bring in new users. Planetarion has a lot of potential and Fubra wants the game to grow and become much bigger without changing the concept of the game.

We are trying to make planetarion a slightly more appealing game to new users, at the moment its very confusing for new users and I'd like to figure out a way to lure them in without throwing them in at the deep end.

I've suggested that the sign up has to be changed drasticly, the capture is one of the most annoying things I've ever some across (I went to art school so maths is my mortal enemy).
If anyone has any ideas for streamling the experience for new users that would be great.

I've also just had a look at Mr Lobsters new planetarion classic blog is love to work with him to get the site looking as good as possible.

anyway thanks for your suggestions and I hope to show you more soon.
blueemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 2009, 17:36   #69
blueemu

blueemu has a spectacular aura aboutblueemu has a spectacular aura about

Brief update

I'm currently working my way through all the pages tidying them up and adding graphics here abnd there.

Much happier with the new logo, trying to come up with a simple icon that is easily recognisble.

I need icons for all the different ships in the game so if anyone has anything I could use that would be awesome.

Anyway proper update next week and I hoppe you like.
Http://plndesign.blogspot.com/2009/0...ge-design.html

Last edited by Appocomaster; 14 May 2009 at 20:48.
blueemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 2009, 17:45   #70
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

nice..looks really good, huge improvement

Unread 14 May 2009, 18:07   #71
Tommy
Sain†s

Tommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud of

Holy shit guys, you're actually making it look.. good.
Unread 14 May 2009, 19:03   #72
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Brief update

I'm currently working my way through all the pages tidying them up and adding graphics here abnd there.

Much happier with the new logo, trying to come up with a simple icon that is easily recognisble.

I need icons for all the different ships in the game so if anyone has anything I could use that would be awesome.

Anyway p[oper update next week and I hoppe you like.
plndesign.blogspot.com/2009/05/site-with-new-logo-and-page-design.html
nice work blueemu!
you took alot of crap for your first design, but i am sure you'll get lots of thanks for the new and improved one!

Edit: don't know if you should bother making icons for every ship btw considering shipstats change every round sometimes changing a ship from class or race ...
If however shipstats won't change so much in the future then go for it !

ps: it's awesome that for the first time in 20'ish rounds we have owners that are actually want to improve the game and not just leave pa-team to do everything themself

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]

Last edited by Veedeejem!; 14 May 2009 at 19:08.
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 2009, 19:28   #73
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I veyr much like the new look, my only concern is how easy it will be to impliment the in game changes.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 2009, 19:34   #74
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Man, this is something of the best suggestions I've ever seen in graphics PA wise. If that doesnt sell PA, nothing does!

Thanks a lot for all your time and effort blueemu, and if I ever meet you in RL, drinks are on me!
Unread 14 May 2009, 19:45   #75
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem! View Post
Edit: don't know if you should bother making icons for every ship btw considering shipstats change every round sometimes changing a ship from class or race ...
If however shipstats won't change so much in the future then go for it !
You would just create 5-6 different ships for each class (for each race), so you would always have a picture for every ship, regardless of how the stats change.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 2009, 21:25   #76
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

sexy

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2009, 00:39   #77
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Where would the intro page be shown? After you login, instead of the overview?

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 15 May 2009, 02:16   #78
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

The pages look good. I think you're at a stage where you can think of simplifying the design a bit:
- transparency in the right menu doesn't bring anything
- background image on the intro page only makes the text less easy to read
- messages and alerts are overdone

All the design around the main section is great, the section for the central content should give priority to clarity of information, not by making each info more proeminent than the other (like an arms race, coz all the element will clash with each other) but by making the layout much more simple, it will also enhance the design around it. Simplicity requires more work than pilling up graphic effects.

The logo is a major improvement I like the font (especially the 'R'), the name alone could be the logo, the icon looks like what we find on some watches, I'm not a fan... imho Mr Lobster logo is still better but I'm not sure how it would fit in this design, worth a try I believe. We all want the best for the game, suceptibility should be put aside.
A trick I always use to check if a logo is good, is doing a pure black and white (no greyscale) version and see how it looks.

Finally, why using 2 differents font for the titles and the horizontal menu ? KISS, 1 font for the logo, 1 font for the main titles (image text), 1 font for the normal html text.

Last edited by Makhil; 15 May 2009 at 02:59.
Makhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2009, 15:59   #79
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

The layout looks fantastic.
I'm quite interested to see how the alert thing works though - do those "alert" messages disappear once you've read them or do they stay there?

Also in regards to what Makhill said about images on the intro page - I think it looks a lot better with the image there than it would without it.
Unread 17 May 2009, 03:37   #80
Makhil

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_ View Post
Also in regards to what Makhill said about images on the intro page - I think it looks a lot better with the image there than it would without it.
It's possible to please both of us by making sure no text comes over the picture...