User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 28 Sep 2003, 22:30   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
star trek series?

after that klingon dictionary-thread, which one do you think was the best one ever?

i still think its the next generation. sure there wasnt much of a plot the developed during the whole thing, but it had some really great episodes.
DS9 was nice aswell. it started poor though, but season 3 and 4 where kind of nice. unfortunatly it is supposed to become crap after that and even worse at the end. (i dont know i only saw the first 4 seasons yet)

whats wrong with this new enterprise? i kind of like it, although i have to admit the 3rd season didnt really convice me yet.

the one i dont really like is voyager, by some here called the best of them, whats so good about it? yes, it had a nice idea, totally unknown space and a crew completly alone, but what did they make of it? not much yet (yet in this case means up to about the half of the 3rd season, maybe it becomes better later?)

and TOS, for completness, well that was before my time...
Unread 28 Sep 2003, 22:34   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
I've never been a big fan of any of them but DS9 was probably the best. In the other series the people just went around with their rules and "Prime Directives" and then proceeded to break every rule they held dear in every single episode. At least in DS9 they admitted they were only human and back stabbed and dodgy dealed with the best of them.

Enteprise seems OK, it's easier to relate to it since it's set in not such a distant future so it's less sci-fi.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2003, 22:43   #3
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I personally reckon DS9 is the best of the series.

Although it has a sluggly start, it starts to pick up the pace at S3 and the last two seasons are hands down the reason DS9 wins by default. The reason I like DS9 best is because there is an actual continuing storyline lying behind the whole show, which is less the case with TNG, Voyager and Enterprise. Watching DS9 is actually seeing history being made, whereas the others picture more singled out events.
Unread 28 Sep 2003, 22:47   #4
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
I grew up with TNG, so I think its the best. I simply looooove picard and crew. Though, DS9 last 2 seasons are fantastic as well, although they had the advantage of having cool combat which did a lot for it.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2003, 22:54   #5
insane_in_da_membrane
Blowdried

insane_in_da_membrane is an unknown quantity at this point
I prefer DS9 and Voyager myself though to be honest I like them all except Enterprise. I really haven't gotten into it, probably cause I havent had a chance to watch it though heh
insane_in_da_membrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2003, 23:00   #6
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy

Although it has a sluggly start, it starts to pick up the pace at S3 and the last two seasons are hands down the reason DS9 wins by default. The reason I like DS9 best is because there is an actual continuing storyline lying behind the whole show, which is less the case with TNG, Voyager and Enterprise. Watching DS9 is actually seeing history being made, whereas the others picture more singled out events.
yes, i liked that aswell. i never saw it to the end though, not yet. only the first 4 are out on dvd yet.
but they seem to try something like bthat with enterprise now. i think the whole 3rd season is about this xindi-problem. (up till now there wasnt much about thses xindi, but well see...)
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 11:47   #7
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
well I liked the episodes with Lore and Q in them. other than that, my favourite star trek series was Bablyon 5.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 13:25   #8
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
I really wanted it to be Voyager as it was based around an excellent concept but apart from a very few decent eps it was ****e

DS9 of the last few series without Bjoran religious faggotry is the winner by default, although the first couple of eps in Enterprise series 2 have been good.
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 13:26   #9
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
my favourite star trek series was Bablyon 5.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 14:16   #10
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy

The wars with the Dominon rocked, and there were several other great episodes in S3-7. I have the idea that DS9 had way more real battle than the other series. Especially TNG had only a handfull, most times if they fired a phaser it was to clear some rock about to drop on a planet or something
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 14:41   #11
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
I like them all, there's nothing particularly I like more in one series than the other. However I suppose if I had to pick one it would be TNG partially because I grew up on it and mostly because Data is my favourite character ever. I enjoy DS9 but I don't see the need for a continuing storyline so that makes little difference to me, and it's only just started again on TV recently (after a 2 year break), no idea what season it's up to (wormhole disappeared and Sisko went out looking for a special orb). Enterprise is also airing at the same time and so far I enjoy it a lot, I never thought I'd find a Vulcan sexy though clearly I was wrong . Also bonus point for having Tucker mention my home town (Alice Springs).

=[DJ Bass]=

(B5 is just utter ****. Crap storyline, wank characters and the worst CGI special effects ever, the spinoff Crusade was its only redeeming feature)
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 14:47   #12
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by djbass
(B5 is just utter ****. Crap storyline, wank characters and the worst CGI special effects ever, the spinoff Crusade was its only redeeming feature)
Have you ever actually watched:

A) TNG

B) B5

C) Crusade

?

I ask you to kindly go away, draw the curtains and watch all of them, and then you will discover that B5 is most good, and clearly the best by a wide margin.

Thank you.
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 14:47   #13
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by General Martok
I have the idea that DS9 had way more real battle than the other series.
DS9 had so many battles that most shots were reused in other episodes.

The same two starships were blown up together in about four episodes, I think.

Edit: I really, really wish I didn't know that my current postcount is the registry of the USS Constellation.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 14:59   #14
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
Have you ever actually watched:

A) TNG

B) B5

C) Crusade

?

I ask you to kindly go away, draw the curtains and watch all of them, and then you will discover that B5 is most good, and clearly the best by a wide margin.

Thank you.
LOL! Hardly.

Actually I find it very difficult to make it through even a single B5 episode without falling asleep. If the constant droning over wars doesn't send me off all it takes is that Napolean looking bloke to open his trap and I'm instantly in lala land. Also it appears that in their version of the future toy manufacturer Fisher-Price secured the contract to make all of their ships. Ironically Crusade seems so radically different and dynamic in comparison that it gets .

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 15:17   #15
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
i only watched for sevenof9 in that hot suit of hers.
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 16:00   #16
treelo
Kyuss/qotsa > Deffeh ffs

treelo is an unknown quantity at this point
the 1st one. not with that gay dude. Kirk rocked.
Flashy lights appear.....Shoot.....land on planet....shag the alien chick and kill a few dudes....repeat.

Waiting for the Sun.
treelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 16:10   #17
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Ironically Crusade seems so radically different and dynamic in comparison that it gets .
Didn't Crusade get axed after its first season for being ****?

Or maybe I'm thinking of something else, or just not thinking at all.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 16:12   #18
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by ChubbyChecker
Didn't Crusade get axed after its first season for being ****?
Yes. Which is why I think we should take Mr Bass' opinions on this with a pinch of salt.
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 16:38   #19
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Toccata & Fugue
DS9 = Poor man's B5
that was the beauty of it. straczynski went to the ST producers, and said "I have this idea of a 5 year series based on a space station" they said " a space station, that'll never work, fk off"

Unread 29 Sep 2003, 16:40   #20
Radical Edward

Quote:
Also it appears that in their version of the future toy manufacturer Fisher-Price secured the contract to make all of their ships.
even if you don't like them, they are all better than the ST ships.

(edit) oh, and Newtonian Physics ++ and weapons that actually damage things, rather than just shake the room.

Unread 29 Sep 2003, 16:52   #21
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Toccata & Fugue
DS9 = Poor man's B5
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 17:04   #22
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
(edit) oh, and Newtonian Physics ++ and weapons that actually damage things, rather than just shake the room.
It's called superior defense darling, something those B5 ships could use more of

Anyway, plenty of times have the shields failed and ships been severly damaged, so what exactly are you talking about? (on a side note, even with shielding console panels and the like have been known to suffer damage)

=[DJ BAss]=
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 17:07   #23
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
TOS you wankers.
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 17:15   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Anyway, plenty of times have the shields failed and ships been severly damaged, so what exactly are you talking about? (on a side note, even with shielding console panels and the like have been known to suffer damage)
Well, aside from the issue of why the control circuits have the electrical flow to CAUSE an explosion, rather than just a smaller one because such things are unneccesary, WHY would CONSOLE PANELS explode due to damage to the ship? They're not directly connected to the systems they control after all; there's not a pipe for explosions to travel down to the bridge.

Discussion about shields in following post.
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 17:17   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

B5 is much more physically accurate than DS9; admittedly, there are a few jumps for the plot (hyperspace, artificial gravity (which not all the races have; up until series 5, all Earth Alliance structures had to spin), particle cannons), however, they're much more realistic than transporters and the like.

One thing I didn't realise, however, was that the white star was almost the size of the enterprise e.

Not much contest there, given the relative manouverabilities and firepowers.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 29 Sep 2003 at 17:22.
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 17:17   #26
G_frog
Look over there!

G_frog is an unknown quantity at this point
It's blindingly obvious that B5 was more coherent, ambitious, thematically complex and intelligent than any of star trek, even if lots of the dialogue is awful (although it turns out that JMS actually talks like Sheridan, I don't know if that makes it better or worse).

what possible competition can any ST series offer to Bester, Londo and G'Kar?

anyway, once you've heard Peter Jurasik shout "Virrr, you MOON-FACED ASSASSIN of JOY!" there's no going back.
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 17:19   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

HEAD ON A PIKE

HEAD ON A PIKE
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 17:19   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by G_frog
Bester
They did find Walter first, but that was more as 'token foreigner'
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 17:21   #29
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
B5 is much more physically accurate than B5;
than DS9?
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 17:23   #30
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
than DS9?
Sorry, my mind filtered the phrase 'DS9' from my post.
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 17:26   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Duncan says:
tbh I was hoping someone would say "but B5 isn't star trek" so I could reply "exactly"

But B5 isn't star trek!
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 17:28   #32
Radical Edward

Quote:
Duncan says:
tbh I was hoping someone would say "but B5 isn't star trek" so I could reply "exactly"

But B5 isn't star trek!

exactly!!!!

thanks Mark.

Unread 29 Sep 2003, 17:29   #33
Radical Edward

ST just about did itself in when it had an antimatter missile (an old one that outclassed voyager) with a kinetic arming pin. I mean, wtf?

Unread 29 Sep 2003, 17:37   #34
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Well, aside from the issue of why the control circuits have the electrical flow to CAUSE an explosion, rather than just a smaller one because such things are unneccesary, WHY would CONSOLE PANELS explode due to damage to the ship? They're not directly connected to the systems they control after all; there's not a pipe for explosions to travel down to the bridge.

Discussion about shields in following post.
My geuss would be something EMP related. The exact workings of all the technology can never be fully known, but there are plenty of ways to theorise how it MIGHT occur. For starters, since 90% of the weapons in ST appear to be energy based thats a lot of power. It would come as no surprise then that when a high potential of energy should come into contact with a field of high energy then something has to give. If as a result of the collision between two such energies were to say emit a EMP field then certainly that would be enough to cause critical damage to the control systems. Most of what's electrical is hidden away behind panel walls and things on the ship, the only exposed electrical systems would be the control panels and displays, any such burst of energy would follow the path of least resistance.

I also recall in an episode of Voyager when the crew were shrunk to a size that they could physically enter these vital areas of the ship that many such areas were directly linked to outside components of the ship with little more than some shielding to act as a physical barrier.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 17:40   #35
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

In which case, Star Trek loses by default because they all decide to put their crew at unnecessary risk. As to emp, you can remove that issue using a Faraday cage.

Anyone in space that doesn't protect themselves from EMP should lose all eventual wars as a result.
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 17:52   #36
djbass
mmm.. pills

As I said, we don't know all the factors involved. Special conditions may arise that defeat what might at time of construction have seemed a flawless system of defense.

It's pointless delving into a B5 technology vs ST technology discussion since there isn't a person in the universe(s) qualified to give a definate answer.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 17:54   #37
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

As it's been happening with EVERY SHIP THAT'S BUILT, I think it's a pretty big design flaw
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 17:59   #38
djbass
mmm.. pills

If you want to start nit-picking there's plenty of areas in B5 that seem pretty flawed too.

I'm waiting to be impressed.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 18:04   #39
wu_trax

i saw a lot of B5 episodes aswell (started somewhere in the middle), it was ok, but i still prefer the whole star trek universe.
(thats why this thread is about star trek, not about B5 )
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 18:05   #40
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
TNG was greatamondo in the last two seasons, ok it didnt have a flowing storyline but it never the less rocked

voyager...sucked

DS9 was the one i liked the most, as cyrax has already said without the fcking bajoran religious idiocy, the ending also sucked a bit, but it was the best overall since the characters were more comlpex and willing to do bad things.

B5 i liked to begin with, then dellen(sp?) just pissed the hell out of me. Im not sure why i think it was she was always this do gooder slut who i just didnt 'get'. But i liked the storyline.

Enterprise also kinda sucks, but maybe ive grown out of startrek, paramount should have let the franchise rest for 10 years or so imo.

I also seemed to like all the stuff that other people hated, like earth 2 and above and beyond etc, ah well.
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 18:06   #41
Radical Edward

Quote:
If you want to start nit-picking there's plenty of areas in B5 that seem pretty flawed too.

I'm waiting to be impressed.

=[DJ Bass]=
B5 don't pretend they can explain it though. hence they earn more respect.

Unread 29 Sep 2003, 18:07   #42
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Well,

What's wrong with surface 'shields'? It doesn't have to be a force bubble like in other series, but something physical thing built into the ship.

So what you're saying is that you prefer something unexplained and impossible by today's technology, if not by today's science, to something that's possible?

In addition, considering you were saying that B5 shields were so useless, saying 'Look! They've got good shields!', which is the only other thing I can think you could possibly be talking about, is not really consistent.
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 18:07   #43
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Nusselt
TB5 i liked to begin with, then dellen(sp?) just pissed the hell out of me. Im not sure why i think it was she was always this do gooder slut who i just didnt 'get'. But i liked the storyline.
Delenn.

(ps. One character, vs the WHOLE of TNG?)
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 18:08   #44
G_frog
Look over there!

great.

except that the "shields" in b5 are based on diffrative properties of the hull materials, and their ability to absorb and dissipate (not neccesarily in the same form) massive amounts of energy without damage. which actually explains the massive light flashes, and accounts for shielding in terms of more advanced versions of existing technologies.

if this makes it sound like i'm interested in the physics of b5, i really don't care about this sci-fi penis contest, but as i state here-ish, ignorance annoys me. I prefer B5 for the reasons i already gave.
Unread 29 Sep 2003, 18:09   #45
G_frog
Look over there!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nusselt
B5 i liked to begin with, then dellen(sp?) just pissed the hell out of me. Im not sure why i think it was she was always this do gooder slut who i just didnt 'get'. But i liked the storyline.
Abso-fraggin'-lutely dammit!
Unread 30 Sep 2003, 12:52   #46
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
Quote:
The exact workings of all the technology can never be fully known, but there are plenty of ways to theorise how it MIGHT occur.
Or you could just read any of the consistent and detailed Zimmerman/Sternbach/Drexler/Behr/Okuda technical manuals.
Just a crazy idea.
Quote:
I also recall in an episode of Voyager when the crew were shrunk to a size that they could physically enter these vital areas of the ship that many such areas were directly linked to outside components of the ship with little more than some shielding to act as a physical barrier.=[DJ Bass]=
(a) That was DS9.
(b) They were on a Runabout == easy to cover distance at speed. "Entire route not shown".
(c) Any physics or technology in an episode featuring people shrinking and still being able to breathe/see etc ought to be taken with a great big pinch of salt, and certainly not considered canon.
Unread 30 Sep 2003, 13:53   #47
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

My theory is that it replaced all their electrons with taons, making them much more dense.

Unfortunately, this has the side effect of making them have more mass, so they'd rather destroy anything they stood on due to the immense amount of pressue.
Unread 7 Oct 2003, 21:20   #48
wu_trax

Re: star trek series?

*bump*
voyager really becomes good in the 3rd-4th season.
why is it that star trek series always seem to need 2 crap season before starting to become any good?
Unread 7 Oct 2003, 21:21   #49
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Lies. Voyager has the best episode of Star Trek (Future's End part 1), but Futures End part 2 is rubbish, like the rest of Voyager.
Unread 7 Oct 2003, 21:58   #50
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Lies. Voyager has the best episode of Star Trek (Future's End part 1), but Futures End part 2 is rubbish, like the rest of Voyager.
I like "Message in a Bottle" and "Living Witness".

The one with the mutiny on the holodeck (Insurrection Alpha?) is also quite fun, if completely unbelievable.

I think the best episode is the one with the battle to retake DS9 (Sacrifice of Angels, I believe).
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote