User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:15   #1
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Dante Hicks is not my favourite person

Quote:
Hopefully we will one day reach a level where the ideas of Karl Marx
are roughly equal to those of Charles Darwin. Recently, as I walked
down a South London street, I saw a religious man who was shouting
about God's word, and the heresy of evolutionary theory. Did the
police come and bash his head in? No, people just walked past him,
most of them smirking at this complete nutter. People who have been
educated properly in evolutionary theory see the _logic_ behind it.
(Obviously religion persists, but still...)

Hopefully one day the ideals of the free-market will be as absurd as
creationism. Eventually someone will be shouting about Milton
Friedman's word, and the heresey of Marxism, as people walk past them
laughing.

Darian Linehan
Youre a delusional visionary. Please refrain from making such posts in future.

Last edited by Kurashima; 25 Jan 2004 at 14:14.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:18   #2
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Dante Hicks is such a faggot

im upset you hate dante more than you like me

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:18   #3
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Googling someone is .

There's also some stuff on Google Groups about Duckman if you look (I think). I think there earliest thing is from '99.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:19   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

i don't belive in the THEORY of evolution. (and it IS just a theory, thanks)

edit : i should clarify

whilst i certainly agree that evolution happens in the world, i don't believe it is the method by which the human race has come to be.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:20   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

So do I, as it increases the amount of threads with "dante" in the title.

Anyway, there's various stuff on there (Baron Morte, check out some of the Daniel Dennet posts actually) some of which I don't agree with anymore, but I think most of it should be relatively coherent.

If you search for [email protected] (my old e-mail address) you can find some Usenet posts of people abusing me too. I think there's a specific thread called "[email protected] is a ****ing moron" or something.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:21   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3

edit : i should clarify

whilst i certainly agree that evolution happens in the world, i don't believe it is the method by which the human race has come to be.
Thanks for making this post so my original comments (in Nod's quote) are no longer the stupidest thing in this thread. Hopefully Mark can come here soon and reply to you, thus obliterating the thread.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:22   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I didn't expect to have to say this to you...

LEARN WHAT THE SCIENTIFIC MEANING OF THE WORD 'THEORY' IS YOU NUTTER
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:22   #8
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Yo Dante, communism suck, but hey, better then nodrog at least
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:22   #9
Dante Hicks
Clerk

fs, I just realised I horribly overuse the word "hopefully" even now.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:24   #10
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Googling someone is .

There's also some stuff on Google Groups about Duckman if you look (I think). I think there earliest thing is from '99.
Out of interest,are you just as much of a raving marxist faggot as you were back then and you just dont show it that much here, or have you mellowed out slightly over the last X years?
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:24   #11
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ITT NB3 doesnt quite scrape together enough intelligence to merit his survival
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:24   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

At 12:21
Quote:
Hopefully Mark can come here soon and reply to you, thus obliterating the thread.
At 12:22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:24   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Thanks for making this post so my original comments (in Nod's quote) are no longer the stupidest thing in this thread. Hopefully Mark can come here soon and reply to you, thus obliterating the thread.
I didn't see this post

Quote:
fs, I just realised I horribly overuse the word "hopefully" even now.
You only use it twice, and it's a standard oratoric practice to have repitition of words at the start of sections, it adds flow. Although the word itself is a little weak.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:26   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Out of interest,are you just as much of a raving marxist faggot as you were back then and you just dont show it that much here, or have you mellowed out slightly over the last X years?
I'm still a Marxist but I've probably mellowed out. My biggest influences used to Marx & Engels then Lenin then Kropotkin (possibly). Now it's Marx & Engels / Chomsky / Russell.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:27   #15
Nodrog

Quote:

LEARN WHAT THE SCIENTIFIC MEANING OF THE WORD 'THEORY' IS YOU NUTTER
I think it was fairly obvious from his post that he was trying to make the distinction between evolution as a scientific process, and evolution as a metaphysical theory explaining how humans got here. Try to see past the letters on your screen to the meaning behind them.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:28   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
I think it was fairly obvious from his post that he was trying to make the distinction between evolution as a scientific process, and evolution as a metaphysical theory explaining how humans got here. Try to see past the letters on your screen to the meaning behind them.
I don't see how that's obvious. In fact, if you check his edit, I think he's not saying that at all.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:29   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Yes, I know that. However, his use of the word theory rather precluded him knowing what he was talking about, duder.

