Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Nov 2003, 23:09   #1
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Inspectre is an unknown quantity at this point
Coming Soon . . .

Although this will probably not be ready for at least another month, work has begun on the uber-stats thread. I am currently in the process of designing the stats system used by each character/monster. After that will follow the classes, skills, etc.

However, I am not sure that all the stats are going to be balanced, therefore I require a bit of . . . testing . . . before moving on. Therefore, I require a few volunteers to create characters to use in combat and see if each stat is balanced against the others (no over-powered mages for you. :-p ). The system is not quite ready yet, but version 1.0 is nearing completion, so I decided to start sign-ups today.

For now, here's the list of stats I currently have decided to use . . . feel free to salivate away along with posting suggestions of stats to add.

Base Stats: (These you assign values to)

Attack
Defense
Speed
Magery
Vitality
Dexterity
Willpower

Derived Stats: (These I assign values to )

Weight Allowance
Move Range
Stamina
Guts
Evasion
Accuracy
Luck
Magic Evasion
Magic Defense
Magic Attack
Charisma

Non-combat Stats: (These, as the name suggests, are useful only outside of combat)
Alignment
Charisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
like you in your threads after about a week

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Inspectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 23:12   #2
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts
Re: Coming Soon . . .

i'll join

how about adding intellegence, it would be very usefull for people with magic to all be smart

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 02:09   #3
adam
The Oldbie Newbie

adam has a spectacular aura aboutadam has a spectacular aura about

no magic maybe? sounds kool ill join (spelt cool wrong purposely lets see reactions shall we?)

Wizards First Rule- People Are Stupid
Quoted by the first Wizard Zorrander

Defender of the RP forums against the GD invasion September the 19th 2003
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 03:12   #4
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

Ur_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the rough

Is there any RP'ing involved in testing? If not, I might have some time helping you out.
For testing (and perhaps also for playing) purposes I suggest you give a description of what each skill does and also what effect basic skills have on derived skills.
Might I suggest you change 'Magic Evasion' to 'Magic Resistance'? I think it looks slightly better.
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 05:17   #5
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

flapjack

While I originally considered intelligence as a stat, I decided against including it due to the fact that either too many RPers would divert valuable points into intelligence, or b*tch about having to play a "stupid" character. Therefore, Magery was used instead - Magery = knowledge of magic.

adam

magic is an important part of the thread, giving it is somewhat loosely based on Final Fantasy Tactics. :-p

Ur_Quan

For the most part, the testing shouldn't require much more RPing than "I hit the thief in front of me". In the actual thread, however, it would be nice if you took a few minutes to write up a nice, detailed RP post.

I could indeed give a list of what each stat does, although some of the stats I havn't quite figured out a good formula for them (yet). This, of course, is why I need to test each of the stats, to see what sort of values would work nicely. Magic Resistance is a very good idea, actually.

Magic Evasion has been removed, and in its place, Magic Resistance has been added. Magic Deflection has also been added, in order to balance out the physical & magical abilities (2 chances to block/dodge physical attacks, 2 chances to absorb/deflect magical attacks)

Here's the full stats list as of now, complete with explanations.

And oh, by the way . . . almost all of these stats are going to be running in the background, so the most you'll have to worry about is "wow, that mage just kicked my *ss. I'd better add a few points to my magery stat so that my magic defense goes up."

Base Stats:

Attack
Defense
Speed
Magery
Vitality
Dexterity
Willpower
Luck

Derived Stats:

Weight Allowance – Attack + Vitality/ 2
Move Range – Speed/4
Stamina – Vitality + Attack/2
Guts – Vitality + Willpower/ 5
Evasion – Speed + Dexterity/ 4
Accuracy – Dexterity/3
Magic Resistance – Magery + Evasion/2
Magic Deflection – Magery/2 + Willpower/3
Magic Defense – Magery + Defense/2
Magic Attack – Magery + Attack/2
Block – Defense/2 + Attack/4
Charisma – Willpower/3

Non-combat Stats:

Alignment
Charisma

Base Stats:

