User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

View Poll Results: How long should rounds 14 and 15 last?
8 weeks 82 27.70%
9 weeks 42 14.19%
10 weeks 172 58.11%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 3 Jun 2005, 15:51   #1
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
Round 14 and Round 15 lengths

The last 2 rounds of Planetarion have been 10 weeks. This seems to have worked reasonably well, however in some ways shorter rounds would be better:

Having a short round 14 would allow Round 14 to be a summer round and not go to far into the Autumn, this in turn allows Round 15 to start earlier and potentially not have to clash with xmas.

Round 14 is at the moment set to be in July at some point, if we assume mid July and 8 week round finishes 1st week of september. This would allow Round 15 to start as late as the end of October. This gives plenty of time for testing.

9 week rounds should also allow round 15 to finish before xmas, but would restrict testing to an extent.

So the question is what is it you the players want? Please vote in the poll and post opinions.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 15:58   #2
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Round 14 and Round 15 lengths

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...53#post2890153

People might want to take a look at that thread so they know how this poll came about and reasons behind it.
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 16:01   #3
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

10 weeks then... 8 weeks is just to short i think, not enough to get a clear winner (unless the round is really unbalanced stats/race/politic wise)
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 16:22   #4
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

I'd say 10 weeks but school starts in september so I'd rather have R14 finish before school starts so I can make a decent start to the school year
_Kila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 16:32   #5
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

It doesn't matter one bit to me as long as round 14 starts mid-july.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 16:40   #6
Melesse
The Nephilim

Melesse is an unknown quantity at this point

I would prefer whichever gave me more planetarion. Although, I am a little partial to shorter rounds, being as how I normally get bored around tick 1000. This time has proved a little more interesting, and I'm still playing this time lol. So whichever works better for the PAteam.

Melesse
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 17:54   #7
Rocko

Rocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of light

Have to admit,.. the last 2 weeks of this round i've got a little bord,.. not sure if that's to do with the round comming to an end,.. or to do with it being 10 weeks,...

thus i vote 8 weeks,.. thus it also means people have the chance to push through and do 8 weeks of no sleeping, b4 catching up for a week or two :P
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 18:13   #8
flikman
Idiot

flikman can only hope to improve

8 weeks would be ok, but only if they reduce the time between rounds!

WTF is the 4-6 weeks wait for ?

Beta testing could be done in a day or two.
flikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 18:20   #9
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flikman
8 weeks would be ok, but only if they reduce the time between rounds!

WTF is the 4-6 weeks wait for ?

No, it can't. You clearly have no idea of what beta testing really is. 1-2 weeks needs to be allowed for betas, minimum.

Voted for 9 weeks, as long as Round 14 starts as soon as possible - that way Round 15 isn't too short. 8 weeks is my preferred option if Round 14 takes some time to arrive.
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 18:23   #10
Guran
Puppet Master

Guran will become famous soon enoughGuran will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flikman
Apparently you don't understand the first bit about beta testing. Whenever they make bigger changes in code everything should be tested properly and not like they have been before. No wonder we've found bugs in game so often in the past rounds. Changing code in middle of round is not as easy as you may think and they are reluctant to do it unless it's crucial.
Guran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 19:01   #11
flikman
Idiot

flikman can only hope to improve

I think everyone agrees a Cat boost was needed mid round, and also most coders will agree that it woulda taken 5minutes to update the stats.
flikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 19:32   #12
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold

^^
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 19:35   #13
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

its takes all of 5s to update the stats, just mid round stats changes are generally untested and its hard to see the overall effect, so they are a bad idea.

If people read the announcements they will see that next round has a fair few changes that will need testing, so we are likely to need 2 weeks of testing and thats assuming things go well. Of course the changes have been verified to work in an alpha testing phase, but full testing with more people is essential.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 3 Jun 2005, 19:52   #14
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

10 weeks imo, ive enjoyed the length of the last 2 rounds.
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 20:14   #15
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I'm caught in two minds, as i've made clear I think that 10 weeks can be too intensive hence why ive been pushing for some kind of short breaks at intervals in the game and obviously an 8 week round would reduce how intensive it was.

However a reduction to 8 weeks is worrying for two reasons
1) The value for money is getting less every round. If we shave another two weeks off the round we are getting closer to paying MMORPG prices for a much simpler and cheaper to run game which damages the claim of it being one of the best value p2p multiplayer online game around
2) It gives much less time to react to things happening.For example with 2 weeks less F-Crew this round might not have been able to undo the advantage that APA and Coven gained over them with mergers. Especially when you consider that the last two weeks are the time when most players are likly to drop their levels if somthing goes wrong ( its a view that they re wrong with but many feel that in the last two weeks if you lose alot of ships your round is screwed, infact the lowe value probally means greater xp gains and easier targets to hit for these gains so is probally helpful)
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 20:58   #16
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

I went for 9 weeks, I dont want it to clash with xmas, despite getting less value for money.
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 21:36   #17
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

PA has ever done beta testing?
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 21:44   #18
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of

The roundlength isnt so much of a matter, tho the deadtime inbetween rounds is. I'd say never more than 3 weeks between rounds.

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

DrunkenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 21:48   #19
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenViking
The roundlength isnt so much of a matter, tho the deadtime inbetween rounds is. I'd say never more than 3 weeks between rounds.
when u say 3 weeks do u mean 3 weeks betwene tick stop and tick start, 3 weeks between end of havoc and tick start, 3 weeks between tick stop and signups, 3 weeks between end of havoc and signups?

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 3 Jun 2005, 22:03   #20
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Furball, 9 weeks would be ideal, but 8 weeks if necessary.

By the way, last time we played over Christmas (round 3) some of us suggested a christmas break and were told something along the lines of 'piss off noobs this is a war game'. Planetarion has never broken for christmas since, it's never had to. Rounds 5 and 6 were timed neatly either side of christmas, round 8 finished early, and round 10 was shorter than previous rounds anyway, I believe.

Seems odd to be thinking about Christmas in June...
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 04:13   #21
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

i prefer 10 weeks, but would be ok with 8 IF research & construction are speeded up.
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 04:31   #22
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
However a reduction to 8 weeks is worrying for two reasons
1) The value for money is getting less every round. If we shave another two weeks off the round we are getting closer to paying MMORPG prices for a much simpler and cheaper to run game which damages the claim of it being one of the best value p2p multiplayer online game around
I suggested in that other thread that an 8 week round would be good value for money IF a speedgame credit was bundled in with the price. This is different to having a free speedgame, as only paid planets would have a credit to this speedgame (plus anyone who wants to purchase a speedgame credit etc etc).

That way, players get an 8 week round, and some hardc0re PA action whilst the next round is being tested etc. This is a fair compromise, imo.

/me goes to that thread to see whether my idea was flamed or not .

As for round lengths, i'd like to see R14 be 8 weeks and R15 to be 9 or 10. I'm not sure exactly why - but is that important?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 04:41   #23
Duncan
saint-ciboire de tabarnac

Duncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud of

Waiting extra weeks (beyond testing) to start round 14 because of exams or whatever seems dumb. Many people had exams and other real life issues this round. You'll never time it to make everyone happy so I say just start as soon as possible. I guess the main thing you have to figure out; would you lose more money having a long break or starting early?

As far as game length, I would prefer 10 weeks.
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 06:26   #24
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

How about 8 weeks for R14 and 10 weeks for R15?

If this isnt posible then 9 weeks for each so we have no christmas clash

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 06:29   #25
Corron
Subh HC

Corron is an unknown quantity at this point

i think 10 weeks is best value for money.

The rise of Honor, Loyalty and Dedication.
Corron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 09:11   #26
Ali
Subh HC

Ali is a jewel in the roughAli is a jewel in the roughAli is a jewel in the rough

10 weeks for both rounds... war doesnt stop for a holiday that not everybody even celebrates..

10 weeks gives best play out of a round and crucial things happen in the last weeks. also gives best value imho
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 09:42   #27
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

It's not like PA ever stopped because of Ramadan either
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 09:44   #28
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
its not like people actually need to stop playing PA for Ramadan. They carry on with their normal lives
_Kila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 09:56   #29
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler
How about 8 weeks for R14 and 10 weeks for R15?

