User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Closed Thread
Unread 7 May 2005, 18:57   #1
Furyous

Furyous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to behold
[Declined] Completely Random Idea

This would completely change the game, and the politics, but also make it a little more realistic (as much as pa can reflect reality, that is).. maybe an idea for a future round.

What if, in order to join an alliance in-game, you had to be the same race as the founder of the alliance.. Therefore, each alliance would choose a race before the round, and all their players had to join said race, or look for another alliance. Of course it would help to take certain crucial weaknesses from races (i.e. as Cathaar dont really have much anti CO, well not any that's fast enough anyway, balance the race to better def against all races). You would still have strengths and weaknesses. To allow this you could have say 2 or 3 research trees for ships within each race.. so some cats can defend xans well but not others.

If you wanted to change alliances and thus race, the change race in game feature discussed elsewhere would allow this at an appropriate cost to the player concerned.

I don't know how well it would work, but it would be quite interesting to see waring 'races', rather than waring alliances...

Probably politically incorret I'm sure!

p.s. sorry if someone else has said this and it has already been discussed...

Last edited by Furyous; 7 May 2005 at 19:13.
Unread 7 May 2005, 19:26   #2
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Completely Random Idea

This would force blocks. I don't think anyone would agree to doing it. I really can't see how they would... :/
very random though :-)
Unread 7 May 2005, 19:45   #3
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I agree with appocomaster. Particularly with current stats.

And it would make the game more boring IMO, particularly for MOs. It would make defensive combos worthless, and force blocks for offensive combos, unless your alliance was zik. And it could also mean an alliance loses a round not because of personal skill, but because of it picking the wrong race and getting into a fight with the wrong alliance. Additionally, it could reduce community based alliances for those who don't want to play a particular race...

Sorry, but I don't like it.
Unread 7 May 2005, 19:57   #4
Furyous

Furyous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to behold

Of course. People won't like it; i knew that. Mostly because it's completely different.

But most, if not all, of those objections can be overcome. The different research trees should provide a better chance of balancing out the races, and it will also make attacking combos a possibility within races as well as out of races.

In terms of skill, yes it would depend more on the command of the alliance: it is more upto their skill to pick their fights with the right alliances and against the right races.

I still believe it to be more realistic also: and realistically, a waring race may well have defectors from another race (think Star Trek lol), so each alliance could be allowed perhaps 5-10% outsiders, while remaining primarily of a single race.

As far as causing community problems, it also brings them closer in that they have to deliberate strongly over which race the alliance should pursue, and consolidate their opinions.

As far as blocking is concerned; yes it would be a worry, but it may also encourage alliance splitting. A 100 player alliance could split into two factions and combo themselves together in that sense. Of course this wouldn't help on the alliance rank fronts, but if they played well and their average scores were the best, and they have lots of players in the top100 and the top gals, it remains a victory.

As i said, it's very different, and very difficult to imagine, but extremely well designed stats could get around most problems, and it is more realistic. maybe an idea for an experimental beta?
Unread 7 May 2005, 20:07   #5
Neutrino

Neutrino is an unknown quantity at this point

I like it, it's different, its realsitic it adds new dimensions to the game did i mention it was more realistic.
I particularly like the idea of having 10% of an alliance been rebels against their own race.
I would really like to see soemthing like this introduced if only to shake things up a bit.
Unread 7 May 2005, 23:34   #6
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

Not entirely sure what the point of this is, beyond 'it would be interesting' and allegedly more realistic. Sure you could split up the research trees of each race to make them more effective v one race or another - but why do you need to restrict their alliances to do this?

And as Gate said, looks quite boring too.
Unread 8 May 2005, 02:54   #7
Bowen
Here Comes The Pain!!!!!!

Bowen has a little shameless behaviour in the past

this is my 2 cents so dont shoot me for it but theres a saying....if it works dont fix it...thank you

Rnd 3 - 6: Legion
Rnd:12 - 14: Rock
Rnd 20 (Part): Rock
Rnd 24: NewDawn (Winners)
Rnd 25: Rock

Sig reduced cos of moaning lil girls
Unread 8 May 2005, 03:19   #8
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyous
If you wanted to change alliances and thus race, the change race in game feature discussed elsewhere would allow this at an appropriate cost to the player concerned.
This is supposed to be more realistic ?
Unread 8 May 2005, 20:17   #9
Furyous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil
This is supposed to be more realistic ?
you would effectively be starting again anyway. you don't change race, you re-start with a different one.
Unread 8 May 2005, 22:25   #10
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

Well effectively it is no change at all, as in order to keep the game mechanics alive they'd make the different research trees of each race similar to the current individual races.. therefore the "nominal" race means nothing.
Closed Thread