Attack - How much damage is added to your physical attack
Defense - How much damage is subtracted to your enemy's physical attack
Speed - How fast you can move, both across the battlefield and in combat
Magery - Your knowledge of magic
Vitality - How much abuse your body can take and continue to keep going
Dexterity - How nimble and coordinated you are
Willpower - How strong your mental control and determination is
Luck - How lucky you are (value gets added to one of your stats for a battle, which is randomly chosen by a dice roll)

Derived Stats:

Weight Allowance – How much junk you can personally carry into battle. Going over this allowance will bring several (as yet to be decided) penalities (such as - 5 to Speed, etc)

Move Range – How many "squares" you can move in any direction during battle (1 square = 5 ft)

Stamina – How many HP you recover after every round in battle

Guts – Your % chance to get back up with 1/4 hp after being taken down to 0

Evasion – Your % chance of completely dodging an enemy physical attack

Block – Your % chance to block an opponent's attack

Accuracy – A % that gets added to your to-hit chances

Magic Resistance – Your % chance to harmlessly absorb/dissipate a magic spell

Magic Deflection – Your % chance to cause the magic spell to miss/not effect you

Magic Defense – This value is subtracted from however much damage that spell just caused

Magic Attack – This value is added to however much damage your spell just caused

Non-combat Stats:

Reputation – How (un)popular & well-known you are in the current area, can help or hurt you for recruiting new soldiers and purchasing equipment

Fame – Your “score”, and just a general indication of how famous you are

Alignment – Are you good or evil? A positive number indicates you are on the side of good, a negative that you are evil. In general, it is much easier to convince like-minded NPCs to join your cause than those of opposite alignment.

Charisma – How skilled you are at negotiation, which affects recruitment and purchasing new equipment.
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 05:34   #6
Mad cat
The Dust Bunny That Bites

Mad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to behold

inspectre dm sow NOW 's a good thread ida dont abandon it
Mad cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 07:53   #7
Darkling
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Darkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to behold

A slight thought really, but what about that characters that arnt really charismatic, could you include intimidation as negotion skill. Make merchants fear you and so lower their prices in an order to appease them.

Last edited by Darkling; 29 Nov 2003 at 17:33.
Darkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 13:29   #8
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

AcidK has a spectacular aura aboutAcidK has a spectacular aura about

I'll join
Demand to see life's manager.
Make life rue the day it thought it could give me lemons.
Do you know who I am?
I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down!
With the lemons.
I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!
AcidK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 16:32   #9
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

Ur_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the rough

Alright, I'll help out (if you want). I'll even try to write a small RP post.
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 19:59   #10
No Dachi

No Dachi is infamous around these parts

Vaguely interested.
That Noble Sin; whilst Luxury
Emply'd a Million of the Poor,
And odious Pride a Million more.'

-The Grumbling Hive: or, Knaves Turn'd Honest, Bernard Mandeville
No Dachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 20:00   #11
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Mad Cat

Quiet you. I don't need two consciences bugging me about TSW.

Darkling

That is actually a good idea. I'm not sure if charisma will be an important stat, or even a stat at all now, after a bit more thought. Certainly, either way, if you are known as the notorious "Rathor the Butcher", merchants are going to want to keep you happy.

AcidK

Ur_Quan

Excellent. :-D I'd be quite happy to have your help. The tests should start fairly soon, once I get all of the Excel spreadsheets worked out (thus reducing my amount of work down to simply plugging in a few numbers. )
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 29 Nov 2003, 00:01   #12
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

I was thinking about Darkling's suggestion to add "intimidation" as a skill, couldn't you just incorporate that in "charisma" in the same way you did with "alignment" and take the absolute value in most cases while including the appropriate sign in some?

Also, is there a real difference between evading and blocking a physical attack (e.g. blocking still causes minor damage) and between resisting and deflecting a magic attack? If not, wouldn't it be better to keep it simple and use only one skill for each?