If this isnt posible then 9 weeks for each so we have no christmas clash
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 11:17   #30
Bowen
Here Comes The Pain!!!!!!

Bowen has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i went 10 weeks cos i was thinking about new ppl joining they wanna chance to get to #1 spot hehehe

Rnd 3 - 6: Legion
Rnd:12 - 14: Rock
Rnd 20 (Part): Rock
Rnd 24: NewDawn (Winners)
Rnd 25: Rock

Sig reduced cos of moaning lil girls
Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 11:21   #31
Rocko

Rocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of light

ok i've already voted, but i do have an idea,.. how about sticking to the 10 week thing,.. so people dont loose value for money,.. but have a 5 day - 1 week break over xmas ??? i
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 11:27   #32
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I voted 9 because I'm starting to lose interest. But I'm conservative, so don't change too much at once. I'd prefer a round starting at xmas because I have a lot of time to play then (as I know a lot of others have).

Note: planning has never been a strong point in this game. Just start asap for the optimal round length. Don't think half a year ahead. There might be some bugs forcing roll-backs or other technical problems. Development of rnd 14 or 15 might take a tad longer than expected etc.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS

Last edited by Gerbie; 4 Jun 2005 at 11:34.
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 12:39   #33
tombcfc
thomus always sober...

tombcfc is an unknown quantity at this point

i would rather see the longer rounds, i think 10 weeks is fine and anthing shorter would feel like the round was over to quick.

Short rounds doesnt give you enough time to rebuild your lost ships if you have lost them half way through it hampers your chance to rise through the ranks. why pay the same amount for less time ok its only a fiver but the rounds are getting shorter and shoter. If you do lose intrest then thats your fault and if the quests do get added to the game next round then it might bring more intrest back into the game,

As i see it a lot of n00bs and players seem to give up far to easily and you wonder about the different galaxies seeing half of them still at 5mil, many a times ive wanted to give becuase of being pwned but never as half of you. Maybe it could be made slightly easier for the first time players of the game who for their fist time playing dont expect wave after wave of attack
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 17:13   #34
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

I say 8 weeks because 10 weeks without decent sleep wrecks mine and nutkins head
And it also gives me x-mas with my daughter.
So go for 8 weeks this round and 10 weeks round after that
Just hope maybe research maybe a little bit quicker if there is less round time.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 17:15   #35
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

9 weeks, with an optional extra week to allow for server stoppages.
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 17:56   #36
Zero
uber pe0n

Zero will become famous soon enoughZero will become famous soon enough

im not too concerned with the round length, more the start date of rnd 15.
i would prefer it mid/late september at earliest as most students will be back at uni and settled in by then to make a good effort for the rnd.
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 03:03   #37
Merlin
Wizard

Merlin is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Round 14 and Round 15 lengths

I'm in for 10 weeks, anything that shortens the round along with all the lame changes so far just makes it more annoying. The long lag between rounds is killing us as well. Maybe its about time we tweaked the code when it comes close to working instead of adding yet another batch of bugs & inconsistent play. Get some stats that are fair. Work out the tech tree to finish faster, get the bugs out and lets have a few rounds where the game only has minor tweaks or bug fixes, and stop calling bugs game features. DO a rewrite if you must but don't test it out on us when we pay. And for godsakes lose the XP points thats the biggest exploited crock of shite since round one. Come to think of it Xan would like thier BS's back and some anti frig that works would be nice too. If your gonna supposedly give every race weakness, I suggest you hand out XP for defence then, but 100% better if you fix the stats and do away with XP.

