User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 16 Mar 2009, 14:34   #1
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of
Finance center diminishing returns

A lovely simple formula to get diminishing returns on the next finance center you build, so you can remove the 60 cap limit, but still have the problem resolved about too many FC being used.

( Input * Cap ) / ( Input + Cap )

Input - Total % extra you would get normally, e.g. Input = 40 FC * 0.5% = 20%

Cap - The maximum you want the Input to give diminishing returns.

So a few examples.

Example 1:

20 FC = 10% (current)
50% max (cap)

(10 * 50) / (10 + 50)
(500 / 60)
= 8.3% New Total Bonus

So what was once 20FC giving 10% bonus, now gives 8.3% bonus.

Example 2:

So lets try 60FC

60 FC = 30%
50% max (cap)

(30 * 50) / (30 + 50)
(1500 / 80)
= 18.75% New Total Bonus

So what was once 60FC giving 30% bonus, now gives 15% bonus.

So now every new FC gives less bonus than the previous one.

A quick look at varying amounts of FC's based on the dimi formula

10FC = 4.5% Bonus
20FC = 8.3% Bonus
30FC = 11.5% Bonus
40FC = 14.2% Bonus
50FC = 11.6% Bonus
60FC = 18.7% Bonus
70FC = 20.5% Bonus
80FC = 22.2% Bonus
90FC = 23.6% Bonus
100FC = 25% Bonus

So at 100FC currently you would get 50% bonus, but with dimi you get 25%.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2009, 15:47   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Finance center diminishing returns

Why?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2009, 16:24   #3
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

FCs already have a diminishing return, namely the more you build the more expensive they are to pay off. I don't think this actually adds anything, and it makes the marginal utility of building an FC even less then it already is. Plus most grievous of all it violates the KISS rule. So I think the current solution is fine, no need to make things more complicated.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2009, 16:33   #4
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

I only suggested it because I dont like artificial caps on anything.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 17 Mar 2009, 03:16   #5
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
Maybe you should put the effort into trying to get artificial caps on things where they are genuinely silly removed (OMG ALLIANCE LIMIT SHOULD BE 20!!!1ONE)
Unread 17 Mar 2009, 12:54   #6
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

tbh the alliance limits are one place the cap has to be (to my own dispair), without it you will have only at most 3 alliances, and that would be boring for the game.

I think having 30-50 man alliances would be ok.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 17 Mar 2009, 13:46   #7
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Alliances with too many members will just crumble due to lack of organisation, it's pretty simple. Why does there have to be a restriction on how many of my friends I'm allowed to play with?
Unread 17 Mar 2009, 13:56   #8
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Because you will get an infux of all the Good/Active players going to the top alliances, and its happened this round, you only get 3-4 top alliances, the rest are just cattle.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 17 Mar 2009, 18:04   #9
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

We've not had 4 top alliances in a long time. Using this round as evidence of the shortcomings of high tag limits is laughable and I will not dignify it with further response.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2009, 20:26   #10
_Kila_
break it down!

When have we ever had more than 4 alliances competing for the win like this since alliances have been hard coded into the game? The best I can think of are rounds like 14 where 1up's opponents all folded in 2 weeks and 16 where, despite the small alliance limits and so many "awesome alliances competing for the win", 1up and ND were the only ones really fighting for it before Ascendancy tagged up.
More alliances just means there are more incompetent people running them and dying (:angels: )
Unread 18 Mar 2009, 16:03   #11
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Ok enough alliance talk in a non-alliance thread.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 18 Mar 2009, 20:07   #12
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Finance center diminishing returns

Quote:
Your new formula still has an artificial cap (called 'Cap' interestingly enough). What's the difference between an artificial cap of, say, 50% bonus and an artificial cap of, say, 60 FC? Why does one need to be eliminated and not the other?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2009, 20:06   #13
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus View Post
Your new formula still has an artificial cap (called 'Cap' interestingly enough). What's the difference between an artificial cap of, say, 50% bonus and an artificial cap of, say, 60 FC? Why does one need to be eliminated and not the other?
The cap really isnt a cap, because all you're gettnig is smaller and smaller returns, but I dont think it will ever reach 0 (apart from rounding off some where).

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 21 Mar 2009, 23:18   #14
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Finance center diminishing returns

Quote:
The cap really isnt a cap, because all you're gettnig is smaller and smaller returns, but I dont think it will ever reach 0 (apart from rounding off some where).
It is a cap, your formula just approaches it asymptotically. The incremental bonus will eventually go to zero (how quickly depends on the precision of your arithmetic).

I don't want to belabor the definition; I was just responding to your stated dislike of 'artificial caps.' It appears that your objection is more with the shape of the curve than with the fact that there's a limit or cap per se (artificial or otherwise). Fair enough, I guess.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2009, 05:12   #15
[JungleMuffin]
Apple Hunt Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about

Before u flame Mr Lobster, u should know your role jabroni. Feel blessed that he shares his insights with you all. He is right, you are wrong.
^^^^ Can you blv that sh*t?
[JungleMuffin] is offline   Reply With Quote