While I'm at it, I think "magery" sounds a little dodgy, why not use "lore" or "magic lore" instead? (Just a suggestion. )
Unread 29 Nov 2003, 17:42   #13
Darkling
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Darkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to behold

Well the aprt about charisma seems fine, although problem does arise charisma can be difned in lot of things, one can be charcmastic looks wise, or through words. To in the way they cat themselves creating somthing likable about them. But that just complacating matters more. So we shall leave that point, but on another side idea charisma isnt all that used for getting better pirces at mercahnts. It may help but it wont stop those who have tight purses, and are quick to take your coin. So it would perhaps be bets to rather use somthing along lines of aprasing/merchant craft. Apriasing being ability to see if somonthing is worth its money and not be conned easly, merchant craft being a skill of having subtle guile enough to barter for lower prices.

Going onto point of lore, to me lore means more knowledge wether it be of ancient languages, lost civialisations, etc, so magic lore would be the better, or perhaps call it arcane lore if magic doesnt suit. Thinking about it using lore could help across multipude of feilds from buying the goods of certain cultures, knowledge of that culture would help you know if objects fake or not, to as far as fighting if there is a set or nootourous wya fighting a people use or somthing as far flung as that.

Last edited by Darkling; 29 Nov 2003 at 17:49.
Darkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2003, 08:10   #14
Dunin Hemm
Bärsärkarvarg

Dunin Hemm is on a distinguished road

Sign me up as interested.
Dunin Hemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 2003, 20:48   #15
Zappa Tenderlea
Grote Boze Rocker

Zappa Tenderlea is infamous around these partsZappa Tenderlea is infamous around these parts

for those charisma stats etc, why not do like Vampire:the Masquerade, and give every point you get for a stat a specific meaning, like someone with 10 charisma can still be an utterly uncharismatic person, but have like 3 points intimidation, 5 points bargaining, 2 points diplomacy....

oh hell, I'll just paste part of my char from vampire

9 Physical Traits: 3 Social Traits: 5 Mental Traits:
O Agile O Diplomatic O Alert
O Brawny O Friendly O Attentive
OO Enduring x2 O Intimidating O Determined
O Nimble O Disciplined
O Quick O Rational
O Resilient
OO Tough x2

I have but one wish: to see you all rot in hell before I trade this life for eternity

The truth can't hurt you, it's just like the dark, it scares you wittless, but in time you see things clear and stark
Zappa Tenderlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 2003, 23:21   #16
Ryon Jkar
Prince of the Dawn

Ryon Jkar is infamous around these partsRyon Jkar is infamous around these parts

I'll join
Unread 4 Dec 2003, 23:53   #17
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

Well, it's certainly true that charisma comes in many ways, but I think that applying that to the game would make it needlessly complicated, and it doesn't add a lot to the game.
Similarly, I think a seperate skill for talking into merchants isn't very desirable. It's not like you'll be spending a lot of time doing this.
It's Inspectre's choice of course, to take his thread as far as he wants to, but I'd say stick with the basics first and add secondary stuff from there if the need or desire arises.
Unread 11 Dec 2003, 16:47   #18
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

I think Charisma is quickly becoming needlessly complicated, so I'm probably going to be removing it as an actual stat that you put points toward. And really, charisma is more about your actions that your physical and mental traits anyway. However, the reason I bothered with it in the first place was not simply for dealing with merchants. The biggest time that charisma comes into play is when you're attempting to recuirt new followers, hire servants/bodyguards, etc. Merchant negotiation is just a small part of that. :-p

On the plus side, I think we should be pretty much ready to begin testing at least the basic combat system. Therefore, anyone who is still interesting in testing things, create a character. You have 40 points to spend on the 8 basic stats, as follows (this point total may be increased for the actual thread, depending on how weak/strong your characters are. You must assign at least 1 point to each stat, and cannot have over 15 in any one stat.

Attack
Defense
Speed
Magery
Vitality
Dexterity
Willpower
Luck
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 11 Dec 2003, 17:35   #19
flapjack
crashed computer

perfect. any restrictions on race ?

name: flapjack (no special names for a test, i'll make a good name for the real thread)
race: mountain elf
class: mage
skills:
Attack--- 2
Defense--- 3
Speed--- 5
Magery--- 12
Vitality--- 3
Dexterity--- 7
Willpower--- 5
Luck--- 3

my magery skill will rule you all !

Unread 11 Dec 2003, 18:34   #20
Zappa Tenderlea
Grote Boze Rocker

Zappa Tenderlea is infamous around these partsZappa Tenderlea is infamous around these parts
name: Grol
Race: golum
class: magicaly created tool, a slave to his wizard

Attack:5
Defense:6
Speed:1
Magery:1
Vitality:10
Dexterity:15
Willpower:1
Luck: 1

I have but one wish: to see you all rot in hell before I trade this life for eternity

The truth can't hurt you, it's just like the dark, it scares you wittless, but in time you see things clear and stark
Unread 11 Dec 2003, 18:34   #21
Wraith[x]
Moo?

Wraith[x] is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope you're still accepting sign-ups! If not, I guess I'll have to just go off in a huff and sulk.

Name - Wraith
Race - Dwarf
Age - Uhhh not sure how dwarves age Kinda young, the Dwarvish equivalent of aroun 24 in Human years...
Class - Fighter

Stats
Attack - 11
Defense - 12
Speed - 3
Magery - 1
Vitality - 4
Dexterity - 2
Willpower - 3
Luck - 4

Well your magery sure owned mine...
Unread 11 Dec 2003, 18:48   #22
flapjack
crashed computer

yea, but that golum thing zappa is using, it's slow as hell, yet it has a high dexterity.

i think those points in dex are better spent in attack and defense.

i could have gone for 15 magery, but decided not to because it would leave my dex even lower then what it is now, whereas now i can still dodge pretty good and move at a reasonable speed, my magery is really good and my willpower is sufficient

Unread 12 Dec 2003, 07:02   #23
Zappa Tenderlea
Grote Boze Rocker

I think you should stfu and not interfere with other people's char.

Unread 12 Dec 2003, 07:54   #24
Dunin Hemm
Bärsärkarvarg

Dunin Hemm is on a distinguished road

Name: Asghan
Race: Human

Attack: 11
Defense: 8
Speed: 4
Magery: 1
Vitality: 6
Dexterity: 3
Willpower: 5
Luck: 2
Dunin Hemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2003, 17:11   #25
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

I'll join too, char is ready, but have to reply to ICE9 thread first thing when I get back tonight.
Unread 13 Dec 2003, 05:18   #26
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

Name: Styx
Race: Undead lich (human)
Class: Mage

Background:
Styx used to be a powerful mage, but one day, a long time ago, a spell went horribly wrong and backfired, sucking the lifeforce out of Styx. Because his body was saturated with magic at the time, this didn't kill Styx, but instead turned him into a lich that feeds itself with the lifeforce of other beings. Unlike most other liches, Styx didn't resort but necromancy, but kept developing his former magical powers, hoping to be able to change back into his former self one day.

Stats:
Attack: 1
Defense: 2
Speed: 4
Magery: 15
Vitality: 15
Dexterity: 1
Willpower: 1
Luck: 1

OOC- I decided to type up a short background for the char to make the stats at least acceptable characterwise. The reason I chose these stats, is that I wanted to create a character that I feel is overpowered statwise (for testing purposes). I'm not sure whether or not you round off all the (derived) skills, but some of the base skills just do not seem very efficient to me. Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspectre
Magic Resistance – Magery + Evasion/2
That's a derived stat depending on another derived stat. Was that your intention or did you mean "defence" instead of "evasion"? -OOC

OOC- I think you have to more with luck. Use it in some of your derived stats, because currently it works like gambling. I like it that way, but it's not effective for your character, because all it does, is that it adds all the points you spent on luck, to another skill (not sure whether they're base or derived skills or both). Now, suppose I'm a powerful warrior, why would I spend my points on luck, hoping that during a battle, I will be lucky and get extra attack skill while I can just add the points to attack right away and rule out the factor of having to be lucky? There are only 2 cases where a lot of luck might be desirable and that's if: A)you want the ability to have different stats all the time (but this requires you to have your luck add to exactly the right stat each time, which is extremely unlikely, or B) you have max (15) points in a skill and are hoping to temporarily raise that skill by adding your luckpoints to exactly that skill. -OOC

OOC- I like Zappa's character. It's original and I think it'll be pretty powerful as well. -OOC