Merlin
Rnd 1 till now

and yes I had to re-reg my account damned rewrites

Last edited by Merlin; 5 Jun 2005 at 03:11.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 10:51   #38
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

It's week 23 coming week right? I'd say 2x 10 weeks, with R15 ending just before X-mas, and havoc in the X-mas vacation. That can be done easily if the time between 2 rounds isn't so frigging long. 28 weeks should be enough for 20 weeks of playtime, + 2 x 4 weeks in between.
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 11:05   #39
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin
I'm in for 10 weeks, anything that shortens the round along with all the lame changes so far just makes it more annoying. The long lag between rounds is killing us as well. Maybe its about time we tweaked the code when it comes close to working instead of adding yet another batch of bugs & inconsistent play. Get some stats that are fair. Work out the tech tree to finish faster, get the bugs out and lets have a few rounds where the game only has minor tweaks or bug fixes, and stop calling bugs game features. DO a rewrite if you must but don't test it out on us when we pay. And for godsakes lose the XP points thats the biggest exploited crock of shite since round one. Come to think of it Xan would like thier BS's back and some anti frig that works would be nice too. If your gonna supposedly give every race weakness, I suggest you hand out XP for defence then, but 100% better if you fix the stats and do away with XP.

Merlin
Rnd 1 till now

and yes I had to re-reg my account damned rewrites

If you read announcements you would know that round 14 is only bug fixes and minor changes rather than major changes.

The lag between round 12 and 13 has been the only "long" lag and that was largly due to Spinner being ill and in hospital.

Round 14 will start as soon as possible.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 5 Jun 2005, 12:03   #40
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

it should have been 8 weeks, then i would have finished with atleast some fleet left =D

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 10:16   #41
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

furssie can only hope to improve

8 weeks is long enough.
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 11:02   #42
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Beta testing is overrated. Changes are only incremental, it's not like a whole lot of stuff changes in the grand scheme of things. The problem with the beta is that instead of testing specific changes, people seem to think it's an opportunity to suggest all kinds of other changes. That, in my past experience, is why it takes so long.

I can see advantages to both shorter and longer rounds, so in the spirit of compromise (or is it indecision?) I'm voting for 9 weeks.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 11:44   #43
Guran
Puppet Master

If research lengths are tweaked somewhat, I got no problem with a bit shorter rounds.
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 16:39   #44
Melesse
The Nephilim

Melesse is an unknown quantity at this point

I noticed some people were wanting a mid round break in the middle of rounds...Would it be worthwhile to have a midround break in R14 to do a quick Beta with say 15 minute ticks or something?

I mean, if R15 is going to be a big change, someone can work on the stats in the first part of the round, have a quick beta, fix some bugs and problems, then have a shorter beta at the end of R14 so we can get kicking into 15 pretty quickly.

I still think Shorter is better. Yea, longer is better for the bigger players, but for anyone lower then say 600 or so, it gets old fast sucking.

Melesse
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 17:27   #45
Guran
Puppet Master

I dislike the idea of any breaks in middle of round. I could understand a 1-2 days break over christmas but not more than that.
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 11:55   #46
WesseH
Big-shot in my own mind.

WesseH is on a distinguished road

hmmm

how bout 16 weeks?

then round 14 can have utter decent beta testing and finish nicely before christmas, while round 15 can then be properly tested from christmas till early januari and kick off in the new year :-P

also it would take away the idea of less value for money, as it would nicely increase the value for money even, and as wakey pondered, there will be plenty of time to adapt to major changes in the game :-)

16 week rounds have my vote! (18 if possible!)
WesseH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 13:39   #47
Bee

Bee is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
its about feckin time it does! lets celebrate all holidays!!! lets even have a break on mother/fathers day!
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 14:27   #48
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
its about feckin time it does! lets celebrate all holidays!!! lets even have a break on mother/fathers day!
Yeah and saturdays and sundays too, and no more than 8 hours a day anyway, with a break for lunch.
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 21:06   #49
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

If the round is shortened with it decrease the cost of the round? If the price is the same longer is better!

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 21:09   #50
Paddy
ND for life

Paddy is a splendid one to beholdPaddy is a splendid one to beholdPaddy is a splendid one to beholdPaddy is a splendid one to beholdPaddy is a splendid one to beholdPaddy is a splendid one to beholdPaddy is a splendid one to beholdPaddy is a splendid one to behold

I voted for 8 weeks as I won't be able to play r14, or if I do will be very inactive and want to miss as little PA as possible. Also don't want it to run over x-mas, or if it does then at the very least stop for x-mas day, preferably for a couple of days after as well. For those of you saying it is a war game so it shouldn't stop for x-mas: even WW1 stopped on x-mas day, the two sides had a football match.
Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote