User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 20 May 2007, 09:09   #1
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
The little red flag rising - Finland going interwebnet cencorship

It's a bad joke, really.

It all started with this woman called Susan Kuronen. She was involved in arelationship (the traditional one, starting from the first date onwards) with the Finnish Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen. Once the relationship eventually went tits up, the single mother Kuronen was feeding the media on a huge frenzy regarding the subject. Needless to say, Kuronen and Vanhanen were on the topics for quite a while in the Finnish tabloid scheme. After the tabloids cooled off, Kuronen decided to write a book (in Wikipedia, translated as "The Prime Minister's Bride") on his relationship with Vanhanen. Of course, she included very private material, such as mobile text messages, private moments, and so on. Somewhere during, she had time for some erotic pictures series on a cheap gossip mag. Vanhanen himself reacted coolly, denying commenting on his private life. There were speculations on him being able to sue Kuronen for some of her actions, but Vanhanen didn't want to go to court to further spoon his life in public.

So, this a lot caused an uproar. People reading the tabs with their morning coffee would think aloud what the **** is that woman (I might be using a certain b-word here but I'm uncertain whether the Finnish police would be after my IP should I do so) doing - again. An online address page (which collects addresses for different causes, had one to support Lordi when people were moaning about their selection for Eurovision 2006, et cetera) pleaded "Shut up Kuronen" and collected 25,000 individuals to sign up on the request. At the same time, online discussions regarding her recent incidents were hotting up. As Vanhanen is generally considered a very reliable and respected person in Finland, the public reaction to Kuronen's (attempt, maybe?) to put spots on the PM's reputation received a hot reaction. Not just the address. On a large Finnish internet portal, called Suomi24, the discussions heated up to the point where no words were spared describing what kind of a person Kuronen is.

Now, out of 32 people using a wide variety of selected adjectives and nouns to describe Kuronen as a person on Suomi24 portal discussion boards, the court has received 21 IPs of the posters. Kuronen is insisting on charges being pressed for slander (God/the universe/karma really has a sense of irony) against some of the posters who had evidently used words such as "slut", "bitch", and "whore" to describe Kuronen.

A prominent member of the Finnish court system has already been quoted saying internet discussions need more supervision. I better start being careful with what I post. Especially on Finnish forums. I guess we're about five inches away from going heads on China with the internet.

Dear it's so outrageously ridiculous.

(Kuronen broke 100k hits on Google February 20th, so she's probably at 250k by now).
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote