User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 3 Oct 2005, 23:34   #1
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
External DVD Writers

Anyone got one?
I'm looking for a recommendation.
I was hoping I'd get one for around 70 of your british pounds.
Darn.
Hmm.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2005, 00:31   #2
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: External DVD Writers

Actually, I want an external hard disk as well.
Having all my personal data on an external drive, which is backed up on DVD, leaving the PC/laptop to just deal with the OS would be lovely. lovely.
Unread 4 Oct 2005, 08:40   #3
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Lacie do a big disk.

It's actually called a big disk.

I believe they do a 1Tb model for a few hundred quid.

All your eggs* in one basket...

*are belong to us...
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2005, 11:31   #4
Weeks
Banned

http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.h...SDK&familyid=0

Cheers, that looks good.
Unread 4 Oct 2005, 13:15   #5
Weeks
Banned

Actually skiddy, do you know of any external hdds that have multiple usb interfaces? I want to connect it to multiple computers at the same time.
Unread 4 Oct 2005, 13:30   #6
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Get a network storage device in that case.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 4 Oct 2005, 15:56   #7
Weeks
Banned

Couldn't I just use a usb hub/switch?
Unread 4 Oct 2005, 21:18   #8
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

no, usb is a serial interface and is only designed for direct 1 to 1 connections. a usb hub only extends the number of available ports on your computer.

as for drives with multiple interfaces, I've not seen any other than ones that might have dual usb & firewire.

why the heck do you want to do this anyway?
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 00:27   #9
Weeks
Banned

I have two laptops.
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 15:43   #10
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

You can't link one drive to multiple machines as OS's uses volume locking. Only way you can do it is have a central machine (server) which does the volume locking and then share it over a network; unless you want to drift into the world of SAN and use software on the two machines to overrule the OS and use file locking instead of volume locking.

We've a client who wants to do the same using OSX Server, three xServe's and a 2.5Tb xServe RAID. He needs xSAN to do this as it will allow file locking instead of volume locking. All to do with inodes or something.

Either that or you could run 2000/2003 Advanced Server / Enterprise on each machine and set up clustering for shared disk access. I'm somewhat sure this still needs a SAN system or NAS system.
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 15:51   #11
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

the network area storage solution nb3 pointed out would be easiest imo. Plug the thing into a network, wired or otherwise and go.
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 15:58   #12
Weeks
Banned

With the network disc would it just be a case of:

The disc sits over there, with the data on, and my laptops just connect to it via network cables?
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 16:23   #13
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

pretty much, or through wireless if the disk is plugged into a wireless router.
As far as i understand it,it appears like a network share.
although ive never had one so cant be 100% on that
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 16:42   #14
skiddy
wild one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
pretty much, or through wireless if the disk is plugged into a wireless router.
As far as i understand it,it appears like a network share.
although ive never had one so cant be 100% on that
Yeah you're right, you just connect to them over SMB or AFP or whatever protocol suits the system you're running. The decent ones tend to support NFS, SMB and AFP. Low end ones just support SMB while high end ones can be accessed through FTP, web browsers etc.

But yeah, plug it in, find it's IP address (which is usually static otherwise they have a habit of dickappearing!) and then connect with a Start -> Run -> \\x.x.x.x or smb://x.x.x.x or afp://x.x.x.x or ftp://x.x.x.x or... you get the idea.
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 20:40   #15
Weeks
Banned

Hmm. As I've never played with network shares, I'm wondering how fast, secure and easy to use (as easy as just access a drive partition?) it'd be.
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 21:06   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You sound like someone who wants to buy a new tower, but instead you're talking about buying all the components seperately and using external ones!
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote