User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 26 May 2007, 06:35   #1
dda-II

dda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud of
Dealing with Young People

I have recently had my assignment at the DA's office changed. After being in the homicide unit for about 18 years (10 as the supervisor) I have been moved to supervising the misdemeanor team. This is the entry level for attornies ina DA's office.

I now have nine new attornies to mentor.

I have to admit that my time chatting with the members of gd has actually been of some use in allowing me to communicate with young people.

This could be your chance to influence the lives of others.

Give me advice on how to deal with supervising people who are much nearer to your age than they are to mine.

Any do's or don'ts?

Any tips on what they will actually be thinking when they are smiling at me and saying "Yes sir" after I have given them some inane direction just to screw with their impressionable young minds?

Should I put all managerial decisions uip to gd and see what as a collective group we can do to the criminal justice system in central California?
dda-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2007, 09:11   #2
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts
Re: Dealing with Young People

The people here are to nerdy to do anything criminal atleast.
You do have wannabes like Gordon and Dace, but they are all pimple, no action.

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2007, 09:15   #3
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda-II
Should I put all managerial decisions uip to gd and see what as a collective group we can do to the criminal justice system in central California?
Now you got me scared.
Unread 26 May 2007, 13:22   #4
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Treat them how you would older people and they will be grateful and like you

Unless they take the piss, in which case fire them immediately.
Unread 26 May 2007, 13:30   #5
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of them probably think the world evolves around them. If so is the case, you might want to put them down to earth sooner than later.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2007, 13:50   #6
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I do not really get it, have you been demoted?
Unread 26 May 2007, 14:05   #7
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Dealing with Young People

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Some of them probably think the world evolves around them.
They're attorneys. I think we can assume that's a given*.

*Assuming you meant revolves.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2007, 14:11   #8
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

thanks, tac, ofc I ment revolves.
Unread 26 May 2007, 14:24   #9
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2007, 14:27   #10
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

I am NOT a manager; btw.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2007, 14:41   #11
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Seeing as you are a lot older and have a lot more experience than them I assume that they will expect you to know what you`re talking about. So on the plus side they`ll listen to you and probably do what you tell them to do.

As long as you don`t try and act their age (e.g. saying "Yo dudes, I bought Timbaland`s new track the other day, it`s super phat!") then I don`t see any real problems arising.

By the sounds of it you`re already a supervisor so Just treat them like you treated the people you supervised in the past.
Unread 26 May 2007, 16:00   #12
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Despite what they say, secure people ultimately want a mentor they can look up to rather than someone that engages with them on their own level. If youre effortlessly competent and show it then those that are driven are going to respect you, regardless of whether you go out of your way to learn da lingo of da kids.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2007, 18:45   #13
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
No. The position of supervising the homicide unit is very easy and has little impact as you are supervising people who need no supervision. They are among the most competent people in the office and thus supervision of them usually consists of handing them cases and then listening to them when they wish to rant about what some judge or defense attorney has done that didn't quite suit them.

Being the supervisor of the misdemeanor team is much more demanding in that you need to teach them most of the fundementals of how to actually function as an attorney in an all-too-real courtroom.

There are so many things which new attorneys need to know which I take for granted. I forget so many of the basics which someone had to teach me when I first began.

I keep telling them that my job is to teach them to make proper decisions, not to make those decisions for them. I also feel responsible for teaching them a higher standard of ethics than they would get from watching television or motion picture depictions of prosecutors.
Unread 26 May 2007, 18:47   #14
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
They're attorneys. I think we can assume that's a given*.

*Assuming you meant revolves.
Not true. We aren't doctors you know.
Unread 26 May 2007, 18:51   #15
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd say to be patient and understanding with the newbies (everyone will commit at least one ****up). At the same time, as Deepflow said, treat them like any other attorney and they'll be grateful to have a boss that doesn't treat them like shit. Earn their respect, not through showing off your record but through your actions - demonstrating how to win. They should be fairly reverent of you anyway, given that you're the DDA, but there's nothing like seeing you do your stuff.
Unread 26 May 2007, 18:55   #16
dda
USS Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
As long as you don`t try and act their age (e.g. saying "Yo dudes, I bought Timbaland`s new track the other day, it`s super phat!") then I don`t see any real problems arising.
This is a mistake I can probably avoid as I was never much for lingo, dude.
Unread 26 May 2007, 18:56   #17
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Show em that you post on this forum, and they should be in awe of your youthfullness!
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
Unread 26 May 2007, 18:57   #18
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You shold take them to some remote desert area.

Once there, you should ask them a series of questions (legal or otherwise, I'll leave that to your discretion).

the first one to get a question wrong, you kill them (gun is easiest, but again whateever you feel most comfortable with)

Get the rest to bury the body by digging the grave with their bare hands.

You will permantly gain the full attention.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2007, 19:04   #19
dda
USS Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
You shold take them to some remote desert area.

Once there, you should ask them a series of questions (legal or otherwise, I'll leave that to your discretion).

the first one to get a question wrong, you kill them (gun is easiest, but again whateever you feel most comfortable with)

Get the rest to bury the body by digging the grave with their bare hands.

You will permantly gain the full attention.
Group motivation! Excellent! I knew that consulting PA was the right decision.
Unread 26 May 2007, 19:08   #20
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

[quote=dda
There are so many things which new attorneys need to know which I take for granted. I forget so many of the basics which someone had to teach me when I first began.
[/QUOTE]

you know what they say, once you get to a certain point to expand your own skills you have to teach them to others so that you can learn your own shortcomings