Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 29 Aug 2003, 01:27   #1
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

J-Kama-Ka-C is on a distinguished road
Halo: Combat Evolved

"Cortana, all I need to know is, did we lose them?"

"I think we both know the answer to that."

A bulky looking starship slowly approaches the gas giant Threshold. It's name printed in large letters above the bridge observation window to the lower front of the vessel, 'The Pillar of Autumn'.

<Captain> We made a blind jump... how did they-
<Cortana> Get here first? The Covenant ships have always been faster. As for tracking us all the way from Reach, at light speed my maneuvering options were limited.
<Captain> We were running dark, yes?
<Cortana> Until we decellerated. No one could have missed the hole we tore in subspace.
<Cortana> They were waiting for us on the far side of the planet.
<Captain> So, where do we stand?
<Cortana> Our fighters are mopping up the last of their Recon picket now, nothing serious. But, I've isolated approach signatures from multiple CCS-class battlegroups. Make it three capital ships per group. And in about ninety seconds they'll be all over us.
<Captain> Well, that's it then. Bring the ship back up to Combat Alert Alpha. I want everyone at their station.
<Cortana> Everyone sir?
<Captain> Everyone... And Cortana,
<Cortana> Hmm?
<Captain> Let's give our old friends a warm welcome.
<Cortana> I've already begun.

Yes, I'm aware it's been done before (twice?), but never the less I plan to do some DMing, so here we go again.
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 01:28   #2
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

"Attention all combat personnel. Please report to your action stations. Fifth Platoon, secure airlocks on Deck Eleven. Fourteenth Platoon, rendezvous with 22nd Tactical at Bulkhead Charlie 14."

Cue interoir of a very large hanger, several transports ease their way out of dock, hovering around the ceiling shifting men from one end of the ship to another. The lower backs shelf numerous large tanks, huge turreted warmachines ready to be activated. The place is buzzing with Soldiers and Technicans.

<Loudspeaker> This is not a drill. I repeat, this is not a drill.

A jeep pulls into one of many the sidings, marines filter in through a door as the Sergeant steps from the vehicle.

<Sergeant Johnson> You heard the lady, move like you got a purpose.

This is where you come in, only a few minutes out of cryosleep, freshly suited in crisp uniforms, you fall in line and assemble for briefing.

<Sergeant> Men, we led those dumb bugs out to the middle of nowhere to keep 'em from gettin' their filthy claws on Earth. But, we stumbled onto somethin' they're so hot for, that they're scramblin' over each other to get it. Well, I don't care if it's God's own personal anti-s-o-b machine, or a giant hoola hoop, we're not gonna let 'em have it! What we will let 'em have is a belly full of lead, and a pool of their own blood to drown in! Am I right, Marines?
<All> Sir, yes Sir!
<Sergeant> Mmmhmm. Damn right I am. Now move it out! Double time!
<Loudspeaker> Attention all personnel. We are re-engaging the enemy. External and internal contacts imminent.
<Sergeant> All you greenhorns who wanted to see Covenant up close...this is gonna be your lucky day.

You are marched out of the siding through the hanger toward the nearest weapons depo for suit up. For the moment you will all be equipped with a standard armoured vest, helmet and Assault Rifle.

MA5B Assault Rifle: This rifle is gas-operated and magazine-fed. It fires 7.92mm armor-piercing rounds. Rate of fire is limited by a soldier's ability to aim, fire and change magazines. Short, controlled bursts are more accurate than fully automatic fire. The MA5B's integrated computer disaplys the rounds left in the magazine and the relative direction of the gas giant, Threshold, for a point of reference.

You are all private ranked marines of the UNSC, I will cover the actions of any sergeants and the many NPC marines you come across, as well as supplying a little background information for those unfamilar with the game. All I need now is a intro post in the locker/armoury, before we can get down to the alien killing, you may divide yourself in teams if necessary, they'll be some splitting up as numbers require.

<Loudspeaker> Fire teams: sensors show inbound Covenant boarding craft. Stand by to repel boarders.
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 12:18   #3
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

WST is on a distinguished road
Callsign: WST
Description: The timid WST joined the army out of peer pressure from his friends more than a desire to help. His fear of anything even slightly menacing has earner him a reputation, and in drills, he is often disregarded at the back of the pack. This said, he has a strong sense of friendship, and would put the life of one he valued over any fear.

WST checked again his armoured vest, making sure that there were no obvious open points, sweat running down his forehead as his mind raced through all the procedures he'd been taught, as well as simultaneously imagining worst case scenarios. Complaining about the shoddiness of the equipment that he had ("wouldn't protect an chicken from a sodding fox") made him feel no better, but he did it regardless, passing the buck for what he already considered his approaching death. Around him, his companions eyed him nervously as they prepared. They liked him, but in this case, he was little but a burden.
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 14:55   #4
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Crazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to behold
*Private Dexter Grif adjusted his armoued vest. It was always an uncomforable fit. Couldn't they ever make one that actually fitted the body properly? Grif sighed, and pulled an Assault Rifle out of the locker, slammed a clip into it and cocked it. The computerised display showed up "60", showing the clip was full. Grif then grabbed some more clips, as many as he could carry, and slipped on his helmet and strapped it up. He stood, waiting around, as his mate Simmons struggled into his armour aswell. This was going to be one hell of a day. Those stupid Covenant. They were very inconsiderate*

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Ghetto Master Ellis says:
Heil Crazy!
Crazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 15:10   #5
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold
Tex ( ) muttered and cursed beneath her breath as she strapped on the armour, put on her helmet and jammed a clip into her rifle. Lookin' around too, she saw she was probably stuck with all males.

Great.

Just bloody great.

The loudspeaker probably kept blurting out its annoying messages, reminding Tex again and again how she wasn't on some planet, in some canyon called 'The Bloodgulch', but actually fighting those aliens.

(softly spoken) "...know I should've choosen to be a merc...."
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 18:54   #6
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

AcidK has a spectacular aura aboutAcidK has a spectacular aura about
Just another day of kicking ass!

*Cid shouted over noise of weapons being loaded. Cid wasn't known for his wit nor his humour, but he knew how to keep the mood in swing. He checked his rifle and his armour, pulling out the empty magazine and loading a full one, making sure safety was on so as not to shoot his own people. Cid was not really a decent shot nor was he perfect at them, but he liked the action and was a damned good driver.*
Demand to see life's manager.
Make life rue the day it thought it could give me lemons.
Do you know who I am?
I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down!
With the lemons.
I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!
AcidK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 19:45   #7
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

The squad leader, already decked out in armour, padding and brandishing his own assault rifle like he's could beat blood from a stone.

"Well hello, dirtbags... and a fine hello to you madam. News is in soldiers, the Covanent followed us and we don't know if anyone else made it off Reach, but we sure as hell aint gonna let those split-chin squid-headed alien-scum get their hands on this ship! Your orders are secure all external hatches and protect the bridge, for as long as it takes to find away out of this."

Reach: A keystone of humanity's colonization efforts is the planet Reach, an interstellar naval yard that builds colony ships for civilians and warships for the UNSC's armed forces. Conveniently close to Earth, Reach is also a hub of scientific and military activity.

The sarge marches towards the opposite corridoor, unlatching the rifles safety and flicking down the HUD on his helmet, it's a small green-hued lense held over your right eye which can display various information.

"Auxilary passages are already being locked down, blast doors can be secured by the usual procedure, we must contain boarding raids at all costs, get going!"

You're free to come up with a name for your group of marines, "Fire Team: Whatever", and are going to be split into first and second squads, I'm opening up two routes, whichever you follow is up to you, and basically decides which half of the team you're in, this is not set in stone and you can form different groups as we progress.

"First squad with me, catch the main route on the main ventral passage, second squad, you're to rondezvous with Fire Team Sierra and hold the first line outside the bridge, cover our backs until fresh orders are in."
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 11:49   #8
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

I'm with you, Sarge!

*Cid looks at the main route and begins to head down there as the recon for the first stretch.*
Do you know who I am?
With the lemons.
I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 11:50   #9
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

WST looks around somewhat lost. Knowing that neither group would want him, he calls out timidly

"Where should i go?"
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 12:43   #10
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold
Looking at Cid being overly enthousiastic as usual, Tex feels the sudden urge to spit on the ground and call him names like a real Texas girl ought to do - but hey, the funky mask prevents her from doing the first part, which on its part makes the second half less fun.

Instead, she looks the other way and gets going.
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 14:02   #11
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

Quote:
Sarge
Private. Cid
Private. Grif
Private. Simmons
Private. Donut
Private. Mendoza

2nd Squad
Private. Tex
Private. WST
Private. Chipps
Private. Jenkins
Private. Tyler
The Sergeant and first squad are already disappearing down the large section of coridoors that network vast areas of the ship, wide enough to support two lanes of traffic should that situation ever arrise, and sealable every 50 metres with the electronic blast doors.

-----

As you run down the ventral section of ths ship towards the bridge, you can see much of the preparation is already done, defence perimetres are still secured and battlements are in place from the last battle, repelling the Reach invaders.

Not much further along you sight an area where the lights have already been blown out, weapons fire echoes just ahead and technicans come run towards you

<Tech1> Th~th~they're right behind us!
<Sarge> Secure that blast door!

The shutters begin closing, one rising from the floor, the other from the top, one unfortunate Technician is still racing towards them as it begins

<Tech3> Wait for m-

Blue flames errupt across his back and he's rocketed against the wall, probably a grenade. The first shield clicks into place, an alien roar echoes the hallway and you can catch the glimmer of eyes in the darkness through the reinforced glass. Moments later the second shield slots in, a thick bulkhead totally blocks this side of the coridoor.

<Sarge> Alright, lets find a way around

The side passages are narrower, but by no means tight, you find yourselves running along in the room parrallel to where the aliens must have been. It's darker here, but it'll meet up with another main route shortly.

-----

<Chipps> Alright lads, the rest of you are with me, guess that means you mate

Private Chipps looks at WST as he waves the rest of the squad down the left hand passage.

The side passages are narrower, but by no means tight, you find yourselves running along in the room heading towards the lower passages. It's darker here, but it'll meet up with another main route shortly. Human voices, gunfire, and a sickly familar roaring is heard round the next bend

<Marine> You, keep your head down and gives us a hand! We're down to just three men here, and the Covanent are closing from the right

<Jenkins> Second Squad! Take cover, hold them off. Volunteers step up, two of you are with me, take the passage before we're penned down.

Support beams and a steel barricade are in place for cover, green and blue steaks of fire are assaulting your position. The alien position is just becoming visible.
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 14:06   #12
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Flicking the safety switch off, Tex steps forward as the need for volunteers arrises. Having discovered she indeed has no mask, she spits to make up for a post ago... But leaving the swearing behind for now. Looking at Jenkins, she nods.

"...kill all..."
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 15:37   #13
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

WST took a small step backwards as the call for volunteers was made, this was not his area. His hand was red from gripping his assault rifle too hard, and he had dropped one of his grenades, meaning that he now had only 3, luckily, the pin stayed in.
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 16:01   #14
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

Chipps and Tyler lay down the covering fire, while Jenkins ducks through to the passage on the right, he braces himself against the wall and waves you follow, leaning out into the coridoor and unloads several short bursts in the direction of the alien gunplay.

<Jenkins> Hey, watch yourselves, hurry

Both of you leap to the coridoor and proceed down the passage. Lit vaguely by the battle lighting, the kaxons still sounding on repeat. Round the corner you then sight a tall, blue, growling and very angry looking Covanent Elite.

Elite: There are a few varieties of the Elite, but all are roughly 8'6" tall and incredibly strong. Their strength allows them to rely on brute force when necessary, but they're quite capable of brilliant battlefield tactics as well. Their natural resilience is augmented with full-body energy shielding which recharges when depleted. They can wield many forms of plasma based weaponary.

The hatch just beside him opens, startling him slightly, it appears he was trying to sneak around the same way as you. He turns to face the door, crouching into an attacking position he rears his head and growls threateningly at the hatch.

Jenkins is already reaching for his rifle and begins to charge the alien.
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 16:15   #15
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

WST runs after his teammates, his fear of what might become of him if he follows is nothing in comparison to his fear of what is behind them, and so he clasps his gun and heads on, knowing that he has the power to kill, he just has to keep his head. He rounds the corner and sees where Jenkins is attacking the elite. Recoiling in terror at first sighting, WST remembers his sighted pistol, and, making sure that the elite is far enough away not to pose an immediate threat, fires of a few rounds at the blue monster.
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 00:29   #16
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Tex follows as well, trying her best not to be seen and if seen anyways, not to get shot. While doing so, she tries to pop a few shots at the Elite's torso and head - popping them, of course, when there aren't any friendlies in the way.

Oh no, killing one of her own team, kind, species or whatever else is appropiate to describe the other, similar looking people around would simply tear her little, sensitive and female heart apart.

Unread 31 Aug 2003, 01:21   #17
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

Gunfire echoes from behind, Chipps and Tyler seemed to have the situation coming under control back there, so you both quickly take to covering Jenkins rear and flanks in this highly deadly narrow passage. The elite, now faced with your on coming assaults, gives up his challenge on the arrival at the hatch and turns back in your direction. Rising himself to full height, he takes two setps backwards as your gunfire nicks and scrapes at his shielding.

Considering how unusually startled it appears, he makes hastey yet tactical retreat down the way he came, not wasting time to return fire as Jenkins and shortly Tex make a run towards the hatch.

The source of the aliens shock becomes quite evident, in the form of the hulking SPARTAN II, looming in at around 7-8' and decked out in a full Mjolnir battle suit with rechargable shielding. He is unarmed, but his cyborg enhancements mean he could easily beat you to death with your own skull, and known only to you by his rank of Master Chief.

<Jenkins> Chief, Cortana says, get to the bridge, double quick!

He quickly heads back down the corridoor, while you rush on to finish off the covanent here. Moments later you recognise the strong Australlian accent of Private. Tyler, from the main hallway.

<Tyler> Sir! The captain needs you on the bridge, ASAP! You better follow me.

Evidently they both take off to the objective, leaving you with one less man out there, better get a move on with the ambush. The covanent are dug in at the end of the passage, the opposite end of the hall from Chipps and the marines.

(Your secondary weapon which WST is already familar with.)
M6D Pistol: This pistol is a recoil-operated, magasine-fed handgun. It is issued with a smart-linked scope capable of 2x magnification. It fires 12.7mm semi-armour-piercing, high explosive rounds. It can shoot either semi-automatic or automatic fire.
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 11:29   #18
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

WST, amazed with himself for actually shooting the elite, reloads his pistol, a process which would usually be an easy process, but his hands were shaking uncontrollably. A shot of plasma near his face reminds him of the reality of the situation, and he manages to slide the ammo into his pistol. WST prefers the handgun, whilst it's rate of fire is lower than the Assault rifle, it deals out a lot more damage, especially in headshots.

Now crouched behind a blast door which had been blown out of the door and was now slanted resting on a box, forming a makeshift cover, WST looked around, making out bits of covenant forces hidden behind their cover. Sweat dripping down his forehead, and feeling very sick, he took a grenade with his left hand, switching his pistol to his right (yes, WST is left handed), and tossed it behind the barrage. As he waited for the 3 second fuse to burn out, he hid back behind his door, with only a tiny part of his head showing, waiting to see what he had hit.
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 15:11   #19
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Looking at mister Tough Guy running away from the battle with his tail between his legs, Tex mutters some unpleasantries and turns to look the other way again. Running after the charging Jenkins, Tex fires some random bursts at the enemie, not reall getting a chance to aim decently.

Damn.

Despite his running-away, that man looked hot.

Or at least his armour did...
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 15:29   #20
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

The frag rolls to a stop near where the Covanent are dug in, catching the lesser units unexpectedly as you can tell by the high pitched paniced screams as they contemplate their last few seconds. The group leaders, two of the more agile aliens, jump clear of the explosion. The elites survive unscathed, but are now in the open, as Chipps takes quickly advantage off.

Jenkins and soon Tex follows up, catching the pair in a cross fire, within seconds you can see their shields have been burnt off, leaving them vunerable to those deadly headshots when they rear their heads, before they charge off across the hallway towards Chipps, flashes of blue plasma streaking from their rifles.
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 15:40   #21
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

WST panicks as the elites start running in their direction, but, remembering that he managed to kill several grunts himself, manages to keep his cool. He pulls out his assault rifle, and clicks down on the trigger. Bullets fire in the general direction of the elites, but none seem to make contact as they charge.
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 16:02   #22
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Crazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to behold
*Grif runs along the corridor, following after the Sarge and with Simmons next to him. He made ready his rifle as they continued up along the corridor and prepared to move into the area where the covenant had overrun*

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 18:19   #23
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

The coridoor branches back into the main hall, the bridge isn't much further now. In the opposite direction you can see covanent pouring in from side hallways, they're storming through this section of the ship. To your rear startled looking crewmen load pistols and begin drawing beads on the advancing aliens.

A hatch on your left flips open, a small band of the 'shorter' looking covanent are moving out

<Grunt> H~Humans!

Skipping like they're almost surprised and limited by their tiny legs, the leads ones scramble out of the passage, bringing up their weapons and squealing to each other.

Grunt: Approximately 5' tall and relatively weak, Grunts tend to travel in packs and stick close to more powerful allies. Individually they are easy to defeat, but in groups they can overwhelm careless marines. Their armour seems to house some sort of life-support mechanism. They are known to use a variety of plasma weapons.

-----

Chipps and the marines at that end make a run from behind the breach as the elites run towards you. As the covanent close it becomes harder to miss such large target. Jenkins is down on one knee, couching with his rifle as the first elite suddenly looms right on top of him, with it's shields out, Jenkins fills the beasts belly with lead at close range as it attempts to bash him a new cranial sky light. Roaring it's last breath the creature collapses backwards. His partner falling soon after as the rest of you take him on.

Taking a final check of the area, looks like its safe to move on and join Tyler at the bridge.

Looks like he took a shortcut through the canteen.
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 21:09   #24
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

"Woah! Aliens!"

*Grif brought down his Assault Rifle to bear on the lead Grunt, flicking off the safty and squeezing the trigger. A small burst of fire erupted from the Rifle and spurted towards the Grunt. Grif then jumped sideways and brought his gun to bear on a second one, if there were any still up, and fired again*

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 23:08   #25
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

*Cid burst suddenly behind Grif, diving to one side as to not knock him down, flaring his rifle with unpractised aim, taking out the grunts that were left in the area, but also running his magazine low on ammo.*

Take that you overgrown ****roaches!
Do you know who I am?
With the lemons.
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 23:14   #26
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

Simmons struggling for a line of fire, follows suit, throwing half a clip into them from the side. Screams of pain errupt from Grunts in the front row, practically blown backwards, blue ooze spraying off in all directions. The ones at the back turn tail, shrieking and try to scamper off the way they came. Between the trio of assault rifles, none of them manage to escape. However, the rest of the Covanent further up the hall are now alerted to your activity now.

<Sarge> Keep moving, defence positions when we reach the bridge, keep it tight until we meet Fire Team Sierra

Blue and green plasma fire starts impacting on your positon.
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 23:22   #27
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

"Haha! Did you see that? I kick'd ass!"

*Grif, chuffed with blowing apart a couple of Grunts, ejects the magazine from his Assault Rifle and slams another one in. Just in time to see a load of plasam shoot past his head*

"Woah!"

*Grif ducks down, swings his rifle around to the new thread and shoots a couple of times. He then gets up, and starts forward, with the squad, heading to the bridge, while firing off at any targets that present themselves*

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 23:56   #28
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

Sarge and Private. Donut take position behind you, covering you as you head towards the bridge, allowing Simmons to duck under the several short bursts with the rifle into the oncoming clump of Covanent. Soon he takes over, letting them move on towards the bridge. Your team uses this leap frogging technique to quickly advance on the bridge while keeping the Covanent from gaining much ground.

Simmons is ready to let you take over when several of the green bolts hit home

<Simmons> Uhn. It burns, it burns!

The armoured vest took the brunt, the point of impact is charred black and he's visibly smoking, but will be fine.

The floor markings show you're nearing the bridge access. It's now Private Tyler shows up running in from the side passage just ahead. He's closely followed by the hulking SPARTAN II, known only to you by his rank of Master Chief. Looming in at around 7-8' and decked out in a full Mjolnir battle suit with rechargable shielding, currently unarmed, but that's nothing to stop him gutting any of you like a fish.
Unread 1 Sep 2003, 00:12   #29
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

"Master Chief Sir! Good to see ya!"

*Grif fires off a couple of rounds at a Grunt, that came into his sights, blowing a great hole in its head. He continued heading towards the bridge, waiting for when Sarge would tell them where to set up their defence line.*

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 1 Sep 2003, 00:41   #30
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

In the bridge of the Piller of Autumn

<Master Chief> Captain Keyes...
<Captain Keyes> Good to see you, Master Chief.
<Captain Keyes> Things aren't going well. Cortana did her best, but we never really had a chance.
<Cortana> A dozen Covenant superior battleships against a single Halcyon-class cruiser. Given those odds I'm content with three...make that four kills.
<Cortana> Sleep well?
<Master Chief> No thanks to your driving, yes.
<Cortana> So you did miss me.

The ship jolts from a very audible explosion.

<Captain Keyes> Report!
<Cortana> Must have been one of their boarding parties! I'd guess an anti-matter charge!
<Crewman #1> Ma'am! Fire control for the main cannon is offline!
<Cortana> Captain, the cannon was my last offensive option!
<Captain Keyes> Alright, that's enough. I'm initiating Cole Protocol Article 2. We're abandoning the Autumn. That means you too, Cortana.
<Cortana> While you do what, go down with the ship?
<Captain Keyes> In a manner of speaking. The object we found, I'm going to try and land the Autumn on it.
<Cortana> With all due respect Sir, this war has enough dead heroes.
<Captain Keyes> I appreciate your concern, Cortana, but it's not up to me. The Protocol is clear; Destruction or capture of a shipboard AI is absolutely unacceptable, and that's means you're leaving the ship.
<Captain Keyes> Lock in a selection of landing zones, upload them to my neural lace, and then sort yourself for a hard transfer.
<Cortana> Aye aye, Sir.
<Captain Keyes> Which is where you come in, Chief. Get Cortana off this ship. Keep her away from the enemy. If they capture her, they'll learn everything: force deployment, weapons research...Earth.
<Master Chief> I understand.
<Cortana> The Autumn will continue evasive maneuvers until you initiate a landing sequence.
<Cortana> Not that you'll listen, but I'd suggest letting my subroutines handle the final approach.
<Captain Keyes> Excellent work, Cortana. Thank you. Are you ready?
<Cortana> Yank me.

Keyes pulls Cortana's chip out of the holo display, and hands it to the Master Chief, who plugs it into a slot on the left side of his helmet

<Captain Keyes> Good luck Master Chief.
Unread 1 Sep 2003, 00:50   #31
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

The Master Chief returns to the scene outside the bridge. Sarge has you lined up defencively across the hallway. This area hasn't seen any action yet, debris and thus cover is minimal.

Fire Team Sierra have taken position further along, the Covanent approach is now immenant. Second squad are yet to appear so it looks to be a tough battle, just as you hear the Chief picking up an assault rifle, confidence takes a sudden boost.

<Sarge> New orders, we're getting off this ship. Secure the area and lets get going!
<Tyler> Go where sir?
<Sarge> We're being sent to the ring, all terrian combat.

The new wave of Covanent come in to sight. Dousens of Grunts and the few commanding Elites.
Unread 1 Sep 2003, 09:26   #32
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

WST stayed crouched behind his barrage, watching the others shoot the elites. As the footsteps of the approaching beast grew more audiable above the sound of gunfire, he decided that he could delay no longer, and threw himself up, his assault rifle blazing, his eyes full of terror and the ear-piercing scream that eminated from him startling all around him, a scream of fear more than anything else. The elite, disarmed by WST's suprise attack, fell to the ground, purple liquid pumping out of it's head. Adrenaline pumping through him, WST pulled at his but last grenade and threw it in the direction of the other elite, who had stopped to pick up his dead comrades plasma rifle. The explosion knocks WST of his feet, who, still suprised as his own audacity, lay on the ground blinking for several seconds. The remaining elite went to join his comrade in a pool of gunk on the ground, a few limbs short of what he had been a few seconds before.

[ooc] kama, can you distinguish between which squads you're narrating for pls, ty [/ooc]
Unread 1 Sep 2003, 11:07   #33
No Dachi

No Dachi is infamous around these parts
I'd like to join, do I create a new char or assume control of one of the NPC privates?
That Noble Sin; whilst Luxury
Emply'd a Million of the Poor,
And odious Pride a Million more.'

-The Grumbling Hive: or, Knaves Turn'd Honest, Bernard Mandeville
No Dachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Sep 2003, 14:03   #34
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

*Cid, staying silent most of the time, quickly turns to Sarge and raises his head in an attempt to say something. After a while he spoke:*

Sarge, if we can get to the transport hangers, I can easily launch and land the transports manually within ten minutes. But without covering fire during that we would be in open ground as well as easy targets.
Do you know who I am?
With the lemons.
Unread 1 Sep 2003, 14:20   #35
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Tex runs around and, yeah, bashes stuff and shoots aliens, being a bit confused about what's going on here. Bridge, elites, Cortana, landing? I thought I wasn't at the bridge?
Unread 1 Sep 2003, 18:16   #36
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

(If there's a designated first and second squad then I'll post first above. Cutscenes that aren't directly witnessed but important to the plot, are done in seperate posts. Will make more effort to distinguish the two.)

(People that have just tuned in are free jump in at any point, supplying name of private and general location relative to other groups.)

Outside the bridge (Grif/Cid). Between the two teams the Covanent approach is pushed back, the surviving bands are held down with short rounds of fire, until the blast doors seal off that area of the ship

<Sarge> Security is breached all over. This sector is being locked down to secure the bridge for emergency landing.
<Simmons> Getting to the hanger isn't going to be easy...
<Sarge> We'll make it, but all available dropships are preping to bring supplies down to the ring... we better hurry

The Master Chief will acompany you, his top priority is getting Cortana off the ship. He's already scouting an alternate route. The cafeteria isn't locked, what's more the north exit leads to the stairwell to the next level.

Outside cafeteria - west (WST/Tex). After the rash but rather effective strategy of blowing them all to hell, stunned more by your actions than the quick flight ending in a pile of rumble, Jenkins helps you to your feet then checks back on Chipps, who is reloading his rifle. Along with the three surviving marines you caught up with in this area, hereto still unnamed (Dachi, you can assume one of these guys).

This section secured you can move on and meet up with the rest of Fire Team <requires callsign>

Inside cafeteria (Where you are going/regrouping) The place more open than other rooms of the ship, bar hangers. Three columns of table/benches line the room, while numerous machines vending drinks and hot and cold ready meals. East door - First squad; West door - Second squad; North doors - Enter Covanent groups (Grunts/Elites)... oh dear
Unread 2 Sep 2003, 11:36   #37
No Dachi

Private Mathers stood in the Cruiser's Galley, gripping his MA5B so tightly that, had his knuckles not been covered up by his armour, they would surely be white. He'd done well enough in training but this was his first time in proper combat. Uneasily, the Private continued to watch the rows upon rows of tables as if they would suddenly leap up and sprout Covenant weaponry. All at once, he realises that it's silly to be worrying about Covenant troops attacking the Cafeteria. Not exactly a vital component of the Ship's defensive structure, after all.

Suddenly the North Doors sprang open, and Covenant troops began pouring in. This was the first time that Mathers had seen the aliens in the flesh, but he spared little thought for this trivial fact as he figured out a course of action most likely to result in his survival - and the exact opposite for as many Covenant goons as possible. He thinks fast. Putting both hands beneath the near edge of a table, No Dachi attempts to turn it on its side to form a makeshift barrier, hoping both that the table is not bolted down and that Covenant munitions aren't going to tear through it like bricks through tissue paper.

Unread 2 Sep 2003, 14:49   #38
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

*Cid turned to the stairs and headed in that direction.*

If this stairwell will lead downwards into an area not locked down we can easily escape tothe hangers and make a quick escape. It's the only chance we've got.
Do you know who I am?
With the lemons.
Unread 2 Sep 2003, 16:15   #39
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

*Grif loaded in a new clip into his Assault Rifle, as the empty one dropped to the floor. He looked at the end of the corridor, where the covenant attack had just been replused. The sight was horrific. Dead grunts littered the floor, along with some elites. Their blood was splattered nearly everywhere. Grif let out a sigh as the blast doors hissed shut ad waited for some more orders*

*Grif looked into the Cafeteria. The Covenent had just pressed a new attack. More Grunts. More Elites. More shooting fun. Grif dived into the cafeteria, and landed behind a pillar. He peeked out from behind it, spotted a grunt and fired a quick burst from his MA5B. The Grunt's head exploded. Grif quickly ducked back behind the pillar as the green blasts from more grunts shot past him and slammed into the pillar, which was holding for the moment*

"Hmm. Not good"

*Grif grabbed a frag grenade, pulled the pin and tossed in the general direction of the covenant forcers*

"Fire in the hole!"

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 2 Sep 2003, 17:09   #40
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

do i have 'nades?

About to order a drink to sooth her sore throat after all the delicious combat yelling and crying as she charged the Covenant moments before, Tex's fancy plans are rudely interrupted by the barging in of another group of alien warriors.

Not really amused by this fact, Tex hurries out of the line of fire, of both sides, and crouches behind a neatly placed, solid looking object, releasing the clip from its holding. While the old clip's still falling to the floor, Texi s already slamming a new one...

Soon there after, she stands up and runs from her current cover to a brandn new one, hopefully one with someone friendly near it, so she can use him, she or it as... well...

You know

Oh, yeah, she shoots at the big bad guys while running too. Just spraying them with... Bullets and evil taunts.
Unread 2 Sep 2003, 20:05   #41
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

The covanent take cover in a similar style, the Elites having the grunts rather out talled find it more difficult, and instead op'd for their usual battle stance, while the short comrades shelter behind the benches.

The tables themselves are heavy steel and finished in a dull military grey, although not bolted down they are fixed at the sides to the verticle pillers soldiering each table and lining the room. While they will be difficult to shift, they are above average in height so provide a modest cover when ducked.

Privates Cid and Tyler, who were ahead of the group when the Covanent burst in, are forced to take quick cover at one of the lead tables. Narrowly avoiding the initial charge of plasma fire they quite literally now have ring side seats as a party of Grunts are ducked behind the oppoiste side of their bench.

Dexter shouts his warning as the frag files to the back of the room, rebounding the wall and propelling several Grunts into the air seconds later

<Chipps> Hey nice throw

Private Chipps Dubbo falls in behind a table next to Grif and WST, peroidically returning fire on the Elites opposite. Sarge is more than holding his own at the table a row down, but is soon joined by Tex, no closer to quenching her thirst, nor explosive desires (no grenades for you yet).

Speaking of thirst, Priv.Donut is concealed behind the row of venching machines carefully reloading his weapon. Simmons rifle lies at his feet, one knee resting on the bench ahead, he's behind the rear table abusing the electronic zoom feature, of his pistol, displayed on the HUD. However he's doing an excellent job of covering Jenkins and Mendoza who seem to be having some trouble.

Once the Covanent are off their backs, both leap up on the assault again, Mendoza vaulting the table, pushing the Covanent back. They unload both of their clips in seconds, totally annilating an elite and several grunts.

<Mendoza> La Bamba!!!

Plasma and rifle fire ontinues to be exchanged.
Unread 2 Sep 2003, 21:00   #42
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

Die Satan's Vomit!!!

*Cid yelled as he dived from the cover of the table, a fit of rage overcoming his fear, and began to open fire upon the aliens that tok cover behind. His eyes were ablaze as he began to fire round after round until his magazine was empty, ducking back again as green and blue plasma began to spark all around him. Cid relaoded his weapon and took a sneak-peak. Concious of what was behind the now bullet-ridden corpses, he pulled out a grenade, yelled a warning an threw an even more unpracticed grenade.*
Do you know who I am?
With the lemons.
Unread 2 Sep 2003, 23:07   #43
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

209 2 8

WST Cowered behind his bench, everyone seemed to be doing well without him, and he'd be no use anyway, he'd already killed a few of the covenant, and the adrenaline from that was still pumping through him. As he watched the marines around him firing, and the plasma spilling overhead, a small yellow grunt waddled around the corner and looked at him. After about a second, it held up it's small alien weapon, and prepared to fire. Petrified, WST grabbed his pistol by the barrel and brought it down on the grunt's head. The small skull imploded sending purple goo everywhere, as the beast fell to the ground, very dead.

WST smiled to himself, his hand shaking violently.
Unread 3 Sep 2003, 01:04   #44
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

The sound of broken bone and the squishing noise of much alien ass being kicked is heard from the far side of the cafeteria. Master Chief is wasting no time either, an impressive pile of dead Covanent pave the ground he walks on, tossing asside another Grunt effortlessly he takes several direct hits before turning the sights of his rifle and dropping another one.

Cid's frag misbounces and lands off target, the covanent Elite is unphased but drawn from his cover behind the pillar.

The butt of WST's pistol crushing Grunt skull sends up a spray of liquid all over, fluid from the creatures life support system and blood soak the table top.

The Covanent are mercillessly accurate in the choas of the battle, blue plasma strikes the crown of Grif and Tyler's helmets (minor hit - armour weakened) reminding them how limited the cover is. Private. Donut is caught on the arm as he leans around the vending machine, he's forced to drop the rifle and duck back, he could use a hand.
Unread 3 Sep 2003, 15:25   #45
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Looking at the man drop his rifle, Tex mutters some more words underneath her breath - probably not too friendly worlds. Taking a quick look at the Covenant, she tries to guess which one is covering Donut's position with plasma.

Ducking down again, she uses her left hand to wield the rifle, pressing it close against her shoulder/arm/chest-y-ish and keeping a finger near the trigger, while drawing her pistol (at least, I assume I have one ofthose while everyone else has grenades ) with her right hand.

She smiles for a moment.

Then, she stands up and opens fire on the alien she picked out before, spraying the general area around ith with her rifle, while trying to pick off the specific Covenant with her pistol.

As soon as the clicks begin indicating her pistol's empty, she ducks down again though.
Unread 3 Sep 2003, 16:49   #46
No Dachi

Private Mathers tries but fails to lift the heavy table, and so slumps down with his back to the lower bench surface that flanks its length, too exhausted to be worried by the seething plasma rounds gradually erroding the heavy steel behind him. All at once, a bolt of panic siezes him, overriding the fatigure. I'm going to die, I'm going to die, I'm going to die, out here in the lifeless void... he gradually starts to draw in on himself more and more, pushing himself against the table for cover and praying to as many gods as he can name to spare his life. Suddenly, a massive explosion reverberates around the Cafeteria, courtesy of a frag grenade. The carcophony of white-hot shards of shrapnel bouncing off various steel surfaces, as well as the initial eardrum-rending boom itself, suddenly wake him from his mental recession. All at once, all emotion leaves his mind. He no longer fears death, he is no longer angry at the Covenant; he merely remembers his orders. Mathers nimbly rises from his pathetic curled-up huddle into a controlled, courching firing position and lowers his MA5B to his shoulder, looking for a target. With his new-found absolute focus and cleared mind, he spots one within seconds. An Elite turning to fire at some target over to Mathers' right, unaware of the Private's presence, and so angling his full-length energy shield toward his own target in anticipation of return fire. Mathers fires off three controlled, three round bursts at the Elite before looking for another target.

---

NB: Never actually played Halo, but the clips I've seen of alien thingies with energy shields had them as actual oval-shaped shields rather than a kind of dome over the body, and I've assumed that in the post. If it's wrong then feel free to have him blow my head off or something...

Unread 3 Sep 2003, 18:04   #47
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

(Yep, you all use the pistol, though no grenade refills until I introduce them properly )

Donut retrieves his rifle, quickly bringing it around on the aliens as he changes cover, advancing towards the doors. Most of the Covanent in the room lie splattered along the walls and floor, the remaining few fall back to to the stair well with more of their friends. Not without a quick parting gift however.

A small palm sized glowing/fizzling blue ball lands beside Tex's table

(The circular shield, that's actually shield like, is used by the Jackels, not introduced yet. Elite's have body shielding, body/armour hugging shape, only visible when taking fire.)

Between Private. Mathers and the spare shots of a couple other marines the Elite is dropped as it retreats, not without getting two clean shots to the marines chest plate, knocking him back, heating him up a little, but nothing fatal. Minor armour damage.
Unread 3 Sep 2003, 19:22   #48
No Dachi

Mathers' breath comes in short, quick gasps. His mind was calm, but his heart and lungs obviously weren't. The other Covenant troops looked to be retreating, but Mathers held his position crouched behind the cover of the steel table. A thought suddenly strikes him, and whilst in the period of relative quiet, he reloads his MA5B, keeping it aimed at the North Door and the stairwell beyond as he does so.

Unread 4 Sep 2003, 14:26   #49
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

"...blue....shiny..."

Looking at the blue ball next to her for a shoirt moment, Tex mutters the words above, and below.

"...BAD..."

After having said that last word, she quickly crawls a few metres/feet and then launches her self away, hopefully behind another piece of cover that'd hpefully protect her from the blast as well as the gunfire.

If she misses her 'dropzone' though, the obvious thing she does is keep crawling and hurrying to cover.

Becauser she's smart. And hot. And sexy. And nicely voiced.

She's the TEX!
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 21:00   #50
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

*Cid, keepingthe cover of the bench, lifts himself up every now and then to fire a burs of rounds into some aliens before ducking back for cover. After a while, though, too many bolts were bursting over him in order for him to get up without getting shot.*

I'm pinned down!
Do you know who I am?
With the lemons.