'That theory of relativity, it's JUST A THEORY'
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:29   #18
Nodrog

Quote:
I'm still a Marxist but I've probably mellowed out. My biggest influences used to Marx & Engels then Lenin then Kropotkin (possibly). Now it's Marx & Engels / Chomsky / Russell.
The sheer faggotry from Russell alone probably actually manages to eclipse the other 3.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:29   #19
Nodrog

Quote:
Yes, I know that. However, his use of the word theory rather precluded him knowing what he was talking about, duder.

'That theory of relativity, it's JUST A THEORY'
well it is.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:31   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
well it is.
In the sense that it's not a theorem, yes. But I don't see how you can ascribe the word 'just' to the maximum state of probably correctness in the scientific system.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:32   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
The sheer faggotry from Russell alone probably actually manages to eclipse the other 3.
You suck.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:33   #22
Nodrog

Quote:
In the sense that it's not a theorem, yes. But I don't see how you can ascribe the word 'just' to the maximum state of probably correctness in the scientific system.
Its sometimes useful to point out to non-scientists that something is 'just' a theory because a lot of people see scientific theories as having the same degree of 'objectivity' as equations and empirical lab observations, rather than being metaphysical extrapolations of the 2 concepts mentioned above. The layman often has an annoying tendancy to think that "theory X is true because science says so", and it can be illuminating to point out that theory X is 'just' a theory and as such is open to revision at a future date, rather than somehow being an eternal and objective law of science.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:34   #23
Nodrog

Quote:
You suck.
o rly
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:35   #24
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

he has a funny name
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:36   #25
Nodrog

Quote:
Anyway, there's various stuff on there (Baron Morte, check out some of the Daniel Dennet posts actually) some of which I don't agree with anymore, but I think most of it should be relatively coherent.
Quoting this because he should. I like reading Dante's posts because he comes across as being intelligent and articulate even 4-5 years ago when he was just a stupid teenager
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:36   #26
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Of the 6 threads with the word "Dante" in the title, three are abusive towards me, and one of the other ones was closed by a mod with the comments :

WHAT SORT OF A COMPLETE FAGGOT ARE YOU? IT'D ACTUALLY BE LESS GAY IF YOU'D SAID YOU WENT TO HIRE A RENTBOY BECAUSE AT LEAST THEN IT'D BE VAGUELY FUNNY AS WELL!

Thanks guys, I can feel the <3
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:37   #27
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneED
he has a funny name
When I met him he was wearing an 'all your base' t-shirt

true story
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:40   #28
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
we was wearing an 'all your base' t-shirt
Yeah, I think you might want to edit that lest you share in my faggotry.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:40   #29
Nodrog

good call
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:41   #30
Nodrog

dante what are your views on this
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:43   #31
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
dante what are your views on this
From an actual MSN conversation I'm having right now :
I care says:
I still dont belive you have no reservations about having sex with a 15 year old girl

:eek:

But race mixing laws would have the same effect in a rational society anyway
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:45   #32
Nodrog

I think 15 is lower than half your age plus seven mang
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:51   #33
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
I think 15 is lower than half your age plus seven mang
If only all laws had such rational basis.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 13:54   #34
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

mark needs to accept that not everyone is obsessed with empirical proof of everything.

apart from which, how many of you lot actually know anything about darwins theory, and how it came about, and how its been clung too by people despite it not fitting the facts ?

edit : and my emphasis on theory in the first case, was because there is no proof that evolution happened as the major factor in the creation of the human race.
There are plenty of circumstancial facts, which all get nicely linked together though.

Last edited by NEWSBOT3; 25 Jan 2004 at 13:59.
NEWSBOT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 14:05   #35
Nodrog

How can any historical claim involving something that happened X thousand years ago ever be proven other than with circumstantial facts that link together nicely?
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 14:07   #36
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

indeed.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 14:09   #37
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
mark needs to accept that not everyone is obsessed with empirical proof of everything.

apart from which, how many of you lot actually know anything about darwins theory, and how it came about, and how its been clung too by people despite it not fitting the facts ?

edit : and my emphasis on theory in the first case, was because there is no proof that evolution happened as the major factor in the creation of the human race.
There are plenty of circumstancial facts, which all get nicely linked together though.
I liked 2001 too.

(Oh and yeah, the HPS course must be pretty shit for people to turn out like MrL.)
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 14:20   #38
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

Quote:
in what do you believe? god created everything or did you made up your own theory?

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 14:20   #39
Nodrog

Re: Dante Hicks is not my favourite person.

hold on i think some stupid hamhamgot has edited my original post
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 14:22   #40
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
I liked 2001 too.

(Oh and yeah, the HPS course must be pretty shit for people to turn out like MrL.)
hasnt cambridge always been full of stupid overempiricalistic faggots?
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 14:25   #41
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

newsbot need to be bitch slapped for being a troll.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 14:36   #42
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

i would if i was trolling.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 14:52   #43
Deciduous

Deciduous is an unknown quantity at this point

The alternatives to evolution seem to be strung together with even less plausible 'proof'
Deciduous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 15:14   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
However, SCIENCE IS. It's like saying that 'footballers are obsessed with kicking balls, those silly bastards!'

Quote:
Plain darwinism was discarded a long time ago. Science moves on. Aside from that, point out the lack of fitting with the facts, and I'll be glad to discuss them until giles comes along and says something definitive.

Quote:
It depends how you define 'circumstantial', of course. Whilst it is certainly true that there is a lack of repeatable experiment on the subject, it is certainly true that the concept 'evolution' exists, and has been seen to occur (ditto speciation), and it's entirely logical to extend this concept.

I'll also quote giles on the subject:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles
It is daft to assert that 'the theory of evolution' is right or wrong as a whole. Physical theories that get superceded tend to be single mathematical frameworks, so when part goes they collapse entirely, at least as a metaphysical system. Whereas evolutionary theory encompasses pretty much the whole of biology in one form or another, but the logical links are not as strong or rigid as in a physical theory. so if contemporary ideas of speciation turn out to be wrong the rest of the science will be basically ok. It should also be noted that much of evolution is somewhere between (the classic philosophical conception of) science and history, wherein reinterpretation is prevalent rather than outright refutation. Finally, dealing with a process that can be pinned down to a particular time and place helps to make our limited sample of the possible observations more persausive as representatives of the whole.
Whilst it doesn't directly apply (it was responding to a substantially different opinion), there are areas in there which are applicable.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 15:15   #45
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
I haven't taken HPS, although I'd like to. Unfortunately (assuming I'm not changing to mathematics, course wise, instead of sticking with N/C S) I won't be taking it, as I'd be taking Physics, Advanced Physics and Maths. I could still go to the lectures, but the most interesting parts would be the supervisions.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 25 Jan 2004 at 15:22.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 15:16   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
hasnt cambridge always been full of stupid overempiricalistic faggots?
Damn scientists, with their 'empiricism'
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 15:28   #47
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
hold on i think some stupid hamhamgot has edited my original post
haha, you got bitchslapped by the man.

NB3 : And what should I learn about Darwin's theory? I've read quite a few things, and the argument is pretty solid from the literature I've read. I can recommend a few texts if you like from "my side". What would you recommend I read that represents your side?

Nod : Do you actually not believe in evolution, or are you quasi-trolling?
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 15:36   #48
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
And what should I learn about Darwin's theory? I've read quite a few things, and the argument is pretty solid from the literature I've read. I can recommend a few texts if you like from "my side". What would you recommend I read that represents your side?
There's not all the much available for the layman; the best would probably be Dawkins, combined with SJG's more general works on science (this is a general post, not replying to you btw). It must also be noted that, as I said before, evolutionary theory has moved on since Darwin, although more recently we've been finding things that he suggested, that weren't held to be true, actually are (the best example of this is speciation without a physical barrier between the seperating species, which I believed happened in some sort of coral reef based fish in the pacific, although my memory isn't what it was* on this subject)

*I think the entire earth was destroyed
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 15:40   #49
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Even though he sucks in some ways, I really like Dennett's "Darwin's Dangerous Idea". It pretty much does lay out the whole evolution argument well, although it spends too much time having arguments with SJG.

I made the mistake of reading Dawkins after the other stuff (Gould, Dennett, Lewontin, Pinker), so I found his evolution stuff a little "obvious".
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 15:50   #50
Nodrog

Quote:
Nod : Do you actually not believe in evolution, or are you quasi-trolling?
I didnt mention my belief in evolution in this thread... I only posted 2 things semi-related to it; one was a clarification of what I thought NB3 said, and the other was a comment about the use of the word theory in general.